• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate textbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

B'z-chan

Banned
Honestly why havent they gone digital yet? I cant get any of my books locally since the publishers are backordered. And two of my professors are insisting that the students have the books on day one. My heads gonna pop off and ebay aint helping me out. So where are some good places to get textbooks quick? I've got till monday of next week but i need to know of some good online retailers that sell college text books.

Also what do you do with your previous symester textbooks? And how much should i look to get back for books i pay so much money for? 700 bucks just on books for a symester, which is more than the freaking tuition. Ah i need to get some money on books fast. Just cant find any local places. Any online places?

Another damn thing why is it that they make so many editions of books but dont put much in the way of extra content into a book? I was using a 23rd edition book which was the one suggested for Fall, and now my professor same one from fall is requesting i get a 26th edition. That many freaking editions in that short of time? WTF are they insane.

Ah [/rant]

beerbelly

Banned
"That many freaking editions in that short of time?"

I agree. I tried to sell my elective text book (History) shortly after the semester ended and they refused it because there were newer editions already. I spent 100+ on that useless text and read one chapter :mad:

I usually keep the important textbooks (like networking, telecommunications) and sell the ones I do not think I'll need in the future. I post my deals online, at our University's used book store or sell them at my University's official book store. I usually get around 30-40% of the original cost back from the official book store, 40+% from the used book store and about 50-60% from online.

nitewulf

amazon.com for new, half.com for old.
sell your old books at half.com, or to students in your school. dont trade them in at the college bookstore, you'll only get about 1/3 the money.
even selling at half isnt profitable because if a new edition is out, your book wont sell (unless its liberal arts or something).

I don't buy text books anymore. I'm done with my generals at the end of spring semester, and I've literally only had one class I needed the text book for. I haven't been buying them for the last year and a half.

darscot

I had a scholarship that paid for all my books but I ended up giving most of them away. Some guys found a print shop that would copy a book super cheap but would destroy the original in the process. So I always gave up my new copy. You really can get by without the books. It's a cash grab. Keep you ear to the ground you'll find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom