• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

Kenka said:
OK guys, I need some help to localize what my problem may be.

Recently, my monitor keep crapping on me. I linked it to my computer both with DVI and VGA cables but the problem is the same : at some point, when I play a game or a Youtube video and try to go in fullscreen mode, the screen goes black, sound stops and I get this strange "D-SUB GESTION ALIM" message (sorry, in english it means "power management")

http://i54.tinypic.com/21etelc.jpg
*snip*

Honestly, if I were you I would really chase after that video card as the first potential source. Do you have a friend or can you buy from a store locally that has a good return policy so you can test another card to see if that solves it? Or perhaps you can see if Gainward has a "cross ship" option where they send you a new card for an RMA and then you send in your old one after receipt of the new one?

EDIT: also, don't overclock or do anything that puts add'l stress on the PSU while you're troubleshooting. 550W should be enough but I am not 100% familiar with that particular model of PSU.

It's tough to diagnose over the Internet, of course...but that's what I'd do. I had a buddy with this similar problem a couple times and a new video card solved it each time (there were years in between the issues...he's not a gamer).

Kenka

Vigilant Walrus said:
I just got a new 1080p HDTV(Yay!) but I can't output over 720p over HDMI and I don't know why:(

I don't get it, because the first 470 alone should be able to to wield the monitors native 2560x resolution.

So why can't the second SLI card not even handle 1080p? A signal simply won't come up if I try anything over 1280x ...

I don't think it's the cables because 720 works fine. I tried mixing up the inputs(running HDTV from first 470), and such but no luck. Also tried different HDMI inputs on the TV.. No go.

And I am sure the TV supports 1920x resolution!(This LG - http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-infinia-60pk950/4505-6482_7-33939225.html )

Anyone who can help or have an Idea? the only thing I can think off is that the 1080 signal can't run through a 15-16 meter cable without it's own power supply, which means I would need some sort HDMI power adapter/splitter/thingy. sigh.
I experienced something similar. What did allow me to go 720p + was to open the nVidia configuration board and to up the rez there. I had no option to do so on Windows.

I should warn you : my setup (which also includes an LG monitor) has some shitty problems (see post above).

sk3tch said:
Honestly, if I were you I would really chase after that video card as the first potential source. Do you have a friend or can you buy from a store locally that has a good return policy so you can test another card to see if that solves it? Or perhaps you can see if Gainward has a "cross ship" option where they send you a new card for an RMA and then you send in your old one after receipt of the new one?

EDIT: also, don't overclock or do anything that puts add'l stress on the PSU while you're troubleshooting. 550W should be enough but I am not 100% familiar with that particular model of PSU.

It's tough to diagnose over the Internet, of course...but that's what I'd do. I had a buddy with this similar problem a couple times and a new video card solved it each time (there were years in between the issues...he's not a gamer).
Thanks very much. No sadly, I have no other graphics card right now that draws similar power (aka a GTX 580 for example). It is the reason why I asked if I can get a free utility that would allow me to see what is the total consumption of my build. If the power consumption is lower than 550 W when the whole thing goes black, then I'll be sure that it is my graphics card that is at the heart of the problem. I'll see what I can get from Gainward.

But thanks nonetheless, you provided a useful insight.

Kyaw

You can get those power socket wattage meter to measure how much watts your PC is using but i dont know of any software that allow you to measure how much power your PC is drawing.

Trying taking your graphics card out and see how it goes from there.

OK GAF I have a question/concern. Recently I replaced a dead Phenom X4 620 (I think that's the model) with a Phenom X3 455. I will probably get scoffed at for doing so but it is mainly a temporary thing until I have some more dough to spend on something quicker. Anyway i've tried a few games with the chip at stock, overclocked to around 3.7, and the fourth core unlocked. It seems that with all of these settings over noticed a pretty significant decrease in performance in gaming, mainly fps like crysis, Stalker, and battlefield bc2. I've got a xfx radeon 5770 an 8 of ram,

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions and/or advice for me and remedying this. It is very frustrating to have what seems to be a decent chip but yet I can get the performance of use to with my older chip.

Forgive my ignorance and if this isn't the right thread.

Killer said:

It's all compatible. Is the Asus P8P67 Pro the new B3 revision? If so you are fine, if not make sure that you only use the 4 SATA 6gbit ports (2x Intel, 2x Marvell).

The RAM is overkill imo (as in: too expensive). Not sure about the prices in the US, but I'd guess that 8GB 1333mhz RAM start at ~70 Dollars and 1600mhz RAM at ~80 or ~90 Dollars. No reason to get overpriced RAM like this one imo.

TheExodu5

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
OK GAF I have a question/concern. Recently I replaced a dead Phenom X4 620 (I think that's the model) with a Phenom X3 455. I will probably get scoffed at for doing so but it is mainly a temporary thing until I have some more dough to spend on something quicker. Anyway i've tried a few games with the chip at stock, overclocked to around 3.7, and the fourth core unlocked. It seems that with all of these settings over noticed a pretty significant decrease in performance in gaming, mainly fps like crysis, Stalker, and battlefield bc2. I've got a xfx radeon 5770 an 8 of ram,

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions and/or advice for me and remedying this. It is very frustrating to have what seems to be a decent chip but yet I can get the performance of use to with my older chip.

Forgive my ignorance and if this isn't the right thread.

I'd be really surprised if a 3.7GHz quad-core would be bottlenecking you in a game like Crysis. That 5770 would be the culprit. Are you sure it's running worse than before? Are you sure that your current speeds are stable?

Kenka

Kyaw said:
You can get those power socket wattage meter to measure how much watts your PC is using but i dont know of any software that allow you to measure how much power your PC is drawing.

Trying taking your graphics card out and see how it goes from there.

But since power demand will be lessen, it shouldn't tell me anything about what the problem may be (or maybe that would tell if the problem is the Intel Graphics 2000 on my i3-2100?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheExodu5 said:
I'd be really surprised if a 3.7GHz quad-core would be bottlenecking you in a game like Crysis. That 5770 would be the culprit. Are you sure it's running worse than before? Are you sure that your current speeds are stable?

The 5770 isn't the cause when he's noticed the drop in performance solely because of a CPU change.

Edit: Clarity.

JaseC said:
The 5770 isn't the cause when he's noticed the drop in performance solely because of a CPU change.

Yes I do notice however it could be a simple slip up as higher AA settings, at least for Crysis. But running the game Precursors was no issue before and now there is a very weird stutter. I will have to investigate more and put some time in. I've had no issues thus far with my gpu, maybe I just need to do some tinkering with settings. I would think even running it with only three cores at stock there shouldn't be this noticeable difference.

Kyaw

Kenka said:
But since power demand will be lessen, it shouldn't tell me anything about what the problem may be (or maybe that would tell if the problem is the Intel Graphics 2000 on my i3-2100?)

It could tell you whether its your monitor crapping out or not. Also try running stress test on your CPU without GPU installed to see if the PSU is failing.

TheExodu5

Banned
JaseC said:

I understand your reasoning, but also, there's just no way a 3.7GHz quad-core is bottlenecking a 5770 in a game like Crysis.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes I do notice however it could be a simple slip up as higher AA settings, at least for Crysis. But running the game Precursors was no issue before and now there is a very weird stutter. I will have to investigate more and put some time in. I've had no issues thus far with my gpu, maybe I just need to do some tinkering with settings. I would think even running it with only three cores at stock there shouldn't be this noticeable difference.

Try going back to 3 cores and stock and see what happens. See if your framerate actually goes down. If it doesn't, then this issue may be unrelated to your CPU change. It could be the 4th core is having some sorts of latency issues, actually lowering performance. I don't know if that's possible...the 4th core would still need to be giving your PC correct data for it not to blue screen.

Kenka

Kyaw said:
It could tell you whether its your monitor crapping out or not. Also try running stress test on your CPU without GPU installed to see if the PSU is failing.

Excellent recommandation. Sorry to be an angry bitch, but it pays off. Thanks.

Also, I excluded the monitor from the problem. 1080p Youtube videos ran fine when I hooked it on my laptop. Both the monitor and VGA/DVI cables are out of the equation.

EDIT : my bad ! If I remove the graphics card, there is no VGA/DVI port available anymore ! I can't hook any monitor with my graphics card out :( I can't even disable it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I've seen the P8P67 spec chart, but is there anything negative about the Asus P8P67 standard edition that I should know about? For example, I was considering the LE version but some people say that it's not great for overclocking. I'm never going to do SLI and I only intend on doing modest overclocking, meaning that I'm not going to spend hours tweaking to squeeze out every bit of power I can and will probably go around 4.0-4.1 Ghz. Is the standard P8P67 ok for that?

I don't know if eSATA will be important either. I'm guessing not, though I'm not really sure what uses that

Kyaw

Kenka said:
Excellent recommandation. Sorry to be an angry bitch, but it pays off. Thanks.

Also, I excluded the monitor from the problem. 1080p Youtube videos ran fine when I hooked it on my laptop. Both the monitor and VGA/DVI cables are out of the equation.

That narrows it down to PSU and GPU then. Have you connected the power cables to GPU properly? :p

Yeah, try doing what i said on the previous post. Get one of those power socket wattage meters first though.

verbum

LiquidMetal14 said:
70 for 1333 and 75 for 1600. If your PC/CPU plays nice with it, the 1600 DDR3 memory is a great price. I bought the 8GB 1333 RAM when I built my PC and it's worked outstanding.

The Kingston HyperX 1600 is $30 after rebate for 4 GB. Nice deal.

(Make sure you don't confuse the GSkill desktop and laptop 1333 like I did when I first looked. )

Kenka

Kyaw said:
That narrows it down to PSU and GPU then. Have you connected the power cables to GPU properly? :p

Yeah, try doing what i said on the previous post. Get one of those power socket wattage meters first though.

Yeah, I will do it. But I can't believe I was stupid enough to answer your post first and then look in the back of my PC. My mobo has no DVI/VGA port whatsoever ! (see my edit). I feel stupid, but, hey, I'll get one of those measurement units, my only other option is to to install a new graphics card and see if everything craps again.

edit : if I remove the drivers of the craphics card, it won't be recognized by the system anymore right (just as it was the first time I installed the OS) ? Thus, I'll just remove all nVidia stuff related to it and fire Youtube HD.

Cheech

Built a rig with a Seasonic power supply last night for the first time.

Yeah, they definitely make the higher end Corsair supplies. It's the same case, weird netting around the cables, etc...except, it was a good $20-$30 cheaper off newegg than the Corsair branded supplies. I bought the 520w, and it is doing a bang up job with a i5-3100, Asrock board, and Sapphire 6870.

Well worth the extra expense from the cheaper supplies. It will last the guy I built the rig for years.

Kyaw

uh... which motherboard do you have? So you have no onboard graphics??

hm, you could try disabling/uninstalling GPU drivers.

Or you could always buy a new PSU and see if it solves the issue.

Kenka

Kyaw said:

I have an ASUS P8P67 LE. I am horrified to realize that there is no display output on it :x

Yeah, I'll uninstall tose drivers, fire the CPU stress test and see if God has mercy. But yeah, I am pretty much dommed to cable management again. Thanks.

sk3tch

Kyaw said:

Sandy Bridge onboard GPU isn't enabled on the P67 mobos.

verbum

Kenka said:
Yeah, I will do it. But I can't believe I was stupid enough to answer your post first and then look in the back of my PC. My mobo has no DVI/VGA port whatsoever ! (see my edit). I feel stupid, but, hey, I'll get one of those measurement units, my only other option is to to install a new graphics card and see if everything craps again.

Is there a power management menu item on the monitor itself?
Also, in power saving choices (when you right click on the desktop, look under Power management) any options for monitor hibernation or power off checked?

Kenka

My knees are shaking and I am beginning to shed tears of malevolent hatred. OK, it isn't close to be true. But I had the bad idea to fire up without having linking the GPU to the power supply (of course, nothing appeared on the screen, but, hey, you can try). When I put everything back into place, the first message I got when I started the computer was that no hard drive was detected. Damn, I am having this issue again. And I forgot how to solve it.

This misadventure tends to show that the mobo itself may have issues. That just makes my blood boil. Jesus. Mary. Joseph. Juda.

verbum said:
Is there a power management menu item on the monitor itself?
Also, in power saving choices (when you right click on the desktop, look under Power management) any options for monitor hibernation or power off checked?
Sorry to have so less knowledge in hardware but I don't know. I'll check the options when I am able to use the computer again.

edit : my CPU temperature is at 91°C (195°F) ! how should I interpret all these info ? Everything looked like either my PSU or my GPU had a problem. Now, I am starting to doubt my mobo (and my CPU) :x

edit 2 : I selected the HDD in my boot menu and Windows starts again. Pfiou. I am seriously wondering why I am going through such a hassle. It is the first time I build a PC but it is slowly turning into a intensive hardware monitoring course :x

sk3tch

Kenka said:
edit : my CPU temperature is at 91°C (195°F) ! how should I interpret all these info ? Everything looked like either my PSU or my GPU had a problem. Now, I am starting to doubt my mobo (and my CPU) :x

91 C is definitely a point of concern - especially if that's just during load from bootup or even worse, idle.

Try powering down, removing your heatsink/fan, cleaning off the thermal paste (use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs/something similar), and re-applying. Look on YouTube for videos on how to apply thermal paste properly. That's likely the culprit. I did it myself previously...but my temps were around 55 C. So there must be something crazy wrong (you're Sandy Bridge, right?).

Kenka

sk3tch said:
91 C is definitely a point of concern - especially if that's just during load from bootup or even worse, idle.

Try powering down, removing your heatsink/fan, cleaning off the thermal paste (use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs/something similar), and re-applying. Look on YouTube for videos on how to apply thermal paste properly. That's likely the culprit. I did it myself previously...but my temps were around 55 C. So there must be something crazy wrong (you're Sandy Bridge, right?).

Precisely. I am running a Sandy Bridge build with an i3-2100. Powering down means powering off, right ? OK. I'll get some paste.

verbum said:

Okay GAF, Ijust got the money together to start buying for my sandy bridge build (yay!!). Help me out here -- this might be my first purchase. I had the OP-recommended RAM, currently 54.99, on my build list:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Can you guys vouch for either the 4GB Corsair or Kingston deals on that page? 34.99/29.99 after rebate is pretty compelling (frees up money for the GPU, for instance). OTOH, convince me why I need the 8GB right now. Thanks :)

Kenka

FUCK.
Now I get it.

I unboxed the i3-2100 and put it in the mobo. But I didn't see any thermal paste on the CPU. And I didn't apply anything. That may explain some problems I got :x

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I though all stock Intel HSFs have thermal compound already applied to it...? So you wouldn't see any on the CPU itself before installation, but it was probably on the heatsink itself.

The super high temps are probably a case of the HSF not being mounted well - the push-pin mechanism can be a pain in the ass. But yeah, try reseating it and applying some new thermal paste.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kenka said:
FUCK.
Now I get it.

I unboxed the i3-2100 and put it in the mobo. But I didn't see any thermal paste on the CPU. And I didn't apply anything. That may explain some problems I got :x
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU man that was a major oversight. Get it right this time son!

verbum

catapult37 said:
Okay GAF, Ijust got the money together to start buying for my sandy bridge build (yay!!). Help me out here -- this might be my first purchase. I had the OP-recommended RAM, currently 54.99, on my build list:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Can you guys vouch for either the 4GB Corsair or Kingston deals on that page? 34.99/29.99 after rebate is pretty compelling (frees us money for the GPU, for instance). OTOH, convince me why I need the 8GB right now. Thanks :)
Kingston HyperX 1600 is very good quality RAM. Look at the reviews on NewEgg and elsewhere. Looks good if you have blue LEDs, clashes with red LEDs. : )

The Corsair is good as well.
Name brand RAM is a commodity now, the profit comes from the extra money they get for heatsinks/design, marketing, and word of mouth.
And getting 8GB of RAM for Win7 is like getting a raincoat when you live in San Diego. 98% of the time you will not need it, but that 2% of the time you do need it makes you feel good.
I have 8 GB of RAM, for map making it helps. Sometimes for photo editing it helps.

verbum

Kenka said:
FUCK.
Now I get it.

How about frying an egg on the CPU while you got it open? These new CPUs have auto shutdown if they reach a critical temp. Probably no damage.
Your not using toothpaste are you? Make sure you dont brush your teeth with thermal compound. : )

Kenka

ExMachina said:
I though all stock Intel HSFs have thermal compound already applied to it...? So you wouldn't see any on the CPU itself before installation, but it was probably on the heatsink itself.

The super high temps are probably a case of the HSF not being mounted well - the push-pin mechanism can be a pain in the ass. But yeah, try reseating it and applying some new thermal paste, 90 degrees is scary... I'm surprised your mobo even allows you to boot into Windows hitting those temps.

Yeah, I was told by the vendor that I needed no thermal paste and just closed my eyes afterwards. Maybe the problem is due to the heatsink not being mounted properly as you say. I noticed that the CPU fan speed was rising to 2100 rpm + which is I think pretty high.

But why do I get problems only now ? I was able to run the Unigine Heaven benchmark at least for 35 minutes yesterday morning. wtf.

verbum said:
How about frying an egg on the CPU while you got it open? These new CPUs have auto shutdown if they reach a critical temp. Probably no damage.
Your not using toothpaste are you? Make sure you dont brush your teeth with thermal compound. : )
You're mean but that taught me a lesson.

Wazzim

Banned
Kenka said:
FUCK.
Now I get it.

Thermal Paste is on the cooler, not on the CPU itself.

TommyT

Ok PC GAF... /halp

As much as I'd love to just wipe things clean and build something from scratch, not really happening at the moment. I have an inclining that my mother board is currently my bottle neck. It's an MSI P6N SLI Platinum.

Is there a direct upgrade, or rather just a direct swap, of the motherboard that I can do?

CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo e6550

Kyaw

Kenka said:
FUCK.
Now I get it.

Get some thermal paste on that CPU! (probably not if its on the cooler)
Also 91C is very high...

Okay, thanks for the replies on the RAM. Now save me more money and talk me out of SSD. This is pretty much just going to be a gaming machine, and I hear tell that I won't see much different in games outside of better loading times. I definitely want SSD somewhere down the road, but will a 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 drive do me just fine? Any reason to look for 6GB/s (I hear the extra bandwidth is rarely utilized at the moment).

Thanks for opinions...

sk3tch

catapult37 said:
Okay, thanks for the replies on the RAM. Now save me more money and talk me out of SSD. This is pretty much just going to be a gaming machine, and I hear tell that I won't see much different in games outside of better loading times. I definitely want SSD somewhere down the road, but will a 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 drive do me just fine? Any reason to look for 6GB/s (I hear the extra bandwidth is rarely utilized at the moment).

Thanks for opinions...

SSD is going to be a "game breaker" when it comes to performance. No other upgrade improves your overall experience as much as an SSD (as your boot drive) does. With that said, it is expensive. If you're not familiar with the performance of an SSD (or even if you are), there's no reason to go for it if you don't think you can afford it. You can always get one later.

Samsung 7200RPM F3 drives are great and cheap. I have a couple of the 1TB ones in RAID 1 and I'm happy with the performance for the $$$. I plan on getting a 120 or 128GB SSD once the latest round of new drives releases and prices settle. I don't want to pay more than $250.

Kenka

Wazzim said:
Thermal Paste is on the cooler, not on the CPU itself.

Kyaw said:

Get some thermal paste on that CPU! (probably not if its on the cooler)
Also 91C is very high...

Well, I think I've gone one step in the right direction. The heatsink was not properly stuck into the motherboard. What is really strange now is that I can't access the BIOS and that I am still being said at every boot that my HDD is missing. But, after two seconds, Windows is launched properly and without any problem. That's... puzzling. I have to download one of those utilities to see what is the temp of my CPU then.

edit : hurra ! Core Temp says that my both cores are at 32°C and 31°C. Major improvement. 720p Youtube works perfectly now. I'll try Dead Space 2.

itxaka

Defeatist
PElHv.jpg

Crucial M4 review from Anandtech, awesome with a SATA6 connector. I know what Im getting :D (a Vertex 3 :p)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Kenka said:
edit : hurra ! Core Temp says that my both cores are at 32°C and 31°C. Major improvement. 720p Youtube works perfectly now. I'll try Dead Space 2.
Nice! I went through a lot of HSF headaches myself with my first build (had to eventually pull out the mobo entirely to reseat it properly), so I understand your pain. :p It's a learning experience, at least you know now what to look out for next time.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I was gifted a 64 GB SSD that I'll be using for my Win 7 install and a few programs (no games). I know that I need to enable AHCI when I do the install, but is there anything else basic I should know?

I'm also going to be installing Win 7 through USB drive to try clean installing an upgrade version. Hopefully this works.

Kenka

ExMachina said:
Nice! I went through a lot of HSF headaches myself with my first build (had to eventually pull out the mobo entirely to reseat it properly), so I understand your pain. :p It's a learning experience, at least you know now what to look out for next time.

Exactly. My head was continously spinning and I feared at a moment that my PSU and GPU were actually not a the very root of the problem. Then I suspected my mobo until I finally realized that the problem was evident. One thing though, I went through a series of other problems before and I was mislead by the fact that the Unigine Heaven benchmark was running like a charm. So, I think the heatsink was probably unstable and poped out of its canevas in the mobo. But thanks much everybody. I hope this is the end of my troubles.

:)

TheExodu5

Banned
itxaka said:
36346.png

Crucial M4 review from Anandtech, soo awesome with a SATA6 connector. I know what Im getting :D

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review
It's outclassed by the Vertex 3 in nearly every way. The only time the m4 competes is in a test like the one above that uses purely incompressible data. The m4 garbage collection is also not very good according to the review. Unless it's much cheaper than the Vertex 3, I wouldn't go for it.

TommyT

Kenka said:
Well, I think I've gone one step in the right direction. The heatsink was not properly stuck into the motherboard. What is really strange now is that I can't access the BIOS and that I am still being said at every boot that my HDD is missing. But, after two seconds, Windows is launched properly and without any problem. That's... puzzling. I have to download one of those utilities to see what is the temp of my CPU then.

Congrats... This is one thing that will never happen again when building a new pc. Only takes it happening one time to make sure you don't do it again. (at least from what I've seen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom