• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWong

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
For the SSD...go with a 120GB or 160GB Intel 320.
Man, I should really get one.

I just noticed the Intel 510 is cheaper than the 320. Must be a lot less reliable if they're willing to put it on that price.

After a Windows update today, I restarted my computer and played 2 games, FEAR 2 and Just Cause 2. Not long after starting each game, my computer crashes with the BSOD. But the screen went away so quickly that I couldn't see the error codes.

Is there anyway to bring it up again? Like somewhere saved in the computer? I'm willing to bet the BSOD was from the Windows update.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Door2Dawn said:
I'm trying to upgrade my ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card to a more competent one. Right now i'm looking at a GeForce GTX 460 or a ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 Graphics card. I don't know a lot about computer tech but I was told your computer has to have a certain mount of wattage(I think?) to run the graphics card. My total power supply is 460W, will me Dell studio xps 7100 be able to run those two graphics cards?

EDIT: I found the specs for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 :450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

I have 460W total power, so I should be good on the wattage right? But what about the other stuff?

Your power supply should be fine with the 5770, but it might be pushing it. Have you opened up your case at all? Just to be safe, I would take a measurement of how much space there is inside. Modern video cards can be quite large (long) and pre-built systems often come in small, cramped cases.

If you're up for it, I'd recommend you replace the power supply with something better (600w or more), but that does involve unplugging some important cables for which you will have to remember the position of when installing a new one.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Zefah said:
Your power supply should be fine with the 5770, but it might be pushing it. Have you opened up your case at all? Just to be safe, I would take a measurement of how much space there is inside. Modern video cards can be quite large (long) and pre-built systems often come in small, cramped cases.

If you're up for it, I'd recommend you replace the power supply with something better (600w or more), but that does involve unplugging some important cables for which you will have to remember the position of when installing a new one.
What do you mean by "pushing it"? Do you think the card will but a strain on the computer? Would any problems pop up?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Grimm Fandango said:
After a Windows update today, I restarted my computer and played 2 games, FEAR 2 and Just Cause 2. Not long after starting each game, my computer crashes with the BSOD. But the screen went away so quickly that I couldn't see the error codes.

Is there anyway to bring it up again? Like somewhere saved in the computer? I'm willing to bet the BSOD was from the Windows update.
Action Center and then it's under the Check For Solutions button, think it says Display Messages and look at the Windows section.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Door2Dawn said:
What do you mean by "pushing it"? Do you think the card will but a strain on the computer? Would any problems pop up?

It's possible, but you should be fine. The 5770 doesn't seem like it requires a ton of power to run. I'd just be wary of any power supply in a pre-built computer. The power supply is one part you really don't want to skimp on, but I wouldn't be surprised if most manufacturer's just put bottom of the line stuff in their builds.

You should be just fine, though. Just be aware that if your computer starts shutting off or restarting randomly, it's probably due to the power supply.

cbox

Anyone experience bsod's after awaking from sleep?

The error message said something about the kernal, i'll try to recreate it tonight...

:( New pc too!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ConvenientBox said:

The error message said something about the kernal, i'll try to recreate it tonight...

SSD?

Ikuu said:
Action Center and then it's under the Check For Solutions button, think it says Display Messages and look at the Windows section.

Thanks I think I got it:

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          5/25/2011 1:12:51 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Jason-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-25T18:12:51.800812800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>265072</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Jason-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Now just need to look up what exactly happened.

edit: seems like most internet people says it's from my audio drivers so I'll try updating them.

ithorien

Grimm Fandango said:
Thanks I think I got it:

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          5/25/2011 1:12:51 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Jason-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-25T18:12:51.800812800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>265072</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Jason-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Now just need to look up what exactly happened.

edit: seems like most internet people says it's from my audio drivers so I'll try updating them.

Great BSOD resource site-

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions/fatal_error_solutions.php

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have 2 HDD's in a Raid-0 and it seems one of them is starting to fail, the write speed sometimes drops as low as 8MB/s, where it used to consistently hover around 150MB/s. Around this time I have also noticed my FPS drop whilst playing games, could this be why?

Mashing

ConvenientBox said:

Do you have a P8P67 motherboard? Even after they supposedly fixed that in the R3 revision, my brand new board did the same thing. I've disabled sleep and hibernation modes for now.

Mashing said:
Do you have a P8P67 motherboard? Even after they supposedly fixed that in the R3 revision, my brand new board did the same thing. I've disabled sleep and hibernation modes for now.
I doubt it's specific to a motherboard.

WarZombie said:
Saw this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...227314&cm_re=ibuypower-_-83-227-314-_-Product

I'm kind-of in the market for a new PC, specifically a gaming PC. Is this worth it? Anyone else have experience with iBuyPower PCs? Thanks.

I liked my IBuyPower "gaming" laptop I bought in late 2007. It had some overheating issues that cropped up late last year, but still works pretty well. Can't speak for their desktops. I've heard their customer service is awful, but I've never had any experience with that.

Everyone in this thread will tell you the same thing though: Build your own. You'll get a better PC for less money. Hell, buy your parts at NCIX and pay them $50 to build it for you and you'll still be money ahead.

cbox

Mashing said:

1.5tb WD Caviar black hdd and a sabertooth p67 R3. :(

I guess i can have the pc shutdown everynight, but I love the sleep feature.

So, what do I do while waiting for my parts to arrive? This is awful.

EDIT: Scratch that, I need to find some 2.1. (or 2.0. if you can convince me that'd be a better use of my money) speakers for my computer. I have the Asus XonarDG sound card if that makes a difference, and am looking to spend $150 max... so, that's not a huge budget. I can wiggle it up a bit.

I don't know the first thing to look for in computer speakers, never ventured beyond car audio as far as speakers/subs are concerned. Any advice is appreciated.

WarZombie

Neo Member
Soka said:
I liked my IBuyPower "gaming" laptop I bought in late 2007. It had some overheating issues that cropped up late last year, but still works pretty well. Can't speak for their desktops. I've heard their customer service is awful, but I've never had any experience with that.

Everyone in this thread will tell you the same thing though: Build your own. You'll get a better PC for less money. Hell, buy your parts at NCIX and pay them $50 to build it for you and you'll still be money ahead.

I'm not a PC builder, so if I could have some example setups posted, that would be awesome. That is, I know my way around PC parts, but have no idea what kind of parts would make a great gaming PC (I feel if i tried buying parts myself I'd accidently overheat the computer). Something that can run Crysis 2 in it's sleep, yet still be affordable (Something the linked PC has in it's favor) would be great.

mkenyon

Banned
WarZombie said:
I'm not a PC builder, so if I could have some example setups posted, that would be awesome. That is, I know my way around PC parts, but have no idea what kind of parts would make a great gaming PC (I feel if i tried buying parts myself I'd accidently overheat the computer). Something that can run Crysis 2 in it's sleep, yet still be affordable (Something the linked PC has in it's favor) would be great.

Check out the OP. Also, that linked computer certainly would not run Crysis 2 well at all. The graphics card is a budget card you might see in an HTPC.

Darkatomz

Soka said:
So, what do I do while waiting for my parts to arrive? This is awful.

EDIT: Scratch that, I need to find some 2.1. (or 2.0. if you can convince me that'd be a better use of my money) speakers for my computer. I have the Asus XonarDG sound card if that makes a difference, and am looking to spend $150 max... so, that's not a huge budget. I can wiggle it up a bit.

I don't know the first thing to look for in computer speakers, never ventured beyond car audio as far as speakers/subs are concerned. Any advice is appreciated.
$150?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MUXJCO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Done.

Question: I have an .edu (student) email (graduated but still use the email). Can I get Windows 7 cheap somewhere? I got Office that way a year or so ago

Bonus Question! I have an old EIDE hard drive that was sitting in an old computer that did work work for like 3 years. Yesterday I finally pulled it out of the computer because I'm finally getting around to transfering the data from it and throwing that PC away to make closet space.

Best Buy says its $99 to transfer data. I'd rather not buy a EIDE enclosure just for this one hard drive. Does anyone else do it cheaper? Maybe someone like Office Depot or something.

ithorien

HamPster PamPster said:
Question: I have an .edu (student) email (graduated but still use the email). Can I get Windows 7 cheap somewhere? I got Office that way a year or so ago

Bonus Question! I have an old EIDE hard drive that was sitting in an old computer that did work work for like 3 years. Yesterday I finally pulled it out of the computer because I'm finally getting around to transfering the data from it and throwing that PC away to make closet space.

Best Buy says its $99 to transfer data. I'd rather not buy a EIDE enclosure just for this one hard drive. Does anyone else do it cheaper? Maybe someone like Office Depot or something.

Google = your friend.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

Grinchy

Banned
I was in the market for a cheap ~$100 card, and opticalmace turned me onto the Radeon 4850. After discount and rebate, the cost is a whopping $42.

It came today, installed just fine, and I'm blown away by how much of an improvement this is for a "$42" gpu. I went from having to turn all settings down low with 800x600 resolution to get >60fps in TF2 before. Now, I have everything maxed out at 1920x1200 and I hit in the 100s without a lot going on. INSANE upgrade for me.

L4D2 runs almost maxed out at 1920x1200 with well over 60fps unless there's fire. CSS was like in the 180s or so during testing. This is amazing. Now I'm afraid of how many PC games I'm going to buy. Looking at The Witcher, and maybe a double dip on Dragon Age: O

knitoe

ConvenientBox said:
1.5tb WD Caviar black hdd and a sabertooth p67 R3. :(

I guess i can have the pc shutdown everynight, but I love the sleep feature.
Do you have CPU Internal PLL enable? If yes, that's the problem. Intel needs to update the bios CPU code. If you are not doing extreme overclocking (4.8 or above), you don't need it.

ithorien

knitoe said:
Do you have CPU Internal PLL enable? If yes, that's the problem. Intel needs to update the bios CPU code. If you are not doing extreme overclocking (4.8 or above), you don't need it.

Pretty sure this only happens during OC too, at least mine did.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
So my Q6600 is currently running at 83c which is very bad.. Any suggestions on a decent heatsink for it? Or is it worth upgrading? Actually which is the bigger bottleneck here:

My Q6600 or my GTX260?

Currently getting around 25~ FPS in DiRT 2 which sucks :(

mr2xxx

Banned
Label said:
So my Q6600 is currently running at 83c which is very bad.. Any suggestions on a decent heatsink for it? Or is it worth upgrading? Actually which is the bigger bottleneck here:

My Q6600 or my GTX260?

Currently getting around 25~ FPS in DiRT 2 which sucks :(

Cooler Master Hyper 212 is the bang for your buck cooler. Over clock your CPU and upgrade the video card to a 6950/560 or above to make the upgrade worth it.

cbox

knitoe said:
A person with a Sabertooth P67 MB would be overclocking. If not, that's wasting money.

I got a pretty good combo deal on my sabertooth, I might overclock in the days to come - but honestly this cpu has blown me away so far, rendering video and 3d has been bliss so far!

I'm guessing the PLL option is available in the bios? I'll have to check it out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hazaro said:
Not Sandy Bridge. Don't buy it.

Look at the OP build.
Add 2600K
Get 8GB of 1.5V DDR3 from G.Skill
Get GTX 570 vs 6950
Drop $200 on Intel 320 if you want SSD.

Done. Enjoy.

What do you mean not Sandy Bridge? Isn't Intel Core i7-2600K sandy bridge?

And btw what is the difference between 3x4GB, or 6x2GB of RAM?

nLjyK.png

B)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ether_Snake said:
What do you mean not Sandy Bridge? Isn't Intel Core i7-2600K sandy bridge?

And btw what is the difference between 3x4GB, or 6x2GB of RAM?
You linked an i7 960 or something.
Sandy Bridge is much better, go with what I listed.

Difference is the load placed on the motherboard chipset is greater to run and power and manage 3 sticks vs 6 sticks. Fewer is better. Less to go wrong too.

Twig

Banned
Can anyone give me some examples of games that would be CPU-bound for me?

I've got a Q6600 and a 6950.

I'm curious. U:

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
Can anyone give me some examples of games that would be CPU-bound for me?

I've got a Q6600 and a 6950.

I'm curious. U:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the first thing that comes to mind.

And many games that only use 1-2 cores, including Starcraft 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 (really), The Witcher (the first game).

TheExodu5

Banned
Radeon 5770 is $80 at NCIX (Canada). Not bad if you're looking for a low power usage , gaming capable part.

Also a steal:

NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal AMD Phenom II X4 810 OEM CPU & MSI 870-G45 CrossFire DDR3 ATX Motherboard
$135

NCIX Silent Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core CPU & Noctua Nh C12P-SE14 140MM Heatsink
$220

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit
$60

ADATA NH92 ANH92-500GU-CBK 500GB 2.5IN Ultra Thin External Portable USB2.0 Hard Drive Black
$40

The Witcher 2 (PC Game)
$40

OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
$150

OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 240GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
$300

OCZ RevoDrive 240GB PCIe X4 Sandforce SF-1200 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive
$380

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Dual Fan 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini Display Port PCI-E Video Card
$170

MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Fermi 786MHZ 1280MB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card
$280

MSI GeForce GTX 550 Ti Cyclone II OC 950MHZ 1900MHZ 1GB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
$100

NCIX Silent Bundle Deal Fractal Design Define R3 Black Case & OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Power Supply
$120

Best sale I've seen in a long time.

http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=dadsgrads2011

TheExodu5

Banned
opticalmace said:
How does the OCZ 120gb vertex 2 drive compare to the intel 320 120gb drive? For my laptop. Thanks.

I heard the intel drive is more reliable.. which is important to me if true.

Then go with the Intel. The Vertex can have, and has had issues. It's simply a very cheap alternative at this point.

TheExodu5

Banned
mr2xxx said:
Exodu5 I know that you got SLI 570's and from previous comments seemed you regretted it, still feel that way?

Sometimes I regret is, sometimes I don't.

The Witcher 2 only runs at a constant 60fps if I'm running in SLI, which makes me happy about my purchase. But then, I realize that The Witcher 2 currently has issues with SLI (need to create a custom profile, and lights shine through objects), which makes me regret my purchase.

It's only really worth it for a handful of games, but when it helps ensure 60fps, it's great to have that extra horsepower. You just have to be willing to deal with the occasional SLI issue, including sometimes needing to find SLI compatibility bits for NVidia Inspector to get it working with unsupported games.

mr2xxx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

The Witcher 2 only runs at a constant 60fps if I'm running in SLI, which makes me happy about my purchase. But then, I realize that The Witcher 2 currently has issues with SLI (need to create a custom profile, and lights shine through objects), which makes me regret my purchase.

It's only really worth it for a handful of games, but when it helps ensure 60fps, it's great to have that extra horsepower. You just have to be willing to deal with the occasional SLI issue, including sometimes needing to find SLI compatibility bits for NVidia Inspector to get it working with unsupported games.

Thanks, I figured those issues are still around. I'll have to wait and see if any games that come out are worth the hassle then.

TheExodu5 said:

Just be glad The Witcher 2 works with SLI because you can create a custom profile. ATI users are SOL right now since they can't even do that with their drivers. Nvidia will probably have a default Witcher 2 profile by their next WHQL driver anyways, lights shining through objects isn't even that big of a problem compared to the issues SLI/CrossFire can have with other games.

I was able to make the Korean Tera client work with both AA and SLI by using Nvidia Inspector and creating a custom profile which uses the generic Unreal Engine 3 profile. Having custom profiles and being able to use Nvidia Inspector are not trivial things, the ATI users have been suffering without them for more than 5 years now and quite frankly ATI doesn't give a fuck.

No enthusiast technology like SLI/CrossFire is perfect and always works without issues, but I don't regret going SLI even for a minute when I fire up Crysis and it's constantly giving me 50-60fps in 1080p with all settings maxed in-game and 8x MSAA and Crysis of course is a game that works flawlessly with SLI with no problems of any kind.

TheExodu5

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Just be glad The Witcher 2 works with SLI because you can create a custom profile. ATI users are SOL right now since they can't even do that with their drivers.

They can with the latest hotfix. But still, they have the same issue of having lights shine through objects.

TheExodu5 said:
They can with the latest hotfix. But still, they have the same issue of having lights shine through objects.

Then it's probably a bug in the game and there's nothing Nvidia and ATI can do about it. Don't blame the videocard companies for the shoddy game software. How is The Witcher 2 in terms of bugginess, anyways? The open-world CRPGs are in general not exactly known for being bug-free and stable.

TheExodu5 said:
Just get an Asus P8P67 Pro. He's not going to get any benefit from the higher end boards. This will leave the option open for SLI just in case he wants to down the road. If he doesn't, then just go with the regular P8P67.

A modular PSU is nice, but unecessary, as long as you have a nice case with good cable management. Go with the Corsair AX850 if you don't know where to spend money and want to leave open the possibility of SLI. 750TX or 650TX otherwise.

A nice case is certainly recommended. This is going to depend on his wants. If he doesn't mind a full tower, then the FT02 is pretty damned nice. I would certainly rather spend the extra money there, instead of the motherboard or PSU. Otherwise, take a look at the Haf 922, the CM 690 II Advanced, and the Fractal Define R3, for starters.

As mentioned above, I'd go with a triple slot Asus GPU...cooler and quieter, for the same price.

For the SSD...go with a 120GB or 160GB Intel 320.

Wait, if you never going to do SLI, then regular P8P67 is good enough for just overclocking?

TheExodu5

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Then it's probably a bug in the game and there's nothing Nvidia and ATI can do about it. Don't blame the videocard companies for the shoddy game software. How is The Witcher 2 in terms of bugginess, anyways? The open-world CRPGs are in general not exactly known for being bug-free and stable.

I wouldn't call it a bug.

The first game actually has the exact same issue with the default SLI profile. The right compatibility bits fixes the issue.

It's up to the GPU manufacturers to make multi card configurations work with the game, not the game developers.

momolicious said:
Wait, if you never going to do SLI, then regular P8P67 is good enough for just overclocking?

Correct.

Smokey

Meh

Maybe I'll get the Hyper 212+ this weekend. Playing Dirt 3 and I stop to take a look at temps and they are in the 70s range and looks like the highs for all 4 cores were 89-91.

Unless I'm mistaken...I should be getting much better temps than these from a H70?

Running 2600k @ 4.6 btw

TheExodu5 said:
I wouldn't call it a bug.

The first game actually has the exact same issue with the default SLI profile. The right compatibility bits fixes the issue.

So did you try any different compatibility bits? I'm sure on some Witcher 2 forum somewhere there's a huge thread with a bunch of people testing different SLI profiles looking for the perfect one.

It's up to the GPU manufacturers to make multi card configurations work with the game, not the game developers.

No, it's up to the game developers to work with the GPU manufacturers to make sure their game works well. There's only 2 gaming GPU manufacturers, and one of them is well-known for working hand-in-hand with any developer who asks for their help with debugging and optimizing a game for their cards, so there isn't any excuse for releasing a product which breaks on one or both company's cards. Unless you're Bioware and you were paid by AMD to break Dragon Age 2 on Nvidia cards. If CDProjekt just doesn't give a damn, then there's nothing Nvidia or ATI can ever do quite frankly.

There's a well-known bug in BFBC2 which breaks the game when using Nvidia Surround or ATI Eyefinity. EA/DICE don't seem to care, so it remains unfixed forever and there's nothing Nvidia or ATI can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom