• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished RE4 Remake, decided to buy RE2 Remake... It's fantastic, except..

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No one told me its a fucking puzzle game.

Christ, how many annoying and unnecessary puzzles can you squeeze into a 6-7 hour game?

Need to open that door? Go find 6 random chess pieces.
Need to escape the police station? Find the gear, the gear is unlocked after 10 puzzles.
Cant open the door. It needs power. The switches are a puzzle.
Need to open that storage locker? Go find and Insert the hidden code.
This door is locked. It needs a key. Find another way around.
And on and on... and on.. and on..

People are so up in arms about slow walking and talking sections, but we are ok with this? Give me the slow walking sections over a puzzle being the solution to EVERY problem in your game. At least the conversations are typically short and serve a purpose.

Find ways other than puzzles to switch up the flow of your game. Completely kills my desire to want to ever replay this, or even do the other campaign offered in the game, despite the unreal atmosphere and zombie killing.

A few puzzles is cool, but it shouldn't be quite literally 70-80% of your survival horror game.

Find other ways to pad your game length. Countless puzzles are obnoxious and make zero sense in this setting.

But these are literally one of the key staples of the series.

Plus from a design perspective it allows the game to direct you around the map and create a "story" where one doesn't exist because there are so few characters to talk to. Instead of some NPC telling you to go to X random room for some stupid reason, you have a puzzle piece take you there instead.

Represent.

Yes RE4 Remake was my first entry into RE. I knew that was more action heavy.

I played the RE2 demo back in 1998 but obviously forgot all about it. So the amount of puzzles was SHOCKING.

I find it way more annoying than any talking/walking section in any game ever.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes RE4 Remake was my first entry into RE. I knew that was more action heavy.

I played the RE2 demo back in 1998 but obviously forgot all about it. So the amount of puzzles was SHOCKING.

I find it way more annoying than any talking/walking section in any game ever.
Those arent exactly puzzles. The design is metroidvania and its precisely why the RE series is so loved. They merge the survival horror elements into metroidvania, and then with RE4, they merged it with the action genre before going full retard with RE5.

Trust me, you dont want to play a linear mindless shooter like that. TLOU2 suffered from this non-stop action thrill ride level design. It doesnt let levels breathe and what you get is a call of duty style romp that makes you feel cheap.

Metroidvania design makes exploration far more rewarding than just mindlessly scouring through every closed drawer trying to find scraps. You might have hated those puzzles, but they helped create the Police Station as another character in the game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
this guy, playing an older Resident Evil and then be all
Surprised Meme GIF

When it turns out to be like an older Resident Evil

But then again, your tag says it all.

MiguelItUp

I'm honestly surprised you missed the part about puzzles. I mean, especially at the time, it's one of the things RE was known for, and what people loved about them.

Also, to each their own, but nah, they make perfect sense. Just like they did in RE1. :pie_ssmiling:

Last edited:

Represent.

Those arent exactly puzzles. The design is metroidvania and its precisely why the RE series is so loved. They merge the survival horror elements into metroidvania, and then with RE4, they merged it with the action genre before going full retard with RE5.

Trust me, you dont want to play a linear mindless shooter like that. TLOU2 suffered from this non-stop action thrill ride level design. It doesnt let levels breathe and what you get is a call of duty style romp that makes you feel cheap.

Metroidvania design makes exploration far more rewarding than just mindlessly scouring through every closed drawer trying to find scraps. You might have hated those puzzles, but they helped create the Police Station as another character in the game.
What keeps me going in this game is the unreal atmosphere and the hilarity of the Tyrant. Man what a creepy fucking thing.

I was wandering around for 2 hours last night trying to figure out how to get the chess piece until I said screw this and went and found a youtube video. To which then I said how the fuck was I supposed to figure that out?

I dont think TLOU 2 had non stop action at all, that was more RE4. TLOU 2 had many slow moments, moments of peace, quiet, tranquility, etc. But what kept me going in that was ... the story was gripping unlike anything ever before it in a game. And the combat was sublime.

In this, the atmosphere is amazing but damn, just too many puzzles for me. If the other girls section is a repeat of the same puzzles I won't complete it.

Nvzman

People are so up in arms about slow walking and talking sections, but we are ok with this? Give me the slow walking sections over a puzzle being the solution to EVERY problem in your game. At least the conversations are typically short and serve a purpose.
"Using your brain to solve simple puzzles and be actively engaged with the game < doing fucking nothing for 5 minutes while you walk at a snails pace and get dumped exposition"

Holy shitballs this is everything wrong with the modern gaming industry. This isn't a movie, it's a fucking game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What keeps me going in this game is the unreal atmosphere and the hilarity of the Tyrant. Man what a creepy fucking thing.

I was wandering around for 2 hours last night trying to figure out how to get the chess piece until I said screw this and went and found a youtube video. To which then I said how the fuck was I supposed to figure that out?

I dont think TLOU 2 had non stop action at all, that was more RE4. TLOU 2 had many slow moments, moments of peace, quiet, tranquility, etc. But what kept me going in that was ... the story was gripping unlike anything ever before it in a game. And the combat was sublime.

In this, the atmosphere is amazing but damn, just too many puzzles for me. If the other girls section is a repeat of the same puzzles I won't complete it.
Claire's campaign is the same exact campaign with one hour long mission thats exclusive to her campaign. Maybe 2.

I think RE characters are paper thin and simply wouldnt hold up to a TLOU style campaign where you go from one section to the next with walking and talking sections to give you some downtime.

RE i think is better in that it replaces the walking and talking sections with exploration (not necessarily puzzles). It's an acquired taste. I used to prefer the Uncharted, TLOU, MGS style of level design, but now those campaigns feel too samey for me.

You already earned that tag before this. What other brilliant observations have you had Represent. Represent. ?

They should have added a sidekick to follow Leon and Claire around to constantly be saying things like, "maybe you should put that crank with the hexagon-shaped end into that hexagon hole?"

At least now I know the types of people doing play-testing for these big AAA games lately.

Last edited:

Represent.

"Using your brain to solve simple puzzles and be actively engaged with the game < doing fucking nothing for 5 minutes while you walk at a snails pace and get dumped exposition"

Holy shitballs this is everything wrong with the modern gaming industry. This isn't a movie, it's a fucking game.
A game can be many things. Stop thinking like that.

The player has minimal control of their character in this segment. Yet its by far the most memorable part of this masterpiece.

If done right, anything can be great. Even slow walk/talk segments.

The puzzles in this are well designed. There just too many of them. I would have liked to see them switch up the flow. Solve a problem without a puzzle.

Last edited:

Represent.

Youtube guides are there for a reason
I shouldn't need a guide to complete your game.

I’m not exactly surprised by this thread, OP is same person who made entire thread about wanting game only be 3 hours long for sake of high quality graphics.
Oh, you mean the idea that half the people that voted agreed with? Are all 85 of them stupid too? Get off that pedestal lol.

Screenshot-2023-04-06-at-5-05-47-PM.png

Also. It wasn't about just about graphics. That was secondary. Read my posts.

I actually enjoy puzzles in RE games, its much, MUCH better than brain dead so called "puzzles" in TLOU like moving ladder or boxes.

And unlike God of war other characters wont try to spoil puzzles right away.

Spoiling the puzzles in Ragnarok ruined the game for me.

Worst example of it in any game. Developers treating us like we're retarded and no option to turn off the "hints".

They're not hints they literally tell you the solution before you have 30 seconds to solve a puzzle.

It's the dumbest shit ever. "Accessibility" taken to the extreme.

TexMex

There’s obviously more puzzles than RE4 but hardly enough to call it a “puzzle game.” And the puzzles that are present, are dirt fucking simple so I don’t know what to tell you.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Spoiling the puzzles in Ragnarok ruined the game for me.

Worst example of it in any game. Developers treating us like we're retarded and no option to turn off the "hints".

They're not hints they literally tell you the solution before you have 30 seconds to solve a puzzle.

It's the dumbest shit ever. "Accessibility" taken to the extreme.
I mean what is fucking point of even putting puzzles in the first place if they just gonna tell you the solution? It just becomes big time waster.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
No one told me its a fucking puzzle game.

Christ, how many annoying and unnecessary puzzles can you squeeze into a 6-7 hour game?

Need to open that door? Go find 6 random chess pieces.
Need to escape the police station? Find the gear, the gear is unlocked after 10 puzzles.
Cant open the door. It needs power. The switches are a puzzle.
Need to open that storage locker? Go find and Insert the hidden code.
This door is locked. It needs a key. Find another way around.
And on and on... and on.. and on..

Find ways other than puzzles to switch up the flow of your game. Completely kills my desire to want to ever replay this, or even do the other campaign offered in the game, despite the unreal atmosphere and zombie killing.

A few puzzles is cool, but it shouldn't be quite literally 70-80% of your survival horror game.

Find other ways to pad your game length. Countless puzzles are obnoxious and make zero sense in this setting.

I thought there was something wrong with me for… a decade or so… because I play every RE game, then end up feeling ashamed because I find myself listing it on eBay.
Like you, I have no desire to do all that again.
Some puzzles? Excellent. Like most games: Dead Space, TLOU, Hellblade, God of War…etc But they don’t break the immersion.

I love figuring out how to get through an environment filled with enemies. That’s my jam!! It doesn’t matter if it’s Sniper Elite 5 or alien Isolation or Dead Space or Callisto protocol etc

So you and I must be in the minority.
And me more so because I freakin love The Callisto Protocol! Bashing the shit out of creatures and throwing em into gears and fans until their guts spray everywhere? Yeah! Love it

Last edited:
Represent. Represent. I recommend the following RE games for what you're wanting:

Resident Evil 3 Remake(Way less puzzles but will still have a bit of backtracking)
Resident Evil 8
Resident Evil Revelations(Barely any puzzles and is a fun playthrough)
Resident Evil Revelations 2(like Revelations 1)
Resident Evil 5 Co-op(Do not play this game single player if you want a fun experience)
...or wait for the eventual RE 5 remake.

I don't recommend 6, but that's because personally I just didn't like how it played. The controls and features of that game are in a constant fight against the combat design and encounters. The entire experience will feel off and you'll come out of it feeling like you simultaneously played an absolutely terrible game and a good game, at the same time.

Edit: The problem with playing a top 100 all time game like Resident Evil 4(and the remake), is that you won't get another one of those for years. I remember people having this issue with Elden Ring. So everything I've listed won't quite scratch that RE4 itch, but if you're wanting to scratch an itch in the same range, then try these games out.

Last edited:

Hugare

It's by design, but I agree that I preffer the more straightforward approach from RE 4

It's a way to pad the length of the game, so they can use the hell out of the police station, but yeah, it feels to much

RE 4 has puzzles but it's way more lean and varied. Perfect pacing.

Eiknarf

Banned

That’s an interesting take I didn’t think about. Very good point

Top Bottom