• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally watched an ep of Adam Ruins Everything.

way more

Is he a stealth advertisement for the sites and magazines, Mental Floss, Vox, and Psychology Today?

He finds one counter-intuitive factoid and dribbles it out for 20 minutes with references from fun factoid websites. And people find this clever? When I did shit like this at age 13 people called me a wise ass who would be a great lawyer one day. And now actual adults do it and get their own TV shows?

How dumb is everyone in America? This shit makes me want to become a lazy con artist.

Last edited:

shira

Mattresses and used cars were the hustles of yesteryear.

Now it's cash advances and cryptocurrencies

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
He actually doesn't ruin everything and half the time he presents shit we already knew. I think he's condescending and too much to watch before I cringe straight through time and space. DeLorean has got absolutely nothing on my ass.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I've seen several episodes of this show. Interesting stuff, but it's kinda produced as if whatever this dude says is the absolute answer on everything.

I like the show. I wouldn’t use anything he says as the end all and be all of knowledge (like the video game episode repeats unsubstantiated Sarkeesian talking points), in many cases, it made me think about certain issues in a new way (like feeding stray cats). It’s kind of like Penn & Teller’s Bullshit (which I also like and frequently disagree with), but from a more liberal standpoint, and that’s okay.

I think Adam’s personality is kind of brilliant. There’s an implied smug arrogance to a show like this that I don’t think you can avoid. Penn & Teller owned it and dialed it up to 11, while Adam is insufferable to ever other character in the show. He’s the butt of every single joke to the point the audience, even when they side with him, still feel okay making fun of him. Even being told they are wrong, they still get to feel superior.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like the show and when it first came out my kids were in high school so it was usually an entertaining and somewhat educational experience to share with them. While the stuff was typically presented as fact, the show also sited sources on most of their claims, and even had a few "we got this wrong" corrections episodes that served as good teachable moments.

lil puff

He kinds reminds me of Alton Brown on The Food Network. His look and mannerisms. Even the style of the show in some ways remind me of Good Eats. I wonder if he deliberately patterns himself after Alton.

Not a horrible show, though. He seems to go out of his way to suggest viewers do their own cross research and not treat everything as fact.

Xiaoki

I've seen several episodes of this show. Interesting stuff, but it's kinda produced as if whatever this dude says is the absolute answer on everything.
Except that's completely wrong.

He did a Adam ruins Adam Ruins Everything episode to fact check and revise previous episodes and he also did the same thing when Adam Ruins Everything was a web series.

J-Roderton

Except that's completely wrong.

He did a Adam ruins Adam Ruins Everything episode to fact check and revise previous episodes and he also did the same thing when Adam Ruins Everything was a web series.

Cool. Sounds like Adam ruins Adam Ruins Everything would aimed at me. (y)

Top Bottom