• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I don't look at prices when I go grocery shopping"

CHC

It's not really a "rich" to disregard grocery prices. I mean, they are what they are. And in your average American supermarket the prices don't vary THAT much so fretting all day over which bottle of juice is 20 cents cheaper probably is just not worth it. Better to grab the stuff you like and pay up - still gonna be cheaper than going out to even a modest restaurant.

I mean, since I've been back in school I do find myself looking at prices and getting the cheapest versions of staples for which the quality doens't vary that much - eggs, milk, butter, etc. I can notice a small difference between the more expensive ones but not enough to justify the price - my food is still perfectly delicious without fancy butter or whatever. Better to spend it on good bread, cheese, red meat, seafood, beer or wine - most of which a lot grocery stores don't even have anyway.

I look at prices if there are options. Usually things on sale are really nice, and if it makes no difference to buy the off brand then I'll get it. But I had to train myself to think that way. I don't really think too hard about prices though and I don't go out of my way to save money- I prefer not to stress too much about that stuff.

Klotera

I don't think not looking at prices at the grocery store is that uncommon. Most people have a general idea of what things generally cost. Now, they should be using the store "rewards" card to make sure they get any sale prices, though, as most stores force you to use it if you want the sale price on anything. So, even if you're not looking at individual prices, might as well pay the least you have to.

The only thing I look particularly carefully about prices on is meat, as it seems to vary more and you can catch some good deals on meat if you catch it at the right time.

Greedings

Just sounds like jealousy. I don't look either, but I do look at the grand total, and remove things I don't need from the shop next time if it's too high.

Not judging, but I'm surprised at the number of people who don't look at prices here.

I think most people would notice that price point.

Then they're looking at price, even if they're not doing comparative shopping or looking at price per ounce (which I do since i'm not really loyal to any given brand for the most part).

One of my greatest pleasures in life is comparing items to try and get the best value.

Paying ridiculous amounts of money for items that could be had for less isn't impressive, it's stupid.

Step-Brothers-best-friends.gif

You just said in far fewer words what I was beginning to type.

Phu

Banned
Reminds me of the [fairly tall] guy I used to know who couldn't relate to how crappy seating can be on planes because he had never been on anything less than business class.

Vire

I don't look at prices that much either... I mean if I want to eat chicken. I will buy the chicken breast?

cwmartin

I get the frustration, but honestly, I don't look at a single price tag unless its shit you buy once in a blue moon. Hazelnut butter or something you buy once a year. Otherwise we just buy what we want.

Money can be saved and made I would feel shitty always sacrificing at the grocery store.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I kind of don't look at the prices in grocery stores either, and I'm not rich.

The way I look at it:

1. I'm gonna eat what I want to eat. If I'm making a chili, it really doesn't matter what the cost is. I'm not gonna make something else just because it's cheaper. The price is irrelevant.

2. We need to eat. It's the definition of a necessity. You are going to spend some money on this, no matter what. And whatever you buy at the grocery store is automatically cheaper than whatever you'd buy at a restaurant, convenience store, etc. Just being in the grocery store is the cheaper option in the grand scheme of things, and you don't have to check a price to know that.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Not so much price, but I do try to pay attention to the bright on sale stickers, Price per pound. Or B2G1 kinda stuff. I want to feel like I got a deal. And give them my phone # at check out, because who carries their grocery store members card with them.

old

I'm not keeping a mental record of the price of everything I buy, either. It's odd you would expect someone to recall offhand the price of a coconut.

I do. My mom taught me how to shop and keep a running tally of the total. I'll show up at check out and be within 2-3 dollars of the total I had in my head. Usually adding tax is the catch that throws me off.

What do you want to know? Eggs? 79 cents. Pineapple? $1.99 but I ballpark it to $2. Heavy whipping cream for my coffee? $1.89. Tomatoes? $1.29 for pack of two. Milk gallon was 99 cents. Pack of ground beef was $11.53 for just over 5 pounds.

It's odd to me that someone is so flippant with money that they don't look at prices.

You should, that way you will be in tune to if the figure on the screen you are being charged is right.

Mistakes happen at tills all the time.

If I'm buying 3 items and I expect the total to be X, and it's significantly more, I will know. When I'm scanning items, if something rings up egregiously, I will also know. But if you're asking me if I'm going to notice a difference of a few percentage points, then no. It's not going to kill me to pay $1.05 for a yogurt that normally costs $0.99. I'm not going to pay it much attention because 6 cents isn't worth my time. For all I know, it was an inflation adjustment. If that same yogurt rings up for $5.99, I'll notice.

Poppy

this happened to me when i went to buy pre sliced cheese when i moved from home in with some roommates, my boyfriend at the time was incredulous that i would buy that instead of a block of cheese which is more cost efficient, and i was like well yeah but then i would have to cut it for sandwiches duh, screw that

took a while to become unsheltered

SDCowboy

Then they're looking at price, even if they're not doing comparative shopping or looking at price per ounce (which I do since i'm not really loyal to any given brand for the most part).

I think most folks check what the total price is. There is a difference between that and making a note of the exact price of every item they buy.

I don't usually make a point of checking the price of things I buy at the grocery store, but if I'll notice if the total seems way off because a tube of toothpaste rang up for $20 instead of $4.

Truant

I don't really look at prices either when I'm in a standard grocery store, but I do if I'm in a delicatessen or something. Imported stuff can be crazy expensive here in Norway. Like, I saw a $20 small can of duck rilettes today.

CHC

Not judging, but I'm surprised at the number of people who don't look at prices here.

I mean, I think a lot of is just the fact that there isn't that much price disparity in your average supermarket. Like, take a box of cereal - what's the cheapest one - $3.99? The most expensive is what, like $5.99? I mean to most people that's a trivial difference, you have a general idea of what cereal costs so there's no point thinking about it - just get the one you like and go pay.

Like others have said, I don't really look at prices for the most part because I have a pretty good idea what my bill is going to look like after shopping for the same items so many times. If I'm buying something I don't buy often, I'll probably check. But for the most part I know what my bill is going to be within $5.

Farmer's market being the exception here.

I did some back of the napkin calculation once about how much I could save making a modest effort to compare prices across products and stores, find coupons, buy more in bulk, etc. and it didn't work out to all that much once I accounted for the expenditure of time.

Certainly nothing close to what I'd save from, e.g., cutting cable or stopping myself from buying videogames and records impulsively. Or just giving up just a couple of weekends of drinking pricey alcohol.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is comparing items to try and get the best value.

Paying ridiculous amounts of money for items that could be had for less isn't impressive, it's stupid.

Same, we shop at several different grocery stores for the best deals weekly (Kroger, Publix, Costco, Sprouts, Target, Walmart).

I don't look at the prices of food at the grocery store. Almost 80% of my items are produce. It's not like I am going to put down the onion and drive to another store to price shop.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Am I wrong in thinking it's a little rude to ask someone how much something is that they brought to a get together?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, no, no. I am sorry, but she is your brother's wife, at that point it is basically their money unless she is breaking a budget they have both set.

Yes, because she doesn't work, it is her money as well, but considering the circumstances and how she treats him and how their relationship has evolved (or devolved), if you knew him you'd recognize that he's being used.

It would be less problematic if his finances were to himself, but because he has to ask my parents for money despite making six figures himself, while his wife spends all of it on alcohol and clothes for herself, then it's a god damn problem.

Which is why the topic reminded me of her because a lot of his financial issues would be resolved if she was more mindful of her purchases and actually chose to shop for things on sale, but as it stands that is not how she is.

Even if I was rich I would still get the great value generic stuff. I compare prices to find cheaper I don't get why it makes you feel bad, does not bother me at all.

If it was me I would been all "look at money bags over here!"

Phu

Banned
I mean, I think a lot of is just the fact that there isn't that much price disparity in your average supermarket. Like, take a box of cereal - what's the cheapest one - $3.99? The most expensive is what, like $5.99? I mean to most people that's a trivial difference, you have a general idea of what cereal costs so there's no point thinking about it - just get the one you like and go pay.

Cereal's one of those foods that doesn't seem worth it unless it's on sale.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Doesn't sound like he was saying it to be arrogant, but you know him better than I do, so I'll take your word for it.

I dunno. I mean I don't look at grocery prices much either, but in the situation the OP describes I would have just said I didn't remember what the price was, not made some "Oh I never look at prices in the grocery store!" pronouncement. Maybe it's just the OP's bias in telling the story but I keep reading it as said by Thurston Howell III or something.

Then again I have no idea why OP would ask how much a coconut cost at a party, so...

I shop at an Asian mart where oddly most things are vastly cheaper compared to your regular Kroger/Wal-mart/Target... except milk, for w/e reason milk there is like 6 bucks a gallon while its 2.50 most other places.

Nista

The only time I really look at prices is when something is noticeably higher or lower priced than other goods in its category.

I will see some tasty juice in the store, and then notice one bottle is 13$ and reluctantly put it back. But other times I'll pay 39.99$ a lb for some Miyazaki beef for a special shabu shabu dinner.

If something is super cheap, i tend to look at it suspiciously, since it might be overstocked and they are trying to clear it out, or it might be expired or of bad quality.

I end up spending way too much money at costco and the supermarket, so it's good that we don't have a family to support.

ferr

I tend to not "see" prices. By that I mean, I will just grab what I'm there to buy, and I kind of know how much it should be, so my mind completely ignores any association with item/price.

My wife will sometimes ask me when I bring some items around, "How much is this one?" and I'll say something like homer-simpson-i-don't-know.gif

Usually everything not worth knowing the price of is $4 in my mind. Coconut? That's $4. Bag of cheese? $4. Bag of chips? $4. Head of lettuce? $4. These things are probably off by 50% or more.

I do look at prices when the maximum ranges exceed a certain amount. For example, even at Target, I'll never buy a bottle of wine without looking at the price.

Wiped89

Wow at the people in this thread who say they don't look at prices. You like wasting money? All of you are a shop owner's dream. They put prices up and you lap it up.

I earn a decent salary and I still keep a close eye on every single item. I can tell instantly when something has gone up by even 10p since my last shop. Or gone down in size.

The way I see it, the more money you save on these shops, the more 'good' food like fresh vegetables etc you can buy with the same money, and the more I have spare for games/trips/fun.

Why waste it?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yes, because she doesn't work, it is her money as well, but considering the circumstances and how she treats him and how their relationship has evolved (or devolved), if you knew him you'd recognize that he's being used.

It would be less problematic if his finances were to himself, but because he has to ask my parents for money despite making six figures himself, while his wife spends all of it on alcohol and clothes for herself, then it's a god damn problem.

Sorry, I just hate when that is a blanket statement about if one partner is not working all they are doing is spending the other's hard earned money. The situation you describe is definitely irritating and sounds fucking awful.

Who buys pomegranate juice

Shit's way too expensive, but my wife was into juicing for a while and would see these recipes for Pomegranate whatever juice and was like "Oh this sounds good!" but then those pomegranate juice things at the supermarket are like $15 for a small bottle.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Oh, I always remember when something is a great sale/value. Cause I got to bring it up to everyone when cooking.

Or when not cooking.

SDCowboy

Exactly. For most regular grocery store purchase, I think most folks tend to know what general price to expect.

If I want 4 potatoes, I'm not going to study and calculate the price to decide if I should only get 3 instead. I know the general price it will be, and if I need 4 potatoes, I gotta pay whatever the cost is.

jph139

Blows my mind that people don't look at prices. Like, even if I was making twice what I do now, I'd make sure I'm being thrifty.

Like, lunch meat? Ham is on sale this week so I'm eating ham. Post cereal is BOGO so I'm going with that one. Red apples are 10 cents off, so I'll go with them instead of green.

I buy groceries online (and I admit this is crazy), but my snack choices are almost entirely dictated by price per ounce.

Guess it's a upbringing thing. When my mother went grocery shopping, if we didn't have a coupon and it wasn't on sale? We weren't eating it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I just hate when that is a blanket statement about if one partner is not working all they are doing is spending the other's hard earned money. The situation you describe is definitely irritating and sounds fucking awful.

I understand, but there was certainly a reason for my statement (as I described). Yea, it's preeeeettty bad.

Don't worry OP I check the Publix app for the BOGO's every Thursday faithfully. I don't really look at the prices too much on the standard things that I always buy. Best Believe that my GF is an awesome coupon person, and usually saves us a ton of money with her digital coupons and such. Funny thing is she makes wayyy more than I do in the medical field 😂

Unfortunately, the rest of us have to deal with prices that artificially inflated to exploit the growing number of "I don't look at prices" shoppers.

I mean if you can sell a jar of pasta sauce for $10 why sell it for $2? I'm not going to buy it but this asshole still is. So $10 it is.

I don't think I've ever seen a $10 jar of pasta sauce and the rest of the market wouldn't follow.

I by no means check the price of stuff I buy but I also stick to the same stuff a lot. Chicken, a bunch of veggies, rice, pasta, same bread, same cheese. I know what I'm spending and I know the reason it goes over is because I bought 2 6 packs of beer or something.

Wow at the people in this thread who say they don't look at prices. You like wasting money? All of you are a shop owner's dream. They put prices up and you lap it up.

I earn a decent salary and I still keep a close eye on every single item. I can tell instantly when something has gone up by even 10p since my last shop. Or gone down in size.

The way I see it, the more money you save on these shops, the more 'good' food like fresh vegetables etx you can buy with the same money, and the more I have spare for games/trips/fun.

Why waste it?

I buy the same thing every week. Pretty much a set food budget with a some cushion. So if the price of lettuce goes up 10 cents, it's really not a big deal.

Top Bottom