• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like CG trailers.

Skyo

E3 is impending. It's not a new phenomenon by any means, but there've been a lot of complaints recently about how a trailer is CG so it's totally pointless or that one won't watch it because it's CG. We'll be seeing a lot more of these in the coming days.

I dont mind it but gameplay cutscenes impress me more. Last E3 the Horizon trailer when it changed from cutscene to gameplay. Niceee

I'm expecting Microsoft to have tons of em this year too.

Big Nikus

I don't understand why there is suddenly rise of hates for CGI trailers because the gameplay trailers usually come like few hours to few days later. Yeah, I always enjoys the CGI trailers because they are meant to be eye-candy for the audience to view, like OverWatch, Smash Bros, Street Fighter x Tekken, etc.

These are all cool.
I guess it depends... I like when CG trailers can stand on their own as short movies, like the beautiful ones from Blizzard and BioWare for The Old Republic.
The ones for Smash are pure fun.
But yesterday, the trailer for Agents of Mayhem was just boring. I feel that CG trailer can be especially bad for new IPs, except if you're Blizzard.

plufim

I love them too. Best situation is a CG reveal followed shortly by gameplay trailer.

I get the hate though. We're lied to so much in trailers that gameplay only is at least indicative of the final game. And CG can be overdone where the main character is seen doing amazing stuff that'll never occur in-game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
These are all cool.
I guess it depends... I like when CG trailers can stand on their own as short movies, like the beautiful ones from Blizzard and BioWare for The Old Republic.
The ones for Smash are pure fun.
But yesterday, the trailer for Agents of Mayhem was just boring. I feel that CG trailer can be especially bad for new IPs, except if you're Blizzard.

I totally agreed with you on Agents of Mayhem but I kinda like the trailer and it gave me the multiplayer coop vibe. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it's a single player only so the trailer is kinda misleading for me at least.

Arkam

Agh CG trailers, in my experience they are one of the quickest ways to blow $100k+

My last game spent ~$275k on a 90s video. And that was w/o voice actors or licensing known music.

Sure they are pretty... But boy do they eat that budget :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
I like them. I always find myself thinking "this is what graphics will look like on the next generation consoles!" But I like the CG look as well and I'm glad to have temporary, non-playable, significantly improved graphics.

pablito

I am talking in general. Gaming is not a special medium better or that much different from the rest. Teaser trailers exist everywhere and even for full length movies we have only CG trailers for live action movies. I think you don't get the point of my post, it's not about the use of CG in trailers for games/movies vs the end product, but that in every similar medium CG or some sort of subterfuge is used in every announcement unless that product is wees/months away.

And yes we cannot expect gameplay if a game is years out. It is disingenuous of you to expect it. Are you really asking why in the world a developer would announce/tease/reveal a new game when it is years away? Maybe to get some hype going and get people excited about said game before it actually comes out.

Most games are not Fallout 4 which has previous games so a big reveal is not necessary SO CG trailers are not as big a problem or an issue as gamers make it sound..

We're going in different directions on a part of this discussion, so I'll just address one thing. How many years are we talking? Because I'm absolutely asking why a developer would reveal a CG for a game that's years away. Things can happen during that time - cancellations, development issues requiring the original vision of the game not being realized (downgrades and such), the original video was a straight up lie (that one Killzone video claimed being in game but it was CG) or the original video was never a real game to begin with (FFXV 2013). Some of those aren't CG related, but are issues that can arise from an early reveal.

I just don't see the benefit of announcing so early. What makes it better?

Because those themes could be shown through gameplay, or cutscenes if the game is heavy on them. If you need a CGI trailer to portray such things I would consider that a problem.

But it's art, and you're introducing something, i don't get why you should only limit it to in-engine stuff. As long as it's clear you're showcasing CGI and not doing a Watchdogs, then it's fine in my book.

Archtreyz

I think it depends. If it's just an announcement, like with the Injustice trailer today, then it's totally cool. If it's a game reveal, where they show off the game, it needs to be gameplay.

I especially like Square's ever since I was a kid. Always will be my favorite. Also appreciate Blizzards. Everyone elses are kinda meh and used as filler because their gameplay isn't ready yet it seems.

Even last night...that Ride 2 trailer... yikes.

Quazar

I'll always be a fan of CG trailers. I think the dislike over the years partly, if not mostly, stems from publishers trying to be slick and pass it off as gameplay.

TheYanger

I'll always be a fan of CG trailers. I think the dislike over the years partly, if not mostly, stems from publishers trying to be slick and pass it off as gameplay.

This. CG trailers that are awesome I will watch again and again over the years. I'm not foolish enough to think that a CG trailer is somehow being given to us instead of a gameplay trailer in the sense that the same people aren't working on them anyway, aside from some budgeting it doesn't impact the game at all.

Some might be cool to see, but they are a waste of resources just to generate hype. I personally only watch trailers after I've played and enjoyed the game.

Falchion

I like the ones that set the atmosphere and introduce the world / characters to the audience. I don't like when CG trailers are used as a replacement to real gameplay.

Mannyquin

Neo Member
The Dawn of War 3 trailer is one of the best I've ever seen. Of course, it doesn't tell you anything gameplay-wise, and most of them aren't anywhere near that good. But when they are... whew boy.

Kinyou

I like the ones that set the atmosphere and introduce the world / characters to the audience. I don't like when CG trailers are used as a replacement to real gameplay.
I don't like it when they actively pretend to look like gameplay, but I love it when the CGI trailer also hints at the gameplay mechanics

The Left 4 Dead intro does a pretty fantastic job at teaching you various elements, like what each of the special infected does, while introducing you to the protagonists at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avdxtLleADM

Edit just saw that it was already posted, nice

Top Bottom