• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Alright, I installed a Scythe Big Shuriken on a Phenom II X4 955BE, and I'm actually getting temps that are slightly hotter than the stock cooler. Why? Is this fan bought normally for quietness (which is quiet as hell, it only spins at around 1500 rpm under load), or should it actually cool better than the stock AMD fan? I ran prime95 and I actually hit 70 for the first time ever.

Also, what could I have possibly done wrong in installing it?

I've got one on a 965BE, and I had bad temps when I applied too much thermal paste. Reapplied, idles @ 30C, maxes out around 55C, but it's on a test bench, not an enclosed case.

I was going through some old machines downstairs that haven't been used for some time

9e.jpg

Never seen a PSU or CPU fan like that

nara

Banned
:D

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
Intel Core i5-2500K
Corsair H60
Samsung SH-222AB
Logitech K800
Asus VE278Q
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Logitech G700
Corsair AX850
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Intel 510 Series 120GB SATA III (Soon)
MSI R6950 2GB
MSI R6950 2GB

my build is donee

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Meus Renaissance said:
For those with a 2500k, how long does it take to render a 1min (or 30 second) 720p clip? Cite the bit-rate you tested it
Every benchmark/review should do encoding tests. Check the OP for the sites and check the differences out.

Anandtech Bench is a good start and you can also look at their full 2500K/2600K review.

Ezahn said:
Thanks again, I'll do that.
As for the psu: do you feel that a Corsair TX650 v2 should be ok for a 580?
Oh yeah, didn't come across my mind to confirm that.

Chinner

Banned
Would you guys say its worth building a pc now for BF3 and playing some sweet pc games in the mean time (DE3, Witcher 2 etc) or just waiting it out till September?

vilmer_

Ordered some RAM yesterday in hopes it would come sometime today to get this build going but it looks like it won't be here until Monday as it was shipped internationally from New Jersey.

2011-06-10 12:55 AM Left via METRO NY TERMINAL depot

:(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chinner said:
Would you guys say its worth building a pc now for BF3 and playing some sweet pc games in the mean time (DE3, Witcher 2 etc) or just waiting it out till September?
The only thing coming out until then is Bulldozer and I can't see it being much better than what Intel is offering right now, so it is a great time to build.

Izayoi

Banned
Still blue screening. Ughhhh. I think it might be my SSD, but I'm still not 100% positive.

This is really frustrating.

(._.)

Banned
So my new PC is completely up and I think I'm ready to start moving everything over. Already installed my essential programs and I think everything is ok. Read the Op and have the SSD all set up properly. This thing is so damn fast.

Before I do though is there anything I should know about the 2tb HDD in the system? I made a quick NTFS volume through the manage window. Both drives are now showing under my computer.

Thanks a bunch to everybody who helped me in the last thread pertaining to my new computer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can someone recommend a laptop for up to $300 that can do some 3D decently? Not so much for the latest games but something that could do a 3D model with autocad and then render it without taking all day. All I've seen at that price range is stuff like this which seem halfway decent but would likely be slow for such things. If there are no laptops that are significantly better then are there cheaper ones of similar quality or at least slightly better yet same price laptops?

Thaedolus

Hazaro said:
So many lucky people! What cooler is that?

Thermalright Venomous X. A bit pricey but the 212 was out of stock and it works great. Kind of a pain in the ass to install, but that was partially my fault.

I don't understand this... don't most computers POST on the first try?

With all the steps to building a computer, and considering how infrequently I do it, it's easy to miss one. Or have a bad component. I'm just used to needing to go back and troubleshoot when I first power on. In this case I was very slow and deliberate as I built and I guess I didn't miss anything :)

squicken

I'll say this for Cooler Master: they have pretty impressive customer support. I tried to live chat last night, not realizing it was after hours. I closed it down but left my contact info. I got a couple emails, and when that didn't resolve things, they actually called me.

Guy told me when I get my replacement to just put as much pressure as I can on the screws to get them in the standoffs. Said that they would replace anything I might break in doing so, including CPU or motherboard. I gotta say that is above and beyond what I would ever anticipate a company doing.

But otherwise, I actually feel a little sense of accomplishment. I swapped out everything into a new case, and move my CPU to a new motherboard. Pushed power button and everything worked. Damn AMD stock fan is still loud as hell though :(

ok, please help! I was playing the Witcher and when i beat the game it crashed to blue screen and says something nvid error, driver error? When I reset the computer it does not recognize my 8800GT video card... Is the graphics card dead? I looked at the graphics card in my computer and the fans boot up fine like normal and looks like its alive. I tried reinstalling the latest nvidia driver, reset, and still same!

Can anyone recommend a video card? It needs to be PCI-e, DX11 and around $150. A friend recommended a 5850, but the only ones I can find in stock are $250+. I'm currently running a Phenom II X6 with 8GBs of RAM and it seems there's some bottlenecking with my 6570. I can't even run The Witcher 2 on Medium. D:

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
The Broken Ska Record said:
Can anyone recommend a video card? It needs to be PCI-e, DX11 and around $150. A friend recommended a 5850, but the only ones I can find in stock are $250+. I'm currently running a Phenom II X6 with 8GBs of RAM and it seems there's some bottlenecking with my 6570. I can't even run The Witcher 2 on Medium. D:

Your 6570 is a huge bottleneck especially if you're trying to play The Witcher 2.

I suggest getting a 6850 or a gtx 460.

You can also check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935.html

Aselith

momolicious said:
ok, please help! I was playing the Witcher and when i beat the game it crashed to blue screen and says something nvid error, driver error? When I reset the computer it does not recognize my 8800GT video card... Is the graphics card dead? I looked at the graphics card in my computer and the fans boot up fine like normal and looks like its alive. I tried reinstalling the latest nvidia driver, reset, and still same!

Sounds like a corrupted driver maybe. You might reboot in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper to make sure you start clean and THEN install the latest drivers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Izayoi said:
Still blue screening. Ughhhh. I think it might be my SSD, but I'm still not 100% positive.

This is really frustrating.
:'[ If I knew how to help I would.
(._.) said:
So my new PC is completely up and I think I'm ready to start moving everything over. Already installed my essential programs and I think everything is ok. Read the Op and have the SSD all set up properly. This thing is so damn fast.

Before I do though is there anything I should know about the 2tb HDD in the system? I made a quick NTFS volume through the manage window. Both drives are now showing under my computer.

Thanks a bunch to everybody who helped me in the last thread pertaining to my new computer.
You good. Set page file to the HDD.
mcrae said:
so i have this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128406

i currently have F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2Gbx2 of 1600 ddr3) installed.
my friend gave me this: 3x 4gb of 1066 ddr3

what should i do? just 2x4gb? 3x4gb? 2x2gb+2x4gb?

im kinda clueless.
2x2GB + 2x4GB if you can actually use it. I'd just run 2x4GB.
Alextended said:
Can someone recommend a laptop for up to $300 that can do some 3D decently? Not so much for the latest games but something that could do a 3D model with autocad and then render it without taking all day.
That seems like a stretch. Ask the laptop thread (its in the OP).
squicken said:
I'll say this for Cooler Master: they have pretty impressive customer support. I tried to live chat last night, not realizing it was after hours. I closed it down but left my contact info. I got a couple emails, and when that didn't resolve things, they actually called me.

Guy told me when I get my replacement to just put as much pressure as I can on the screws to get them in the standoffs. Said that they would replace anything I might break in doing so, including CPU or motherboard. I gotta say that is above and beyond what I would ever anticipate a company doing.

But otherwise, I actually feel a little sense of accomplishment. I swapped out everything into a new case, and move my CPU to a new motherboard. Pushed power button and everything worked. Damn AMD stock fan is still loud as hell though :(
I told you to force the damn thing down!
The Broken Ska Record said:
GTX 460 1GB no question. Then clock it to the moon.

mcrae

so ive got this card: 6970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150517&cm_re=6970-_-14-150-517-_-Product

and it says power connections: 6 pin 8 pin does that mean i need to connect both a 6pin and 8 pin from my power supply? my current psu only has a 6pin that will fit. the 8pin that it does have, doesnt fit. do i need to buy a new psu?

Edit: it actually has 2 6 pins. Either one fits on both sides of the 8 pin slot. When I boot it up my motherboard beeps and turns a light on, in either of the positions. One time I tried it smoke came out and I smelled burning
opps
but after that it booted up fine but wouldn't display anything on screen. Now its back to just beeping/light. Its not actually a beep, just one really high pitch constant note.

Did I just ruin 400$?

n0n44m

mcrae said:
so ive got this card: 6970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150517&cm_re=6970-_-14-150-517-_-Product

and it says power connections: 6 pin 8 pin does that mean i need to connect both a 6pin and 8 pin from my power supply? my current psu only has a 6pin that will fit. the 8pin that it does have, doesnt fit. do i need to buy a new psu?

Edit: it actually has 2 6 pins. Either one fits on both sides of the 8 pin slot. When I boot it up my motherboard beeps and turns a light on, in either of the positions. One time I tried it smoke came out and I smelled burning
opps
but after that it booted up fine but wouldn't display anything on screen. Now its back to just beeping/light. Its not actually a beep, just one really high pitch constant note.

Did I just ruin 400$?

if smoke comes out you certainly ruined something

pciepinout8fz5.jpg

if you say the 6 pin fits on both side of the 8 pin slot, you must have forced it somewhere because it should only fit on 1 side

yeah actually the 6 and 8 pin both have 3 +12v pins, and either 3 or 5 ground pins. If you really forced the 6 pin on the wrong side of the 8 pin connector on the card, there would have been a +12v pin in a ground pin on the card shorting something out ... in that case it's fried for sure

RS4-

mcrae said:
so i have this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128406

i currently have F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2Gbx2 of 1600 ddr3) installed.
my friend gave me this: 3x 4gb of 1066 ddr3

what should i do? just 2x4gb? 3x4gb? 2x2gb+2x4gb?

im kinda clueless.

2x4. Your mobo doesn't do triple channel (you could stick all three sticks your friend gave you anyway).

Long story short, just stick with 2x4. Popping in the three sticks might cause you problems

mcrae

n0n44m said:
if smoke comes out you certainly ruined something

pciepinout8fz5.jpg

if you say the 6 pin fits on both side of the 8 pin slot, you must have forced it somewhere because it should only fit on 1 side

yeah actually the 6 and 8 pin both have 3 +12v pins, and either 3 or 5 ground pins. If you really forced the 6 pin on the wrong side of the 8 pin connector on the card, there would have been a +12v pin in a ground pin on the card shorting something out ... in that case it's fried for sure

hmm, looks like i did force it in the wrong side... i even triple checked before doing it... goes to show you never mess around with expensive stuff at 5 am after a 20 hour day under the desk without enough light. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... at least i didn't pay for the card

arotator

Neo Member
Question:

I've never installed a graphics card powerful enough to require its own power. The 560ti requires two 6 pin connectors from the PSU. My PSU is actually supplied with a 6 and a 6+2 (I realize I just leave the +2 unplugged) but EVGA also supplied me with two 6 pin adapters. Which should I use? I assume either pair would work?

There is a slight difference between the two, the EVGA supplied 6 pin has a hollow point in the top middle row, the two from my PSU don't -- that is the only concern I have.

MSIMagus

Neo Member
Arggg I need to stop looking at this topic. I am still trying to hold off on building a PC till closer to Winter/Diablo 3(whichever comes first)and looking here all the time does not help :)

vilmer_

MSIMagus said:
Arggg I need to stop looking at this topic. I am still trying to hold off on building a PC till closer to Winter/Diablo 3(whichever comes first)and looking here all the time does not help :)

Right now is a perfect time to upgrade too ;)

RS4-

TheExodu5 said:
So the SATA 2 ports on my orignal P67 (non revised) board just died. Guess laziness doesn't pay off.

lol :(

Asus or whoever vendor you have, they'll still honor it I hope!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
arotator said:
Question:

I've never installed a graphics card powerful enough to require its own power. The 560ti requires two 6 pin connectors from the PSU. My PSU is actually supplied with a 6 and a 6+2 (I realize I just leave the +2 unplugged) but EVGA also supplied me with two 6 pin adapters. Which should I use? I assume either pair would work?

There is a slight difference between the two, the EVGA supplied 6 pin has a hollow point in the top middle row, the two from my PSU don't -- that is the only concern I have.
PSU PCI-E cables. They are more specced to draw the higher loads than slamming all that power over molex.
TheExodu5 said:
So the SATA 2 ports on my orignal P67 (non revised) board just died. Guess laziness doesn't pay off.
Sucks but at least those 4 hours to replace my B3 were not in vain!
Did you get one of those free PCI-E SATA cards or is there no room for you and you are stuck? I only run 2 HDD's myself.
MSIMagus said:
Now is a great time to build and if you are on a budget the OP build is not really going to drop a ton.

Daggith

Neo Member
Looking forward to BF3 and thinking about upgrading my PC.

Current specs are:
nforce 750i SLI FTW mobo
Intel e8400 @ 3.0 ghz
Geforce 8800gt
Corsair TX 750W psu
2x2gb ram - gskill DDR2 1066

I don't really want to upgrade everything at once right now, so I was wondering if a hefty upgrade in a gpu would make much of a difference, or if the e8400 would hold it back. If I were to upgrade my cpu, I would want to get a new mobo as well, as I've had weird problems over the years with various things. Basically, I would like to upgrade everything eventually.
Do you guys think a new gpu be a nice increase in performance? Or would I really need a new cpu as well and should just hold back to upgrade everything at once? Also, I'm an overclocking noob. I realize I could get more out of the e8400, but I don't really have the patience to deal with it right now.

Aselith said:
Sounds like a corrupted driver maybe. You might reboot in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper to make sure you start clean and THEN install the latest drivers.

ok, I ran Driver sweeper and said there was some error in removing or something. I did it in safe mode. It didnt matter as i manually deleted the drivers from the remove apps section. Now im still getting the blue screen error and says error with video driver file nv4_mini.sys. There is artifacts on startup when loading dell screen.

EDIT: I deleted the drivers manually through safe mode. When i reset it still has the artifacts on the dell loadup screen! what is wrong?! so is it not really a driver problem but my 8800GT is defected because of The Witcher??

dakilla13

Daggith said:
Looking forward to BF3 and thinking about upgrading my PC.

Current specs are:
nforce 750i SLI FTW mobo
Intel e8400 @ 3.0 ghz
Geforce 8800gt
Corsair TX 750W psu
2x2gb ram - gskill DDR2 1066

I don't really want to upgrade everything at once right now, so I was wondering if a hefty upgrade in a gpu would make much of a difference, or if the e8400 would hold it back. If I were to upgrade my cpu, I would want to get a new mobo as well, as I've had weird problems over the years with various things. Basically, I would like to upgrade everything eventually.
Do you guys think a new gpu be a nice increase in performance? Or would I really need a new cpu as well and should just hold back to upgrade everything at once? Also, I'm an overclocking noob. I realize I could get more out of the e8400, but I don't really have the patience to deal with it right now.

I think if you are upgrading for BF3/Skyrim/other Fall games, its would be better to wait for the 28nm cards which should be releasing around the same time. If you can't wait, I would upgrade to a 2500k platform and upgrade the GPU later when the new ones come out.

Grinchy

Banned
UCywo.jpg

I'm thinking about buying the Antec Skeleton case whenever I see a good deal on it. My reason for wanting it is future upgrading. It seems like this case makes it really simple to tinker with the insides, and I like the look of it too.

Anyone have impressions or know anything bad about this case?

Ok, I dont understand, I did manual removal of drivers, then I did driver sweeper in safe mode. I reset the computer and still same artifacting on dell/windows boot screens... So its not a driver problem even though the blue screen says nv4 driver error? Would that mean its just my graphics card is dead even though the fan shows its running?

EDIT: driver sweeper -> reinstall driver = same thing. 8800gt isnt being recognized or something even though the computer can read the device connected is 8800GT. Im guessing the graphics card is alive but defective now?

Smokey

Ploid 3.0 said:
The longer you hold off on building a pc the better. Better parts, cheaper, better game selection, and cheaper games.

Huh?

You can't wait forever. That cycle will never end. Right now is a really good time to get in IMO.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sippin' beer and overclocking my new rig. Not a bad way to pass a Saturday.

Right now I'm rock solid @ 4.5ghz with vcore sitting at 1.35. Temps under Prime95 are between 68 and 73.

Smokey said:
Huh?

You can't wait forever. That cycle will never end. Right now is a really good time to get in IMO.
Prices are always going down. No harm in waiting to see what nvidia and amd have to offer closer to the end of the year.

I don't quite know the best place for this, but I'll give you guys a shot.

My xbox is downstairs, and I'm considering moving it to my room (I live at home while going to school, at least for the time being.) and hooking it up to my 23" monitor, which is also attached to my computer. My router is 2 floors below (it's where it's installed, and I'm trying to move it up a floor). Would I run into any signal problems if I ran a 70 foot ethernet cable from my room to my router, and hooking up my 360 and computer to it? I already have a 70 foot cable that connects my 360 to my router downstairs and haven't noticed any problems.

Since I'm 2 floors away from my router, my speeds drop on the computer from 25mbps to 10mbps, I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that I'd get better speeds, as long as there is no signal interference, right?

Just a quick question, I am considering snagging a recertified Logitech Harmony 510 remote, is this a good remote for 40 bucks? And what exactly is needed to use this with me pc? I have a usb ati ir receiver that was to a all in one tuner card I guess, can I use this for the logitech remote?

Ploid 3.0

Smokey said:
Huh?

The force will tell him when he should jump.

Force:
As time goes on, you collect more money. Reach around $1.5k then just buy whatever monster is alive or that you see will be spawning soon (like bulldozer or vine bud thingy from intel).

At some point the software will reach critical mass and you have games launching and going on sale creating a perfect gaming storm (probably around xmas with digital distribution putting things on sale left and right). Then is the time to get a great pc that you managed to save more than you expected to spend right now + a cheap game that you might be thinking about getting right now or in a few weeks. Also the mega storm sale might include expensive gaming parts, or parts that are already a great price.

There are more Force moments when you'll know the time is right. Right now if you're not sure even after asking, you may want to wait until the next parts reveal which may lower the price of other great parts.

element

ok here is a question.

how does everyone keep the inside of their case clean? I'm always having to used canned air to get all the dust out and make sure my vens and fans aren't clogged.

I guess having a dog doesn't help.

n0n44m

TheExodu5 said:

hmmmmmmmm :/

how did you notice?

I've still got my P8P67 Pro B2 as well .. running 2 data drives + dvd drive from SATA2

just finished casemod+watercooling I've been working on for past month or two ... not really feeling like taking it apart again anytime soon :p

Ploid 3.0

element said:
ok here is a question.

how does everyone keep the inside of their case clean? I'm always having to used canned air to get all the dust out and make sure my vens and fans aren't clogged.

I guess having a dog doesn't help.

Grab a can of compressed air.

Take it outside, remove the side panels, and carefully blast away, getting in the nooks and crannies. Don't turn the can upside down, and be careful with how you tilt it. Move and bend the straw rather than the can.

Smokey

The Teachinator said:
Prices are always going down. No harm in waiting to see what nvidia and amd have to offer closer to the end of the year.

I know, but he made a blanket statement when vilmer said right now is the perfect time to upgrade.

If you're building a rig specifically for Battlefield 3 then yeah, it'd be smart to wait. If you want to get in now though, it's as good a time as any.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Diseased Yak said:
Sippin' beer and overclocking my new rig. Not a bad way to pass a Saturday.

Right now I'm rock solid @ 4.5ghz with vcore sitting at 1.35. Temps under Prime95 are between 68 and 73.
You can probably wiggle close to 1.30V I would think. Maybe drop to 4.4 if you need to (Just in general).
The Teachinator said:
Waiting 6 months for a most likely minimal GPU increase at the lower price poitns isn't worth not having a gaming rig for 6 months imo.

Can always just sell the old and buy the new anyway.

TheKurgan

Question: I have one core on my 2500k that is about 36-37c at idle, while the other 3 cores idle around 30-32. Is this normal or a thermal paste / heat sink issue?

Hazaro said:
You can probably wiggle close to 1.30V I would think. Maybe drop to 4.4 if you need to (Just in general).

Waiting 6 months for a most likely minimal GPU increase at the lower price poitns isn't worth not having a gaming rig for 6 months imo.

Can always just sell the old and buy the new anyway.
If the games he really wants come out at the end of the year wait.

I personally was confident a 2600k and gtx580 would handle BF3...plus I wanted the witcher. So I pulled the trigger in mid April.

squicken

Hazaro said:
I told you to force the damn thing down!

For the record I fully expect to break something. I 'm excited to find out what it will be.

Also, if anyone is thinking of going Sandforce for SSD, I've got to advise against it. Right now all owners are just glorified beta testers. Go with Intel and sleep easy at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom