• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I made a game for women, ages 35-75

Status
Not open for further replies.
ma god the people here taking offense or assuming others take offense by "old ladies.." c'mon. It's like an every day occurrence that someone refers to gaf as "a bunch of old white dudes" which we, for the most part, are.

Old in niche internet circles = 30+. Get over it.

/old man

OP, cool game idea, and I like how you took your audience and didn't try to then repitch the game or shape the game back to your target audience, but instead embraced the demographic playing the game. Probably a good move and I'm interested to see how it turns out for you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yay I'm just a few months shy of being an old lady! :p

But, sorry, I don't like that kind of games to begin with, and even if I did, those colours make my eyes bleed.

Old ladies say what's on our mind without giving a fuck, right? xD

ma god the people here taking offense or assuming others take offense by "old ladies.." c'mon. It's like an every day occurrence that someone refers to gaf as "a bunch of old white dudes" which we, for the most part, are.

Old = 30+. Get over it.

/old man

Huh? I've never heard anyone refer to GAF as "old white dudes". Just "a bunch of white dudes" maybe, never "old". Also no, 30+ isn't old, and when hearing "old ladies" people immediately think of grandmas and senior citizens, not working-age women. People are absolutely right to make fun of the OP for his poor choice of word.

Psyfer

Based entirely on the pictures in the OP, I'm guessing this game will play a lot like Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer? If so, I know a couple of people that might be interested in playing.

Maybe incorporate VR so those poor arthritis-ridden 45 yr old ladies don't have to struggle with all the clicking? (Have you seen the youtube vids of old ladies using VR?? THEY LOVE IT). 55 years old? Why not target a demographic that will be alive to see the sequel? Geeze...

xevis

Banned
When designing this game, OP, did you spend any time actually trying to understand your target demographic? For example, why is the color palette almost exclusively pastels? Why do you focus on a domestic setting? There may well be valid answers to these questions but at first glance this looks like just another game perpetuating sexist gender stereotypes involving women.

gaiages

Banned
When designing this game, OP, did you spend any time actually trying to understand your target demographic? For example, why is the color palette almost exclusively pastels? Why do you focus on a domestic setting? There may well be valid answers to these questions but at first glance this looks like just another game perpetuating sexist gender stereotypes involving women.

The artstyle is probably due to the fact that they made their previous game for children, but it mainly appealed to 25yo+ women. A game for children usually has bright, eye catching colors.

I mean, he said that about the previous game in the OP, it's really not hard to see the train of logic here...

Huh? I've never heard anyone refer to GAF as "old white dudes". Just "a bunch of white dudes" maybe, never "old". Also no, 30+ isn't old, and when hearing "old ladies" people immediately think of grandmas and senior citizens, not working-age women. People are absolutely right to make fun of the OP for his poor choice of word.

It's just stupid that there's a thread about OP making a videogame, which is legitimately interesting and he has some good learning examples about studying demographics and shifting the focus of his game... and something like 90% of the replies are about one poor word choice in one sentence, harping on it and debating about whether people who are 35-55 are old or not. Who the hell cares.

Old ladies is an insult?

If someone called me 'old man' at 35 (even 40) I'd have a good honest laugh. Some of you in here act like you're 17 with no concept of age yet.

40 isn't what it used to be. Pharrell Williams is 43. Salma Hayek is 50, jennifer aniston is 43, j-lo is 47, winona ryder is 47 etc etc etc

It's not just celebs that aren't old at 50. Actually talk to that foxy (or cool young) chick at the supermarket and you'd be surprised to find out she's 40. Anyway yeah, looks like OP isn't all into marketing yet, to say the least. Keep game devving, keep up the hard work, and try to stay in touch, lol

Numb

I'm a 35 year old lady.

kEIJ835.gif

Dude my generation grew up on the internet. I mastered mother fucking Doom before most of you were even a twinkle. I've played MMOS and MUDDS and everything in between. I pissed my big Brothers off with street fighter and later Halo.

Women want games like men want games: we all have different tastes

I thought retirement homes blocked Neogaf.com so the employees can take care of you

Crystalkoen

In demographic terms, 18-35 is your mid-range "prime" audience. 35+ is "old", and <18 is "young". I knew exactly what he was saying when I saw "old lady demographic" as the 35+ crowd. But that's not what this thread's about, even if the first page tries its damnedest to convince otherwise.

As for the game, I will note that I am not female, but am 35+. I couldn't stomach Happy Home Designer for the reasons you noted, so I agree with the addition of moods and fail states. I haven't played the game (not really my cup of tea, honestly), but is there an optional sandbox mode where you can just play with designing, or perhaps design your own house with no regard to an AI's whims? Could even be a nice A-B mode swap, capture both mindsets.

And yeah, the color scheme and art style sets the game apart, but perhaps sends the wrong message when your first impression for selling a game is the screenshots. Stylized art is great for brand and image, but I definitely would pass this over as a kid's game just based on what's there.

Risible

Creates game for "old ladies" (fucking lol), colors it like a Dr. Suess book. Aight.

Also, why is this in OT and not Gaming?

xevis

Banned
The artstyle is probably due to the fact that they made their previous game for children, but it mainly appealed to 25yo+ women. A game for children usually has bright, eye catching colors.

I mean, he said that about the previous game in the OP, it's really not hard to see the train of logic here...

But that's my point: default ways of thinking about women are limiting and awful for women. There's all kinds of diverse games for men, about men and involving stuff typically associated with male interests. Meanwhile games for women fall into very specific categories and feature very specific aesthetics that reinforce societal expectations about the roles of women.

MsKrisp

If someone called me 'old man' at 35 (even 40) I'd have a good honest laugh. Some of you in here act like you're 17 with no concept of age yet.

40 isn't what it used to be. Pharrell Williams is 43. Salma Hayek is 50, jennifer aniston is 43, j-lo is 47, winona ryder is 47 etc etc etc

It's not just celebs that aren't old at 50. Actually talk to that foxy (or cool young) chick at the supermarket and you'd be surprised to find out she's 40. Anyway yeah, looks like OP isn't all into marketing yet, to say the least. Keep game devving, keep up the hard work, and try to stay in touch, lol

Sure, there's no precedent to calling 35-55 year old women old and assuming that this is the type of game for them that carries also problematic, sexist connotations.

Shredderi

Sure, there's no precedent to calling 35-55 year old women old and assuming that this is the type of game for them that carries also problematic, sexist connotations.

It's already been said, it's not a statement about what constitutues as old in general, but in demography terms.

Jobbs

Banned
The game is so forgettable looking it's almost vanishing and becoming invisible in front of my very eyes. I'm not an old lady, though, so maybe I just don't get it

gaiages

Banned
But that's my point: default ways of thinking about women are limiting and awful for women. There's all kinds of diverse games for men, about men and involving stuff typically associated with male interests. Meanwhile games for women fall into very specific categories and feature very specific aesthetics that reinforce societal expectations about the roles of women.

I mean, that's kind of what demographic marketing is, though. It's based on stereotypes. And I mean... a lot of the games really focused tested on the "typical" 20-30 man are largely the same if you look at it... guns, explosions, beefy men doing badass shit and killing everything. There's a reason why there are a glut of first person shooters nowadays.

If you're focus testing a game, you're going to want to try to appeal to the broadest group in that demographic. Will every single man like Gears of War? No. Will there be women that like Gears of War? Yes, of course. But focusing on a demographic relies on the ASSUMPTION that the majority of men 20-30 will like Gears of War. There's, of course, the chance the assumption is wrong, and that happens. And focus testing is inheritantly a problem because it turns diverse people into a blob of stereotypes that are generally untrue for the individual, but it's still a tool that's used and I don't think it's really right for you to say that the OP is perpetuating that he/she is 'enforcing societal norms'. They went "hey, Game X was originally for kids, but women generally liked it, so let's make Game Y like X and see what happens", not "Women like being house wives and decorating their homes, let's make a game they'll surely like".

bengraven

I'm 37. I'm really really not old. Trust me, I work with 50 and 60 year olds and keep being told "you haven't experienced shit yet".

MsKrisp

It's already been said, it's not a statement about what constitutues as old in general, but in demography terms.

I understand that he is targeting a demographic that will play his game.

He doesn't need to be insulting when asking for feedback :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The thread title + the fact this is in OT is just too funny lol.

Regardless, good luck with the game, OP.

Shredderi

I understand that he is targeting a demographic that will play his game.

He doesn't need to be insulting when asking for feedback :p

You're missing the point. He's not insulting anyone. When talking about demographies, which he is, over 35yo is considered old BECAUSE you typically target a lot younger people than that so in comparison it is considered old in demographic terms. Not old in general. 15yo would be considered old in demographic terms as well if for some reason you typically targeted 3-5yo.

MsKrisp

You're missing the point. He's not insulting anyone. When talking about demographies, which he is, over 35yo is considered old BECAUSE you typically target a lot younger people than that so in comparison it is considered old in demographic terms. Not old in general. 15yo would be considered old in demographic terms as well if for some reason you typically targeted 3-5yo.

Sigh, I get the point, as I already stated. I know how gaming marketing works. But the title is "I made a game for old ladies." I know his intent was not likely to insult; I'm sure it was meant as a joke. It's still insulting.

daveo42

Banned
Man, sucks to know I'm going to be an old dude here by the end of the year. Wish I would have put more into my retirement fund if I knew I'd have to retire by 35.

akira28

lol, first I was like...why is this on OT? now I understand why it's perfectly fitting for OT and not gaming side. lol
At least there will be a game to distract you from your declining years.

sounds like its for all those mature ladies though

nothins going to touch you in these golden years.

Shredderi

Sigh, I get the point, as I already stated. I know how gaming marketing works. But the title is "I made a game for old ladies." I know his intent was not likely to insult; I'm sure it was meant as a joke. It's still insulting.

Sure, poorly worded title if his intention was not to draw attention to that particular aspect, and I imagine his intention was to draw attention to the actual game so yeah, could have done better on that.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Thanks for the feedback :).

As for the colours, we did not choose them just because we were targeting women with experience. Preference for a specific colour actually changes with age. The more experienced a group of people are the more diverse their favourite colours become. So a broad palette of colours might actually be more fitting for our target audience.

sI7bk14.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if some game designers are stuck in the "video games are made for kids" or "it's easier to make a game and market it towards children" mentality.

No offense to you. Making a video game would be a dream of mine and it's impressive you did such an amazing job.

I feel however that some designers don't want to be the person to say, "this game is for everyone" because a large majority of adults buy their kids a game versus buying or playing a game for themselves.

It's like looking at the future. Will kids playing your game actually help you out? If your game has guns (it doesn't) then you need some teen boys and girls who want to compete?

It's strange. I've played games since I was in kindergarten. I even got to go to the arcade alone by myself. I played games without feeling ageism or feeling old.

Now a days there are kids and teens playing tablets and phones. They aren't following a brand. I feel isolated from esports because I am interested in enjoying myself rather than being competitive at them.

What's strange is how much ageism is in games sometimes. I'm fine with the new generation of people who play because that would be weird if I didn't. I just think that if you want to make a game, make it ageless unless it's directed towards that audience like toys with digital games on their screens.

We have the ESRB to sort through it all. Why worry about your age while you're playing a game? I know I don't. I had my dad buy M rated games when I was a kid and I had MA games before that.

Maybe I just grew up during the right time and never had to justify it. Now a days it feels like I could get scrutinized for playing as a 31 year old male, but I don't care. If half the men or even the majority of males and females in my neighborhood don't game. Then that's fine, but I still wouldn't like to be scrutinized or blamed for being an adult gamer who still cares about buying and playing a video game.

I know the op means something different./.. I just had my own thoughts and he's a developer

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I wonder if some game designers are stuck in the "video games are made for kids" or "it's easier to make a game and market it towards children" mentality.

No offense to you. Making a video game would be a dream of mine and it's impressive you did such an amazing job.

I feel however that some designers don't want to be the person to say, "this game is for everyone" because a large majority of adults buy their kids a game versus buying or playing a game for themselves.

It's like looking at the future. Will kids playing your game actually help you out? If your game has guns (it doesn't) then you need some teen boys and girls who want to compete?

It's strange. I've played games since I was in kindergarten. I even got to go to the arcade alone by myself. I played games without feeling ageism or feeling old.

Now a days there are kids and teens playing tablets and phones. They aren't following a brand. I feel isolated from esports because I am interested in enjoying myself rather than being competitive at them.

What's strange is how much ageism is in games sometimes. I'm fine with the new generation of people who play because that would be weird if I didn't. I just think that if you want to make a game, make it ageless unless it's directed towards that audience like toys with digital games on their screens.

We have the ESRB to sort through it all. Why worry about your age while you're playing a game? I know I don't. I had my dad buy M rated games when I was a kid and I had MA games before that.

Maybe I just grew up during the right time and never had to justify it. Now a days it feels like I could get scrutinized for playing as a 31 year old male, but I don't care. If half the men or even the majority of males and females in my neighborhood don't game. Then that's fine, but I still wouldn't like to be scrutinized or blamed for being an adult gamer who still cares about buying and playing a video game.

I know the op means something different./.. I just had my own thoughts and he's a developer
Good points.

However making a very broadly appealing game (not just appealing screenshots, but the actual game) is very hard to market. The broader your market the less precise your marketing become and the less "quality users" you will get.

We used analytics to figure out who played our games the most. Targeting (only) those people would mean the average time played will go up. It's data driven, nothing to do with ageism or sexism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom