• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love pretty much everything about the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The Rito region needed a random hylian town badly. Probably that detroyed town near one of the towers.

I would have gladly taken a Hylian town deep in the Hebra region.

Not to threadwhine but I thought we had a screenshot sharing thread already? The giant posts full of pictures is distracting from all the cool BOTW culture talk.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Yup, my favorite part of the game as well. And Urbosa + Riju have some of the better VA in the game as a bonus.

The desert could have had some more interesting things to find in it though.
I'm friends with Elizabeth Maxwell and was super happy to hear she got to be a Gerdudo. Very talented lady. Huge gaming nerd too. She is also in Persona 5 so things have been going well for her.

Neiteio

I would have gladly taken a Hylian town deep in the Hebra region.
I didn't play much of Phantom Hourglass, and I didn't even start Spirit Tracks, but didn't one of those games feature an all-new race of penguin-like people who dressed like eskimos? Maybe that would've worked in the Hebra region. Would've been fun to see igloos!

Similarly, the reptilian Tokay from the Oracle games would've made for great inhabitants in the rainforests of the Faron region. DLC, perhaps! I also find myself missing the Deku Scrub's swamp kingdom from MM. More than a few bogs where they could've shown up in BotW. :)

EatinOlives said:
Not to threadwhine but I thought we had a screenshot sharing thread already? The giant posts full of pictures is distracting from all the cool BOTW culture talk.
When I made this thread, I put the focus on Gerudo in the title, but as you see in my OP, it's also about appreciating the world of BotW in general. A number of people expressed interest in the pics, so this thread is pretty much parallel tracks of "culture talk" and "art direction appreciation." You can always scroll past it, or contribute to the discussion of the Gerudo yourself.

Staccat0 said:
I'm friends with Elizabeth Maxwell and was super happy to hear she got to be a Gerdudo. Very talented lady. Huge gaming nerd too. She is also in Persona 5 so things have been going well for her.
Which one did Elizabeth Maxwell voice? I really liked Urbosa's VA. Harder to say what I think of Riju's, though. While Riju is my favorite character, she didn't have enough voiced dialogue for me to get a feel for her VA. It almost sounded like she had an Asian accent, though?

On the note of Riju... I love her hair. I'm guessing she'll grow into it someday? Note the bleached streak running through it (also Naboris trundling about in the corner):

botw-gerudoriju09tsuhe.jpg

One of my favorite designs after RIju is King Rhoam. I think they absolutely nailed his design here, creating a worthy successor to the equally excellent King Daphnes in Wind Waker:

botw-kingrhoam025eaii.jpg

Shifting gears to Link himself for a moment... What's everyone's favorite outfit in the game?

I think the Rubber Suit is criminally underrated. Super-cool design (if a bit, uh, "50 Shades of Grey"). And you look anime AF when you twirl around in it upon receiving Urbosa's Fury:

2017040818391500-f1c1qzra3.jpg

I'd like to close with a couple NPCs with designs I like.

Sophie, at Ventest Clothing in Hateno Village, looks like the cover of Catherine, or a Persona character in general. Think it's the wide-set eyes. Cute character who creepily stands in the corner... I thought the store was abandoned at first!

botw-face20aj3rdq.jpg

And here's my man, Bolson. Love the Zelda series' tradition of flamboyant carpenters — another thing they brought back from OoT and MM (in addition to the Gerudo). Also included a Hudson shot:

botw-face19xqo4j.jpg

I just can't get enough of the characters and world of this game. I think BotW has even outdone TWW in terms of overall visual charm.

Dryk

One of my favourite things about the rubber suit is running around in a storm trying to kill Bokoblins with lightning

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
agree absolutely. Love the Gerudos in this game for many reasons; first of all there's diversity even among them, with tanner or paler skin, and it doesn't make a big deal out of it; awesome. Then there's a lot of different personalities, from the three snarky chilling probably-upper-class women at the pub to the super adorbs one who's sobbing next to them, to the steely looking royal bodyguard. Their features are wildly different from one another (hair, nose, skin tone, build); there are children and elderly people, law abiding citizens and some who live on the edge. Nintendo did a really good job at fleshing them out

and Urbosa is SEXY AND SHE KNOWS IT

tumblr_omvu3szooK1qas7y7o3_500.gif

Neiteio

One of my favourite things about the rubber suit is running around in a storm trying to kill Bokoblins with lightning
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Rubber Suit won't protect you against lightning strikes. I learned this the hard way while in Naboris fighting Thunderblight Ganon... (but I kept wearing it regardless, since it looks so cool)!

I did a challenge the other day where, wearing the Thunder Helm, I took on a white lynel only using lightning strikes and arrows (for stunning purposes only). I would wait until I would spark, shoot the lynel, mount it and let the lightning do the damage. It was amazing

Design talk

I love everything about the Rubber Suit other than the doofy looking catfish helmet. I picked up an extra Climbing Bandana, dyed it black and wore it with the Rubber Suit.

I agree the Gerudo are the best fleshed out in all ways, a lot of care was taken with them, but my favorite designs are the Rito. I love how they look and running into Kass was always a treat. The full on bird people design is much preferable to me than the weird human with bird features look used in Wind Waker. I hope Nintendo sticks with their current designs for all of the various LoZ peoples.

I was disappointed with how light weight the content in the Rito area was compared to Gerudo or even Zora though. The cap to Kass' journey was a nice touch at least.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Rubber Suit won't protect you against lightning strikes. I learned this the hard way while in Naboris fighting Thunderblight Ganon... (but I kept wearing it regardless, since it looks so cool)!

I haven't tested it, but I read that that's what its set bonus does.

Neiteio

I haven't tested it, but I read that that's what its set bonus does.
Mine is fully upgraded. It protects you against electricity in general, but it doesn't seem to protect you against actual lightning strikes. I guess the sheer force of lightning is still too much for the Rubber Suit to absorb.

Then again, maybe that was just the case with Thunderblight Ganon. Haven't tested it against natural lightning in a storm.

DragonGirl said:
I love everything about the Rubber Suit other than the doofy looking catfish helmet. I picked up an extra Climbing Bandana, dyed it black and wore it with the Rubber Suit.
The helmet is the best part! (Well, second best, after those high-top sneakers.) Well, at least I like it. :)

I think I like the helmet so much because it reminds me of the Catfish's Maw in Link's Awakening.

Actually, a lot of things in this game remind me of LA. Like Eventide Island. I have some cool screens I'll share later.

Mine is fully upgraded. It protects you against electricity in general, but it doesn't seem to protect you against actual lightning strikes. I guess the sheer force of lightning is still too much for the Rubber Suit to absorb.

Then again, maybe that was just the case with Thunderblight Ganon. Haven't tested it against natural lightning in a storm.

You are immune to lighting with the fully upgraded rubber suit. You can withstand lighting strikes during a storm.

plufim

Wholeheartedly agree. I wish the DLC would allow us to explore the events 100 years in the past if only that we could get more fleshing out of the champions
My ideal season 2 DLC would be a 4 short stories, each 3 months apart, focusing on each champion and how they acquired their ability via a dungeon test.

Red

Each region is interesting and unique in some way. I'm not going to attempt to pick a favorite, but there have been some great moments where the weather and lighting and terrain come together to really evoke a sense of adventure.

I liked this scene with the koroks:

I greatly enjoyed all the hints of varying subtlety as to the desert region being a vast section of ocean in perhaps the not so so so distant past.

and yeah Bolson is a top 5 franchise character in my eyes

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I greatly enjoyed all the hints of varying subtlety as to the desert region being a vast section of ocean in perhaps the not so so so distant past.

and yeah Bolson is a top 5 franchise character in my eyes

I totally missed the ocean hints about the desert. Would you mind elaborating on what gave you that impression?

Makonero

The whole world was covered in water at one point if we take the Leviathan skeletons at face value, since they're all water beasts.

Akkala is my favorite region, hands down. Autumn is such an underutilized setting for games. Tarry Town being the best town is also part of my love for the region.

Neiteio

Akkala is my favorite region, hands down. Autumn is such an underutilized setting for games. Tarry Town being the best town is also part of my love for the region.
Speaking of which, here are a few shots of the Rubber Suit in that setting:

2017031802140200-f1c1jbuch.jpg

2017031802122700-f1c1txu3v.jpg

2017031802080600-f1c1hiu4o.jpg

And here are my photos from Eventide Island, one of the coolest parts of the game. One of them appeared in the OP, but I include it here for completion's sake.

I tried to aim for vivid daytime shots and night shots with lots of texture and/or foliage. Everything is so lush!

2017032100343501-f1c12put1.jpg

2017032100280100-f1c1x1up2.jpg

2017032100285800-f1c1uaunj.jpg

2017032100395400-f1c1iauj5.jpg

2017032100412100-f1c18cux6.jpg

2017032100531200-f1c1ygulj.jpg

2017032100535000-f1c1ziuhx.jpg

2017032101181800-f1c1mcumq.jpg

2017032101182500-f1c1spui8.jpg

2017032101231700-f1c1g1ugb.jpg

2017032101305200-f1c1pou8c.jpg

2017032101433200-f1c1u7usi.jpg

2017032101494800-f1c1csuc0.jpg

2017032101513700-f1c1yzunb.jpg

2017032101524400-f1c13fuyo.jpg

2017032101540700-f1c19fu9l.jpg

2017032101573200-f1c1ruywp.jpg

2017032101574400-f1c1ffljp.jpg

2017032101584400-f1c15uxs6.jpg

2017032101592400-f1c117bbx.jpg

2017032102042400-f1c18lyqz.jpg

2017032102052600-f1c1qda19.jpg

2017032102080800-f1c19tlkf.jpg

Oh, and this one cracks me up for its resemblance to a meme (note the skeletons chucking stones in the corner):

2017032101552500-f1c11yu5x.jpg

For reference:

044jfjm4.png

SkyOdin

The whole world was covered in water at one point if we take the Leviathan skeletons at face value, since they're all water beasts.

I figured the Leviathans were the remains of flying sky-whales, like Levias from Skyward Sword or the Wind Fish. The leviathan bones do have whale-like skulls, and the one in the Gerudo desert clearly has bones for a wing protruding out of its back.

Skyward Sword does make it very clear that the Gerudo Desert is the dried out remains of an amcient sea though.

boxter432

Shifting gears to Link himself for a moment... What's everyone's favorite outfit in the game?

I think the Rubber Suit is criminally underrated. Super-cool design (if a bit, uh, "50 Shades of Grey"). And you look anime AF when you twirl around in it upon receiving Urbosa's Fury:

right after getting this suit, I warped to the shrine in the dark forest and played around with jumps and screenshots for about 10 minutes.
C7aoL-2VsAAy79e.jpg

is the rubber suit found all in shrines? I have 112 shrines and only 1 piece haha.

Neiteio

right after getting this suit, I warped to the shrine in the dark forest and played around with jumps and screenshots for about 10 minutes.
C7aoL-2VsAAy79e.jpg

is the rubber suit found all in shrines? I have 112 shrines and only 1 piece haha.
Pretty sure the Rubber Suit is found entirely in shrines.

And that's a fun idea with the Radiant Suit! Really love the concept of a glow-in-the-dark outfit. :)

Neiteio

Before completing the game, I toured some of my favorite areas. Just immersing myself in the tranquility of nature, and exploring the outskirts of town. The beach shots from Akkala at the end remind me of vacationing on Maine's coast:

2017042623051200-f1c17ukvv.jpg

2017042623055800-f1c1vhjr1.jpg

2017042700101400-f1c1pqyut.jpg

2017042623363000-f1c1uajbm.jpg

2017042623313400-f1c127j6q.jpg

2017042700123000-f1c1cgb9l.jpg

2017042700135200-f1c1dfa0j.jpg

2017042700145000-f1c18slht.jpg

2017042700181500-f1c13fbqz.jpg

2017042700270100-f1c1cqk4o.jpg

2017042700362800-f1c12yjc6.jpg

2017042700390300-f1c1u4jky.jpg

2017042700400100-f1c1tvkum.jpg

2017042700420400-f1c11tkql.jpg

2017042700502701-f1c1kdke4.jpg

2017042700533900-f1c1zqkml.jpg

2017042700553800-f1c1ipjps.jpg

2017042700564700-f1c1pkkru.jpg

2017042701063900-f1c16fsjd.jpg

2017042701074500-f1c1rhslz.jpg

2017042701093500-f1c10tsd3.jpg

2017042701125500-f1c16asv9.jpg

2017042701140400-f1c1rhsyj.jpg

2017042701150200-f1c1r6s8f.jpg

Neiteio

The following are repeats, originally from the OP, but I just want to repost them, this time without quote tags, to appreciate Hyrule in full glory:

botw-island020fu3x.jpg

botw-jungle01teuf9.jpg

botw-ascent01smuws.jpg
botw-autumnguard017yukd.jpg
botw-autumndawn023xu9t.jpg
botw-seacliffs014mlqa.jpg
botw-seacliffs02u6zjh.jpg
botw-sealight01kibrj.jpg

botw-woods02d3uk6.jpg

botw-woods01pzu8e.jpg

botw-woods03bguov.jpg

botw-lanayru03p8u4z.jpg

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

Speaking of bones, I got chills when I found the skeleton of Dodongo near Death Mountain. Such a cool detail.

ubiblu

These photos make be both sad and hopeful: sad that i'll never be able to experience the sheer joy and wonder of my first exploration of the game world, but hopeful that it will be filled with even more great things to discover of the course of the DLCs. The world still feels like it could do with more unique locations and challenges.

Caelus

Sweet Jesus.

I wish I could go back in time and post these screenshots to Zelda threads, this is the world of Hyrule that dreams are made of.

This game just needed more interior environments a la Hyrule Castle to spice up the variety, they've nailed the art style.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'm pretty sure one piece of the suit is obtained at an Outpost in the Faron region after completing a very short quest there.

Wow, where is this location? I don't remember this. Perhaps your framing has made it seem new.

The first time I encountered this wall/gate, I really felt so much wonder. It portrays an amazing sense of history that displays the scars of the past, an aspect of the game that was always a highlight when I encountered it.

These pictures all look gorgeous. This is another of yours that I love:

In general, I couldn't love Hateno more, and your photo reminds me why.

I do have a question: why do the hearts in the UI look blurry? That seems odd to me.

Sweet Jesus.

I wish I could go back in time and post these screenshots to Zelda threads, this is the world of Hyrule that dreams are made of.

This game just needed more interior environments a la Hyrule Castle to spice up the variety, they've nailed the art style.

Agreed. The only thing I was really left wanting more of in BotW was interior environments. Hyrule Castle was amazing, which cemented that I wanted more. If there had perhaps been three traditional dungeons (one dedicated to each Goddess like temples?) alongside the Divine Beasts that showed Hyrulean architecture, I would have been extremely happy. (Note: It wouldn't have to be dungeons; that's just the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "large interiors" and "Zelda.")

Neiteio

Wow, where is this location? I don't remember this. Perhaps your framing has made it seem new.
High above Hateno Beach. Upon leaving your house in Hateno Village, turn around and climb the mountains. :)

kirbyfan407 said:
The first time I encountered this wall/gate, I really felt so much wonder. It portrays an amazing sense of history that displays the scars of the past, an aspect of the game that was always a highlight when I encountered it.
I know exactly what you mean! Many places in the game filled me with a sense of history and a sense of wonder. Especially the ancient labyrinths, and of the labyrinths, the one in Akkala in particular. The way it rises straight up from the sea, looming over the ocean, cold and desolate above the waves... I sailed to it on a dark and stormy night, from the cliffs high above, which made it even more memorable!

kirbyfan407 said:
These pictures all look gorgeous. This is another of yours that I love.

I do have a question: why do the hearts in the UI look blurry? That seems odd to me.
Thanks for the kind words! As for the HUD, those are pixelated hearts, by design. Gives them a retro videogame look, I guess? But they're always like that.

And I'm glad you like that shot. I patiently waited for the shadows from the mountain ridge behind me to fall over the foreground before I snapped the pic! :-O

MrMephistoX

Agreed the portrayal of the Gerudo gave Gannondorf's comments about coveting the wind in Windwaker make total sense. He's the only male and completely isolated wanting a better life for his people at the outset only to become completely corrupted by the triforce of power.

Neiteio

Agreed the portrayal of the Gerudo gave Gannondorf's comments about coveting the wind in Windwaker make total sense. He's the only male and completely isolated wanting a better life for his people at the outset only to become completely corrupted by the triforce of power.
In retrospect, Ganondorf's attitude of "take what will make our lives better," as seen in TWW, might've been why the Gerudo, under his rule in OoT, were a gang of thieves.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the kind words! As for the HUD, those are pixelated hearts, by design. Gives them a retro videogame look, I guess? But they're always like that.

Are you telling me that they were like that in my game, but I didn't notice or forgot? I feel dumb. Haha.

Thanks for the effort you put into these pictures!

Neiteio

Are you telling me that they were like that in my game, but I didn't notice or forgot? I feel dumb. Haha.

Thanks for the effort you put into these pictures!
Not saying you're dumb (if anyone's dumb here, I routinely prove that person to me, lol). But yeah, they're like that in your game too.

Next time you play, stand up and walk close to the TV to see! :)

Neiteio

Here are some screens I took during my recent playtime with BotW, starting with a return to where it all began: The Great Plateau.

It's amazing how nostalgic I already feel for this area. It's one of the best "training grounds" in any game I've played.

2017052604550300-f1c133sxc.jpg

2017052604553500-f1c1ngsph.jpg

2017052604565600-f1c1d9stv.jpg

2017052604581400-f1c19ks35.jpg

2017052605013800-f1c1pzsw6.jpg

2017052605015000-f1c1eismt.jpg

2017052605035400-f1c1cqssd.jpg

2017052605054400-f1c19fstv.jpg

Continuing off the plateau, up Dueling Peaks and around Lake Hylia and through Faron Woods, before returning to Central Hyrule and exploring the Lanayru Wetlands:

2017060423240200-f1c14xj9s.jpg

2017060423261200-f1c1rns45.jpg

2017060423275300-f1c1ldswx.jpg

2017060423284700-f1c1g8s1d.jpg

2017060423294400-f1c1t2skw.jpg

2017060423303600-f1c1i0sfh.jpg

2017060423444400-f1c153si4.jpg

2017060423460000-f1c13asr5.jpg

2017060423415200-f1c1gnuv9.jpg

2017060423504500-f1c1f9uxe.jpg

2017060500024000-f1c1ycszy.jpg

2017060500033201-f1c1xpk55.jpg

2017060500163300-f1c1unjll.jpg

2017060500171400-f1c1zvkqz.jpg

2017060500182600-f1c1hvkfx.jpg

2017060500202000-f1c11wj8r.jpg

2017060500221800-f1c1r9k7d.jpg

2017060500225100-f1c1k4kv0.jpg

2017060500244600-f1c18pjb0.jpg

2017060500260200-f1c19bkmr.jpg

2017060500390700-f1c1w3jf8.jpg

2017060500452600-f1c1kgkde.jpg

2017060500471000-f1c1w5j82.jpg

2017060500494000-f1c17tkbv.jpg

2017060500535301-f1c15lkhx.jpg

2017060500564600-f1c1ydk1j.jpg

2017060500574000-f1c19mkup.jpg

2017060501012000-f1c1erkjq.jpg

2017060501052400-f1c1xljlw.jpg

2017060501073200-f1c1vvrlp.jpg

2017060501131200-f1c1c4q9y.jpg

2017060501272500-f1c1vfos1.jpg

2017060501313402-f1c1tmrw0.jpg

2017060501342601-f1c1ufrpr.jpg

2017060501355900-f1c1qhqpm.jpg

2017060501371400-f1c1zlomw.jpg

2017060501572502-f1c17yrgy.jpg

2017060501581600-f1c10cowv.jpg

2017060502145900-f1c1fpowc.jpg

2017060502173300-f1c1irpz6.jpg

2017060502195101-f1c1iqpu6.jpg

2017060502222201-f1c1aup87.jpg

2017060502383600-f1c1npkpx.jpg

2017060502413200-f1c15gjjv.jpg

2017060502441400-f1c181jb6.jpg

2017060502464900-f1c1pfksh.jpg

2017060502471500-f1c1oej7d.jpg

2017060502484600-f1c13xkrh.jpg

2017060502495800-f1c1aekuu.jpg

2017060503013900-f1c1h0jri.jpg

2017060502580300-f1c140j0a.jpg

2017060502595700-f1c158jba.jpg

Neiteio

No more Gerudo talk but my favorite looking region surprisingly was the Death Mountain its underrated
I love every region, and Death Mountain is no exception. I'm smitten with the hot springs — how the blue/green waters contrast with the red rocks. It's especially striking at sunset. Also, I love the way Death Mountain looks as the rising sun peels away the shadows on its eastern side. The mountain practically glows at dawn. It's gorgeous!

I will say it now and in 60 years: The BoTW Lynel is the most terrific enemy in a Videogame EVER.

The first encounter: You spot him from half a mile and you think you are safe. Well, yes and nope!
Suddenly he recognizes you and stares at you motionless with his beastly eyes.

Nothing will happen and he will remain calm as you pose no threat to him ....that is until you pull out your sword or reach for your bow.
THEN he will pull out slowly his weapon and, if you happen to be too close to him, all hell will break lose.

I remember my first time. I was so terrified that I wanted to play safe and started to shoot bomb arrows from a hell of a distant (even up a mountain) at him. thinking that he cannot
do shit.
welp....I was wrong. dead wrong.
dude grabbed his bow and shot 3 arrows at once right up the sky which hit me seconds later and killed me instantly.

funny side note: My friend thought the Lynel was the giant horse the stable guys were searching for and kept trying to mount and sooth the Lynel countless times. lol

TheMoon

can we just officially hire Neiteio as a photojournalist to be sent to any and all game worlds to snap pics and report back with a story? :)

Top Bottom