• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

Le-mo said:
Thanks, Hazaro. I'm currently building a computer for my brother and I'm running into a little problem. The PSU doesn't come with a cable to connect to JPWR2, which I assumes supply power to the CPU. Is this normal? It's a 4pin connector.
Anyone?

RS4- said:
Whoops, I should have said that it was just for the shader unlock lol.

It doesn't matter... it's still dangerous. ATIWinflash isn't always reliable... do you really want to be one of those guys crying on the forums and writing to the manufacturer for a replacement card?

Le-mo said:

I know what that cable looks like, forget what it does. There should be an adapter that lets you add one of those via Molex.

powadp-p4molex_2029_general.jpg

knitoe said:
Since the unlock 6950 has dual bios, not really an issue. And, although less likely, you can also fail in dos, bios and so on. There are no guarantees.

PLL is only needed for extreme overclocks, 4.8 and above. Even then, if you aren't hitting the "wall," you don't need it.

Oh, nice. Didn't know the 6950 had dual bios. In that case, fuck it, flash away.

knitoe

BoobPhysics101 said:
Here, let me give you a little advice:

DO NOT EVER FLASH A GPU BIOS THROUGH WINFLASH OR IN WINDOWS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!

This is a ridiculously easy way to brick your GPU. And if you don't know how to blindflash, you're el-fucko.

Just do it through DOS or don't do it at all.
Since the unlock 6950 has dual bios, not really an issue. And, although less likely, you can also fail in dos, bios and so on. There are no guarantees.

Dosia said:
Thanks. After searching it was caused from overclocking and having the pll overvoltage enabled.
PLL is only needed for extreme overclocks, 4.8 and above. Even then, if you aren't hitting the "wall," you don't need it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looking to buy a new PC, to do both pre-rendered images and real-time rendering (so basically I need to run 3DS Max, Photoshop, and an editor like Unreal, at the same time), but nothing really excessive. I won't really be playing games much on it, but I need a decent graphics card to run the editor anyway.

Right now I'm looking at this one (hate the casing but whatever):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229235

6GB of RAM is a bit low but I'm thinking I can just add more if I feel it's needed. Graphics card sounds good to me.

1TB hard drive is a bit much. I have an external one for stocking a lot of stuff on. Wouldn't I be better off with two HDs with less space and same them up together or some such? I forget what's it called, but basically it goes faster:p

I'll need two monitors since I have an old big-ass CRT that is taking too much space but I'll probably buy those separately to avoid the shipping costs unless I find a good deal.

What do you guys think?

Otherwise I'll build it myself, but I got no experience in this. Can't be TOO complicated I guess, but I remember having had trouble installing a fan before:p Might turn out cheaper?

ZZMitch

You should always do a custom build. If you are nervous about building it yourself you can use ncix.com which will build the pc for you if you give them 50 bucks.

Chris R

But seriously, build it yourself. So hard to screw up. You follow easy steps, and in doing so, have a better understanding of the hardware you are using. Sure you can pay someone $50 to change your oil in your car, but everyone should at least change it on their own once right?

knitoe

Ether_Snake said:
Looking to buy a new PC, to do both pre-rendered images and real-time rendering (so basically I need to run 3DS Max, Photoshop, and an editor like Unreal, at the same time), but nothing really excessive. I won't really be playing games much on it, but I need a decent graphics card to run the editor anyway.

Right now I'm looking at this one (hate the casing but whatever):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229235

6GB of RAM is a bit low but I'm thinking I can just add more if I feel it's needed. Graphics card sounds good to me.

1TB hard drive is a bit much. I have an external one for stocking a lot of stuff on. Wouldn't I be better off with two HDs with less space and same them up together or some such? I forget what's it called, but basically it goes faster:p

I'll need two monitors since I have an old big-ass CRT that is taking too much space but I'll probably buy those separately to avoid the shipping costs unless I find a good deal.

What do you guys think?

Otherwise I'll build it myself, but I got no experience in this. Can't be TOO complicated I guess, but I remember having had trouble installing a fan before:p Might turn out cheaper?
Since are doing rendering, for starters:
CPU: 2600K
MB: Sandy Bridge Z68 Overclocking & Quick Sync Video Transcoding
Ram: at least 8GB, 16GB better.
Graphic: Select one that performs what you like in games. Recommend going Nvidia for CUDA.
Monitors: You want accurate colors. Go IPS panels.
HDD: Go SSD. Helps with load times.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ether_Snake said:

Not Sandy Bridge. Don't buy it.

Look at the OP build.
Add 2600K
Get 8GB of 1.5V DDR3 from G.Skill
Get GTX 570 vs 6950
Drop $200 on Intel 320 if you want SSD.

Done. Enjoy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
Not Sandy Bridge. Don't buy it.

Look at the OP build.
Add 2600K
Get 8GB of 1.5V DDR3 from G.Skill
Get GTX 570 vs 6950
Drop $200 on Intel 320 if you want SSD.

Done. Enjoy.

Photoshop GPU acceleration only works with NVidia, right? Or is that Premier?

TheExodu5 said:
Photoshop GPU acceleration only works with NVidia, right? Or is that Premier?

CUDA acceleration was added in Adobe Creative Suite 5. So starting with Photoshop CS5, GPU acceleration only works on Nvidia cards. The previous version of Photoshop (CS4) only supported general OpenGL acceleration and so worked on any card which had an OpenGL driver, but obviously CS5 accelerates a lot more functions than CS4 did.

If he's looking for something to accelerate 3D Studio Max though I think he'll be looking into a Quadro card since those cards have the driver support necessary for 3DSMax acceleration. Photoshop CS5 acceleration works on any sufficiently powerful Nvidia card now starting with like the 260 series drivers. I don't know what requirements are needed for UnrealEd but I would imagine the more powerful the card the better if he wants his level preview going at normal speed.

Jeramii

Banned
can someone please help me. i'm sure this has been mentioned, and possibly resolved at some point or another. but i have a sony z series 40" 1080p 50k:1 240hz television as my monitor for my new computer i built.

my graphics card is the asus gtx 570.

when running on my desktop everything is perfect 1920x1080p or whatever the standard resolution is... but whenever i play a game if i keep that setting it runs off the screen by about an inch.

after playing with every size setting on my monitor i know for a fact it isn't the tv messing with the picture (or at least it shouldn't be). the only game i could get to run perfect to the screen is startcraft 2 which only would adjust to the right size after putting it into windowed mode (which in starcraft still fills the entire screen, it literally makes a window for every other game I have tried).

so i'm out of ideas. i've messed with the settings on the nVidia control panel as well. thus far the only thing i can do is lower the resolution in most games and it makes a half an inch thick black bar around the entire screen... which is fine, but annoying.

is there a known solution to this problem, or do i need to elaborate further... or am i just stuck with the half inch bar?

Jeramii said:
can someone please help me. i'm sure this has been mentioned, and possibly resolved at some point or another. but i have a sony z series 40" 1080p 50k:1 240hz television as my monitor for my new computer i built.

when running on my desktop everything is perfect 1920x1080p or whatever the standard resolution is... but whenever i play a game if i keep that setting it runs off the screen by about an inch.

after playing with every size setting on my monitor i know for a fact it isn't the tv messing with the picture (or at least it shouldn't be). the only game i could get to run perfect to the screen is startcraft 2 which only would adjust to the right size after putting it into windowed mode (which in starcraft still fills the entire screen, it literally makes a window for every other game I have tried).

so i'm out of ideas. i've messed with the settings on the nVidia control panel as well. thus far the only thing i can do is lower the resolution in most games and it makes a half an inch thick black bar around the entire screen... which is fine, but annoying.

is there a known solution to this problem, or do i need to elaborate further... or am i just stuck with the half inch bar?

If the desktop is displaying correctly, I have a hunch it's not your TV. However make sure your TV's Screen settings are properly set to Wide Mode = Full, Display Area = Full Pixel to prevent any overscan. I'm not sure if Sony has moved Screen around but it used to be an option under the Settings icon of the TV's XMB.

Yes, Sony's HDTVs use XMB as the UI. If I go to my TV's settings I can have an XMB overlaid on my PS3's XMB. Yo dawg...

TheExodu5

Banned
Jeramii said:

I don't know if this will help, but give it a shot:

Go to the NVidia control panel.
Click on "Adjust desktop color settings"
Set "Content type reported to the display" to "Desktop programs"

I had an issue where my Sony TV would make the image all pixelated whenever I opened a game. That fixed it. Could be a similar issue.

The game actually reports a content type to the TV, and the TV might be changing settings as it reads the new content type. This will prevent your PC from reporting any content type other than Desktop.

Starcraft 2 would have been fine because you were probably running in Fullscreen (windowed), which is still considered the desktop.

Jeramii

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

I had an issue where my Sony TV would make the image all pixelated whenever I opened a game. That fixed it. Could be a similar issue.

The game actually reports a content type to the TV, and the TV might be changing settings as it reads the new content type. This will prevent your PC from reporting any content type other than Desktop.

Starcraft 2 would have been fine because you were probably running in Fullscreen (windowed), which is still considered the desktop.

dude. you rock, you were 100% correct. never would have considered looking in the color settings of the control panel.

i owe you lunch someday. ^__^

TheExodu5

Banned
Jeramii said:
dude. you rock, you were 100% correct. never would have considered looking in the color settings of the control panel.

i owe you lunch someday. ^__^

:)

It took me a while to find out the cause of this. It was fine with the 19x.xx driver series, but moving on to the 2xx.xx series, it started happening. I used to create a custom resolution to fix it. Accidentally stumbled upon this setting a few months ago.

Jeramii

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
:)

It took me a while to find out the cause of this. It was fine with the 19x.xx driver series, but moving on to the 2xx.xx series, it started happening. I used to create a custom resolution to fix it. Accidentally stumbled upon this setting a few months ago.

yeah i've been experimenting with custom resolutions and it was such a pain, every game i had to switch it from the default 1080p to anything i could get close to working. this is seriously awesome.

i searched google for about an hour with no success, didn't think about asking gaf until a few minutes before i posted that. so i do appreciate it a lot. ^__^

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
Greetings Master-Race GAF.

Alright, I've been wanting to get in on this for a looooong time and I finally think I'm ready. I'm a total newb but I've been checking out the websites posted in the OP and am slowly learning.

My first question is, Should I wait for the next season's guide(Summer I'm assuming) from that website in the OP before I build my PC? I see you guys talking about new things coming out but I can't tell if it is something I should wait on or not.

I'm looking to build a solid Gaming PC for under $1500. I won't be overclocking since I am new to this and all. I want the PC to be as top of the line and Upgradeable as possible but I won't be using it for much more than Gaming/Emulation and browsing the internet.

I appreciate any assistance I can get from you guys and I'm sure I'll be visiting this thread alot in the near future.

jarosh

·feist· said:
Dude, you're a full on nutter. I love it.

I like both of those HTPC cases above because they're full featured, well built, and have good cooling performance, so no worries there. Shame about the spacing issue.

For mATX enclosures with decent room for gaming components, SilverStone also has the GD04, GD05, and GD02, but they may be too wide for you.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd02&area=
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd02mt&area=
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=GD04&area=

Apart from those, you have a slew of mITX and standard ATX cases. Most of the other quality mATX options that I can think of, at the moment, start around 2-3x the price of those SS and LL models. Currently drawing a blank on decent, specific models that are a bit less pricey from other companies. Take a look at Newegg, you'll see some from Cooler Master, Antec, Thermaltake, etc.
i just discovered that silverstone's older models from the sugo series are much closer to the form factor i'm looking for. but i dunno if they're still up to scratch. i love this one: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=SG02-F&area=usa. dimensions would make it a perfect fit for me. don't know about the cooling... any thoughts?

i think if i don't find a perfect desktop form factor i'll probably go with one of the fractal design towers. those seem small, look awesome and are cheap.

TheExodu5 said:

I've never heard of this before. I have a Sony TV too and I've never seen anything like this, it's pretty bizarre. I actually wonder what exactly the video card is reporting to the TV over HDMI which could be causing this.

knitoe

Murkas said:
Will this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239813

Be compatible with this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/199655 (What I have)

And if it is, should I get it? My card gets really hot when playing Witcher 2 and the fan gets so loud it's really annoying me :(
It says 5850 is supported.

Have you tried lowering the power consumption in CCC? I did it to my CF 6970 using the max -20% and it no longer sounds like a wind tunnel (when temps reach 90C) playing Witcher.

Murkas

knitoe said:
It says 5850 is supported.

Have you tried lowering the power consumption in CCC? I did it to my CF 6970 using the max -20% and it no longer sounds like a wind tunnel (when temps reach 90C) playing Witcher.

I know it said 5850 is supported, it's just I wasn't fully sure if my card is a reference card or not, the cooler only fits reference cards.

I haven't tried the method you're suggesting yet. I may go ahead with the cooler if it's compatible as I hear the sapphire stock coolers are not very good anyway.

(and holy shit at you reaching 90c, my card only reaches 75c and that worries me.)

Murkas

Hazaro said:
Anything under 95C is fine. Sounds like you have room to let the fan stay at 60% or something.

Hmm all right, I'll set MSI to stay at 60% and see what temps I get and if the fan noise is acceptable.

(I feel this could all do with the fact that I haven't cleaned the GPU since I got it a year ago and my cables are a tangled mess creating no airflow :( )

Hey GAF,

I need your expertise please, I am going to put my GPU up for sale on Craigslist, how much do you think I can get for it? It's been used as my gaming GPU since June 2008, it works flawlessly still (of course) A couple of swift responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Palit GeForce 9600 GT 1GB Sonic

Palit-9600-GT-Top.jpg

Zinga

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
Hey GAF,

I need your expertise please, I am going to put my GPU up for sale on Craigslist, how much do you think I can get for it? It's been used as my gaming GPU since June 2008, it works flawlessly still (of course) A couple of swift responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Palit GeForce 9600 GT 1GB Sonic

Palit-9600-GT-Top.jpg

you will get $50 if you are lucky!

TheExodu5

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I've never heard of this before. I have a Sony TV too and I've never seen anything like this, it's pretty bizarre. I actually wonder what exactly the video card is reporting to the TV over HDMI which could be causing this.

The video card reports the content type to the TV, so that the TV can have different picture quality settings for each content type. The Sony has different "Scenes" you can select, including "Graphics", "Games", "Movies", etc. Personally, I just have one calibrated setting, and leave it at that, so I don't want content type to be reported.

What causes it to get pixelated, though? I have absolutely no idea. It baffles me. It was fine with the old 196.xx drivers, even with content type reporting.

It's honestly like my screen was displaying a 640*480 downscale of a 1080p signal...or even worse than that.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hello personal computing GAF! I have some bad news, my video card has died. :(

A giant new build upgrade with new motherboard, processor, cooler, RAM, power supply, etc is not available at this time. It's years and years away. I obviously need a new video card though, so I'm hoping you can help me out with whether I should purchase an equivalent to what I had before for less money, or if it's worth upgrading. The idea is that I'd rather not spend the money unless I'm going to see a significant difference with my existing system.

So here's what I have. Don't laugh :(

ASUS A8N32SLI Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz processor
2GB RAM
500W Power supply
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Win 7
Dead video card was an 8800 GTS 512.

What do you think?

ithorien

Borgnine said:
Hello personal computing GAF! I have some bad news, my video card has died. :(

A giant new build upgrade with new motherboard, processor, cooler, RAM, power supply, etc is not available at this time. It's years and years away. I obviously need a new video card though, so I'm hoping you can help me out with whether I should purchase an equivalent to what I had before for less money, or if it's worth upgrading. The idea is that I'd rather not spend the money unless I'm going to see a significant difference with my existing system.

So here's what I have. Don't laugh :(

ASUS A8N32SLI Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz processor
2GB RAM
500W Power supply
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Win 7
Dead video card was an 8800 GTS 512.

What do you think?

I think I'd get a GTX460 and just try to ride this out as long as you can. Won't be terribly expensive (~170), and it'll give you some life. But in the end, your build's just really old so your other hardware will be a bottleneck.

mkenyon

Banned
Got my 5870s running in X-Fire last night. Crysis is now my bitch on Very High.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket air cooler for 5870s? The new one is crazy loud and my old one's fan is dying. Looking at the Zalman VF3000A, but lots of bricking reports on that. I found the VRM heatsink from thermalright, but not finding the main cooler that goes along with it. Also found the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus (holy long name batman), but it requires a specific VRM part to buy with it that I can't find anywhere. The cards are right on top of each other, so I'm additionally worried about clearance issues. So, any recs?

f0rk

Considering going for this build.
7fzZ6.png

There's nothing wrong with it right? Never built a PC from scratch before.
I know the CPU overclock and graphics card unlock are both supposed to be pretty easy, can I leave that stuff till after the computers been running for a bit or should I do it straight away?

ithorien

f0rk said:
Considering going for this build.

There's nothing wrong with it right? Never built a PC from scratch before.
I know the CPU overclock and graphics card unlock are both supposed to be pretty easy, can I leave that stuff till after the computers been running for a bit or should I do it straight away?

I'd say it's pretty solid. You can OC right away or later. I got antsy but wanted to make sure everything was solid before I did it, OCd after 4 or 5 days. I'd say get things stable then worry about it.

Hows this build? What could I change to improve?

This is for a friend who was looking at a $2200 Dell PC .... I told him he could build a beast for that much.

Build.jpg

ithorien

flyinpiranha said:

This is for a friend who was looking at a $2200 Dell PC .... I told him he could build a beast for that much.

If he's willing to spend $2200, I'd go with a better board, no need for 16GB ram, modular PSU, get an SSD for OS. Depending on what he does (gaming etc), save money and get a 2500k instead. No idea on the case.

If someone has a chance, I have this motherboard and currently the E7400 processor, which of those compatible quads would be worth upgrading to for a fair price? I want better performance and my gtx 260 still gives plenty so I think my cpu needs to be replaced for a better one.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
flyinpiranha said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/flyinpiranha/Build.jpg
SSD+Modular PSU as mentioned above.

You can get a really nice case. Something like a FT02 or HAF X. You should probably warn him about the size of a full tower first though.

I'd step up the video card too. Probably one of those Asus triple slot GPUs. There is one available for the 6970, 570, and 580. You could probably afford a 580 with this build if you deem it worth the markup over the other two.

Since you'll be adding a SSD, swap out that HDD for a 3TB or something for a general storage drive.

Combos combos combos. Especially with components that high end, you can probably save a pretty penny.

mkenyon

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

2500K over the 2600K, don't need 16GB of ram unless he's wanting to run a crapton of virtual machines.

With that saved, SSD, better case, better mobo (such as sabertooth).

scogoth

·feist· said:
Coming soon to a trade show and case recommendation list near you...

Fractal will be showing the revised version of the Arc at Computex. Should also have final, or near final, versions of the upcoming Define Mini, Arc Mini, Core 3000, and Core 1000. All of which are slated to go on sale globally between late June and early-mid July (possibly later for the Cores).

They did a hell of a job with the changes, and should continue stealing sales from much pricier brands like Lian Li, Corsair, and SilverStone.

To go along with the SweClockers video of the Arc and Arc Mini, here's a newer review from MNPC.

Fractal Design "Arc" Midi Case Review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3tDaaTPec

Been waiting for the Arc Mini for awhile now. Can't wait till its out but in the meantime at the other end of the scale...

Obsidian 800D $65 off

Anyone build with Bitfenix cases before? I was interested in the white Colossus because of the cable management but wanted to know about the build quality.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just get an Asus P8P67 Pro. He's not going to get any benefit from the higher end boards. This will leave the option open for SLI just in case he wants to down the road. If he doesn't, then just go with the regular P8P67.

A modular PSU is nice, but unecessary, as long as you have a nice case with good cable management. Go with the Corsair AX850 if you don't know where to spend money and want to leave open the possibility of SLI. 750TX or 650TX otherwise.

A nice case is certainly recommended. This is going to depend on his wants. If he doesn't mind a full tower, then the FT02 is pretty damned nice. I would certainly rather spend the extra money there, instead of the motherboard or PSU. Otherwise, take a look at the Haf 922, the CM 690 II Advanced, and the Fractal Define R3, for starters.

As mentioned above, I'd go with a triple slot Asus GPU...cooler and quieter, for the same price.

For the SSD...go with a 120GB or 160GB Intel 320.

Door2Dawn

Banned
I'm trying to upgrade my ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card to a more competent one. Right now i'm looking at a GeForce GTX 460 or a ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 Graphics card. I don't know a lot about computer tech but I was told your computer has to have a certain mount of wattage(I think?) to run the graphics card. My total power supply is 460W, will me Dell studio xps 7100 be able to run those two graphics cards?

EDIT: I found the specs for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 :450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

I have 460W total power, so I should be good on the wattage right? But what about the other stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom