• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love PC Gaming

Ozrimandias

This.
It's not a smooth experience at all. Do you want to play Splinter Cell conviction? I have problems with every miserable game I want to launch for the most diverse reasons, I'm already bored with setting up, I just want to sit down and play quickly on my couch. 10 years ago the difference was probably abysmal, but now the gap is smaller. Today I privilege speed and comfort. Perhaps the only really relevant advantages on PC are its free multiplayer and infinite backwards compatibility.

Hugare

Couldn't agree more. I switched back to PC gaming about 3 months ago and I will never go back.

I've configured my PC to be a console-like experience, so when I turn it on I'm greeted with a really nice console-friendly UI:

53180524433_83d9724c02_o.png

Super couch friendly setup. I can turn on my PC with my Xbox controller, it loads up directly to this UI, and off I go.

It's still a trip to see PS5, Xbox, and Switch games all under one UI. Love it.
May I ask what you're using?

All 3 work with launchbox, the launchbox forums should help or some of the launchbox youtube videos. Your probably going to need to pay for launchbox to get bigbox mode to make it look the way you see in all the videos. Emulation Station can probably get it setup similarly for free.

Thanks for the information. Will look those after work today.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
May I ask what you're using?

Thanks for the information. Will look those after work today.

It's called Playnite.

It's actually surprisingly easy to set up. You pretty much just choose which storefronts you want to link to it (Steam, GOG, EA, Epic Store, etc..), connect them to the Playnite app, and from there it pulls in all of your owned games & automatically gives them nice icons and summaries and such.

If you want to go further and customize the UI, add emulators, etc.. it gets more complex, but it's a SUPER nice app in my experience.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I remember when I got Bioshock collection for cheap like 11 years ago. Forgot it was in my library, so a couple months or so ago I finally played Bioshock 2 (and will be playing 3 soon probably).

PC is magic :messenger_sunglasses:

I'm a new convert, recently got my first house and got a (non bedroom) room just for myself. I always knew I'd finally get a gaming PC when I finally had such a room, even though I already had a Switch, PS5, and XSX. Baldur's Gate 3 had me accelerate that timeline, and I basically bought one the day it came out.

Not sure there's been a better game or time to start with on a nice new PC. BG3 is now one of my all time favorite games, and one of the most unique ones I've ever played. Absolutely love the KB+M controls. And then Starfield comes out a month later and I get to play at ultra settings and 60FPS.

So far I've had no issues onboarding or having to customize things like I always heard about, it's been about as seamless as console gaming. The defaults for BG3 and SF have been performing really well and I haven't seen a need to tweak anything. I'm actually doing myself a disservice not getting into all the customization and other things that are now available to me, but all in good time.

It's still new, and it was by far the most expensive, but my PC is definitely my new favorite of my consoles. I've got a massive untouched Steam library to get through now too.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Love and hate it at the same time. When everything works it's bliss, when trying to figure out why a game crashes, doesn't perform as it should or why a mod broke the game it can be hell on earth.
Dev fault. Every time I've had such it was always a bad port and never had to do with my computer doing something wrong. In that case, most of the time it's also shit on PC. And mods are not supposed to work on PC since it's a piece of code that was never intended to be there so yeah, I wouldn't put "mods not working" as a problem, I'd put "mods actually working" as part of PC magic instead.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I take it you havent played TLoU Part 1 since launch, cuz they fixed that game super fast.
Even 8GB GPU work just fine now, even better they finally added in the medium and low textures which dont look like ass.

Hell the game will run at 60 with peasant machines now.
It runs like shit tho... You need way above PS5 GPU to run it without issues in 1440p at 60 fps and it makes your CPU throttle like a mofo if you use stock cooler, I know because I had this section running at 70 fps, then it came to 40 something and even lower, then I realized the frequency of my 5600x was around 2.8 GHz... 2.5 GHz and so on, so I had to buy a third party cooler and it literally solved the problem. The port is just badly done, even though GPU is always maxed, I have the feelings there's a huge CPU bottleneck somehow.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Do you have "A.I TP Control" enabled on your BIOS?
No, my CPU was constantly reaching 95º C... No other game or application did so ever before and I do some 3D modeling and game dev on my own. It throttled because the game pushes CPU so hard to decompress files in the background instead of using DirectStorage which was available since even before the game was available on PS5.

I mean, it's not unknown ND aren't even on par with average AAA PC dev out there, so even if the game was patched it doesn't mean some essential parts of its internal functioning can be easily reworked as they need. They seemed to be treating PC memory as a console memory and they fixed it though, so one never knows...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It runs like shit tho... You need way above PS5 GPU to run it without issues in 1440p at 60 fps and it makes your CPU throttle like a mofo if you use stock cooler, I know because I had this section running at 70 fps, then it came to 40 something and even lower, then I realized the frequency of my 5600x was around 2.8 GHz... 2.5 GHz and so on, so I had to buy a third party cooler and it literally solved the problem. The port is just badly done, even though GPU is always maxed, I have the feelings there's a huge CPU bottleneck somehow.

You need a more poweful GPU to replicate the PS5 experience?
Well since we are going like for like, then please also add the driver overhead and I/O bottlenecks to the PS5.
Why do people say stupid shit like this?
A closed box environment will always have an advantage.

The CPU bottleneck in the game is/was coming from the oodle decompression, it was stealing CPU cycles but thats largely been fixed but yes its not 100% flawless.

This is with a much weaker CPU/GPU than yours yet the person is having a perfectly playable experience.

P.S Runs stock cooler.....complains CPU overheated
The wonders of the world.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You need a more poweful GPU to replicate the PS5 experience?
Well since we are going like for like, then please also add the driver overhead and I/O bottlenecks to the PS5.
Why do people say stupid shit like this?
A closed box environment will always have an advantage.

The CPU bottleneck in the game is/was coming from the oodle decompression, it was stealing CPU cycles but thats largely been fixed but yes its not 100% flawless.

This is with a much weaker CPU/GPU than yours yet the person is having a perfectly playable experience.

P.S Runs stock cooler.....complains CPU overheated
The wonders of the world.

Calm down. Never said it wasn't "playable", wtf don't overreact at people's faces LMAO.

I know it needs a more powerful GPU, I have a 6700 XT which is around PS5 GPU (actually a little more powerful) and ran the game on High with Ultra textures and mostly played at around 70 fps but the game slowed all the way down to 40 fps in some busy moments, that happened like thrice or so tho, most of the time it was around 60 fps.

PS5 tends to be well above 70 fps and even reach 90 fps normally as per DF frame rate analysis. To do so I need at least a 6800 XT. In basically any other game my PC runs better or same than PS5. Same most of the time and better when PS5 has CPU limitations (quite normally in current gen games).

And I played the game last month after 1.1.2 patch, mind you.

A close box will always have "advantages" but when you compare PS5 GPU actual performance in real world, it's around or lower than a 6700 XT.

And yes, I complained about CPU overheating because that never happened before with any other game, that port is just brute forcing last gen methods on presumably current gen game (it doesn't look that much better).

DeaDPo0L84

I tried PC gaming but at the end of the day I just want to sit on the couch, push a button, and be able to play my game @ 30fps and substandard graphics. As an adult male with a full time job I don't have time to download drivers, crank start my GPU, dust the fin blades, reestablish my wi-fi connection, upgrade my family mobile plan, make sure I'm on the right software update, check all my cable connections, choose a new RGB configuration, etc. That's just to get to the title screen of whatever game I plan on playing that evening. Just give me a cheap ass box I can shove under my TV and then bitch when it's not giving me a $3000 experience. /s

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Calm down. Never said it wasn't "playable", wtf don't overreact at people's faces LMAO.

I know it needs a more powerful GPU, I have a 6700 XT which is around PS5 GPU (actually a little more powerful) and ran the game on High with Ultra textures and mostly played at around 70 fps but the game slowed all the way down to 40 fps in some busy moments, that happened like thrice or so tho, most of the time it was around 60 fps.

PS5 tends to be well above 70 fps and even reach 90 fps normally as per DF frame rate analysis. To do so I need at least a 6800 XT. In basically any other game my PC runs better or same than PS5. Same most of the time and better when PS5 has CPU limitations (quite normally in current gen games).

And I played the game last month after 1.1.2 patch, mind you.

A close box will always have "advantages" but when you compare PS5 GPU actual performance in real world, it's around or lower than a 6700 XT.

And yes, I complained about CPU overheating because that never happened before with any other game, that port is just brute forcing last gen methods on presumably current gen game (it doesn't look that much better).
Okay okay.

Lets not derail this thread, its PC gaming appreciation thread lets just leave things be.

BossLackey

Gold Member
PC gaming definitely gives more options and is "better" by most acounts, but there's something to be said about consoles being this self-contained box ready to go that's designed to play games. And playing on a TV on the couch is very cozy, especially when I'm already working 9+ hours on a PC every day (YES I KNOW YOU CAN HOOK A PC TO A TV STFU). And while chasing higher FPS is fun on PC, sometimes it's nice to have the more on-rails experience of a console, knowing you can't getter better FPS if I just tweak my CPU's voltage or upgrade my GPU. What you see is what you get and it let's you just focus on the fun of the game.

Consoles don't have driver interaction problems or cooling issues or hardware incompatibilities or a massive upfront cost.

I too am a PC/Switch/PS5 user, and while I play on PC the vast majority of the time, consoles are great too.

spons

Gold Member
I had to undervolt my 5600X to reach acceptable temperatures with the stock cooler. PC gaming is finicky as fuck, which is why it's both great and annoying.

Knightime_X

All games are remastered for free with every new PC upgrade.
Already remastered? HD texture packs and gfx mods galore!

That's just one out of thousands of different perks.
Don't like controller X? us controller Y.

No online paywalls, Zero physical sales will ever come close to how deep digital can go.

Want to play on couch or desk? Pick! PC can do both, even at the same time with multiple monitors!
PC gaming is so nice.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It was hyperbole but there is truth in it - I had trouble with a newer nvidia driver causing crashes and glitches recently and had to roll back. It's a known issue on the nvidia subreddit. nvidia's old reputation for having good drivers is losing its sheen.
I've had more issues on Nvidia drivers than on AMD drivers.

AMD drivers fame came from the first RDNA generation that, iirc, was hardware bugged so they could only do so much.

Nvidia in the other hand seem to artificially deprecate their older cards (around 4 years old) with drivers malfunctioning. When I had my GTX 560, black screen was normal if I installed a driver above v374 or something, even tho games ran better with the v390+ driver, games just blacked out and I had to force PC reboot.

It was years ago tho.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Like I said, I have the same PC I use at a desk hooked into TV and do use it with a controller. That gives me the authenticity to say consoles are better at this. If your vibe at that moment is laziness, as in flopping down, chances are you don't want to have to task out of the game to correct something. Which happens to me >50% of the time. As soon as I need an orbit of 3 hardware around me to be sure I won't have to get up and go to my desk, fuck this. If I just wanted to play some platformer I'm better off grabbing a controller, pressing Power, and being in my game.

This isn't a "consoles beat PCs post", it's a "yeah PCs are master race but don't forget consoles have their purpose" post.
I never intended to get you on the defensive mate. Just pointing out how I handle the 'I just wanna relax on the sofa with a beer and the controller' situation.

dDoc

Grey market prices are still really good though.

But honestly console digital game prices can be really cheap too if you kn
Agreed. One can get cheaper physical console games as well though.

PC has many benefits ofc, but steam prices/sales is not one of them any more imo.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Congratulations, you managed to escape the walled gardens that are console platforms.

Now for the next step, try to escape the ever spying trojan horse and malware infested piece of shit that is Windows. Good luck.
Use linux.
Steam game prices and sales have been shit for years.
That's on the devs though. Still generally cheaper than anywhere else besides key sellers. Just make sure you buy from authorized key sellers...
I've had more issues on Nvidia drivers than on AMD drivers.

AMD drivers fame came from the first RDNA generation that, iirc, was hardware bugged so they could only do so much.

Nvidia in the other hand seem to artificially deprecate their older cards (around 4 years old) with drivers malfunctioning. When I had my GTX 560, black screen was normal if I installed a driver above v374 or something, even tho games ran better with the v390+ driver, games just blacked out and I had to force PC reboot.

It was years ago tho.
I had a 6800 and the drivers were terrible (on windows).
No issues after going back to nvidia.

XOMTOR

I used to love PC gaming too, but now I'm old, lazy and cheap. Console is good enough for the measly few hours/week I can afford to 'dedicate' to gaming.

Topher

Gold Member
I just love the sheer amount of freedom and the fact that PC games don't have to worry about what the developer dictates as far as frame rate and resolution.

I'll still game on PS5 however. I gotta have those first party Sony fames (not live shit). As long as those keep coming then I'll keep gaming on PS. Well that and the games I decide to rent on Gamefly. Too bad PC we can't rent PC games.

yamaci17

I just love the sheer amount of freedom and the fact that PC games don't have to worry about what the developer dictates as far as frame rate and resolution.

I'll still game on PS5 however. I gotta have those first party Sony fames (not live shit). As long as those keep coming then I'll keep gaming on PS. Well that and the games I decide to rent on Gamefly. Too bad PC we can't rent PC games.
it is insane todd refuses 40 fps for xbox folks. the game realistically only drops to 30s 35s on 3700x in crowded cities where not much of an action happens

the xbox would literally lock to 40 fps %80-85 of the game. he refuses to do it. devs refuse to do it. it is really insane.

if i can hit a fps target %60-70 of the time, I will surely use that as a target on PC , for example. I adore this freedom

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
it is insane todd refuses 40 fps for xbox folks. the game realistically only drops to 30s 35s on 3700x in crowded cities where not much of an action happens

the xbox would literally lock to 40 fps %80-85 of the game. he refuses to do it. devs refuse to do it. it is really insane.

if i can hit a fps target %60-70 of the time, I will surely use that as a target on PC , for example. I adore this freedom

Exactly. No idea what Todd Howard's problem is. He think he released a perfectly optimized game......somehow. Xbox fans have to put up with that shit unfortunately but incredibly thankful for the PC mod community and, like you, the ability to set my own targets.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
How about no? I have the PC plugged in both TV and monitor. 🤷‍♂️

I plug my PC into a TV all the time. But every time I bring that up as a bonus for consoles (because it IS easier!), a bunch of dimwits come out of the woodwork with their "um actually" bs.

idk why people complain about things being difficult with pc gaming. I've never really had any issues, unless I am trying to mod a game or play something really old. All issues I do have get resolved by a quick google search and like 5 minutes of effort.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
idk why people complain about things being difficult with pc gaming. I've never really had any issues, unless I am trying to mod a game or play something really old. All issues I do have get resolved by a quick google search and like 5 minutes of effort.

Because it's unquestionably way more difficult than console gaming.

I love PC gaming but there's definitely truth that if you just want to plug the box into your TV and turn it on, console gaming is a much better solution.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
3ZYbvdQ.gif

And why not be a sexual beast?

PC does it all and can play almost every game ever made. It's never been easier and more fasionable to be a legit bad ass.

I love PC gaming but there's definitely truth that if you just want to plug the box into your TV and turn it on, console gaming is a much better solution.
I suppose that's true. I had a pc as a young child, long before I ever had a console.

A correlation could be made between manual transmission cars and automatic transmission cars. You can do more with a manual transmission, but auto is easier and is more widespread because of that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I had to undervolt my 5600X to reach acceptable temperatures with the stock cooler. PC gaming is finicky as fuck, which is why it's both great and annoying.
It wasn't an option for me playing TLOU P1 though, my motherboard doesn't allow me to do so and it's too late to change it, I'm planning a second AM5 build for gaming and leave the current one for personal work so it's not worth it to continue investing in AM4 for intensive workload.

If you stay on Steam you can do so. I started using Steam Big Picture (which is the same now than Steam Deck interface) to play more comfortable from my couch in the living room and this is how it goes:

1. I turn the computer, wait for it to open (automatically on startup)
2. Turn on my controller
3. Pick the game in my library and boot it up to play
4. When I'm done, I close the game and it takes me to SBP again
5. Press Xbox button, to open menu and select "Turn off computer" and that's it

I do so more than once per day since I might probably be playing a game before my wife want to watch a show while eating dinner, then after the show I just turn my computer on again (might as well leave it on but it's easy and quick it really doesn't matter).

SHA

For those who say "PC don't make sense, unlike consoles #"*$##*", those who're allergic to pressing few extra clicks, your kinds are the weirdest I've ever seen in my life, cause in PC's language, the problem is you, not the machine.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It has good times and bad. That’s why it is nice to have a PS5 as well. Like not having to wait years to play Ragnarok or Spider-Man 2 is a great use for the console IMO.

PC is my primary device but sometimes I don’t need it for a game like sea of stars. Other times it’s a must for say World of Warcraft .

Last edited:
Top Bottom