• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a favor to ask, Korean GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
So, a little bit of backstory. I'm playing TERA Online right now. Currently, it's only out in Korea. I don't know a lick of Korean, and I thought, "Hey, this can't be such a bad idea, right?" So far, I've been right, for the most part. The game is fantastic and full of nice people, and that's where my problem begins. I met a nice Korean guy who knows enough basic English to hold simple conversations, and he's been helping me out with things. When I asked him for tips on how to play my class, though, we ran into a problem. It seems the concepts are pretty complicated and he doesn't know the English words to describe them. So I asked him to type the tips in Hangul.

I felt bad because he knew how to speak English and I know nothing about Korean, so I figured that I would start learning. I've started picking up Hangul, and am learning the Microsoft IME inputs for them currently. I started translating his tips, but the problem is, I don't know the actual meaning of many of the words, and it seems like Google doesn't either. Here's a screenshot of what he told me:

CWjmR.png

The game doesn't allow copy/pasting, so you have to manually input the characters while working off of a screenshot. In ten minutes or so I came up with:

무기나 장비에 있는 읍션에 따라 아이템이 달라지는거야 ㅠ 노란색아이템이라는건 전설등급의 아이템을 말아는거야 지금까지말안거 이애애??

However, Google spits out:

Weapons and equipment items vary depending on the eupsyeone item's yellow because ㅠ neungeon neungeoya legendary grade items do not end until now yiaeae retreat?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about item rarity but to be honest I have no idea what the point he's trying to make is. I stopped going through the rest because I imagine it will be a similar situation. I was wondering if you might be able to help me, K-GAF. It would be greatly appreciated!

Ashhong

Wow...I gave it a look but I dont know it well enough to be able to understand what you guys are talking about, especially since its not a normal conversation.

Here's a free bump though

Dresden

무기나 장비에 있는 읍션에 따라 아이템이 달라지는거야 ㅠ

Your items will change depending on the weapon/equipment options you have.

노란색아이템이라는건 전설등급의 아이템을 말아는거야 지금까지말안거 이애애??

If it's yellow, it's of a legendary-grade (?). Do you understand what I've been saying thus far?

---

Sorry, I haven't spoken Korean in a while and I think the top line deals with game-stuff I have no idea about. If you need more I'll translate the rest though.

Izayoi

Banned
Ashhong said:
Wow...I gave it a look but I dont know it well enough to be able to understand what you guys are talking about, especially since its not a normal conversation.

Here's a free bump though
Thanks for taking a look at it!

Dresden said:
Sorry, I haven't spoken Korean in a while and I think the top line deals with game-stuff I have no idea about. If you need more I'll translate the rest though.
That's very helpful, actually. If you wouldn't mind translating the rest I would be in your debt. I really, really appreciate it.

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but I've been considering learning Korean since I'm already in that neck of the woods and they're starting to gain more of a presence in the gaming industry. Have any of you found the language to be useful? To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the culture, but since I already have Japanese seems like it or Chinese would be the next logical step.

Dresden

Well, here you go then. Capitalized the stuff he spelled out in English. I don't know anything about Tera, but it sounds like the dude is telling you how to tank.

1> You don't need anything other than CONTROL and equipmentITEM(?) as a gwangjeonsa (note: it just means warrior), with just these two you can play the game well. With CONTROL you can just spin around hitting stuff while using your skills. Depending on the situation look at the pattern and use your skills accordingly. When in danger, use your shield.

2>ITEMs are divided up into three categories, green, blue, and yellow. Green is uncommon, blue is rare, yellow is legendary.

3>If you have a yellow item you'll have a strong unit.

4>But yellow items have innate properties that are important, OPSION, but they're all in Hangul so you'll have a hard time using/reading them. If you can read and understand them you'll be able to get the strong ITEMs.

5>These are the tips for the gwangjeonsa ^_^. Keep up the work understanding this and if you need any more help just ask me, it'll be hard for us both to understand each other but I'll always help. ^_^ Good luck!

Izayoi

Banned
KuroNeeko said:
Just curious, but I've been considering learning Korean since I'm already in that neck of the woods and they're starting to gain more of a presence in the gaming industry. Have any of you found the language to be useful? To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the culture, but since I already have Japanese seems like it or Chinese would be the next logical step.
Right now Korean games are still a pretty small market, but the Korean government actually helped fund TERA to give Korean game developers a larger presence in the gaming industry. I'm just learning it because I think it'd be neat to know, that's all.

Dresden said:
awesomeness
Thank you so much! I really, really appreciate your help.

Dresden said:
Yeah, life-lessons in a MMO. What a bro.
Haha. He's a really nice guy. I find that lots of Koreans are very talkative and willing to help. Granted, I'm sure that the game being 18+ only has something to do with it, but they seem like a great bunch of people. I'm really impressed that they bother to help foreigners at all, let alone to the extent that they do. You would never see something like that in a Western MMO.

Dresden

Yeah, I giggled a little when I put that there, but remember that this is a MMO and I had no idea if there was another class with a similar name in there (it's essentially just called "strong warrior"), not being familiar with the game. So I just left it in with its original pronunciation.

Izayoi

Banned
Dresden said:
Yeah, I giggled a little when I put that there, but remember that this is a MMO and I had no idea if there was another class with a similar name in there (it's essentially just called "strong warrior"), not being familiar with the game. So I just left it in with its original pronunciation.
You were right in just leaving gwangjeonsa, they're called Berserkers in the North American version. There's another class in the game actually called Warrior, so yeah. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom