• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished RE4 Remake, decided to buy RE2 Remake... It's fantastic, except..

solidus12

No one told me its a fucking puzzle game.

Christ, how many annoying and unnecessary puzzles can you squeeze into a 6-7 hour game?

Need to open that door? Go find 6 random chess pieces.
Need to escape the police station? Find the gear, the gear is unlocked after 10 puzzles.
Cant open the door. It needs power. The switches are a puzzle.
Need to open that storage locker? Go find and Insert the hidden code.
This door is locked. It needs a key. Find another way around.
And on and on... and on.. and on..

People are so up in arms about slow walking and talking sections, but we are ok with this? Give me the slow walking sections over a puzzle being the solution to EVERY problem in your game. At least the conversations are typically short and serve a purpose.

Find ways other than puzzles to switch up the flow of your game. Completely kills my desire to want to ever replay this, or even do the other campaign offered in the game, despite the unreal atmosphere and zombie killing.

A few puzzles is cool, but it shouldn't be quite literally 70-80% of your survival horror game.

Find other ways to pad your game length. Countless puzzles are obnoxious and make zero sense in this setting.
It’s part of the charm, really

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd understand if this was some lesser-known series but this made me chuckle. Did you seriously approach a remake of a classic Resident Evil game without expecting it to have any puzzles? It's practically one of the biggest staples of the franchise.

Last edited:
Tell me one reason a "survival horror" game needs 560 puzzles. Every goddamn door is a puzzle :messenger_tears_of_joy:
i never claimed the game 'needs' puzzles. i'm just pointing out that they were always an integral element of the early games of the series. this's back in the day, when games like re & tomb raider were as much about brain teasers & exploration as they were combat...

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Will definitely try out RE3 remake next. If that game nails atmosphere like this, and has way less puzzles, it will be a thing of beauty

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
But...RE4 remake might have more puzzles lol. RE2 has more "grab shit A and B to get to C", but RE4 remake's puzzles (the hexagonal shit, that damn orb ball door, the church's stained glass, those damn electrical doors on the island) took me way more time than anything in RE2 remake.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Tell me one reason a "survival horror" game needs 560 puzzles. Every goddamn door is a puzzle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You've got to be kidding me. Resident Evil is the franchise that popularized the Survival Horror genre and literally all of the entries that established the series revolve around these puzzles you're complaining about.

The puzzles are literally the game.

Represent.

You've got to be kidding me. Resident Evil is the franchise that popularized the Survival Horror genre and literally all of the entries that established the series revolve around these puzzles you're complaining about.

The puzzles are literally the game.
Well then its no wonder RE4 is considered the best in the franchise.
So, I got tired of hearing so much about Tetris, I finally gave it a shot.

WTF IS THIS?

It's just a bunch of falling blocks. There is literally no story! There isn't even any characters! This aged terribly. How does anyone like this?
Yeah, they are the same genre. Who would have thought.

No one told me its a fucking puzzle game.

Christ, how many annoying and unnecessary puzzles can you squeeze into a 6-7 hour game?

Need to open that door? Go find 6 random chess pieces.
Need to escape the police station? Find the gear, the gear is unlocked after 10 puzzles.
Cant open the door. It needs power. The switches are a puzzle.
Need to open that storage locker? Go find and Insert the hidden code.
This door is locked. It needs a key. Find another way around.
And on and on... and on.. and on..

People are so up in arms about slow walking and talking sections, but we are ok with this? Give me the slow walking sections over a puzzle being the solution to EVERY problem in your game. At least the conversations are typically short and serve a purpose.

Find ways other than puzzles to switch up the flow of your game. Completely kills my desire to want to ever replay this, or even do the other campaign offered in the game, despite the unreal atmosphere and zombie killing.

A few puzzles is cool, but it shouldn't be quite literally 70-80% of your survival horror game.

Find other ways to pad your game length. Countless puzzles are obnoxious and make zero sense in this setting.
Resident Evil 2 Remake becomes hard and frustrating to play when you have a brain the size of a peanut,I think try playing other games like Call of Duty, they should a blast for folks like you.

Well then its no wonder RE4 is considered the best in the franchise.
SuXCZgU.jpg

You comment on Resident Evil 2 Remake is annoying, and I'm glad most people who played it disagree with you dumb comments about such a masterpiece of game design and graphics

Represent.

Using your brain > holding 'up'
Sure. Go ahead and ignore the fact that slow walking sections are typically used to advance the story and often are critical parts of any story. You're not just holding up for no reason.
You comment on Resident Evil 2 Remake is annoying, and I'm glad most people who played it disagree with you dumb comments about such a masterpiece of game design and graphics
It would be nice if people weren't so easily triggered lol. Because I think the game has too many puzzles doesn't make it a dumb comment. I'm enjoying the game for its atmosphere and zombie combat. Too many puzzles for me.

You calling it a "masterpiece in graphics" is an objectively dumber comment.

Its a good looking game for the year it released. Not a "masterpiece in graphics" ... lmao

Last edited:
But...RE4 remake might have more puzzles lol. RE2 has more "grab shit A and B to get to C", but RE4 remake's puzzles (the hexagonal shit, that damn orb ball door, the church's stained glass, those damn electrical doors on the island) took me way more time than anything in RE2 remake.
My guess is, the reason RE 4 puzzles are better to OP is because they're one and done. For example the orb, you read the note, unlock the cabinet to get the orb in the same Manor floor 1, and then open the door by solving the orb puzzle on floor 2. That's it. Same with the electronic puzzles. You never go back to them to re-do the puzzle to unlock a second door.

Comparatively, if this puzzle were built like RE 2, you would have to go read the note, which would lead you back to an earlier area in the village to find out where the note was pointing to. You'd find the second note which leads to the cabinet. You'd also find the cabinet in a different earlier area, unlock it, and then it would give you a key. That key would need to be taken to another area on the map that you'd need to backtrack to in order to get the orb. On the way from the key to the orb you'd find another adjacent puzzle that would need to be solved for future progression, so you do a little bit of that one too because you can't fully complete it. Finally, after all of this you backtrack to take the orb back to the door at the manor and solve the puzzle. All of this is occuring while you scavenge for ammo and healing items, manage inventory, and sometimes evade Mr. X.

It doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is for those who want a more streamlined experience.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is such a fucking stupid take, i can't even laugh at it

It should be easy to see why people aren't angry about a design decision that forces you to use your brain and engage with the game (which has its own fucking genre) as opposed to a design decision which pads out the game and makes it genuinely boring

Puzzle games are more popular than walking simulators for a reason man

Last edited:
Sure. Go ahead and ignore the fact that slow walking sections are typically used to advance the story and often are critical parts of any story. You're not just holding up for no reason.

It would be nice if people weren't so easily triggered lol. Because I think the game has too many puzzles doesn't make it a dumb comment. I'm enjoying the game for its atmosphere and zombie combat. Too many puzzles for me.

You calling it a "masterpiece in graphics" is an objectively dumber comment.

Its a good looking game for the year it released. Not a "masterpiece in graphics" ...
Clearly you cannot read I said it's a masterpiece In GAME DESIGN and GRAPHICS, why are you misquoting me?

I told the OP basically the same thing,he is out here asking a thread ranting and throwing a fit over a fame design choice that has always been part of the resident evil dna early on and actually makes the games more interesting becuase the puzzles add gameplay diversity and they puzzles require you to have a brain bigger than a peanut to be able to solve without getting frustrated
this is such a fucking stupid take, i can't even laugh at it

It should be easy to see why people aren't angry about a design decision that forces you to use your brain and engage with the game (which has its own fucking genre) as opposed to a design decision which pads out the game and makes it genuinely boring

Puzzle games are more popular than walking simulators for a reason man

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Comparatively, if this puzzle were built like RE 2, you would have to go read the note, which would lead you back to an earlier area in the village to find out where the note was pointing to. You'd find the second note which leads to the cabinet. You'd also find the cabinet in a different earlier area, unlock it, and then it would give you a key. That key would need to be taken to another area on the map that you'd need to backtrack to in order to get the orb. On the way from the key to the orb you'd find another adjacent puzzle that would need to be solved for future progression, so you do a little bit of that one too because you can't fully complete it. Finally, after all of this you backtrack to take the orb back to the door at the manor and solve the puzzle. All of this is occuring while you scavenge for ammo and healing items, manage inventory, and sometimes evade Mr. X.
it's more confusing and hard to keep track of but it engages you in the game more. You spend time scavenging the place for hints and solutions to puzzles. it's not as simple as a run and gun type of game, it's immersive and structured like a Metroidvania, but with knowledge instead of power: the ability to KNOW the solution to a problem rather than use brute force to over power it (which is better for repeat playthoughs) THIS is what made the fixed camera games so fucking good

RE4 is good too but for far different reasons

Last edited:

Represent.

I told the OP basically the same thing,he is out here asking a thread ranting and throwing a fit over a fame design choice that has always been part of the resident evil dna early on and actually makes the games more interesting becuase the puzzles add gameplay diversity and they puzzles require you to have a brain bigger than a peanut to be able to solve without getting frustrated
My guy, if you read my posts, instead of getting so defensive and triggered, you'd see my argument is that the puzzles don't actually add gameplay diversity. If the solution to every problem in the game is a puzzle... Then its not diverse.

Try to wrap your brain around that for a second, smart one.

Last edited:
My guy, if you read my posts, instead of getting so defensive and triggered, you'd see my argument is that the puzzles don't actually add gameplay diversity. If the solution to every problem in the game is a puzzle... Then its not diverse.

Represent(ative ) of dumb opinion go play Call of Dooty kiddo

My guy, if you read my posts, you'd see my argument is that the puzzles don't actually add gameplay diversity. If the solution to every problem in the game is a puzzle... Then its not diverse.

"Puzzle" itself is a diverse category that can range from matching symbols, riddles, item use, manipulating physical space, etc. It's entirely possible to have a game consist of nothing but puzzles and still be diverse.

it's more confusing and hard to keep track of but it engages you in the game more. You spend time scavenging the place for hints and solutions to puzzles. it's not as simple as a run and gun type of game, it's immersive and structured like a Metroidvania, but with knowledge instead of power: the ability to KNOW the solution to a problem rather than use brute force to over power it (which is better for repeat playthoughs) THIS is what made the fixed camera games so fucking good

RE4 is good too but for far different reasons
I agree, and I feel that RE 2 does backtracking and progression way better than most games. I'm just trying to help out the OP a little.

I know it's easy to dogpile and dismiss his opinion because we all enjoy the game, but I like to try and see things through another's perspective. What if OP likes AAA action game campaigns like CoD for example? They're trying this game for the first time as an action gamer after playing RE 4, and are thrown off and frustrated by all of the puzzles and backtracking. I get it 🤷‍♂️

Impotaku

The thing about 2 is that the police station actually has a reason for been like it does, if you read all the lore dotted about it explains it's history on why there's a lot of weird puzzle stuff. I can't remember the original explaining it but the remake does. I always wondered back in the day how a functioning police station could work with such odd puzzles locking off parts.

Can't say i'm a fan of the action based ones going onwards from 4, i loved the more puzzle based survival of the first 3. It made getting to new areas feel rewarding as you had to put the work in not just walk to a spot on the map with little obstruction.

Will definitely try out RE3 remake next. If that game nails atmosphere like this, and has way less puzzles, it will be a thing of beauty
RE3 remake has less puzzles for sure... And a fuck load less game.
With Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones 's statement, just keep in mind that RE3R's biggest strengths after your first playthrough, are the speedrunning and unlockable challenges. Due to the game's length and the way it's structured, it's best optimized for speedrunning and NG+ content, so it becomes even more fun after playthrough 1.

Sleepwalker

I agree, and I feel that RE 2 does backtracking and progression way better than most games. I'm just trying to help out the OP a little.

I know it's easy to dogpile and dismiss his opinion because we all enjoy the game, but I like to try and see things through another's perspective. What if OP likes AAA action game campaigns like CoD for example? They're trying this game for the first time as an action gamer after playing RE 4, and are thrown off and frustrated by all of the puzzles and backtracking. I get it 🤷‍♂️

I disagree with the piling on the OP and calling him dumb, lack of brains etc for sure. RE2 is a great game but it also not for everyone, I really like the game but personally hate Mr X for example.

He doesn't enjoy puzzles and that's ok, it's also not the game's fault.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I prefer RE2R to RE4R due to overall atmosphere in many cases. Although I think the Mr.X interactions might have something to do with it. Learning how to deal with Mr.X by understanding the RPD layout was quite fun as opposed to the scripted interactions they gave Nemesis in RE3R.

But after you get through the RPD the game does become a rather linear line afterwards.

I have to wonder for all the people complaining about puzzles if Mr X gave it to them.

resident evil 2 capcom GIF

Sleepwalker

I prefer RE2R to RE4R due to overall atmosphere in many cases. Although I think the Mr.X interactions might have something to do with it. Learning how to deal with Mr.X by understanding the RPD layout was quite fun as opposed to the scripted interactions they gave Nemesis in RE3R.

But after you get through the RPD the game does become a rather linear line afterwards.

I have to wonder for all the people complaining about puzzles if Mr X gave it to them.

resident evil 2 capcom GIF
0b721bb838ed6244741f83cc5108cb41.gif

RE2 is a great game but it also not for everyone, I really like the game but personally hate Mr X for example.

He doesn't enjoy puzzles and that's ok, it's also not the game's fault.
You're absolutely in the right about this take. I just want to make clear I never said anything is bad with RE 2 Remake. It was on my top 3 for the year it came out.

All I'm doing is removing myself from my own bias and trying to see things from a different perspective. I've had this happen before in life with a friend of mine not long ago, where he plays games like The Sims, and during conversation about games and The Expanse(TV Show) one time I just randomly recommended Mass Effect as an RPG to him without easing him into the genre with better recommendations. He ended up enjoying the character creator aspects, but not much else. To us, the Mass Effect Trilogy is a must play experience, but to him it was an annoying, complicated, and benign experience into a genre(arguably two genres, shooter and RPG) that he might have been interested in but had zero knowledge of and wasn't prepared for.

OP just approached this situation a bit more charged, but I guess it managed to get people to click and comment 🤷‍♂️

Represent.

You see nobody agrees without you dumb opinion about RE2 Remake

Lol you damn right
see below
Represent(ative ) of dumb opinion go play Call of Dooty kiddo
Reading your posts makes my IQ lower than it already is. Easily triggered and you argue like a 5 year old. Not sure how you're still around but you should probably migrate to www.systemwars.net

How the fuck do you need a guide to figure out that a key with an iron helmet on it opens the three doors you can't get through that have an iron helmet on it :messenger_face_screaming:
Because you have to wander around for an hour to find the iron helmet and the other 5 fucking pieces. If you like it, great. I found it more annoying than engaging.

Im now in the greenhouse area. Plant zombies. Probably close to the end I believe. Still solving puzzles left and right lol. Gotta upgrade my ID badge to senior level via a completion of a dozen puzzles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom