• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
evlcookie said:
It still somewhat is. I've had my 30GB SSD for i guess 1 year now and it's pretty much closing in on the end of it's life.

Having said that though there are things you can do to really extend the life of the drive and of course better controllers do a better job of wear and tear. Mine with the indilux controller should be doing better than it is but for some reason it isn't. Sandforce and intel controllers should offer around 1 write amplification, the sandforce is meant to be lower than that at around 0.5.

I would still recommend an SSD though for an OS drive, Anything more than that at the moment is a little bit of a waste. Keep an eye on the drives life % and if you notice it has dropped 10% in the first month then simply move your user folder off the drive and onto a mechanical one. That will be your biggest cause of excessive writes, the page file isn't a huge concern. Disable hybernation along with indexing and that should help extend the life even more.
How do you do this properly?

Wallach said:
Nah I'm only going to run a single HDD still. I have 3x120mm CM fans coming in along with the case (and a Hyper212+) but I'm not sure where I'll slot them yet.
In that case, definitely remove the lower half of the HDD cage. Depending on how you set things up you may only "need" one or two of those fans, if at all.

Trojita said:
I tried to overclock my Q9450 for my first time ever overclocking a processor. I only have the stock cooler so I wasn't sure how well this would go. I set the Clock to 3.0GHz and ran the Prime 95 stress test while I had CPU-Z and HMonitor open. My temps at idle were 50 Degrees C and while running the stress test the temperatures kept climbing, once one of my cores went up to 73 Degrees I shut off Prime 95 just in case. Looks like I'll need to get a new heatsink and cooler.

I reset my fsb settings to stock so that my processor was back to 2.664 GHZ. I ran the stress test again and one of the cores was slowly getting all the way to 76 Degrees Celsius before I shut the test down. Looks like the stock cooler does suck or something else is wrong :(
Most stock HSFs have a number of shortcomings, even at stock speed. Despite what some say overclocking on those low-profile coolers just isn't a good idea. Do yourself a favor and pick up a $25-30 Hyper 212+, or a $40 Mugen 2.

Lambtron said:
Maybe you guys can help me out. I have an old Dell machine that I bought about 4 years ago after my last home built machine crapped out. I recently was able to get some cheap RAM and a copy of Windows 7, so it's running okay (Athlon 64, I think 4200+?, 4GB of RAM). I don't really want to do a ton of gaming on it, but I have bought a few games in the Steam sale (The Witcher, FEAR 1 & 2) and I'd like to be able to play them competently. The videocard is a Radeon X1300 so I think I can probably upgrade that pretty easily.

The machine is slimline so I'd need a low profile card. The power supply is only 280 Watts so I don't think I have a ton of options here. Given the limited options I have, what's my best choice? I think that there were some GeForce and Radeon cards that came out a couple years ago that might work. I don't need anything great, like I said, but something that would maybe even let me limp through Crysis would be nice if possible. Any suggestions? My budget is super low, otherwise I'd just build a whole new machine.
You're at the point where a new build is your best option. At the present, you may be able to run a low-profile 5770, but doing so with a low speed, low cache dual-core, among other things, is not the way to go.

I'd budget for a new build.

asdad123

Hazaro said:
Fantastic! Keep GPU below 85C, CPU below 65C (both load).
Take some pictures, play some games!

Like I said before, nab a x4 955 if you wanted to extend the life of that computer.

It's not really worth the investment you'd be making imo.

OCed the CPU to 3.5GHz and it ran intel burn test perfectly stable. The max temp was 40C.

One thing thats weird though, temps are 15C or so lower than they are in bios? Its like that in every program I try (Real Temp, HwMonitor, SpeedFan) Any idea why? So technically my max temp could be 55C but thats still good right?

I would download some games from steam right now, but my internet is shit due to the snow storm we just got. 20kbps download... =/

evlcookie said:
It still somewhat is. I've had my 30GB SSD for i guess 1 year now and it's pretty much closing in on the end of it's life.

Having said that though there are things you can do to really extend the life of the drive and of course better controllers do a better job of wear and tear. Mine with the indilux controller should be doing better than it is but for some reason it isn't. Sandforce and intel controllers should offer around 1 write amplification, the sandforce is meant to be lower than that at around 0.5.

I would still recommend an SSD though for an OS drive, Anything more than that at the moment is a little bit of a waste. Keep an eye on the drives life % and if you notice it has dropped 10% in the first month then simply move your user folder off the drive and onto a mechanical one. That will be your biggest cause of excessive writes, the page file isn't a huge concern. Disable hybernation along with indexing and that should help extend the life even more.

Wow, how did that happen? I've had my Intel SSD (G2 Postville 80GB) for 11 months by now and I don't thing this thing dying in the next few years. Dunno how accurate CrystalDiskInfo is, but atleast it's saying 100% for the SSD.

Wallach

·feist· said:
In that case, definitely remove the lower half of the HDD cage. Depending on how you set things up you may only "need" one or two of those fans, if at all.

I might do that then run two of the 120s on the side panel and one on the bottom below the HDD cage area.

Edit - Actually I dunno about running both on the side panel because the second one seems a bit high for an intake.

AkIRA_22

Frankfurter said:
Wow, how is that? I've had my Intel SSD (G2 Postville 80GB) for 11 months by now and I don't thing this thing dying in the next few years. Dunno how accurate CrystalDiskInfo is, but atleast it's saying 100% for the SSD.

It could be a cheaper first gen SSD, no TRIM = shorter life, sad but true. 12 months seems short though. evlcookie you might want to see in there is a firmware update for your SSD that introduced TRIM, it's a long shot but it could be out there, all for the bargain basement price of a quick google. If there isn't an update, formatting your SSD and start again, it takes about an hour and should return your Boot times and responsiveness back to normal. obviously back it up, it shouldn't be too hard finding 30GB of free space on another HDD.

PC GAF:

I come bearing some advice. If you ever have problems with stuttering in old games, such as Hitman 2 and Splinter Cell, always try setting your processor core affinity to just one core. It works wonders.

Right now the SandForce SSDs (namely OCZ and Crucial) are tops from what I read, but the next generation will certainly change things. Hope these rumors about a PCIe SSD consortium are true.

I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than an 80 GB, due to speed.

So the 2600K may not be worth the cost right now, but is there any possibility it would be more futureproof? Or would you want to upgrade to something faster anyways when the use for more cores, physical or virtual, becomes more prominent?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hazaro said:
I was under the assumption that older (first gen) SSD's had some issues, but the wave of second generation nearly fixed just about everything. Third generations (Coming out Q1 2011) from both Intel and Sandforce will be even better at controlling smart writes and TRIM.

This i guess is a 2nd generation controller. The first was a name that escapes me but they sucked. Indilux were the first (or at lest one of them) to bring trim and GC to the SSD market. Sandforce and intel then improved upon that and included trim, intels original stuff i think still doesn't support it.

darkpaladinmfc said:
How do you do this properly?

I always do it right after a fresh install and whenever all the apps are sorted out. These are the steps you need to do. You can ignore the system restore actually but it's there if you wish to use it - http://pastebin.com/uLxbnFFJ

Frankfurter said:
Wow, how did that happen? I've had my Intel SSD (G2 Postville 80GB) for 11 months by now and I don't thing this thing dying in the next few years. Dunno how accurate CrystalDiskInfo is, but atleast it's saying 100% for the SSD.

No freaking idea how it happened. I think maybe it's just dodgy nand. I'm down to about 20 - 30% life at the moment, with the user folder moved though the % barely moves. So it isn't "really" on it's last legs, with the folder moved it should last a few more years. Essentially how it should be i guess.

AkIRA_22 said:
It could be a cheaper first gen SSD, no TRIM = shorter life, sad but true. 12 months seems short though. evlcookie you might want to see in there is a firmware update for your SSD that introduced TRIM, it's a long shot but it could be out there, all for the bargain basement price of a quick google. If there isn't an update, formatting your SSD and start again, it takes about an hour and should return your Boot times and responsiveness back to normal. obviously back it up, it shouldn't be too hard finding 30GB of free space on another HDD.

Trim is enabled and it's on the latest firmware. I actually had a strange firmware bug that would kill my system after ~ 1 month of use with read errors all over the place. Is fixed now though :D

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
Download CPU-Z (it is in the OP) and upload your results. (About-> Tools -> Validation) http://valid.canardpc.com/
Here you go: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1561200.

From what I can tell online it looks like a GeForce 9600 is the best card I can run in this machine. I honestly know jack and shit about videocards now though. The last time I cared was when I bought a Radeon 9700 for the machine I built myself for college haha.

·feist· said:
You're at the point where a new build is your best option. At the present, you may be able to run a low-profile 5770, but doing so with a low speed, low cache dual-core, among other things, is not the way to go.

Wallach said:
I might do that then run two of the 120s on the side panel and one on the bottom below the HDD cage area.

Edit - Actually I dunno about running both on the side panel because the second one seems a bit high for an intake.
The top side panel instal really only makes sense of you have a down-firing HSF. Your case cools well enough in stock form that you should just try it like that initially to see how temps are during idle, normal use, and load. Keep in mind, a side panel fan will add to noise levels and likely need noise dampening of some sort (rubber or silicon mounts, for instance) to reduce resonance.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
·feist· said:

I realize that a new build is my best option, but it's not financially feasible at the moment (nor will it be for some time), and for everything other than the tiny bit of gaming I'd like to do this machine currently suits my needs. I don't need outstanding gaming performance just the ability to game period. My card is a pile of shit, and I realize I can't put something state of the art in here. I just don't understand why that upgrade isn't worth the $50 or $60 or whatever? That's what I'm not grasping.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lambtron said:
I realize that a new build is my best option, but it's not financially feasible at the moment (nor will it be for some time), and for everything other than the tiny bit of gaming I'd like to do this machine currently suits my needs. I don't need outstanding gaming performance just the ability to game period. My card is a pile of shit, and I realize I can't put something state of the art in here. I just don't understand why that upgrade isn't worth the $50 or $60 or whatever? That's what I'm not grasping.
Fair enough, you can probably get what you want out of a low profile 8600GT or 9600GT. Keep in mind low profile or 'green' cards also have slower clock speeds and sometimes use slower GDDR. DO NOT buy a GDDR2 version if there is a GDDR3 version, etc.

Wallach

·feist· said:
The top side panel instal really only makes sense of you have a down-firing HSF. Your case cools well enough in stock form that you should just try it like that initially to see how temps are during idle, normal use, and load. Keep in mind, a side panel fan will add to noise levels and likely need noise dampening of some sort (rubber or silicon mounts, for instance) to reduce resonance.

Yeah, I have some rubber fittings for vibration and a fan filter if I want to mount on the side panels. What I might do instead is only use the lower side panel as an intake, drop one in the bottom under the HDD cage and put the other on the opposite side of the Hyper212+.

Cipherr

FoxSpirit said:
I'm still too weray of life issues with SSDs.

I know its been said a thousand times. But its no longer generation 1 of Solid State Drives. This worry is long gone. It was legitimate at a time, but it has passed, and we are stuck with the phantom memory of SSD's with short lifespans. This is no longer the case.

Lambtron said:
Between your PC's form factor and limitations of certain components (like the PSU) you're in a tough spot. Unless you come across a great sale on compatible low-profile cards, you can try Ebay, GAF buy/sell/trade thread and other reputable sources for used GPUs so as to keep the cost to an absolute minimum. Try what Hazaro mentioned. Alternatively, you should be able to find an entry level ATI 5000 series.

Unfortunately, the 9600 GT is a bit pricey for what it is.

9600 GT v 3870
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9600-gt,1780-13.html
http://www.techspot.com/article/88-geforce-9600gt-versus-radeon-hd3870/page4.html

I think you mentioned being ok with very low settings so you should be able to get by until you're in a more comfortable position to move on.

Wallach said:
Yeah, I have some rubber fittings for vibration and a fan filter if I want to mount on the side panels. What I might do instead is only use the lower side panel as an intake, drop one in the bottom under the HDD cage and put the other on the opposite side of the Hyper212+.
Try and keep your HSF fans the same. The case floor fan position next to the PSU should do a better job of feeding your GPU. You can move the 140mm intake to either a low position or keep it stock depending on what works best for you. That same intake area can house dual 120mm fans or a single 200mm intake as well.

XTERC

Arghh... there's not enough pictures of our handcrafted mean machines, so I figured I'd contribute...

hafi7.jpg

Lambtron said:

Do you have a link to the card you found? I'm assuming you're still on AGP?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you have a link to the card you found? I'm assuming you're still on AGP?
Actually my board supports PCI-E. I was just looking for Radeons, and I found this low profile 5570. $54.99 shipped after MIR. Poking around, it looks like it may work with my machine. Now to find reviews!

Lambtron said:
Actually my board supports PCI-E. I was just looking for Radeons, and I found this low profile 5570. $54.99 shipped after MIR. Poking around, it looks like it may work with my machine. Now to find reviews!

When looking at reviews just remember you probably won't get those FPS since you just have a shitty dual core and they have i7s on newer reviews. Maybe you can overclock the processor also if you want to stretch it.

Smokey

2zny39v.jpg

23sgaop.jpg

eqcl78.jpg

This is what I'm rocking right now and have been using for the past 2 years
:lol :lol :lol

Just curious on a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor), just HOW BAD is this machine? :(

Going to be moving to this machine around the time of Crysis 2 launch:

CASE: NZXT Phantom
CPU: i7 2600k
CPU COOLER: Coolermaster V8
MotherBoard: TBD
RAM: 8GB
GRAPHICS : nvidia SLI 570/580 (depending on the market at the time)
SSD: 128GB of the new SSDs
HDD : 1 TB
PSU : Corsair 1000w

I'll be getting the bolded for much cheaper (or free) from my uncle who is an engineer and has access to these parts. They are currently testing SB chips now.

I eventually want to use 3D surround with this setup hence the reason for the SLI 570/580. I've been looking at the 3D monitors that are currently on the market now, and it seems the Alienware is the best...although pricey. Hopefully by March it will come down a bit, or there will be superior options available.

Going all the fuck out for my return to PC gaming. So glad I didn't dive in last summer. Crysis 2 has pretty much been my target date to get this machine so when it was delayed, so was my purchase of the beast.

Hope it's worth it:D

Wallach

·feist· said:
Try and keep your HSF fans the same. The case floor fan position next to the PSU should do a better job of feeding your GPU. You can move the 140mm intake to either a low position or keep it stock depending on what works best for you. That same intake area can house dual 120mm fans or a single 200mm intake as well.

I'll take a look at it when it's actually here I guess. I can always remove the 120mm that comes with the HSF and just use two of the matching fans that are coming separately for that and figure out where to put the others. The one fan I'm putting on the bottom I was planning to put as close to the underside of the GPU as possible, I just can't tell how close I can actually get to the PSU. Doesn't seem like two fans there would be worthwhile, so I figure one of them might as well go on the side panel as the back exhaust and top exhaust are already filled (and I don't think a second top exhaust would be very useful).

Smokey said:
This is what I'm rocking right now and have been using for the past 2 years
:lol :lol :lol

Just curious on a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor), just HOW BAD is this machine? :(

Going to be moving to this machine around the time of Crysis 2 launch:

CASE: NZXT Phantom
CPU: i7 2600k
CPU COOLER: Coolermaster V8
MotherBoard: TBD
RAM: 8GB
GRAPHICS : nvidia SLI 570/580 (depending on the market at the time)
SSD: 128GB of the new SSDs
HDD : 1 TB
PSU : Corsair 1000w

I'll be getting the bolded for much cheaper (or free) from my uncle who is an engineer and has access to these parts. They are currently testing SB chips now.

I eventually want to use 3D surround with this setup hence the reason for the SLI 570/580. I've been looking at the 3D monitors that are currently on the market now, and it seems the Alienware is the best...although pricey. Hopefully by March it will come down a bit, or there will be superior options available.

Going all the fuck out for my return to PC gaming. So glad I didn't dive in last summer. Crysis 2 has pretty much been my target date to get this machine so when it was delayed, so was my purchase of the beast.

Hope it's worth it:D

Not great... Have you played any games on it? It seems pretty much the same specs as my macbook pro and only plays so well.

Smokey

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not great... Have you played any games on it? It seems pretty much the same specs as my macbook pro and only plays so well.

not really. my default thinking is shit won't run on it unless it's an old ass game.

i've missed out on a lot of games and superiority of the PC (for the most part) of multi-platorm titles. Not to mention the lot of games that aren't available on consoles.

Smokey said:
not really. my default thinking is shit won't run on it unless it's an old ass game.

i've missed out on a lot of games and superiority of the PC (for the most part) of multi-platorm titles. Not to mention the lot of games that aren't available on consoles.

Ya, you get the source engine games running on medium but it's not exactly great for modern games.

Snakeyes said:
Don't think this was answered so I'll ask again.

It should be ok, but it depends on what card you want and how much clearance it has from one end until it hits the hard drive bay. Why do you want dual GPUs?

Jin34

Snakeyes said:
Don't think this was answered so I'll ask again.

It says it has around 290mm of space for a card which is like 11.4 inches so it depends on the card. 6900 series is out of the question. Not sure about the length of the 570/580. Everything else is fine though.

Smokey

Snakeyes said:
Future-proofing.

From what I've gathered it's usually better to go with a single card solution unless you are trying to play at very high resolutions or want to run a 3d setup in the future (which is what I want to do).

Otherwise it'd probably be better to buy a nice card now and upgrade it a few generations down the road.

TheExodu5

Banned
Snakeyes said:
Future-proofing.

Don't dual-GPU for futureproofing. Dual-GPU if you want insane speeds now. Future proofing is far better accomplished by putting that money towards a new card in 2 generations time.

Going SLI/Crossfire is honestly only a proposition that hardware enthusiasts should get into.

I'm considering it for my next setup, for the sake of pulling off ridiculous framerates, but I'm also very aware that the money on that second GPU would also be probably far better spent on a new GPU in 1-2 years time.

Pachael

In between waiting for SB, new controllers for the next gen SSDs, and thinking about the 600-900 budget. Be back in a month to re-report.

Snakeyes said:
I see. It'll probably take a while before I'm able to make an educated decision for a gaming PC by myself :lol

It honestly all makes a lot more sense after you build your first system. I went overboard on some stuff for my first build but it isn't all bad since you understand what each part did and what you didn't use and helps you get an idea of what you're looking for in your machine.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
When looking at reviews just remember you probably won't get those FPS since you just have a shitty dual core and they have i7s on newer reviews. Maybe you can overclock the processor also if you want to stretch it.
Yeah, I've noticed that. No one's reviewing it with as shitty a processor as I have! One "good" thing for me is that my monitors are only 1280 x 1024 so I'm fine cranking down the resolution to a lot of the lower areas they were showing. I could look into OCing my processor and my card, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be with my shitass Dell mobo. I guess the board will support up to a Athlon 64 X2 6000+, but I'm not sure I want to drop ~$100 on a new processor for this. Don't know if the gains would be worth it.

Lambtron said:
Yeah, I've noticed that. No one's reviewing it with as shitty a processor as I have! One "good" thing for me is that my monitors are only 1280 x 1024 so I'm fine cranking down the resolution to a lot of the lower areas they were showing. I could look into OCing my processor and my card, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be with my shitass Dell mobo. I guess the board will support up to a Athlon 64 X2 6000+, but I'm not sure I want to drop ~$100 on a new processor for this. Don't know if the gains would be worth it.

Upgrading to another dual core is an absolute waste and I forgot your PSU is shit. I would almost say you have to upgrade the PSU if you get a new card or be really careful that you definitely have enough power to power it reliably.

Lambtron said:
You absolutely do not want to spend money on a CPU upgrade for that board. If you had it to spare an Athlon X4 would be the bare minimum you'd want to look at.

Wallach said:
I'll take a look at it when it's actually here I guess. I can always remove the 120mm that comes with the HSF and just use two of the matching fans that are coming separately for that and figure out where to put the others. The one fan I'm putting on the bottom I was planning to put as close to the underside of the GPU as possible, I just can't tell how close I can actually get to the PSU. Doesn't seem like two fans there would be worthwhile, so I figure one of them might as well go on the side panel as the back exhaust and top exhaust are already filled (and I don't think a second top exhaust would be very useful).
The 212+'s stock fan is fairly good (some find it to be loud). Worth trying that first since you normally only want to go with multiple fans if you have a high overclock and/or if you want to spin two fans slowly to maintain low noise levels, but the cooling of a faster single fan.

Post pics when you're done.

Wow, Smokey, you're hooked up! Or will be.

I guess you'll want some extra external storage down the line.

BTW, what are general musts for mobo features (i. e. USB3, SATA6, etc.) in general?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So how do people handle having tons of fans in there system? My MB only has like 3-4 spots for fans 1 being the CPU fan. Hook it up to the PSU with molex? Doesn't that make the fan speed %100 all the time though? hmmm.

Trying to figure out what im going to do as my case will have 6 fans. 4 chassis 2 CPU.

Jin34

·feist· said:
The 212+'s stock fan is fairly good (some find it to be loud). Worth trying that first since you normally only want to go with multiple fans if you have a high overclock and/or if you want to spin two fans slowly to maintain low noise levels, but the cooling of a faster single fan.

Post pics when you're done.

How do you guys apply the paste on exposed heat pipe coolers? It looks simple enough on the tutorials but when you actually have to do it and see how thick the artic silver 5 is it can be quite difficult :lol

cartman414 said:
Wow, Smokey, you're hooked up! Or will be.

I guess you'll want some extra external storage down the line.

BTW, what are general musts for mobo features (i. e. USB3, SATA6, etc.) in general?

USB3 and Sata 6Gb/s are both must in my mind. Even if you can't utilize them yet, it's been out long enough that it's standard on most boards so there's no reason not to get it.

Metalic Sand said:
So how do people handle having tons of fans in there system? My MB only has like 3-4 spots for fans 1 being the CPU fan. Hook it up to the PSU with molex? Doesn't that make the fan speed %100 all the time though? hmmm.

Trying to figure out what im going to do as my case will have 6 fans. 4 chassis 2 CPU.

2 CPU fans? And yes, unless you get a little thing to put between connections it will run the fan at one speed. You can buy a dial to go in between to manually change if you really want to...

Jin34 said:
How do you guys apply the paste on exposed heat pipe coolers? It looks simple enough on the tutorials but when you actually have to do it and see how thick the artic silver 5 is it can be quite difficult :lol

What do you mean? Same as any other CPU cooler unless I'm misunderstanding something. Make a straight line of thermal paste down the middle of the CPU. You can find pictures online of what it should look like.

Metalic Sand said:
I ordered a Hyper 212+ that comes on friday. Figured why not have 2 fans on that.

Had to buy a bigger case just to fit it :lol. Other case i felt was too tight.

Is there a reason you're trying to add a bunch of fans?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there a reason you're trying to add a bunch of fans?

1 back, 1 top, 1 front, 1 side, 2 fans on CPU. Doesn't seem like alot?

I plan to overclock and unlock my 4th core which i know is stable but i need to keep it cool.

Metalic Sand said:
1 back, 1 top, 1 front, 1 side, 2 fans on CPU. Doesn't seem like alot?

I plan to overclock and unlock my 4th core which i know is stable but i need to keep it cool.

I've never had a problem overclocking with one CPU fan but it is up to you. I just don't think heat will be as big of a problem as you seem to think it is for just overclocking an x3.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've never had a problem overclocking with one CPU fan but it is up to you. I just don't think heat will be as big of a problem as you seem to think it is for just overclocking an x3.

I may just stick to 1 at first then and see how it goes.

Metalic Sand said:
I may just stick to 1 at first then and see how it goes.

You should be able to run them all, it just seems like you're causing more problems for yourself than necessary if you don't have a heat issue. All the fans I see on newegg just just the 4 pin molex connector so you'd just have to plug into that with a speed controller if you want to be able to change fan speed.

Retrofluxed

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my "upgrade" parts. I should use the term upgrade loosely, as the only thing I'm keeping is my case (Cooler Master Storm Sniper). I was going to wait for the AMD Bulldozer line, but in the world of computers, you can wait forever. Anywho, this is what I went with:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (CAS 7)
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair 850HX PSU
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 60GB SSD (boot drive)
x2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD (in Raid 0)
x2 AMD 6970

Early 2012 is when I'll upgrade to the AM3+ line with a Bulldozer chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom