• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pctx said:
What I mean is are you maxing out the usage of the RAM? If you're not, then I wouldn't bother getting any more RAM. If you are, then I would look at getting matching pairs to the ones you already have and bump up to 8GB of RAM. One point though is that when you increase the RAM, you also can get into problems with your OC. Something to be mindful of. The biggest point though is that the you'll get the biggest boost from a new video card. Hope that helps.
Oh alright I get what you mean. I'm not exactly sure if I do, how can I check something like that?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Snakeyes said:
Basic Desktop Questions
Budget: preferably 0 - $2000 but I'm willing to go higher if need be. I'm in Canada.
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher II maxed out, Skyrim maxed out, Crysis maxed out.
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: I can easily wait until late 2011.
Will you be overclocking?: No

Sorry for the other post.
See you Q3 when LGA2011 hits then :D
toasty_T said:
I'm planning on doing a CPU, mobo and RAM upgrade to replace my aging socket 775 with a my tired Q6600 around March. My hope is that I can snag an i7 2600K a board and RAM for $500 or so with a ceiling of $600.

I have a couple of questions; are the socket 1155 boards dual or triple channel? Also, will I need a new CPU cooler? I'm thinking mine can't fit and I plan on pushing past the illustrious 5GHz mark. Just thinking of 5GHz is making me salivate.
dual channel. 4.5Ghz + is the more realistic. The voltages needed (so far) for 5Ghz is maddeningly high.
FromTheFuture said:
Oh alright I get what you mean. I'm not exactly sure if I do, how can I check something like that?
Windows task manager -> Performance

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Weenerz said:
Have they released sandy bridge benchmarks yet? Very interested in seeing the comparisons.
An asian website had a bench vs 2 other cpu's at the same speed and anandtech had a hands on with an ES like 4 months ago, so nothing really.

Lots of info will come soon. Really looking forward to anandtech's 26 page write up :D

Pctx

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
Well if you're using Windows (assuming) just open up Task Manager (right click your task bar and choose task manager) and once you've done that, look at performance tab.
(took a snapshot of mine)
1zfj15d.png

What you want to pay attention is highlighted in yellow. The way Windows 7 works (again, assuming here) is that it actually caches a lot of the memory. Available and free are typically the specific ones to look at. Available means that the system has cached that memory to use for applications, games etc.

If you have virtually 0 or > than 512MB, then I would suggest evaluate getting more. Obviously... don't leave 1GB files open in photoshop while gaming, but you get the general idea.

Pctx

Banned
Weenerz said:
Have they released sandy bridge benchmarks yet? Very interested in seeing the comparisons.
HardOCP is going to have a write up here by the end of this week. Kyle has the CPU's in hand.

I just ordered most of the parts for the $600 pc. My video card and dvd drive are decent, so I'm going to hold onto them for a while. I ordered through Amazon to get free 2 day shipping and no sales tax, so I got a pretty solid upgrade for $430. So this year's Steam sale only cost me a little less than $500. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hazaro said:
I wouldn't put that much faith in those. 2500K is worth it alone for StarCraft II though if true :lol

I'm waiting for Anandtech and TechReport myself. I'll read [H] and a few other websites as well, but those are my go to.

Oh yea i wouldn't put much faith into them either. However the SB chip has been out for ~ a month around asia, so there's benchmarks, overclocks all floating around on the net.

I will still wait for the same review places as yourself.

However these are the mainstream SB chips not the enthusiast ones. Those come out later on in the year without the onbaord GPU.

A few random sites and forums have also done SB comparos against i5s, i7 quads, Intel six cores and AMD X6s across the last few weeks. Will be nice once we have better benches from numerous sources.

Hazaro said:
...What? feist is simply using loving sarcasm. He's been very helpful.
Shambles said:
Yeah, nothing but love in here for everyone.
Not on my end. High stakes rock, paper, scissors for the 2012 thread?

Wallach said:
690 II Advanced is a bad ass case that was probably the only other one I'd seriously consider over the Antec 300 for my next build. I may go with that this time just to see how I like it down the road.

Edit - In fact I think I might just order one right now! Fuck it!
The Antec 300 is one of my favorites. I've used it on builds and regularly recommend it. They need to get the across the board price back down to $50, though. Nice case, but at $70 + $10 ship for the 300 Black (if you want intakes), it just doesn't stack up well at all against the 690 II.

Shambles said:
I'm seriously looking at the 690 but considering I won't build a new machine for myself likely until the end of 2011 I probably won't risk the case market progressing to where I might get something better for the same amount of money. Worst case scenario things stay relatively the same. It's probably not a good sign if i'm already looking at parts for a build 12 months down the road :lol
Yeah, I wouldn't buy anything until then either. Nothing wrong in planning ahead. I'm already "spec'ing" my next primary build and that's likely going to be 12-14 months from now unless I just can't resist.

godhandiscen said:
I agree that it comes down to preference, but the Corsair AX1200 being better is flat out wrong.

The Antec HCP 1200 is more quiet, smaller and reponds better to variable amounts of power used during a session.
I don't take any single source as gospel. Not even [H]. Not saying that you went on that alone, though. As for the AX1200 being the one to beat, I was taking price/performance/quality/warranty/customer service/etc into consideration. Things that could sway a purchase or recommendation in favor of a Corsair AX850 over a SeaSonic X850, for instance, even though SS builds the Corsair unit.

The bold is one of the more interesting parts.

Wallach

·feist· said:
The Antec 300 is one of my favorites. I've used it on builds and regularly recommend it. They need to get the across the board price back down to $50, though. Nice case, but at $70 + $10 ship for the 300 Black (if you want intakes), it just doesn't stack up well at all against the 690 II.

I actually didn't realize the MSRP was that high on the 300. I think I bought mine for $40 from Microcenter when I bought my i5-750 when they were selling it at some ridiculous price (even when they were newer).

Regarding the 690 II Advanced, have you had any problems with the front/top panel plugs not functioning correctly? I've been reading reviews before I actually get one of these shipped my way and I come across a fair number of complaints regarding the front USB 2.0 and audio ports. Ever experience anything like that?

Aside from that concern I can't see anything to dislike about it. The aesthetics are right up my alley and the design looks so damn smart. It looks like it definitely has a leg up in terms of cable management over the 300, and I like the 80mm slot that sits behind the CPU. I figure since I actually need to take the MB out of my 300 here when my new HSF arrives (boo to no backplate cutout on the 300) I should just go ahead and move the whole system into something new. I've also got 3 more 120mm CM fans coming, though I don't know if I have a 80mm lying around for that back CPU slot...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

SoulClap

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 1Gb 5770 to the GTX 570 and have a couple questions:

1) Do you guys think it's worth upgrading from my current card and do you see the card coming down in the price pretty soon?

2) I noticed the 570 has a Mini HDMI out. Could there be any issues using a HDMI to HDMI Mini adaptor?

3) Apparently the 570 can only power two displays as once. Is it still possible to connect three displays to to it and specify which two are active in the control panel?

Thanks for any help.

Sandy Bridge.

I wonder how much better the 2600K will be. Its present counterpart, the 875K, is the best value proposition for anyone willing and able to overclock.

Aren't more SSDs becoming SATA6 compliant, to say nothing of the oncoming wave of PCIe drives?

clav

What's the best Socket 775 CPU can I purchase?

Zaraki_Kenpachi linked me to a $100 Q9300 at Microcenter.

Is there something better than this for my money? Currently have a E2180 oc'ed to 3 GHz and only spent $400 on my build total a couple years ago.

:lol Reading this thread makes me feel bad what my parents and I use for normal computing. My parents still use Athlon XPs with Barton cores, and I upgraded my laptop's CPU to a Pentium M 2.13 GHz from 1.6 GHz just an year ago.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
claviertekky said:

Is there something better than this for my money? Currently have a E2180 oc'ed to 3 GHz and only spent $400 on my build total a couple years ago.
Eh. I'd wait for a full upgrade unless you run into something that you need a quad for.

Also:
Hyle @ [H said:
]All that will be covered in this will be "benchmarks." A full gaming performance article will follow.
:'[

claviertekky said:

:lol Reading this thread makes me feel bad what my parents and I use for normal computing. My parents still use Athlon XPs with Barton cores, and I upgraded my laptop's CPU to a Pentium M 2.13 GHz from 1.6 GHz just an year ago.

I don't think the Q9300 was that great, I think spec wise you'd get more out of a used Q6600 but of course it would be used. Q6600 is a lot better at overclocking also IIRC.

Edit: I agree with Hazaro, unless there's something you want to play that's chugging due to your dual core I'd hold off for total rebuild.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm wondering if I should go back to a 310 or 330 case for the Budget build instead of the 360.

Alternatively, remove the case all together and move it to a separate section under the builds.

clav

cartman414 said:
Plus aren't the Core 2 Quads still up there in price?
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

I plan to have all my future desktop CPU purchases to stay on AMD. I tried Intel once, and they fuck me over with pricing. The E2180 (and for people looking now the E5200) are attractive CPUs for their price point and overclocking capabilities.

Not to mention Intel wants to introduce downloadable unlockable core codes for their CPUs. Now that's some serious bullshit.

Eh. AMD has been behind Intel for ages now though. They may look like they're offering more for less, but it doesn't mean a thing when their CPUs do less with every clock cycle and core.

The Core i series has offered a far better value proposition by all accounts.

Grayman

Snakeyes said:
What are the advantages of nVidia vs ATI?
Generally you just want to go with price/performance in the range you want. nvidia has Physx effects in some games like Batman:AA (steam, breaking tiles, papers tussling along the floor) and Mirror's Edge(breaking glass and transparent curtain doors)

kamspy

So where does my Phenom II 955 stand against these new Intels? The only thing I use it for is gaming so increases in other programs don't really mean shit to me.

Snakeyes said:
What are the advantages of nVidia vs ATI?

Very roughly 1 in 15 games has unexplainable performance problems with ATI. In my experience at least. It got to where i had to google for ATI problems with a game before I'd buy it.

alright my Athlon 64+ 3000(Clawhammer) Main PC just crapped out on me(I dunno what broke yet, It could be a general failure.)
So I need Help. It's been five years since I've looked for new hardware for my main PC. So I need a little help on this new build.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: Athlon 64+ 3000 , 1gb ram, Asus nforce 3 mb, nvidia 6600gt card.
Budget: 800$ to 1000$ tops
Main Use: 3d animation(3ds max and motion builder), Light 3d rendering, Light Gaming(I game mostly on consoles but I need to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 on pc), general use.
Monitor Resolution: Will upgrade to a 1080p monitor down the road, but i have a 4:3 lcd screen as of this moment.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2
Are reusing any parts?: none
When will you build?: in a month
Will you be overclocking?: No

I also need windows 7 in this budget.

thanks

T-Matt

Hazaro said:
I'm wondering if I should go back to a 310 or 330 case for the Budget build instead of the 360.

Alternatively, remove the case all together and move it to a separate section under the builds.
A section that has cases in different price ranges would be useful I think.

Wallach said:
I actually didn't realize the MSRP was that high on the 300. I think I bought mine for $40 from Microcenter when I bought my i5-750 when they were selling it at some ridiculous price (even when they were newer).

Regarding the 690 II Advanced, have you had any problems with the front/top panel plugs not functioning correctly? I've been reading reviews before I actually get one of these shipped my way and I come across a fair number of complaints regarding the front USB 2.0 and audio ports. Ever experience anything like that?

Aside from that concern I can't see anything to dislike about it. The aesthetics are right up my alley and the design looks so damn smart. It looks like it definitely has a leg up in terms of cable management over the 300, and I like the 80mm slot that sits behind the CPU. I figure since I actually need to take the MB out of my 300 here when my new HSF arrives (boo to no backplate cutout on the 300) I should just go ahead and move the whole system into something new. I've also got 3 more 120mm CM fans coming, though I don't know if I have a 80mm lying around for that back CPU slot...
The revised 300s have a CPU cut-out and an SSD mount.

I know some CM Sniper owners were experiencing issues with their cases' fan controllers, but I've never experienced that front panel issue with the 690 II. The only case I can recall having a number of front panel complaints recently would be the Fractal Design Define R2. By most accounts Fractal has addressed that with the R3.

One of my PCs is housed in a 690 II and it does have an issue with the LED on/off button. It stopped working out of the blue (turns on, but doesn't hold in place). I think it was after the last time I removed the top panel, so I need to take a look at that. Even though I never turn on the light, it'd be good to know that everything is fully functional before the warranty expires.

SoulClap said:
I'm thinking of upgrading from a 1Gb 5770 to the GTX 570 and have a couple questions:

1) Do you guys think it's worth upgrading from my current card and do you see the card coming down in the price pretty soon?

2) I noticed the 570 has a Mini HDMI out. Could there be any issues using a HDMI to HDMI Mini adaptor?

3) Apparently the 570 can only power two displays as once. Is it still possible to connect three displays to to it and specify which two are active in the control panel?

Thanks for any help.
That's a considerable power upgrade. However, it's also a jump in heat, price and consumption. Unless, you really need the added power, you may be better served waiting until the end of January to see how the GTX 560/"570 SE" shapes up.

claviertekky said:
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

I plan to have all my future desktop CPU purchases to stay on AMD. I tried Intel once, and they fuck me over with pricing. The E2180 (and for people looking now the E5200) are attractive CPUs for their price point and overclocking capabilities.

Not to mention Intel wants to introduce downloadable unlockable core codes for their CPUs. Now that's some serious bullshit.
Link?
There have been paid feature unlocks, but locked cores will never fly. It's bad enough that they're trying to dictate what happens in the market by crippling SB overclocking. I don't see pay-to-play core unlocking being feasible.

Snakeyes

Hazaro said:
- Speaking of temperature, are liquid cooling systems worth it? They're supposedly very quiet and that's exactly what I'm looking for. Starting out I would not suggest a 120.3 system with dual GPUs

What do you mean by that? My system will not make much noise unless I have two GPUs in there?

By the way, are dual GPUs worth it? Seems like more of an enthusiast thing to me.

Sorry to be such a newb about all this but I really don't want to mess up :\

mantidor

I'm still undecided about upgrading from my 8800 GT. The reason I upgraded in the past was only to play the Homeworld games, but if I wait for Homeworld 3 I'll be waiting for a long, long time. will the 8800 get obsolete quickly? I still haven't found a game I like that I cannot run with decent settings, but you never know, I haven't paid much attention to what's happening in the card world.

kamspy

mantidor said:
I'm still undecided about upgrading from my 8800 GT. The reason I upgraded in the past was only to play the Homeworld games, but if I wait for Homeworld 3 I'll be waiting for a long, long time. will the 8800 get obsolete quickly? I still haven't found a game I like that I cannot run with decent settings, but you never know, I haven't paid much attention to what's happening in the card world.

I think the impending 560 GTX would be perfect timing x price. i would say 460, but you don't sound like you're in a hurry. The 8800 is a series of card we'll probably never see the likes of again. It's been the baseline for PC development for years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
·feist· said:
Link?
There have been paid feature unlocks, but locked cores will never fly. It's bad enough that they're trying to dictate what happens in the market by crippling SB overclocking. I don't see pay-to-play core unlocking being feasible.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/232672,intel-create-us50-dlc-for-the-pentium-g6951.aspx

Not sure if it's still going etc etc.

Also for those with tin foil hats, Sandy bridge does include a remote kill switch which is a little odd to say the least.

AkIRA_22

kamspy said:
So where does my Phenom II 955 stand against these new Intels? The only thing I use it for is gaming so increases in other programs don't really mean shit to me.

Very roughly 1 in 15 games has unexplainable performance problems with ATI. In my experience at least. It got to where i had to google for ATI problems with a game before I'd buy it.

I'd have to agree with this. Unfortunately. I have had a 8800GTS, 4850 and now a 5870 and the driver issues with ATI are a bit of an inconvenience. But they are not a decision making issue for me. The price/performance benefit of ATI, even with the 6970 being a iterative upgrade, is still in ATI's corner. Though it isn't by much, with the 460 and the inevitable 560 there is serious competition in the upper end of the mainstream.

I'd say the biggest deciding factors in making a GPU decision are;
1. COST
2. PERFORMANCE
3. POWER

99% of people don't use the features such as eyefinity and 3D, so those 'platform defining features' are fluff that the marketing department use.

Snakeyes said:
What do you mean by that? My system will not make much noise unless I have two GPUs in there?

By the way, are dual GPUs worth it? Seems like more of an enthusiast thing to me.

Ya, it's more enthusiast. It also can cause more problems than single card solutions. I would think a nice end single core will be fine, you don't need to get into SLI.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
cartman414 said:
Eh. AMD has been behind Intel for ages now though. They may look like they're offering more for less, but it doesn't mean a thing when their CPUs do less with every clock cycle and core.

The Core i series has offered a far better value proposition by all accounts.

I fail to see this. Intel always cost like $200 more than an AMD build. You pay more you get more. I don't see how it has a better value...

For someone just wanting to play games with say $500-600 like the build in the OP AMD offers what intel can't. Which is a nice budget system.

Jin34

Pctx said:
For those interested. Newegg and others will probably be getting these puppies in 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. depending on when Intel has shipped them.

I'm more of the thought they either have them already or are very close to having them seeing as some stores in asia are selling them already. I think it's mostly a matter of when Intel gives the green light.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SB reviews are meant to be due on the 5th and release date on the 9th. Going by early reports.

So hold out for another week and you should start to get legit reviews

Cipherr

evlcookie said:
SB reviews are meant to be due on the 5th and release date on the 9th. Going by early reports.

So hold out for another week and you should start to get legit reviews

Cant wait to see wide spread reviews for them. And hurrah for the new years thread.

Wallach

·feist· said:
The revised 300s have a CPU cut-out and an SSD mount.

I know some CM Sniper owners were experiencing issues with their cases' fan controllers, but I've never experienced that front panel issue with the 690 II. The only case I can recall having a number of front panel complaints recently would be the Fractal Design Define R2. By most accounts Fractal has addressed that with the R3.

One of my PCs is housed in a 690 II and it does have an issue with the LED on/off button. It stopped working out of the blue (turns on, but doesn't hold in place). I think it was after the last time I removed the top panel, so I need to take a look at that. Even though I never turn on the light, it'd be good to know that everything is fully functional before the warranty expires.

Oh, I didn't know the 300 got a revision already. I guess that is when they bumped up the MSRP?

Either way, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get one of these shipped. I've wanted one for a while now, but never had any decent excuse to do a case swap. I'll file this under "birthday presents to myself", maybe nobody will notice. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Snakeyes said:

120.3 just means a radiator for water cooling that is 3x120mmx120mm. It's the radiator size.

If you were serious about 'future proofing' as much as possible then you'd have to look into a dual GPU solution.
Doesn't matter since you'll be waiting till Q3 anyway. No point in fretting now.

Metalic Sand said:
I fail to see this. Intel always cost like $200 more than an AMD build. You pay more you get more. I don't see how it has a better value...

For someone just wanting to play games with say $500-600 like the build in the OP AMD offers what intel can't. Which is a nice budget system.

Touche.

They really suffer for anyone wanting a more serious gaming rig though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Bookerman said:
alright my Athlon 64+ 3000(Clawhammer) Main PC just crapped out on me(I dunno what broke yet, It could be a general failure.)
So I need Help. It's been five years since I've looked for new hardware for my main PC. So I need a little help on this new build.

thanks
2500K Sandy Bridge rig that I'll put up (I'll be buying one)

AkIRA_22

The Bookerman said:

thanks

Hazaro said:
2500K Sandy Bridge rig that I'll put up (I'll be buying one)

Oh yeah, SB should eat heavy production apps where pure clocks and core count are the king. Running in the high 3GHz as standard, four cores, over 1 billion transistors at 90watts. A i5-2500 + Mobo will run ~$US400, it should be affordable. Since your not talking enthusiast GPU requirements you can 'splurge' on the CPU.

Wallach said:
Oh, I didn't know the 300 got a revision already. I guess that is when they bumped up the MSRP?

Either way, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get one of these shipped. I've wanted one for a while now, but never had any decent excuse to do a case swap. I'll file this under "birthday presents to myself", maybe nobody will notice. :D
Strangely enough, no. Unless I missed something, the increase seemed random. Revised models were still going for $50-55 up until a few months ago. Interior paint, cable pass-throughs and air intakes do wonders for the 300.

Do you plan on filling the hdd cage in your new case? On the side panel, an 80mm fan would work best as an intake. Still, along with the fact that you're limited to 80x15 fans, I doubt you'd see much if any benefit from placing a fan there. Both of my panels are sealed.

ZZMitch

PC GAF,

what is usually considered an acceptable temperature for the various parts of a computer (ie CPU, GPU, Mobo)? Like what is the general consensus.

I just want to make sure I never go above those levels I guess so it would be nice to have numbers I could remember to stay below :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom