• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate the idea of driving a car

I understand you OP, I too didn't like driving but I had to put on my pants on and learn.... Everything is far away from me. I can see if paying no car insurance, gas or auto loan is a big relief on your bank account.

Astral Dog

Dude, try a driving school! don't give up if i could learn there is no excuse for you!.

You will eventually love the freedom a car gives you 🚘 yeah i been in my fair share of incidents (none letal thank God) over the years, but believe me its worth it thats how we learn.

levyjl1988

Banned
Driving is a chore and an expensive one at that.

First, you have a car, which is associated with all sorts of fucking fees.
The cost of getting licensed, driver training, getting your license renewed.
Then you have to get the car, then there is a downpayment, leasing or lein with financial monthly payments.
Then there is the maintenance. Getting your sticker renewed.
Then there is the fucking insurance.
And adding drivers in the household if you live in a family which adds more to the insurance.

It's all a tidal wave of costs, how much of all that is subtracted from your pay?
It gets fucking expensive, and god forbid you get into an at-fault accident, your premiums will increase next year upon renewals.

So are you alright with not having a car and avoiding dangers? Sure it makes logical sense.
I commute to work using public transit, but ever since covid-19, thank god for covid, I am able to work form home.
I saw no point wasting hours on public transit for something I could do at home. It took quite a bit of sacrifices to make my lifestyle a bit more convenient, but at least I don't have to fucking go outside.

/rant.
The world isn't making having a car affordable, it's a fucking luxury.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I never spent so much money on something I despise doing so much. It's the other drivers that make the driving experience so frustrating.

Nester99

Living your life in fear is no way to live. Seek some professional help with your anxiety so you can feel the freedom of independent movement that so many of us cherish.

Best of luck, it won’t be easy.

Dural

I can't imagine not liking driving, it's one of my favorite things to do. If I haven't taken a drive of more than an hour for a couple weeks I get stir crazy, most of my kids are the same way. I feel like once you start and get used to it you'll grow to love it.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Driving is awesome. It's a freedom you'll never want to give up once you have it. It can even be cathartic at times, driving down the road with your favorite song blasting.
The battery on my 2003 BMW died the other day, and even though I've been working from home and barely using it, I'm pretty sunken inside right now because of it. I can't go anywhere until I replace the thing and I don't want to look up the price. Driving is awesome.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I do this now .
With Covid and stuff just getting out the house to clear your head for a hour or 2 is great
Couple of times a week I’ll just grab a ice coffee and listen to tunes or not, it;s better than sitting your ass in front of a TV and a bit therapeutic....for me anyway .
I just want to feel like Ryan Gosling as well.

Bwj3R2Y.gif

Halcyon

Driving is mindless. I'm sure others can relate, sometimes you get off work and don't even remember the drive home.

I was just about to comment that there are times when I'm on my commute and I just sort of appear way further than my brain is tracking.

Driving is generally easy. Once you get the hang of acceleration and a smooth stop it's basically just staying in your lane and paying attention. Driving is usually small slow decisions and the biggest hassle you'll run into is occasionally pulling left into a 4 way or crossing a few lanes of traffic.

I guess I've driven in snowy winters so much where I can't see and the road is a sheet of ice that normal driving conditions just feels like mind numbingly mundane and can't imagine someone finding it challenging. But I remember being 17 and thinking it was a bit scary at first.

T8SC

Gold Member
Driving is great, it offers freedom to go whereever you want, whenever you want. Yes, there's alternative methods of transport, cycling for example but not many people will cycle 100+ miles daily.

Don't get me started on public transport, if anything is a "chore", it's public transport.

55290886.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless someone is ubering every time, how does someone without a car do groceries or carry sports gear etc?

Even for basic things. Let's say you want to buy ice cream at the store or a Mother's Day cake for mom's dinner and it's hot outside? You're going to get on a sweltering bus or walk home?

Last edited:
If you think multitasking is hard, imagine not having a rear view mirror and can't see behind you, while you're windshield and your vision is vibrating equally as bad. Also can't see out the side mirrors, unless you turn the music down.

Paulxo87

my friend - I'm not going to talk shit about you but i'm going to give you some solid advice.

Where exactly do you live? And do you have the money to purchase a car/insurance, etc?

You need to just do it. You know - I live in central jersey driving here is not particularly fun because it's so fucking packed and everyone drives like assholes but I grit and drive because there is no real life to be had without a car here. Plus the freedom you have to go and do anything you want! I've been driving since my permit at age 16(33 now) Obviously that's the case for you too since you admit it's a big issue in your life.

You're lacking confidence in your life and I guarantee you if you just force yourself to start driving everything else will improve and you'll be a better person.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
You've got the right idea OP

Driving is scam, car culture is a cult, uber exists

Find a woman who likes to drive and buy her a car like I did kill two birds with one stone. You get a ride and she gets one as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom