• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

caliblue15 said:
CM 212 Hyper +

I find it much easier to screw and hold down the heatsink in place on a flat plane.

Probably easier to take it out and do it on flat surface and have no obstruction from case top etc.

CrankyJay said:
Not sure, but isn't the M Pro a mini-ATX mobo? Do you have a case that will accomodate this?
"beats me" to the first question. a so called expert is putting this thing together and not me so i assume the case will be what it should.

otherwise this a good build for upcoming games like BF3, Skyrim etc?

Kyaw

astroturfing said:
"beats me" to the first question. a so called expert is putting this thing together and not me so i assume the case will be what it should.

otherwise this a good build for upcoming games like BF3, Skyrim etc?

It should run BF3 and Skyrim with good frames and good visuals. You can always upgrade the GPU if it doesnt cut it but the 560Ti is a pretty good performance to budget card.

Could go with 6950 and flash it to 6970 for maximum performance for it's price range though.

LegoDad

Kyaw said:
I find it much easier to screw and hold down the heatsink in place on a flat plane.

Probably easier to take it out and do it on flat surface and have no obstruction from case top etc.

Just didn't want to take it out. guess I can rewire while I'm in there, and finally take a pic for everyone, lol.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
My case has a cutout for access to the back of the mobo, and I managed to install the 212+ fairly easily without removing the motherboard. I have tiny hands though...

Danneee

Just bought myself a Corsair F60 SSD and was planning to use it as my OS drive. Little did I know that no SATA cables were supplied and I didn´t have any to spare. Now I have to wait til tomorrow so I can buy one.
Lesson learned.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just bought a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2. I was going to hold out for a 120GB Vertex 3, however my useless HDD just crashed again. This time it wouldn't boot into Windows, and Windows Repair said it couldn't find an existing installation.

So, yeah, I'm over it. :p

It's 2AM here (Twin Peaks is keeping me up!), so hopefully the order is actioned and dispatched later in the morning, in which case I'll likely get the drive by Friday afternoon.

Killer

Banned
black_vegeta said:
You have to tell us what it's going to be used for...gaming, video editing, overclocking, basic interwebz surfing, etc?

mostly gaming. Here are the specs:

HDD:Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
Processor:Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB.

Any suggestion?

knitoe

Q8D3vil said:
my friend bought 2x2 ddr3 rams for his i7 x58 system, will it work or does he need to have 3 sticks of rams ?
It will work, but memory will be running in dual channel mode. It's better if your friend should get another stick to run in tri mode.

sk3tch

Killer said:
mostly gaming. Here are the specs:

HDD:Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
Processor:Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB.

Any suggestion?

What do you want to spend? Most everyone has been buying the ASUS boards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705. Real solid stuff.

Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock...tons of options. Unless you are going to be extreme overclocking I would not spend more than $200.

Jzero

So i'm thinking of building a low end gaming system and want to spend the least possible but without taking away quality. What do you guys think of this setup? i already have a Graphics card and hard drive. Give me suggestions.

Case

Motherboard

Ram

CPU

DVD

PSU

LCD

InertiaXr

Jzero15 said:
So i'm thinking of building a low end gaming system and want to spend the least possible but without taking away quality. What do you guys think of this setup? i already have a Graphics card and hard drive. Give me suggestions.

What video card and hard drive do you have? 600W PSU is way overkill depending on your gpu you could use a 400W probably if you wanted. I would not recommend Intel or a dual core at this budget. Look to go AMD processor. Also spend the extra $20 and get 4GB RAM.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
JaseC said:
Just bought a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2. I was going to hold out for a 120GB Vertex 3, however my useless HDD just crashed again. This time it wouldn't boot into Windows, and Windows Repair said it couldn't find an existing installation.
I'm still waiting for my Vertex 3, but this is getting a little infuriating. Just a couple of hours ago my shop told me that shipments won't arrive until next week.

It's been like that for the last month.

Shambles

BloodySinner said:
Ditch the Intel CPU and motherboard. Get yourself an AMD Quad Core. The Phenom 955 is dirt cheap.

The 2100 outperforms the Phenoms X4's. With a 2 dimm slot motherboard I'd rather get a single 2GB of memory to leave the other slot open for another 2GB down the road. You will only get single channel memory speeds for the time being but in my opinion it's worth it to be able to upgrade down the road, and to be able to use that memory in another machine. 1GB sticks are going to be pretty useless down the road when you're upgrading your machine and looking to put the memory in something else as everything else will be using 2-4GB sticks. The case is overpriced, you're paying 10$ for the blue light, either go with the stock Antec 300 or Haf 912 at the 60$ price point. You can get something more appropriate for the PSU when we know what GPU you're running.

ithorien

DEO3 said:
This thread makes me want to spend so much money..

Yeeeep. Case and point-

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $230

or

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $255

$250 is the most I can look at in this budget, but I know absolutely jack about SSD. I can read charts, but completely lack life experience. (O hay I didn't notice the Crucial is SATA3, which I'm assuming is the victor?).

G-Pink

Funky Papa said:
I'm still waiting for my Vertex 3, but this is getting a little infuriating. Just a couple of hours ago my shop told me that shipments won't arrive until next week.

It's been like that for the last month.

Good news then. RyderOCZ posted yesterday on the official OCZ forums that:

"Drives started shipping to retailers "last night". This translates into Tuesday for Taiwan where the factory is. It is currently ~4am Wednesday in Taiwan so shipments will resume "today" as well.

Again, this is OCZ to retailers, not when you will see them on a retailer/etailer site as in stock."

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...3-availability&p=618935&viewfull=1#post618935

So, between a couple days and a week for most retailers to list them "In Stock" I would suspect.

EDIT: It looks like Newegg has them, and are taking orders every so often. So if you really want one, start refreshing that page! (Only the 120s right now)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Newegg has a $25 off $100 deal that expires tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to buy an Asus mobo earlier than anticipated...

Code: newgeek25 for new users only. Existing users must create a new account

I got a question about CPU temp, I ran Prime95 stresstest Maximum heat and power for about 5-6 minutes and the CPU reached 73c before I stopped it. During the test it stayed at 66-71c with 100% load, is that good? On idle it runs at around 35-38c, I'm using Core Temp to check.

I want to get a better understanding this SSD phenom, I've been considering purchasing one for my PC. Is it easy to transfer your current Win7 install or would I have to do a clean install?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OG_Original Gamer said:
I want to get a better understanding this SSD phenom, I've been considering purchasing one for my PC. Is it easy to transfer your current Win7 install or would I have to do a clean install?

I always use new hard drives as a time for spring cleaning to start new. I don't think there would be a problem transferring though.

TheExodu5

Banned
G-Pink said:
Good news then. RyderOCZ posted yesterday on the official OCZ forums that:

"Drives started shipping to retailers "last night". This translates into Tuesday for Taiwan where the factory is. It is currently ~4am Wednesday in Taiwan so shipments will resume "today" as well.

Again, this is OCZ to retailers, not when you will see them on a retailer/etailer site as in stock."

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...3-availability&p=618935&viewfull=1#post618935

So, between a couple days and a week for most retailers to list them "In Stock" I would suspect.

EDIT: It looks like Newegg has them, and are taking orders every so often. So if you really want one, start refreshing that page! (Only the 120s right now)
Still waiting on the 240.

CrankyJay

Banned
G-Pink said:
From what I hear from the OCZ forums, they are listing them as "In Stock" for short periods of time, letting a small number of orders in, then reverting back to the "Out of Stock" message. Same thing they did with the B3 revision motherboards. I think it's mostly so they don't get swamped with too many orders to process at one time.

$300 for 120 is disappointing for me. I hope then that this pushes the Vertex 2 prices down.

OG_Original Gamer said:
Would there be any issues if I were to try an run them under RAID 1 SSD/HDD?

You mean you want to run a SSD and a HDD in RAID1 mode (i.e. not 1x SSD, 2xHDD in Raid 1). If so this doesn't make any sense and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

mkenyon

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
Would there be any issues if I were to try an run them under RAID 1 SSD/HDD?
I'm not sure if it would work, but if it did that means you'd have the capacity of the SSD and the speed of the HDD. Basically, the worst parts of either drive.

Frankfurter said:
You mean you want to run a SSD and a HDD in RAID1 mode (i.e. not 1x SSD, 2xHDD in Raid 1). If so this doesn't make any sense and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

So there would be a RAID 1 and 2?

What I read on wiki suggested that each number ran differently or configured differently and would just be creating an RAID Array.

ONTF Edit: They'll be configured as one, which wouldn't be possible with two different storage mediums.

TheExodu5

Banned
CrankyJay said:
$300 for 120 is disappointing for me. I hope then that this pushes the Vertex 2 prices down.

Not surprising, really.

Also, don't expect $209 for the Intel G3 120GB. As reported, that $209 was the 1000 unit price, so that's how much the retailer is paying.

edit: wait...the 120 is $300, yet the 240 is $500. Nice!

edit2: fuck, $575 on NCIX. Do I pre-order now or wait and see if it's lower somewhere else in Canada? Hmmmm...

edit3: Vertex 2 240GB is $419 on NCIX. That's pretty damned cheap!

OG_Original Gamer said:
I did this recently, using Windows Backup's "system image" feature. I went from a really old IDE 160 GB HD to a new 1TB PCI-E and everything went smoothly.

CrankyJay

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Not surprising, really.

Also, don't expect $209 for the Intel G3 120GB. As reported, that $209 was the 1000 unit price, so that's how much the retailer is paying.

edit: wait...the 120 is $300, yet the 240 is $500. Nice!

I should have jumped on the Intel x25-m when it was $170 for the 120GB model last week. I waited to see what the prices of the c400 and Vertex 3 would be.

TheExodu5

Banned
CrankyJay said:
I should have jumped on the Intel x25-m when it was $170 for the 120GB model last week. I waited to see what the prices of the c400 and Vertex 3 would be.

Yeah that was a pretty damned good deal.

I want to go for something bigger and faster this time around. The X-25 is amazing for OS usage, but I wouldn't mind ridiculously high sequential speeds for super fast game loading.

CrankyJay

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yeah that was a pretty damned good deal.

I want to go for something bigger and faster this time around. The X-25 is amazing for OS usage, but I wouldn't mind ridiculously high sequential speeds for super fast game loading.

Yeah. I'm concentrating on OS/programming. Gaming is just a side thing for my needs at this point.

I'm sure there will be more X-25 rebates to clear out stock for the 320's to take over.

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:
I wonder if the Vertex 3 is bottlenecked by RAM in any way.

Would be nice if we had real ram drives but DDR3 is still exponentially faster in access times and throughput over SATA3 SSDs.

TheExodu5

Banned
The only thing that's weird about the Vertex 3 is that it has pretty high access times compared to the rest of the drives. 0.122ms vs 0.03ms for the m4, for example. I guess it must have to do with the real-time compression/decompression. Well, it doesn't really seem to transfer to any real world scenario, and only seems to affect QD=1 benchmarks, so I probably shouldn't worry about it.

mkenyon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I wonder if the Vertex 3 is bottlenecked by RAM in any way.
Too funny! A friend of mine and I were pondering the same thing, then thought about how ridiculous it was that we were even considering that. SSDs are so damned cool.

If there is a bottleneck, it might end up being the motherboard. There were already a lot of chipsets that were bottlenecking Vertex 2's.

An important thing to note is that the Vertex 3 doesnt need TRIM to last a long time. RAID0 Vertex 3's anyone? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom