• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just found out Logitech is coming out with a Harmony remote for the 360

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I <3 those damn things. I'm glad, I'm going to chuck the 39.99 one I was going to buy.

Logitech Xbox 360 Harmony Remote Control is the official title. It's listed on Barnes & Noble and it's in the Gamestop system. $129 if I remember the price correctly

The functionality will probably fall in between these two remotes

Logitech® Harmony® 880 Advanced Universal Remote
6614.jpg

Logitech® Harmony® 520 Advanced Universal Remote
8140.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've got the harmony 880, it's good but I kinda regret my good old bulky RC2000 MK2. The 880 is great for standard setups, but when you want to tweak stuff it takes really really long :(

Lee-T

The Harmony remote is awesome. I didn't know an X-box one was coming out...I gotta see if I can get a deal on that when that comes out. I got the 688 for $100 so I'm hoping Logitech offers me the X-box one at half off too.

aaaaa0

PotatoeMasher said:
How many gyros does it have?

The funny thing is the 880 actually has an accelerometer in it. But all they use it for is to control the backlighting on the remote's display. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
*scratches head* Isn't the point of the Harmony remotes that they can be programmed to learn new devices? Why would you need a new model just to control the X360?

HokieJoe

Blimblim said:
I've got the harmony 880, it's good but I kinda regret my good old bulky RC2000 MK2. The 880 is great for standard setups, but when you want to tweak stuff it takes really really long :(

You running a Marantz receiver Blimblim?

HokieJoe said:
BTW guys, don't hate on Icebeezy. Harmony remotes are the bomb.

I'm just jealous that he could even think of buying a remote for any reason other than 'lost my remote,' not to mention one that expensive.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
HokieJoe said:
You running a Marantz receiver Blimblim?
Nope I have a Yamaha receiver, I bought it as a standalone remote. Really good, except it really used way too much power.

kaching said:
*scratches head* Isn't the point of the Harmony remotes that they can be programmed to learn new devices? Why would you need a new model just to control the X360?

because MS is requiring that peripherals are licensed....can't confirm, but MS is using a hardware solution to verify that a perihp is licensed (possibly a chip inside the unit)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I came into this topic so fast and all excited because I misread the topic title as "I Just Found Out Logitech Is Coming Out With A Force Feedback Wheel For The 360", only to discover a shitty remote :cry

Dammit Agent, whats the status on an FF wheel?

Agent Icebeezy said:
wife doesn't mind because it keeps me home

ive got a nice saturday planned out, i think were gonna go to the home depot, look at some wallpaper and some tiles, we might go to bed bath and beyond too, i just dont know if we'll have enough time :D

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I want to make efficent German sex with that remote.

Joe

looks really nice but im not a fan of having the numbers on the bottom. id rather have the numbers and the 360/dvd/dvd/vcr function buttons swap spots.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
monchi-kun said:
because MS is requiring that peripherals are licensed....can't confirm, but MS is using a hardware solution to verify that a perihp is licensed (possibly a chip inside the unit)

unless the xbox 360 "responds" to the device and the device has to somehow process that response and send more data back to the unit, it's impossible. The purpose of a learning remote is simply to duplicate the commands of the original remote control unit. If you have a remote that functions on your xbox 360, a learning remote is goign to be able to mimic that remote exactly and therefore fool the xbox 360 into using it. Of course, it's mostly academic at that point as you've already paid for an xbox 360 remote, you're just using a universal one to replace it.

No, no, not with the remotes. In fact, there are already downloadable 360 codes that make every old Harmony remote work with the 360.

Unison said:
I had a Harmony Remote for my home theater & I took it back because it sucked so much.

I can't imagine why you would think it would suck, so care to enlighten us what was so wrong with it? I haven't seen anything else out there that tops it for the price point. And even at higher prices very few match up.

SkinSider

Banned
I have a Harmony, but I end up using my box full o' remotes anyway. Problem with the Harmony is that the buttons are set up for shit they think you want to do. In real world situations, especially for gaming, you often need to do weird shit.

The web interface is clunky too, and REALLY bad at guessing model numbers. Unless you put the right dashes and spaces in there, you might think there's no code for your unit.

SkinSider said:
I have a Harmony, but I end up using my box full o' remotes anyway. Problem with the Harmony is that the buttons are set up for shit they think you want to do. In real world situations, especially for gaming, you often need to do weird shit.

The web interface is clunky too, and REALLY bad at guessing model numbers. Unless you put the right dashes and spaces in there, you might think there's no code for your unit.

It's a learning remote. You can make it learn to do anything you want. I've got mine set up to do whatever I want the way I want it and I've put all my remotes away for the first time ever with a universal remote. It really has all the functionality of all my remotes in there. In fact, because of the web interface, I learned new functionality that my devices could do that wasn't available on the remote. Like my TV has only a TV/Video input button to cycle through all 7 inputs. Yet because of the Harmony remote I can jump to any input directly rather than needing to cycle to it. So now my Harmony remote is BETTER than the original remote. What is it that you're having trouble doing?

SkinSider

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
It's a learning remote. You can make it learn to do anything you want. I've got mine set up to do whatever I want the way I want it and I've put all my remotes away for the first time ever with a universal remote. It really has all the functionality of all my remotes in there. In fact, because of the web interface, I learned new functionality that my devices could do that wasn't available on the remote. Like my TV has only a TV/Video input button to cycle through all 7 inputs. Yet because of the Harmony remote I can jump to any input directly rather than needing to cycle to it. So now my Harmony remote is BETTER than the original remote. What is it that you're having trouble doing?

Well, for example, it can control my receiver, but it literally doesn't have as many buttons as the receiver remote.

That's why you put as much functionality into the existing remote physical buttons and then apply all secondary functionality that you may use on occaision to the LCD screen.

SkinSider

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
That's why you put as much functionality into the existing remote physical buttons and then apply all secondary functionality that you may use on occaision to the LCD screen.

Which you have to admit, is fiddly to do. I do however have high hopes for this new 360 one.

SkinSider said:
Which you have to admit, is fiddly to do. I do however have high hopes for this new 360 one.

What do you mean fiddly? It's probably going to be no different than existing ones. In fact I'm sure the only difference is that it's preprogrammed for the 360.

svenuce

I have a Harmony remote for my home theater. I'd never ever go back to using any other.

I would bet you David Jaffe's left testicle (which is more valuable than mine) that all I have to do is plug my Harmony back in to the Logitech website, update my profile to include a 360 and voila, 360 remote.

Tellaerin

isamu said:
I came into this topic so fast and all excited because I misread the topic title as "I Just Found Out Logitech Is Coming Out With A Force Feedback Wheel For The 360", only to discover a shitty remote :cry

Dammit Agent, whats the status on an FF wheel?

How the fuck can you possibly misread 'Harmony remote' as 'Force Feedback Wheel', Isamu? :p

SkinSider

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
What do you mean fiddly? It's probably going to be no different than existing ones. In fact I'm sure the only difference is that it's preprogrammed for the 360.

I have a four year old model. I should have mentioned that earlier. You probably have a new one that reads your mind and changes color to match your mood.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
SkinSider said:
Well, for example, it can control my receiver, but it literally doesn't have as many buttons as the receiver remote.

If even high-end universal remotes had enough buttons to accomidate the configurations of all the remotes out there they would have to be replacement coffee tables. It's not practical. You have to compromise a little if you want to integrate all of your remotes. Having to use an LCD, macros, etc seems a worthy trade. Definitely beats doing the 20-remote shuffle.

Rhindle

Eh, I don't much care for the color scheme or the button layout. It would be nice if they had stuck with teh black/silver scheme. I'll probably end up getting one though cuz the standard X360 remote looks garish.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Just get the black and silver one which is avail. now and works w/ the 360...

Problem solved.

Top Bottom