• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just cried for the first time with a game.

Mass-Effect-3-Demo-Boy-655x368-630x353.jpg

Lol no

Haha, thank god, was concerned for a second. Moment is such a cynically obvious "tear jerker" that it's destined to fail.

Mass Effect 3,
Mordins Death

That scene didn't get me, but I did like it a lot (I'm specifically referring to the renegade option here). It was extremely reminiscent of the scene in Watchmen where
Doctor Manhattan kills Rorschach to keep Adrian's secret
, which did get me. The great moments in ME2 and ME3 get lost in the shuffle amongst the ceaseless hate-o-thon, which is unfortunate.

Bradach

The ending of Bioshock 1 was moving, I thought. I didnt actually cry but I definately felt something. I showed my wife (who has zero interest in games) and she cried.

Suairyu

Banned
Never actually fully cried, but came close a handful of times.

Came close back when I was a teen but wouldn't now:
Aeris
The Boss

Came close back when I was a teen and still would:
FFX's ending (but this has a personal story that got memory-wrapped with it so it'll always evoke some IRL emotions)

Came close as an adult:
Flower
Journey

Aaaaand... that's it. I've had my emotional thresholds worked out by quality books, theatre and films for so many years that as an adult it takes something beautifully artistic and abstract like Flower or Journey to hit an emotional note with me.

I think the problem is we played a lot of the classic "these games make me cry!" titles back when we were teens, where raging hormones and still-developing minds made us easily manipulated on the emotional level. As an adult, I can still appreciate and enjoy videogames that employ traditionally told stories like in RPGs and action games, but until the storytelling catches up with the other, established mediums then I'm not going to be welling up.

That said, attending the Distant Worlds concert and hearing the classic Final Fantasy songs played live by a world-class orchestra was a powerful moment. But that was a combination of nostalgia and masterful, artful performance that stirred that, rather than any game itself.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I can understand crying about a game's story, or a beloved character dying, but weeping because a game looks really good? Can't say that I have experienced that at all.

I'm sure that the moment itself of larger than life creatures, beautiful setting and a very moving soundtrack all working at the same time to create a moment where the game truly connects on an emotional level.

KAOz

Short bus special
In Shadows of the Damned.

During "The Legend of Stinky Crow".

But that was from laughter.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yep, stopped playing
for a day
after doing the first one to find that there was a second one, fuck.
Yeah, some of the mini-games in FFX were just so terrible but the feeling once you completed them was really satisfying.

On topic, I think the ending of FFX was really powerful.

Ostinatto

sotc spoiler

when agrro died
almost got me

and then

the last 20 minutes also almost got me again

best ending ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When I came home from school to discover my sister (or someone, I don't know) accidentally deleted my Donkey Kong Country save file.

AppleMIX

The closest the game has ever got was Mass Effect 3.

Mordin and Thanes death. I didn't cry but I had more of a sunken heart feeling which is the biggest emotional reaction a game has gotten out of me.

soultron

Banned
sotc spoiler

when agrro died
almost got me

and then

the last 20 minutes also almost got me again

best ending ever.

Yeah, that too. I played that part so many times thinking that the outcome would magically be different. Who was I kidding thought; it was a Team Ico game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've cried at plenty of parts in games, though admittedly, I cry at a lot of shit these days. I'm getting all sentimental in my old age.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh, I forgot about ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus! Yet I don't think they were "close to tears" moments but more a bittersweet melancholy that stayed with you for a long time after. Saying goodbye to all my friends towards the end of Shenmue was another moment like that.

I can understand crying about a game's story, or a beloved character dying, but weeping because a game looks really good? Can't say that I have experienced that at all.
People have been known to weep openly in awe of nature IRL. While it hasn't happened to me with our current technological level, I could see someone finding a landscape moment in a videogame overwhelming emotionally.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm sure that the moment itself of larger than life creatures, beautiful setting and a very moving soundtrack all working at the same time to create a moment where the game truly connects on an emotional level.

Yeah, those moments are great.
Personally, a game like skyrim could never do this to me, there are too many rough edges and overall jank for me to really get invested in a world like that, and the setting I find pretty bland.

I do remember getting misty eyed for the first time playing Bastion, for example. Fantastic music, incredible visuals, and a fantastic narrative.

The end of Red Dead Redemption brought man tears. If you played it, you know what I'm talking about.

In ME3, I cried a little for
Mordin's death
and when I thought
Grunt
was going to die.

I also remember crying at the end of Baten Kaitos: Origins. But I might have been more absorbed in
Sagi and Milly's relationship
than some people.

I don't think I cried at the end of Wind Waker, but the feeling of sadness was ripe. Goddamn love that game, Triforce quest be damned.

Also, I didn't even play all of Mother 3, but tears started to pour when my fiancee's sister showed me the final battle. That's how powerful that scene is.

Mass Effect 3. Came close when
Mordin died
and
Grunt supposedly died (and I cheered like mad when it was revealed he didn't actually die).
Thane, Tail, and Legion's deaths
hit me the hardest though, I shed tears there.

Didn't really care for
Miranda's death
lol.

Shiggy

I cried when playing Skyward Sword.

Tears of joy when the game was finally over and the boredom ended

Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick are the only two games to trigger some emotional reaction from me. No crying though.

I almost cried at Kamina's death in TTGL and La vita è bella though :-/

Risgroo

Shadow of the Colossus, goddamn
ending and when Agro fell off the bridge
. I think those are the saddest moments I've encountered in gaming. I very rarely cry when gaming or watching movies, Toy Story 3 is actually one of the few movies that really got me, dat perfect ending.

I've never cried from a game, I can't even remember if I have ever cried during a movie. But the strongest emotional reaction I've gotten from a game would be Journey. The part towards the end
when you are climbing up the snowy mountain and the wind is blowing fiercely and the lighting and thunder starts up at the peak.
I was close to something there.

Kerrinck

I always get a bit teary eyed when finishing games with characters that I get attached to.
Last two that got me were Radiant Historia and Ghost Trick.

Top Bottom