• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I don't look at prices when I go grocery shopping"

WiseguyMVP

Even if you have a lot of money it's important to pay attention to how much your're paying for stuff.

Maybe some people get a false sense of security that the item they get is going to be priced and rung up correctly, but that's not always the case. Imagine being overcharged a nickel here, a dime there or even more over the course of years. You can end up paying thousands of dollars more for your groceries than you had to. It's not like you have to be anal about everything you buy but you certainly don't want to be clueless when you're at the checkout.

And that's disregarding people who have tight budgets. Because if you do, then you should be making sure all of your purchases are wise purchases and not frivolous things that will hurt your health as well as your wallet.

If you're willing to give your money away, people will take advantage

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Red apples are 10 cents off, so I'll go with them instead of green.

You lost me with this one...bleh at Red and Granny Smiths for eating straight up.

*throws ascot around neck and gets in automobile to drive off to his private jet*

I think most folks check what the total price is. There is a difference between that and making a note of the exact price of every item they buy.

I don't usually make a point of checking the price of things I buy at the grocery store, but if I'll notice if the total seems way off because a tube of toothpaste rang up for $20 instead of $4.

The OP and I aren't talking about pricing errors, but rather about saving money where you can - especially if there's not one brand you're buying specifically because you know it's better than the others. And I'm not going to speak for you - but I'm incredulous that most people who don't bother to glance at the price of what they buy when they pull it off the shelves are going to sit and watch each item as it's scanned by the cashier. Yeah, if you buy 3 items and your total is way above what you expect, then it's noticeable. But if you're buying $55 worth of groceries and your total is $62 due to a pricing error, I doubt you're going to notice.

I mean, I think a lot of is just the fact that there isn't that much price disparity in your average supermarket. Like, take a box of cereal - what's the cheapest one - $3.99? The most expensive is what, like $5.99? I mean to most people that's a trivial difference, you have a general idea of what cereal costs so there's no point thinking about it - just get the one you like and go pay.

It's a trivial difference when buying one thing, but when you ignore dozens of trivial differences while doing your shopping for the week it adds up. And you're ignoring that some of the most expensive ones have smaller volumes, so you're paying way more per ounce than the "cheapest" one.

Again, it's your money - do what you want. I'm just surprised that most people here don't seem to look at price. I'm not super frugal or "adult-ish," but I only have so much income. Unless I'm specifically loyal to one brand over another, I'm going to check the prices and even check the price per ounce since many containers make it hard to determine volume. But that's me.

KHarvey16

Wow at the people in this thread who say they don't look at prices. You like wasting money? All of you are a shop owner's dream. They put prices up and you lap it up.

I earn a decent salary and I still keep a close eye on every single item. I can tell instantly when something has gone up by even 10p since my last shop. Or gone down in size.

The way I see it, the more money you save on these shops, the more 'good' food like fresh vegetables etc you can buy with the same money, and the more I have spare for games/trips/fun.

Why waste it?

Says poster on video game forum.

I have a pretty good idea the range it's going to cost since we buy groceries every week and it's mostly the same stuff. Sometimes it's the allergy/sinus meds or a bottle of wine that adds an extra $10-15 to the overall cost, but we gotta eat, so we cut back somewhere else.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Not overly concerned with prices unless something jumps out at me, like a jar of Francis Ford Coppolla marinara for $14.99. But more importantly if I need to save money food is last place I would make cuts.

E92 M3

I don't like wasting time grocery shopping. Looking for coupons and prices takes up too much time. I usually spend the same amount for food every week.

Neo C.

I love looking at prices when I do grocery. I have enough income to be more lax, but buying stuff without budgeting is boring.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I don't, nor even make a list. I'll just go and grab stuff I need, trying to get the best stuff I can. Like, I wouldn't buy cheap bacon, I'll try to get a higher one with no nitrates if possible. The cheese J like or whatever. I work hard so I'll get the best stuff I can for me and my so. Doesn't hurt that the super market is like a 3 minutes drive away.

Acyl

I think it's common for people not to look at prices actually. When I was a student living on a very hard budget, I would definitely look at prices and buy the cheapest of whatever I'm interested in. I used to be so proud if I could buy enough groceries to have food for the week while spending less than $40. Damn I'm glad those days are behind me.

Nowadays I just buy whatever without looking at the price, unless there's some sale for buying in bulk I might bite, then I will compare and do the math in my head to see if it's really worth it. The difference between the cheap bread (maybe $2 a loaf?) and the good bread ($4?) is small enough it's worth it to get what I actually want and not "what I can afford." I definitely do not check the price when buying produce, I mean an onion is like 50 cents or something.

That doesn't mean I will buy a $30 bottle of olive oil or something ridiculous. If I'm shopping at a new store, or bulk store like Costco, then I will check prices.

Kite

Yes, a coconut.
... brah

I'll check prices on stuff that have choices like different brands of milk or bread or something. But coconuts.. stuff like that there is only one choice in the store, if you need a coconut then you buy it unless it's stupidly expensive.

It's like buying a pumpkin during Halloween cus the kids wanna carve and paint one up. I dunno if they're supposed to be $5 or $8 and I'm certainly not gonna drive around town price checking freaking pumpkins..

I'm pay very close attention to prices and use coupons. I feel ya OP. It's also why I like auto pay amazons no checkout idea, I know that it'll be harder to be disciplined on tracking prices. But I should be making enough money to not care by then.

I check the price of everything. My wife never checks prices and is always broke.
The same item can cost from $5 to 25$ week to week. I know what's a good price for everything and it bothers me to pay more. I don't mind paying, but I like getting my money's worth. There are a lot of people who just go to the nicest grocery store and buy whatever they want. The difference between that and looking at the prices is about $5K a year. That's just money I waste elsewhere. Nobody's perfect.

Wow at the people in this thread who say they don't look at prices. You like wasting money? All of you are a shop owner's dream. They put prices up and you lap it up.

I earn a decent salary and I still keep a close eye on every single item. I can tell instantly when something has gone up by even 10p since my last shop. Or gone down in size.

The way I see it, the more money you save on these shops, the more 'good' food like fresh vegetables etc you can buy with the same money, and the more I have spare for games/trips/fun.

Why waste it?
Because it's boring, stressful labor with very little return?

Whatever savings there are at the register aren't worth the toll paid for a lifetime of caring about what one head of lettuce costs versus another. I could spend 30 minutes getting three car insurance quotes and save more money than I will on a lifetime of smart lettuce buying. The economy here isn't worth the brainspace. There's an opportunity cost in terms of what I spend my time thinking about and pursuing, and heck no I don't want to blow it on worrying about whether that bag of chips is smaller than it used to be.

Depends on if he controls himself for bigger items like a house, car, didn't have a bunch of kids, and so on. If so, then it's nothing to lose sleep at night over.

br3wnor

Stop and Shop is my local supermarket and what I buy really is dictated by whatever is on sale. I have ideas of what I'm buying (Turkey, cheese, yogurt, apples, etc.) and tend to go w/ whatever brand is on sale but isn't complete shit quality. Coffee is actually my favorite to do this with because it kind of forces me to try out different brands because there's always a name brand on sale for $3+ cheaper than it normally is).

I know I could probably get some of my items cheaper if I hoofed it to Target or a cheaper supmarket but they're all 20+ minutes away and my Stop and Shop is 5 so convenience trumps the few dollars I'd save otherwise.

Not in a financial position to ignore prices completely when food shopping, but I wouldn't be jealous of someone who was.

I buy the same thing every week. Pretty much a set food budget with a some cushion. So if the price of lettuce goes up 10 cents, it's really not a big deal.

This. I don't wander the grocery store randomly buying things. I know exactly what i need, stick to it, and go. I'm not going to change my diet because rice was a bit more expensive this week.

commedieu

Banned
Lol. People look at prices while shopping??

I just drop a few gold coins for the maybe 28lbs of avocados and let the shopkeep split the change.

shira

Had a get together with some friends and family over the weekend and one of my friends who, let's say, has more money than the rest of us, said this when I asked him about something he bought at the grocery store.

And I get that he comes from a "different world" that he was born into, then us plebeians but saying that really upset me.

And I know it's on my end and it comes from a place of jealousy. I had just they after noon been grocery shopping and had to be mindful of what was a good value and what I could and couldn't afford that week.

And it just really bugs me. And makes me hate that I work 40 hours a week and sometimes can't afford to buy "the good cheese" or the "good bread".

Not to say he doesn't work as well and isn't an educated fellow. And he is aware that he can come off as arrogant sometimes. He's really a good dude. And as I said this all comes a place of jealousy.

I'm just.... in work and work and thats it. No vacations, gotta buy generic at the store, etc. Just frustrating. And I turn 40 tomorrow.

I have a few friends who are sommelier. You wouldn't believe the prices that idiots pay for "old grape juice"

I ask them if they ever switch up a cheaper wine for a more expensive one and they said they have. Nobody outside of food critics notice.

Weebos

Banned
I don't like wasting time grocery shopping. Looking for coupons and prices takes up too much time. I usually spend the same amount for food every week.

Pretty much this. I only ever look at prices when comparing brands for something I don't buy often.

I live alone though, I could see this being more important when you spend more on groceries than I do.

Shadybiz

Depends on what I'm getting. I usually won't look at prices for produce, canned soups, etc, because I usually get the same basic stuff each time, and I know that it's going to be around a certain price.

I do look at meats, seafood, etc. We rarely buy beef, because it's so pricey these days.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Whatever savings there are at the register aren't worth the toll paid for a lifetime of caring about what one head of lettuce costs versus another. I could spend 30 minutes getting three car insurance quotes and save more money than I will on a lifetime of smart lettuce buying. The economy here isn't worth the brainspace. There's an opportunity cost in terms of what I spend my time thinking about and pursuing, and heck no I don't want to blow it on worrying about whether that bag of chips is smaller than it used to be.

I think you're overplaying how much effort it takes to shop with sales in mind. For example, when I shop at Trader Joe's, most items differ in price by two things: brand and organic labels. As soon as I walk into the store I'm greeted by non-organic bananas, which are 19c a banana. If I walk around to the other side, there are organic bananas for 30c a banana. It takes five seconds to notice that there's a difference in price and because I don't care for an organic label, it took no effort to make the smarter decision. There was no brain toll to be had.

Even if you have a lot of money it's important to pay attention to how much your're paying for stuff.

Maybe some people get a false sense of security that the item they get is going to be priced and rung up correctly, but that's not always the case. Imagine being overcharged a nickel here, a dime there or even more over the course of years. You can end up paying thousands of dollars more for your groceries than you had to.
If I get overcharged a dollar on every single grocery trip for five years straight, I lose $260, not "thousands." You also regularly get undercharged by mistake, which people forget.

Why waste it?

Say I buy 10 items on every weekly trip. I might not know exactly what those 10 items cost anymore off the top of my head, but I know what they cost all together.

Now those 10 items are supplemented by 3-7 items I don't buy need to buy every week but buy regularly. I know what these cost off the top of my head (maybe not down to the vent, but within 25-50 cents). Pretty easy to add all together in my head.

I know what my bill will be and will know if there's an unexpected increase. I can stop and check what it is and ask for a void if need be. What's so crazy about that?

Exactly. For most regular grocery store purchase, I think most folks tend to know what general price to expect.

If I want 4 potatoes, I'm not going to study and calculate the price to decide if I should only get 3 instead. I know the general price it will be, and if I need 4 potatoes, I gotta pay whatever the cost is.

I do but that's how my Dad is and how I was brought up. I will literally ask myself do I need a 4th spud at 80c or not, or will 3 do.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's wasting money on food that's never gonna get eaten/have to be thrown out.

KHarvey16

I think you're overplaying how much effort it takes to shop with sales in mind. For example, when I shop at Trader Joe's, most items differ in price by two things: Brand and organic labels. As soon as I walk into the store I'm greeted by non-organic bananas, which are 19c a banana. If I walk around to the other side, there are organic bananas for 30c a banana. It takes five seconds to notice that there's a difference in price and because I don't care for an organic label, no toll on my brail was had.

But you understand that many people are willing to spend an extra 0.11 to just pick up those first and stop looking for bananas, right?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I don't know how much is the coffee in continental USA but for example (this is Puerto Rico) I will always try to get a specific brand that is like 10 bucks for 12 ounces. The pleasure I get from drinking that coffee is beyond any measure of money. Thankfully I am not in a position where I really need to be limited by this type of stuff. If I ever hit bad times I'll have that... A very bad time. The level of commodity I am used to is too high and even I acknowledge that.

For the most part i just have a rough idea how much the shop will be. My wife pays more attention but more because she likes a bargin than anything else. We also shop at aldi because the foods still great and overall cheaper..plus there are less options so its all over and done with quicker (about 30 mins as apposed to about an hpur at tesco).

We aim for roughly £75 or less a week for me my wife and my son. If its more or less its not an issue but we try to spend less so we can put more in our savings.

There will always be someone richer than you. Its best to try and not get angry jealous about it. More kinda jealous but knowing you would be very happy if you were in their position so good for them. Just concentrate on what you can afford and how you can live as comfortably as possible in your situation. There is also always someone poorer than you.

This. I don't wander the grocery store randomly buying things. I know exactly what i need, stick to it, and go. I'm not going to change my diet because rice was a bit more expensive this week.

This, though comparing prices has ended up saving me a few bucks per week. The brand of chicken that I buy, for example, is $3 lower than bigger brands (like Perdue, or something).

If I can get the same or similar product cheaper, I'll do it, though by and large going the private label route where it makes sense (most cases) ends up doing most of the work.

HeySeuss

I feel ya OP. I used to know every price of everything I had in my cart and know the total within a couple of bucks. But as I got more used to buying the same things I don't pay much attention anymore unless I'm buying something I don't normally buy just so I know it isn't obscenely expensive.

But that said, I could ballpark a coconut and be pretty close even though I don't buy them.

SDCowboy

Depends on what I'm getting. I usually won't look at prices for produce, canned soups, etc, because I usually get the same basic stuff each time, and I know that it's going to be around a certain price.

I do look at meats, seafood, etc. We rarely buy beef, because it's so pricey these days.

Same. If it's a regular item for me, I don't usually make a point to check the price. Unless it's something like meat where the prices can swing wildly.

If I'm buying a steak, I'm gonna check the price. My usual box of pasta, probably not.

Wiped89

I buy the same thing every week. Pretty much a set food budget with a some cushion. So if the price of lettuce goes up 10 cents, it's really not a big deal.

Yes maybe 10 cents isn't a big deal, but for example the cheese I usually buy recently went up from. £1.50 to £2. 50p, so what, right? But that's a 25% price rise, when inflation is only at 2%. That's huge. I switched to a different brand at £1.55 instead.

Vire

I usually loose more sleep over gas prices or, video games, concerts, vacation costs, things like this.

But skimping on quality food to get a cheaper deal isn't really part of my priorities. I will pay extra to eat healthier 100% of the time and I don't make a fortune.

KHarvey16

What's wrong with posting on a video game forum? Interacting with humans somehow a luxury reserved for the wasteful and plentiful?

It implies one spends money on video games, which are wasteful! Do you know how many coconuts you could ignore the price of for the cost of one console game?!

smisk

What kind of eggs do you guys buy? I generally get the cage-free ones, but they're more than double the cost of the normal ones (~$2.20/dozen vs $5) and I sometimes feel like it's just a marketing thing that I'm wasting money on.

Fuzzery

I do look at prices, but unless it's outrageous, I just end up buying it anyway. And at any big grocery store it won't be much different, although different things could be on sale I guess. But personally I don't buy enough stuff that it's worth the effort to hunt for deals and save

Basically

WiseguyMVP

You should at least know what the prices are and how much the total is going to roughly be if you go shopping. Even if you could afford it and don't really care. You do like money, right?

If you like money, why would you take a risk of being ripped off or having a price mistake happen to you? Too much hassle? Really? Takes a minimum of brainpower to look at at label, see the price, and then commit it to short-term memory before you get to the checkout.

What if the store had some cheap ass quality item marked up to an exorbitant price, and because of the price you think wow this has to be some great s***. So you plop it in your cart, take it home and when you eat it, it's nasty. Wouldn't you feel like you got ripped off? This is what happens to people in this world who don't pay attention to what's going on around them. I don't care if it's in the grocery store, at the mall or if you're dealing with a Fortune 500 company doing a merger, if you let people take advantage of you, they will.

I already forgot how much I paid for this Muffler.

stephen08

I look at the prices but only at the moment and retain it for maybe a few minutes. Typically I just get a brand I trust or if something is on special I'll try that out. I don't keep a running total or think about it week to week. I guess that does open me up to mistakes at the till or prices being raised but I have a ballpark idea.

All of this to say, I'd probably see what the coconut cost at the moment, make my peace with it, and then promptly forget.

The difference between the cheap bread (maybe $2 a loaf?) and the good bread ($4?) is small enough it's worth it to get what I actually want and not "what I can afford." I definitely do not check the price when buying produce, I mean an onion is like 50 cents or something.

That doesn't mean I will buy a $30 bottle of olive oil or something ridiculous. If I'm shopping at a new store, or bulk store like Costco, then I will check prices.

I'm not sure what "cheap bread" and "good bread" is. Artisan bread is usually cheap, often $1 a loaf. Plain white flour or whole wheat bread from a commercial bakery is usually around $2. Multigrain about $2.5 Raisin bread $3.

I've never bought an individual onion. It's less than a dollar a pound.

Top Bottom