• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love PC Gaming

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It wasn't an option for me playing TLOU P1 though, my motherboard doesn't allow me to do so and it's too late to change it, I'm planning a second AM5 build for gaming and leave the current one for personal work so it's not worth it to continue investing in AM4 for intensive workload.

If you stay on Steam you can do so. I started using Steam Big Picture (which is the same now than Steam Deck interface) to play more comfortable from my couch in the living room and this is how it goes:

1. I turn the computer, wait for it to open (automatically on startup)
2. Turn on my controller
3. Pick the game in my library and boot it up to play
4. When I'm done, I close the game and it takes me to SBP again
5. Press Xbox button, to open menu and select "Turn off computer" and that's it

I do so more than once per day since I might probably be playing a game before my wife want to watch a show while eating dinner, then after the show I just turn my computer on again (might as well leave it on but it's easy and quick it really doesn't matter).

I use Playnite for my console-replacement UI/navigation, and it works great and is more robust than Steam Big Picture, but...

There's wayyyyyyy more setup in getting Steam Big Picture going (particularly if you have games from other storefronts or use emulators) than simply turning on a console and signing in.

Again, it's great and I love that PC offers the flexibility to get something close to a console like experience, but many consumers aren't going to want to spend time messing around getting stuff like that going.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I use Playnite for my console-replacement UI/navigation, and it works great and is more robust than Steam Big Picture, but...

There's wayyyyyyy more setup in getting Steam Big Picture going (particularly if you have games from other storefronts or use emulators) than simply turning on a console and signing in.

Again, it's great and I love that PC offers the flexibility to get something close to a console like experience, but many consumers aren't going to want to spend time messing around getting stuff like that going.
That's only if you use different storefronts.

I do, but I've discovered the convenience of staying on Steam just for SBP. It's pretty much plug and play to me. Turn PC on, pick a game, close the game, turn computer off with the controller as you'd do in a console.

Ev1L AuRoN

Ever since I bought my PS5 I pretty much abandoned my PC, last week though I dust it off to play Starfield. I hocked on my new 65'' TV for the first time and start playing. It felt like home, Starfield though started slow and after 3 hours I got bored and fired Baldur's Gate 3. Had a blast, I've played with game pad. I thought the game would be unplayable without KB/M but Larian did an amazing job translating the game to a controller, KB/M is obviously better but playing the game on a couch totally worth it.

I used to love console gaming, and will always have a soft spot due to the memories, but PC is just freedom, freedom to play games how you want, use what settings you want, use what controllers you want, play with cheats and trainers if you want, mods if you want, way cheaper game prices if you know where to look, etc.
Preach!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Walking out of his liquid cooling solution for the 4090, and unto the NeoGAF to post.
giphy.gif
Perfection.gif

Crayon

Love pc gaming but the gpu prices really put a damper on things. My ps5 becomes the default for the few games with really heavy graphics. There are two few of them to justify the gpu upgrade I would have to make to really beat up the console. To get 60fps in starfield, for example.

So the better graphics and performance isn't really a thing for me, and pc is still home base. The selection, prices, steam platform (I hardly use anything else), mods, peripheal support, etc etc etc.

BossLackey

Gold Member
8k, ultra wide, most probably lower input lag, whatever controller you want, cheaper price, free online, mods...

Bro. You just wanna argue.

I already primarily play on PC. You don't have to sell me. It's better. I fucking get it.

That doesn't mean consoles don't have their place, even if you DO have a PC.

Christ.

Bkdk

As much as I am disappointed about starfield's vanilla release, august is one of the best month for me still, will likely be playing bg3 and starfield for years to come due to them promising robust mod support. Phantom liberty is in the corner as well and modded playthroughs of these 3 titles will take up thousands hours of playtime for me in the future eventually.

Puscifer

Its compelling but mostly for library transfer and the open nature of it.
No haptic support on dualsense is a major consideration for myself, its night and day when you go from PS5 games to PC.Sure higher frames and image quality but the core experience of booting out of rest mode, continuing your save instantly with no windows is actually amazing.

Not to mention the haptics and triggers are not just a gimmick, even the in controller speaker adds a lot to the feel of playing the game, the tactile feedback and the immersion of the DS is incredible and adds a hell of a lot to the feeling and response from the game.

Some games support some of the DS features on PC but not many third party do where most do implement it on PS5. I hope in the future sony release a wireless dongle for it to be supported fully natively. Please no one mention the shit show app which is DSX.
As someone who's put a collective 150+ hours into Returnal on PC and PS5 I can honestly say that it's a gimmick lol. I even turn off haptics while I'm playing my game because, well, I'm trying to PLAY A GAME. Stuff like CoD having dynamic haptics is ridiculous because you literally end up dying fighting with the controller, or fucking up Nero combos in DmC 5 or trying to switch modes on the fly in Returnal. I think the only game where I didn't find the haptics a burden was RE Village because it's a slower paced game, anything that requires any real attention from the player is just silly to have on.

8k, ultra wide, most probably lower input lag, whatever controller you want, cheaper price, free online, mods...
Not most probably, but DEFINITELY better input lag. Fighting Games eventually end up better on PC in the long run because anyone still playing Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc after a year is in it for the long haul. Dragon Ball Fighterz is the shit running at a native 4K

StereoVsn

Unlike console, we have insane line up of libraries that stretches multiple console generations.

We are not being forced to pay online mode or buy new version. We can slowly upgrade our system, while saving money.

And best of all, steam sales rules.
With emulation, that library stretches many console generations as well! 😉

But yeah, without PC how could I play From games on easy mode!?

StereoVsn

As much as I am disappointed about starfield's vanilla release, august is one of the best month for me still, will likely be playing bg3 and starfield for years to come due to them promising robust mod support. Phantom liberty is in the corner as well and modded playthroughs of these 3 titles will take up thousands hours of playtime for me in the future eventually.
Yeah, I mean realistically speaking that's a LOT of gameplay especially as mods get better for Starfield and Cyberpunk.

Plus City Skyline 2 is coming as well. And u haven't even gotten to Jagged Alliance 3.

Hohenheim

Prefer PC for every game that's not a couch co-op thing.
And the indie stuff I used to play on Switch, I now play on the Rog Ally.
Having a portable PC like that as a suppliment for my desktop have basically retired the Switch for me after the last Zelda.
PS5 is mostly used for Netflix etc, with a exclusive now and then (last one was FF16)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Couldn't agree more. I switched back to PC gaming about 3 months ago and I will never go back.

I've configured my PC to be a console-like experience, so when I turn it on I'm greeted with a really nice console-friendly UI:

53180524433_83d9724c02_o.png

Super couch friendly setup. I can turn on my PC with my Xbox controller, it loads up directly to this UI, and off I go.

It's still a trip to see PS5, Xbox, and Switch games all under one UI. Love it.
You play forspoken so you know good games.
But you also play madden and made your pc look like a fake console…. Which at this point you wasted 2k dollars.

But I will cut you some slack. Good job.

Elysium44

Banned
PC gaming where companies like CDPR change the game you bought afterwards so it no longer runs very well. They did it with Witcher 3 and it looks like they're doing it again.

Console gamers just don't have to worry about any of this stuff. You install the game and play it and that's all you ever have to do.

Another moan... I use an Xbox pad with my PC and use the official Microsoft bluetooth adapter, this works well most of the time but sometimes it just loses connection and requires you to actually remove the USB device physically from the computer and reinsert it, then it works. Even a reboot doesn't fix it, you have to remove it physically. This is a bug that affects a lot of people and Microsoft have never fixed it in all the years it's existed. It's a pain as my PC is under my desk and it's awkward to get to. I have to do this every so often.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Another moan... I use an Xbox pad with my PC and use the official Microsoft bluetooth adapter, this works well most of the time but sometimes it just loses connection and requires you to actually remove the USB device physically from the computer and reinsert it, then it works.

I had the same problem - on my Xbox One. Constant controller disconnects.

Funny enough I’ve never experienced the issue on my PC, with the first party dongle. Now I’m using Bluetooth with a Series controller, and no issues there either.

Sometimes tech is just squirrelly.

Rea

I was a PS5 fan, after getting lots of shit news from greedy Playstation, I bought my own RTX4090 PC and having a blast with this. It worth evey goddamn penny. PC gaming is amazing. ❤️

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

PC gaming where companies like CDPR change the game you bought afterwards so it no longer runs very well. They did it with Witcher 3 and it looks like they're doing it again.

Just a few clicks and done, reverted to pre-next gen patch. If anything its much better than with consoles where you either get the (usually broken) 1.0 (assuming its physical) or the latest version.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Metal Gear Revengence doesn’t work on my PC. Can’t scale resolutions properly without some mods. But that is the odd one out.

A lot of old Windows 3.1 games run too fast or not at all, for these and old DOS games you need to run an emulator like DOSBox.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
PS3 and X360 emulation runs on PS5? Why should we not count emulation?

Damn dude, I'm sure you know what I meant. And we could count it, but the guy made it sound like it was native backwards compatibility and it is not.

amigastar

I also love PC Gaming. I'm PC only since 2000, maybe when Switch 2 will come out i will get it but otherwise PC only.

Svejk

Been trying to get (back?) into PC gaming, but the same shit obstacles always come flooding back; Controller connection, optimization, connecting laptop to a TV, adjusting audio, having to run headphones from the laptop and not the controller, having to set up said laptop on a desk/chair, turn on blue tooth, and then some... It's still a chore for me. Setting up my PSVR takes less work. Lol I have to play with a PS controller though, so some obstacles I make for myself...

I remain optimistic though, because I love the potential of steam deck (the quick TV access) and it's big screen mode and PS controller settings. Feels like they're finally getting to a point where PC gaming is getting streamlined more than ever... And if it weren't for mods, I wouldn't even give a second of consideration towards PC gaming, tbph. But that's a HUGE factor there, and worth the effort alone.

Last edited:
Steam game prices and sales have been shit for years.
This. Console game sales have caught up to steam in the last few years.

I remember the glory days of 70% and above on a ton of shit. You could get semi recent games for dirt cheap. That is increasingly rare these days.

Elysium44

Banned
Not a game I care about but NBA 2K24 is getting hammered on Steam for being inferior to the console versions.

There have been games in the past which did this, I seem to remember Dead or Alive 6 is inferior on PC to the PS4/Xbox One versions in terms of graphical effects. Having the best hardware doesn't always help, when some developers treat PC gamers as second class citizens.

MacReady13

Recently built my gaming PC but damn if it isn't frustrating... Starfield just randomly closing straight to desktop. My PC randomly restarted the other day whilst on the Windows home screen. Forza Horizon doing the same thing as Starfield. Love the freedom to do what you want but those issue constantly creeping in make it difficult to give up console gaming for that stability.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Console gamers just don't have to worry about any of this stuff. You install the game and play it and that's all you ever have to do.

Another moan... I use an Xbox pad with my PC and use the official Microsoft bluetooth adapter, this works well most of the time but sometimes it just loses connection and requires you to actually remove the USB device physically from the computer and reinsert it, then it works. Even a reboot doesn't fix it, you have to remove it physically. This is a bug that affects a lot of people and Microsoft have never fixed it in all the years it's existed. It's a pain as my PC is under my desk and it's awkward to get to. I have to do this every so often.
That's shit, they should have made like EA (of all companies lmao) did with Bioshock 1 & 2, when they released the remasters, they delisted original versions and gave original owners a copy of the remaster so nobody stayed out of the upgrade and kept access to original version.

Regarding controller disconnecting, it doesn't frequently but yeah, I definitely get it, it happens to me since I got a Windows Xbox Controller dongle and I thought it was the device. There's definitely some software issue there.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn dude, I'm sure you know what I meant. And we could count it, but the guy made it sound like it was native backwards compatibility and it is not.
Thing is: On PC you can, and the system is natively prepared for that. On consoles you can't unless you hack it, which makes it even more problematic than PC, with less advantages and risking it to get bricked.

Been trying to get (back?) into PC gaming, but the same shit obstacles always come flooding back; Controller connection, optimization, connecting laptop to a TV, adjusting audio, having to run headphones from the laptop and not the controller, having to set up said laptop on a desk/chair, turn on blue tooth, and then some... It's still a chore for me. Setting up my PSVR takes less work. Lol I have to play with a PS controller though, so some obstacles I make for myself...

I remain optimistic though, because I love the potential of steam deck (the quick TV access) and it's big screen mode and PS controller settings. Feels like they're finally getting to a point where PC gaming is getting streamlined more than ever... And if it weren't for mods, I wouldn't even give a second of consideration towards PC gaming, tbph. But that's a HUGE factor there, and worth the effort alone.
This reminds me when someone complains:
"PC being shit because if you run everything max with RT it goes to shit but console versions do well".

Sure, they complainers most of the time are those people running the game way beyond console specs and modding and whatnot, if PC players ran most of the ports released this year at console settings they wouldn't even notice most problems.

PC main disadvantage is that it can be and do everything, therefore people will try to push it as much as they can with its unexpected side effects, but as long as you don't try to go too crazy with it and stay in the line of officially supported features, it's a pretty seamless experience 99% of the time.

You can even avoid buying games in other stores than Steam, have all your games on Steam, use SBP with a controller and you rarely need to use a M&K as long as you use your PC for gaming alone. I know because I barely touch my M&K and I play every day on it that way.

Top Bottom