• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand Rob Dyrdek - Why is he popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rob-dyrdek-rob-dyrdekziqfa.jpg

^This lad^

I didn't understand how he was popular in 2006 when he had his show "Rob and Big" but just attributed that popularity to it being one of those shows like Viva la Bam or Scarred something that were all the rage back then.

I didn't understand how he was popular in 2009 when made a new show called Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory which seems to just be about him doing stupid things in a warehouse and thinking he's the shit. Pretty shocked to find out that it's going on for it's 6th season.

And here's the one I can't even comprehend; he now has a show called Ridiculousness that's about him standing on a giant laptop set and showing the audience youtube videos that he think is sick. He even has a VJ for when he finds something particularly rad and wants to rewind and slow it down.

Picture of the set:

a0rwunmyz3q0ngsx_o_ri6ocfa.jpg

Now I don't have a problem with trashy tv. I grew up on it and will still sit down and watch an episode of Geordie Shore or Jeremy Kyle or whatever but I have no idea how this dude became popular. He comes off as being really smug and cocky but it's not like he's funny or anything and he still has over 2 million twitter followers. Maybe it's because he has a sweet dog that can skateboard?

Maybe I'm missing something and GAF will educate on why this dude is actually bad ass but as of now, I just can't see it.

louie

The first time I seen him was in that old DC video from a few years back. Have hated his guts every since.

I loved Rob & Big when it was on. Ridiculousness is an awful show and he doesn't really add any humor to it. A video might be funny, but then he ruins it with his comments lol.

I don't get why he is still popular, but I understood back in the days of Rob & Big.

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah, I watched him standing on the giant laptop for about 5 minutes while waiting for Beavis and Butthead to start. It's like Tosh.0 but without any effort or humor.

Zabka

His comments on his clip show aren't even jokes. It's all "That's gotta hurt!" or "I'm feeling good it's a good day the sun's o--OH NO MY FACE I FELL ON IT!"

Mahonay

Banned
Kind of a bummer he turned himself into the clown he is today. I used to watch his skate videos all the time back when I was still skating in high school.

D6AMIA6N

I like him. Rob & Big was funny, Fantasy factory was pretty good too. Smart businessman. I wish I could fuck around all day doing whatever I want and get paid to do it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I like Rob. I think he's hilarious. He's probably really cool to hang out with too.

Yeah, I watched him standing on the giant laptop for about 5 minutes while waiting for Beavis and Butthead to start. It's like Tosh.0 but without any effort or humor.

Yeah. I would crack a funny joke about how Tosh.0 isn't funny either, but if you've ever seen Ridiculousness, it makes Tosh look like comedy gold.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I really liked his bit in Alien Workshop's Mind Field, but ridiculousness is really annoying. Haven't seen his other shows. Still like him on account of his bit in Mind Field though.

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah. I would crack a funny joke about how Tosh.0 isn't funny either, but if you've ever seen Ridiculousness, it makes Tosh look like comedy gold.

Exactly. Tosh at least prepares halfway decent quips for each video. Also, his show actually goes out and finds the people in the videos and interviews them.

Videoneon

I guess he's...unobstrusive, even when he's not funny. Even when he destroyed stuff in Rob & Big or had paintball gun wars or whatever it all just seemed so low key from him, compared to people like Bam Margera or Nitro Circus stuff, or Ashton Kutcher when he used to do Punk'd. Maybe it helps him stay around? I watched some Rob & Big growing up (funny sometimes) and saw two episodes of Ridiculousness last week (never funny.) He seems more or less the same. He knows how to play with his money too, apparently.

Wasn't he in the one of the Skate games?

Skate 2 featured him and his Fantasy Factory warehouse level was DLC. I had fun skating around in that level. Also his challenges were fun too.

But yeah, I loved him on Rob & Big and Fantasy Factory.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I admire his hustle.

Bgamer90

Banned
I knew him before Rob & Big (I'm a big X Games fan and I used to follow up on skateboarders) but I didn't really know about him in depth to have an opinion of him.

I loved Rob & Big... was really the last show that I watched on MTV.

So I don't know; he kind of seems like a guy that's too old to act the way that he does. Maybe it's an act. Overall I can't say that he really annoys me.

I don't know why MTV keeps bringing him back. He has no comedic qualities and is just annoying. They could have at least gotten someone funny to host Ridiculousness.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Seems like a funny, nice, hard working guy who also likes to enjoy himself. Yes he can be annoying sometimes but so can everyone. He is far more creative and determined than the vast majority of reality stars on TV these days and I have no animosity towards him whatsoever.

The ridiculousnes show is indeed awful, mostly due to the guests though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Caught Ridiculous with some friends a few months ago and they insisted on watching it as they could tell the show pissed me off. One of the worst shows I've ever seen. They aired two episodes in a row. The panelists all seemed legitimately retarded.

I remember a few years back hearing about Rob & Big when it was popular. I googled it and read up on what the show was all about.

I don't get the appeal either, but I can see why the reality show was popular. Drydek certainly has no real comedic talent, but doesn't seem like a bad guy though. His schtick seems to be a bit of dude-bro-ish humor mixed with a little MTV-jackass stuff.

He's made a name for himself in the business. He's an entrepreneur and savvy about what he does in the skating scene. So more power to him. He's found his passion in life and is successful thus far.

feel

Rob and Big was a very enjoyable show back then. Didn't realize he had been doing other shows since.

GavinGT

Banned
Caught Ridiculous with some friends a few months ago and they insisted on watching it as they could tell the show pissed me off. One of the worst shows I've ever seen. They aired two episodes in a row. The panelists all seemed legitimately retarded.

It's called Ridiculousness. Get it right, as they clearly spent a lot of time thinking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom