• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

If only every game was money shots all the time, yeah... in reality they aren't. A lot of the stuff is highly inconsistent inconsistent. If it was always gfx like these cherry picked shoots - I you be ecstatic. Its just not the case.
Check the screenshot thread. No bullshits there.

Games look damn good these days, and it's only going to get better.

SeraphJan

Sure, you're not getting the full resolution it's capable of outputting with a 1080p screen, but most games don't provide a true (native) 4k experience with XSX and PS5 either. Generally they're using a smaller resolution (1440p - 1800p), or they're using upscaling. I agree that for the best quality you should have a 4k screen, but the hyperbole is saying that you're "missing out" by not playing on a 4k screen, and then using the analogy of getting laser eye surgery and putting on dirty graphics that hurt your eyes. That's not remotely true. I'm with @Deerock71 on this one.
Sony being Sony, I guess its too much to ask for 1440p output support, when games do render at internal 1440p for performance mode and upscale/reconstruct to 4K, why not just give a 1440p output option too. They should up their game if they wish to cater to more audience, having more option is never bad, I mean the hardware is fully capable of doing 120 fps at 1440p for most of the games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Check the screenshot thread. No bullshits there.

Games look damn good these days, and it's only going to get better.

They do look great and they are looking better and better, however its not surprising anymore and we aren’t getting *massive* leaps like we did from 8 to 16 or PS1 to PS2 to PS3.

this game looks better than any game released especialy after min 2 when the dude starts dancing just look at how many details are in that room and the view outside the window
and this is just 1 game , imagine how a current gen exclusive game will look like from naughty dog , the coalition , rockstar , insomniac , playground games
a ps5/xsx/pc witcher game will melt eyes

Without RT global illumination, the consoles are going to feel a gen behind PC. I'm convinced of it. Horizon 2 looks stunning but imagine if it had fully ray traced GI, it wouldn't have this overly bright glow look to it. Don't get me wrong Horizon 2 does some things better than I've seen in the top dog PC graphical showpieces. The texture detail and foliage density in an open world is the best I've seen, but lighting is the most important aspect of unlocking that 'next level.

You can take a game with simple graphics and RT can transform it into something that looks amazing and accurate. It brings out the materials of objects. Annoying Alex from Digital Foundry was right, lol.

I kinda think MS and Sony fucked up not having an option for a more expensive ps5/x with better RT capabilities and bandwith.

I’m interested in how old you are OP? was the PS4 your console after your late teens etc so you were playing Ps3/360 in your teens then the PS4 came along and wowed you?

i only ask this as an old cynical PC gamer that hasn’t as Much weight in actual graphics for years. I just want games that look decent and run well but more than anything play amazingly.

the bumping of this thread totally threw me.
I’m 39

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hold On Wait GIF by filmeditor
Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
They're talking about the story recap with footage from the original game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Without RT global illumination, the consoles are going to feel a gen behind PC. I'm convinced of it. Horizon 2 looks stunning but imagine if it had fully ray traced GI, it wouldn't have this overly bright glow look to it. Don't get me wrong Horizon 2 does some things better than I've seen in the top dog PC graphical showpieces. The texture detail and foliage density in an open world is the best I've seen, but lighting is the most important aspect of unlocking that 'next level.

You can take a game with simple graphics and RT can transform it into something that looks amazing and accurate. It brings out the materials of objects. Annoying Alex from Digital Foundry was right, lol.

I kinda think MS and Sony fucked up not having an option for a more expensive ps5/x with better RT capabilities and bandwith.
That is my main complaint about the game and it's too jarring to ignore. Halo Infinite's enviornment lighting looks better (which I'm currently playing).

Hoddi

Well, the good thing is: the games will look better in perf mode than in a 4K screen.
I'm still holding onto my old plasma TV for this exact reason. Games that actually manage to render at 4k obviously look much better on my 4k LCD but those that only manage 1080p-1440p typically look far better on the plasma.

HFW is a great example of this. The 4k30 mode looks fantastic on my LCD but the performance mode simply looks godawful. The plasma handles it significantly better and it looks bloody gorgeous on that.

engstra

You are missing out massively if you aren't playing your ps5 on a 4k screen.

It's like getting laser eye surgery then putting on a dirty pair of glasses that hurt your eyes.

The system was built for pin sharp 4k screens.
Of course the visuals are going to be enhanced by 4k. I will hopefully get one in the next year or so (with my current living situation there's no room for a new screen).

However I've still been very impressed in the step-up in visuals of games. They still look pretty damn good on a 1080p screen

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
The only place you can still see significant graphical improvement are in VR. Every new headset release has been really exciting.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Diminishing returns are a thing, the leap aint going to be as big, However once this gen gets into full swing there will still be some nice gains just not as transformative.

Hunnybun

I'm still not sure we're at the point of diminishing returns yet. The jury is still out on what this gen will ultimately deliver, but if next gen we get fully or almost fully ray traced games, that alone will be a gigantic leap.

I just hope to God they don't start messing about with 8k resolutions, though.

Xtib81

Agreed so far this gen has been disappointing. Though I gotta say that CP2077 is quite impressive, particularly at night.

I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.
Agreed. Although people here will come back with frame rate blah blah blah... Sorry but 60fps is good enough. Unless you are doing some competitive game, 60fps is fine for single player. ( i would counter its fine for multiplayer too, I don't notice a difference and I have a 144hz monitor and gpu fast enough to power it).

This is really the first gen where there isn't a return on visuals.
Remember ps1 to ps2 with things like mgs2 , gta3, massive change.

Ps3 / 360 era - killzone 2, gears, COD2, bf bad company, oblivion, Resistance, uncharted, demon souls, lbp, mgs4, gta4, etc.. Amazing visuals compared to prior gens.
PS4 /xbone as well. Second son had graphics and lighting not seen before. Shadowfall etc..

Now you are right its all look 4k... For me as someone without a 4k screen, whats the point.
Why get rid of a not too old 1080p screen that works fine. It cost $700 new and is large screen. When we went from sd to hd getting a 720p and then a 1080p screen made sense.
The older tvs were big crts. Some were a decade+ old and they looked much worse. You could tell. I really don't see the cost benefit of going 4k. Unless my tv dies (even then i have a spare i inherited from my pops).

That being said. the resolution shouldn't matter. The game will still play in 720p or less. On PC games are played on what the person has.
Graphics can be toggled.

There are diminishing returns, to visuals. I think this gen will be mostly catch up with sound, and larger levels. Things that were pushed back in previous gens.

I remember I bothered the heck outta of parents at the time for getting me a N64 so I could play Mario 64. But they got me a Playstation instead because they claim it cheaper, so I'll have to trade my console with a friend in order to play it.
Did you keep the n64 or trade back? The ps1 had 100s of mega hit games and obscure titles that the n64 couldn't dream of. it maybe had a handful of good games. PS1 was amazing for its time. But that is for another discussion.

RAIDEN1

Imagine that moment.....from playing Super Mario All Stars on the SNES, to then seeing something like Crash 'N' Burn on the 3DO along with Road Rash....that was some leap....

The Matrix tech demo was truly the most impressive thing I’ve seen this generation so far without question. I don’t see anything touching that anytime soon especially with the era of cross generation games and even multiplatform games.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
As a huge fucking graphics whore, I can say that the new Horizon is fucking immaculate. The only thing more impressive ive seen is the UE5 Matrix Tech Demo.

The game looks incredible. And its only going up from here.

Other developers need to step it up - Sony 1st Party is out here lapping everyone else.

Last edited:

Vaelka

I have to say Elden Ring did blow me away, the first part or two of the world are alright ( lots of repeated assets in the first especially tho ).
But as soon as you take the next step in the story so to speak ( after the first two '' real '' bosses ) and you reach the next big area it truly opens up and then it gets better and better.
I haven't been so blown away by a games visuals in a VERY long time.

It's not the most amazing thing ever on a graphical fidelity level but the art direction makes up for it a billion times and I say that as someone who generally doesn't like open world games.
Meanwhile I'll look at something like Horizon and just be like '' ok.. ''.
The world design doesn't rly appeal to me either in that game tho.
Point being, graphics are kinda whatever imo.

Last edited:
Matrix demo is the only next gen thing we’ve seen. Even HFW is rough in areas showing that it’s a last gen engine at heart
Horizon 2 has definitely delivered the next gen graphics I was hoping for. The only fault I see is that without RT it's lighting can seem behind some other games. It's not that the lighting is bad but it isn't very natural. The way light and shadow interacts makes the game like too bright all the time.

Horizon is proof though that artstyle and graphics are intertwined
I'm still holding onto my old plasma TV for this exact reason. Games that actually manage to render at 4k obviously look much better on my 4k LCD but those that only manage 1080p-1440p typically look far better on the plasma.

HFW is a great example of this. The 4k30 mode looks fantastic on my LCD but the performance mode simply looks godawful. The plasma handles it significantly better and it looks bloody gorgeous on that.
I wonder if the fidelity mode looks better on the plasma too because 1440p isn't bad at all then you have the benefits of a smoother image compared to a 4k oled.

The real "ps5 pro" is having a 4k/hdr Oled tv and a 1440p plasma lol

Hunnybun

Horizon 2 has definitely delivered the next gen graphics I was hoping for. The only fault I see is that without RT it's lighting can seem behind some other games. It's not that the lighting is bad but it isn't very natural. The way light and shadow interacts makes the game like too bright all the time.

Tbf though, how many games actually do have RT "lighting" in a meaningful sense? It's just Metro Exodus on consoles. All the other RT is just minor embellishments like shadows and reflections.

I doubt proper RT lighting will ever be a hallmark of this gen tbh.

Honestly the Street Fighter 6 teaser blew me away with all the muscle simulaton and all.
That game is going to look amazing on next gen systems. They already have great artists and this time, hopefully sf6
Tbf though, how many games actually do have RT "lighting" in a meaningful sense? It's just Metro Exodus on consoles. All the other RT is just minor embellishments like shadows and reflections.

I doubt proper RT lighting will ever be a hallmark of this gen tbh.
For sure. I was just thinking in reference to what's possible with games on PC and what I would consider truly next gen.

sol_bad

IMO there is a lot of crazy talk in here. I personally felt there was even a big jump in graphical quality between PS4 Spidey and PS5 Miles Spidey. And that's just the tip of the ice berg.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
SILENCE! You will get your next Gen games when the hardware is almost outdated.

I don't get why there are no system seller games at launch anymore. At least a handful could have been developed long before the console launch, it's PC hardware.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

If you can play HFW and aren't impressed, then I feel sorry for you. Your standards are so high, that nothing can touch the image in your mind and you will be forever disappointed.

OP, just spend about 10k on a PC and install all the reshader mods for GTA your ram can handle, and make your own next gen. Don't let consoles or devs hold you up.

If you can play HFW and aren't impressed, then I feel sorry for you. Your standards are so high, that nothing can touch the image in your mind and you will be forever disappointed.

OP, just spend about 10k on a PC and install all the reshader mods for GTA your ram can handle, and make your own next gen. Don't let consoles or devs hold you up.
Horizon impresses me, but there are lots of areas that are just... meh. A lot of the wood-work looks fake and the lighting can be really lacking in some areas where objects look like they're glowing and aren't shaded properly like there's no ambient occlusion happening.

Out in the wilderness where the sun is shining through trees and stuff, it looks amazing. It's just not amazing EVERYWHERE.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

The only impressive thing in Horizon 2 are the character models. The environment itself has way to much distance fog in my opinion. I‘m pretty disappointed to be honest. Tried playing around with the HDR settings but no matter what I do the environment colors look really washed out. And like I said, the distance fog is crazy.

I don‘t know if I‘m weird but aside from the Matrix demo the games that impressed me most on NextGen are last game games like FFVII Remake and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Demons Souls and Rachet & Clank didn‘t do anything for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was actually blown away when I first reached siofra well in Elden Ring, that area was gorgeous!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I mean, look at this:

44-A2-C6-BB-2-C21-42-AA-88-E2-315-B266-AD4-A3.jpg

Distance fog evrywhere… and the HDR is bloody horrible. I almost doesn’t pop. Even when I lower the brightness to 0 I do not get true blacks… What a joke… Zero Dawn had so much more impressive HDR.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

After playing TLOU2, my expectations for for level design and A.I. interactivity is sky high. People say the combat is bad, but now I have trouble ignoring games where the A.I. don't seem real or have that level of cinematic flair to the combat. Zelda BotW also showed me how much physics enhances a game. So far, I have seen little progress in actual game design for next gen. I do think HFW looks great visually and I'm glad they improved the animations. I'm most excited for PSVR2 though. That will blow my mind.

iHaunter

They do look great and they are looking better and better, however its not surprising anymore and we aren’t getting *massive* leaps like we did from 8 to 16 or PS1 to PS2 to PS3.
I think it's due to entitlement, to some degree, combined with diminishing returns.

Distance fog evrywhere… and the HDR is bloody horrible. I almost doesn’t pop. Even when I lower the brightness to 0 I do not get true blacks… What a joke… Zero Dawn had so much more impressive HDR.

Is this on the PS4?

Last edited:

T0minator

I mean, look at this:

Travel to the west. It's more clear than the desert
zXckREs.jpg
lQCSuWC.jpg
CWlqtSJ.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West is absolutely jaw dropping the further n further you go. Than any other game I've ever played

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
As technology increases and graphics become closer and closer to photorealism, we will be less and less amazed by advancements.

Top Bottom