• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, both of those replies help a lot,

Yeah I seriously don't think I will notice substantial performance boost or anything by having that second old card running in my system. Plus I do tend to OC once in a while (when playing Crysis 2 etc.) and I may not know what I'm talking about, but somehow I get the feeling I am putting more stress on my PC and the power Unit by having two cards in there, that may not be true but whatever, if I'm not going to get "$60" worth of performance out of it, it's best if it goes, and yes I can definitely use that $60 towards a CPU cooler or a more quite PSU.

I am also open to more suggestions, So PC savvy GAF, please keep giving your two cents on this matter. I have to decide my noon today 12:00PM EST to keep or sell my 9600 GT.

Thanks

$200

Banned
Feel like upgrading my graphics card and RAM a little, here's my current specs:

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
GeForce 8600GT
2.00GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

Want to keep my price low. No plan on upgrading motherboard or CPU, etc. Just want to be able to play Skyrim on medium.

Any suggestions?

Binabik15

The Teachinator said:
No offense but have you thought of maybe getting a job? It's your fathers money let him spend it how he pleases. He might not have the same values you do.

What the fuck has my father´s birthday present for my brother to do with me regarding payment?! I´m just there to build the thing.

Nobody want to comment on the laptop? Whelp, it was worth a try.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Question:

All my parts for my new build are scheduled to be delivered today, except the RAM. My DDR3 RAM isn't due until Monday. While ASRock P67 EXTREME4 doesn't list DDR2, I do have some 240 pin DDR2 I could throw in until Monday, if it would work. Would it? There are a couple stores here where I could pick up some DDR3 for like 40 bucks, but it would be a single stick and not DDR3 2000 like what I ordered, so I'd prefer not to go with that option. And the last option is patience, but forget that I want to put my rig together!

ithorien

EricHasNoPull said:
Thanks guys, both of those replies help a lot,

Yeah I seriously don't think I will notice substantial performance boost or anything by having that second old card running in my system. Plus I do tend to OC once in a while (when playing Crysis 2 etc.) and I may not know what I'm talking about, but somehow I get the feeling I am putting more stress on my PC and the power Unit by having two cards in there, that may not be true but whatever, if I'm not going to get "$60" worth of performance out of it, it's best if it goes, and yes I can definitely use that $60 towards a CPU cooler or a more quite PSU.

I am also open to more suggestions, So PC savvy GAF, please keep giving your two cents on this matter. I have to decide my noon today 12:00PM EST to keep or sell my 9600 GT.

Thanks

Sell. I asked this same question with the same card in mind a while back, and that's the response I got from a lot of people.

Binabik15 said:
What the fuck has my father´s birthday present for my brother to do with me regarding payment?! I´m just there to build the thing.

Nobody want to comment on the laptop? Whelp, it was worth a try.

Laptop thread in OP.

Thaedolus said:
Question:

All my parts for my new build are scheduled to be delivered today, except the RAM. My DDR3 RAM isn't due until Monday. While ASRock P67 EXTREME4 doesn't list DDR2, I do have some 240 pin DDR2 I could throw in until Monday, if it would work. Would it? There are a couple stores here where I could pick up some DDR3 for like 40 bucks, but it would be a single stick and not DDR3 2000 like what I ordered, so I'd prefer not to go with that option. And the last option is patience, but forget that I want to put my rig together!

No. Notch configuration is different on the RAM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Desktop_DDR_Memory_Comparison.svg

knitoe

Thaedolus said:
Question:

No. DDR2 ram won't fit.

derder

So I'm rebuilding my Home Server and I want to rethink backups.

My questions are:
How do I disc clone a 3TB hdd?
How much space does it require?
How do I store it?
How do I restore it?

I've read the OP and googled to no avail.

ithorien

derder said:
So I'm rebuilding my Home Server and I want to rethink backups.

My questions are:
How do I disc clone a 3TB hdd?
How much space does it require?
How do I store it?
How do I restore it?

I've read the OP and googled to no avail.

Google Acronis True Image.

Arnie

Any news on the 600 series Nvidias or the new AMD processors at E3?

I've set my sights on an i5/580GTX build at the end of September and I'm hoping new hardware pushes the price down on my components before then.

Finally built my rig.
DSC_0004JPG_kf4uu5nez3.jpg

DSC_0007JPG_av0e5ajt2p.jpg

DSC_0011JPG_71ttq0twz0.jpg

i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz cooled by Corsair H60
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Corsair AX850 PSU
Asus & Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB in SLI
Crucial c300 64GB ssd
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB
Corsair 650D case

Eliciel

I've got a question concerning the transportation of a complete system with a scythe mugen 2 rev. B in it. Do you think that there is a problem if the system is sent by UPS (or comparable). I honestly don't know why to build the system on my own so far because I found a shop where the assembling is nearly for free...

What do you think? Will there be any problems transporting the complete system with a scythe mugen 2? Or should I buy it myself or maybe even just let them unmount the scythe?

Thanks in advance

derder

Arnie said:
Any news on the 600 series Nvidias or the new AMD processors at E3?

I've set my sights on an i5/580GTX build at the end of September and I'm hoping new hardware pushes the price down on my components before then.
Honestly, I would pull the trigger on the i5/mobo/ram now. If you're not getting a z68, then you won't miss much. The CPU will prob be ~$20 cheaper in 2 months and the mobo/ram will be the same.

You could def get $20 more for your current mobo now, instead of then, so it makes sense. I would definitely wait on the GPU prices, though.

derder

j2theizzay said:
Finally built my rig.
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Corsair AX850 PSU
Crucial c300 64GB ssd
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB
Corsair 650D case
I've been thinking about using the h60. Did you try your build with the stock fan for S&G?

butts

Any good Newegg coupon codes? Ordering a new monitor today finally, upgrading from a 19" to a 24 or 25.

derder said:
I've been thinking about using the h60. Did you try your build with the stock fan for S&G?
Using the stock fan for now. Getting around 33°C idle, 70°C on load after 8 hours of prime95. I want to get some Scythe Gentle Typhoons if I can find a place that has it in stock for a decent price.

Futurevoid said:
What case is that out of curiosity?

The H60 looks nice. Is it any more difficult to install than a typical cooling fan out of curiosity?

Nice build!
Case is a Corsair 650D. The H60 was easy to install in that case since it has an open back for the motherboard. Attach fan/rad to case. Screw in bracket on back side. Put the block on cpu and tighten the screws. Hardest part was trying to align the screws through the fan and into the radiator.

longdi

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Between the Intel 320 160GB and the 510 120GB, which shall I go for?

320 160gb is good enough. 5 year warranty to boot!

a re-arrange i would do is get the stock blower 6950 2gb from sapphire, it is cheaper and take the chance of unlocking. it is quite simple if you can follow instructions and type a few command line. it is a calculated risk and the reward is satisfying.

Futurevoid said:
What case is that out of curiosity?

The H60 looks nice. Is it any more difficult to install than a typical cooling fan out of curiosity?

Nice build!

The Corsair 650D, its the nicest case I've seen and owned. Its got so much room for a midtower case. And the airflow inside is absolutely fantastic.

ElyrionX

longdi said:
320 160gb is good enough. 5 year warranty to boot!

a re-arrange i would do is get the stock blower 6950 2gb from sapphire, it is cheaper and take the chance of unlocking. it is quite simple if you can follow instructions and type a few command line. it is a calculated risk and the reward is satisfying.

Thanks for this.

I'm going for the 320 160GB but now I'm thinking 120GB would be adequate. Is the random write speed significantly slower than the 160GB? It's a lot of money to spend on such a low capacity drive and I'd rather go cheap now while the technology is relatively new and expensive.

As for the 6950, unfortunately, I already took the plunge on the GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II today. Just thought I'd save myself some hassle and money. I wouldn't have the time for too much gaming anyway so it wouldn't make sense to pay more for a card that would be underutilized as it's slowly becoming obsolete.

j2theizzay said:
Finally built my rig.
DSC_0004JPG_kf4uu5nez3.jpg

DSC_0007JPG_av0e5ajt2p.jpg

DSC_0011JPG_71ttq0twz0.jpg

Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Corsair AX850 PSU
Crucial c300 64GB ssd
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB
Corsair 650D case

Nice. How much did you pay?

vexvegaz

tycoonheart said:
The Corsair 650D, its the nicest case I've seen and owned. Its got so much room for a midtower case. And the airflow inside is absolutely fantastic.

i agree, i plan on moving my rig from a t60b to a 700D as soon as i get my second gtx 570, d5 pump, and full GPU WB

scy

So I've had my HP 2509b for awhile and it's probably the best looking TN panel I've ever owned. I may find a similarly priced (~$250) IPS panel to compare it with to get a good contrast of the color difference but it doesn't really look worse than my 52" LG I was using before. Still, I haven't run it through much to get a feel for the colors so I'll reserve judgment for after this weekend, ideally, where I can get some good time in with it.

Now to try not to buy a 2nd one for the sake of dual monitors...

As an aside, any good reason to upgrade from my aging G5? I mean, it works fine still so I don't really need to replace it but ... just wondering if there's anything mouse wise really worth it for an upgrade. Switching up to a mechanical keyboard is kind of a big difference so just wondering if there's anything mouse-wise to look into.

vilmer_

Slavik81 said:
Really? Sounds like a huge improvement. I had to wait 2 weeks for my stuff to travel by ground from California when I built my computer 2 years ago.

They have a warehouse in Mississauga now :D

Hey guys, so I just bought an Intel Core i5 2500k, 4gbs of RAM, and an ASUS P8P67 motherboard. I'm replacing the parts in my current desktop with those.

Since I'm keeping the harddrive, do I reformat now, install the new parts, then install Windows 7 again?

What order am I doing this in? Should I start by booting from the Windows 7 installation disk, reformatting, then install the new parts?

vexvegaz

Scuba Steve said:
Hey guys, so I just bought an Intel Core i5 2500k, 4gbs of RAM, and an ASUS P8P67 motherboard. I'm replacing the parts in my current desktop with those.

Since I'm keeping the harddrive, do I reformat now, install the new parts, then install Windows 7 again?

What order am I doing this in? Should I start by booting from the Windows 7 installation disk, reformatting, then install the new parts?

assuming you got everything u needed out of the HD, install new parts > boot from win7 cd > format > install win7

Mr. Hyde

Does anyone have experience with the onboard video for the AMD motherboards? I just built my parent's a pc using the Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Mobo but the video isn't coming on. The pc boots up fine and I hear no errors but the video does not display at all. I guess I'll play with it some more but I cannot figure out what I'm missing.

MedIC86

Well after fidling around a few days, im finally content with my upgrade...
Im glad that i decided to built a custom loop after all because i wanted to go with a corsair h70 first. Now i see the temps are much better then those.

Anyway the specs in short:
Crosshair IV formula
Phenom II X6 1100T (currently stable at 4.2 ghz) (1.4v core) (40oC under load)
8 GB ram
580GTX SC
Custom WC loop (xspc rasa, 750l/u.) i decided not to add UV dye, because my previous setup clogged the blocks after a while. also added Pt nuke, kill coil ofcourse.

95sihg.jpg

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde said:
Does anyone have experience with the onboard video for the AMD motherboards? I just built my parent's a pc using the Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Mobo but the video isn't coming on. The pc boots up fine and I hear no errors but the video does not display at all. I guess I'll play with it some more but I cannot figure out what I'm missing.

Nevermind. I managed to get it working and then installed Windows 7 pro 64-bit. It's all running smooth so far! They should be happy with this.

ithorien

Futurevoid said:

Similar build to what I ended up doing, and I think you'll love it. The case if gorgeous.

n0n44m

MedIC86 said:
Well after fidling around a few days, im finally content with my upgrade...
Im glad that i decided to built a custom loop after all because i wanted to go with a corsair h70 first. Now i see the temps are much better then those.

Anyway the specs in short:
Crosshair IV formula
Phenom II X6 1100T (currently stable at 4.2 ghz) (1.4v core) (40oC under load)
8 GB ram
580GTX SC
Custom WC loop (xspc rasa, 750l/u.) i decided not to add UV dye, because my previous setup clogged the blocks after a while. also added Pt nuke, kill coil ofcourse.

img

get a nice GPU block (and extra rad...) and you'll truly be in quiet gaming bliss ;D

no dye is good, I just got blue tubing instead =]

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Futurevoid said:
I can't see anything wrong with that!
Although you can save $25 and get this GPU (some people buy the SSC for the warranty but there is a promo going on).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613

$25 for you to overclock it yourself :)

squicken

GAF HELP ME!!!

I've never built a system before, but today I started replacing my motherboard. Everything so far so good, until I get to installing the Hyper 212 Plus. Here's what I'm looking at

pb5Fi.jpg

Why are the screws so far from the standoffs? It's impossible to screw this thing on. I've watch numerous videos on the installation. Read numerous guides. What the hell is going on here? What did I do wrong? If I screw one end in then the opposing side is far to high up to screw down

knitoe

squicken said:
GAF HELP ME!!!

I've never built a system before, but today I started replacing my motherboard. Everything so far so good, until I get to installing the Hyper 212 Plus. Here's what I'm looking at

Why are the screws so far from the standoffs? It's impossible to screw this thing on. I've watch numerous videos on the installation. Read numerous guides. What the hell is going on here? What did I do wrong?
There are 3 notches on the end of each arm. You need to use the middle notches then it will fit the 1155 socket.

squicken

AM3 socket. Instructions say use middle notch, which I am.

Let me be clear. It's not that the screws don't line up, it's that I can't even get the screws into the standoffs. If you watch any guide on the net, the arms settle on top of the standoffs. Mine are very far above the standoffs. See that gap in between the screws and the standoffs? That shouldn't be there

knitoe

squicken said:

Let me be clear. It's not that the screws don't line up, it's that I can't even get the screws into the standoffs. If you watch any guide on the net, the arms settle on top of the standoffs. Mine are very far above the standoffs. See that gap in between the screws and the standoffs? That shouldn't be there
Is the middle part of X arm (has a notch) in the hole of heatsink?

Looking at the pic, I still don't think you using the right notches on the arm. They look a tab short. If you are using the middle one, have you tried the outside ones? The spring screws should be able to make contact with the nuts on MB if you push them down.

squicken

knitoe said:
Is the middle part of X arm (has a notch) in the hole of heatsink?

I check and re-checked the arms. They are all in the center hole.

The notch is also in the hole. The center of the arm (the pivot/screw which fits in the heatsink) has a spring, and this would be much easier if that thing were closer to the heatsink base. But nothing will lower it.

knitoe

squicken said:
I check and re-checked the arms. They are all in the center hole.

The notch is also in the hole. The center of the arm (the pivot/screw which fits in the heatsink) has a spring, and this would be much easier if that thing were closer to the heatsink base. But nothing will lower it.
You can't push the spring screws down to make contact with the nut resting on the MB?

squicken

knitoe said:
You can't push the spring screws down to make contact with the nut resting on the MB?

No. If I screw one side in it makes it impossible for the other side of the arm to make contact with the standoff. For some reason, the arm is resting a quarter of an inch too high above the motherboard.

clav

squicken said:
No. If I screw one side in it makes it impossible for the other side of the arm to make contact with the standoff. For some reason, the arm is resting a quarter of an inch too high above the motherboard.
Take a picture of the back plate.

Did you install that correctly?

I just installed this same cooler for the first time for a friend last weekend. I read both the Intel and AMD instructions.

The backplates are mounted differently.

Also I notice the X-screw-bracket, you didn't move the screws. They are still close to the corners.

As for screwing it down, don't completely tighten one screw. Screw one turn for one, then work on the screw diagonally across from it, then to the side of it, then finally diagonally across that one. Make sure each screw is slightly in.

Repeat this motion for each turn.

squicken said:

Well if you say it's centered, it's centered. It looks off to me, but that could be the way you've taken the picture.

Nowy

Your Current Specs: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300(2.50GHz) / 4 Gigs DDR3 / Asus P5Q3 mobo / NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 1GB
Budget: $500-600 USD
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 I might upgrade to 1080 later in the year
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Valve games, Battlefield 3, Skyrim
Are reusing any parts?: The only thing I'm reusing is the Optical Drive
When will you build?: I want to build it this month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe?

I have two dogs so my house has more dust than average. Is it wise to buy a case with a good dust filter? Is there anything I can add to the PC to prevent a bunch of dust from invading it? Thanks for the help.

Cory_t_

squicken said:

I don't remember mine being quite that far but I do remember screwing one end in would lift the other end up. Just screw one in a few turns then depress the spring on the opposite side until the screw is able to enter the hole. Do the same for the other arm then just screw each one in slowly with a few turns each in a star pattern. This is how i did it and it was fine. I do remember the arms bending very slightly and that's when i stopped screwing them in.

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means an expert so if this is terrible advice someone please put me in my place.

Wallach

squicken said:

I think you need to flip your X bracket 180 degrees.

Sounds like it shouldn't matter but there's a notch in the center that a pin has to slide into on the base of the HSF. Seems like it isn't there so that pin thing is instead pushing your entire X bracket up too high.

Ultrabum

Nowy said:
Your Current Specs: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300(2.50GHz) / 4 Gigs DDR3 / Asus P5Q3 mobo / NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 1GB
Budget: $500-600 USD
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 I might upgrade to 1080 later in the year
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Valve games, Battlefield 3, Skyrim
Are reusing any parts?: The only thing I'm reusing is the Optical Drive
When will you build?: I want to build it this month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe?

I have two dogs so my house has more dust than average. Is it wise to buy a case with a good dust filter? Is there anything I can add to the PC to prevent a bunch of dust from invading it? Thanks for the help.

I have a terrible dust problem as well... and I have a HAF912. IT IS TERRIBLE. Don't get a case with a bunch of open spots... Seriously, theres a huge cloud of dust every time I clean the thing (like every 2 weeks). The top of my videocard is always the worst, and I'm terrified that I'm destroying my shit.

SO yeah, >.> I would caution on the side of dust protection!

I wish I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom