• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Liquid you should just take the HSF off there and clean/reapply your thermal grease. When you go to reseat the HSF you need to angle the levered hook on there first, so that when you seat it you can force the other side down. I don't think you're going to have any luck trying to latch them now since the HSF is already flat against the CPU die.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Liquid_015 said:
That's what I'm thinking but too scared to apply force.:((
Be thankful you do not have Intel pushpins.
Now quit being silly and get a hammer to knock it out.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Is there something up with 1055t's sensors or is it really eating 141 watts of power according to HWmonitor. I just overclocked the chip to 3.5ghz and checked it out.

AwesomeSauce said:
Is there something up with 1055t's sensors or is it really eating 141 watts of power according to HWmonitor. I just overclocked the chip to 3.5ghz and checked it out.
well at stock speed its at 125 watt, dunno if thats underload or not

Plasmid

For 669.00 am i getting a shit deal with all of this?

My System Details
PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
MEMORY 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive edit
SPEAKERS Dell AX210 Stereo Speakers edit
WIRELESS Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card edit
KEYBOARD Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Laser Mouse edit
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™ edit
MODEM No Dial Up Modem Option edit
My Accessories
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Days edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Studio XPS 7100 Studio XPS 7100 Minitower
Network Card Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader

all i wanna do is be able to run current gen games no lag.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Wallach said:
Liquid you should just take the HSF off there and clean/reapply your thermal grease. When you go to reseat the HSF you need to angle the levered hook on there first, so that when you seat it you can force the other side down. I don't think you're going to have any luck trying to latch them now since the HSF is already flat against the CPU die.

The damn thing is literally stuck on the Thermal paste. -__-

I finally got the heatsink out, but now I'm having trouble latching the heatsink onto the CPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Plasmid said:
For 669.00 am i getting a shit deal with all of this?

My System Details
PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
all i wanna do is be able to run current gen games no lag.
Graphics is far too weak. You can get a Dell with an i5 2400 for less than that even. Drop in a lowered power card and you can be alright with medium settings in some games. spend a bit more and you can sub the PSU in a tower and get a better GPU. (Add $200 to comp for a CX430 and a GTX 460)

If you can, I'd suggest you look to build your own and fill out the OP as you'll get a considerably faster computer.

Izayoi

Banned
Still getting blue screens with everything at factory clocks. Same error as last time.

Happens more when the ambient temperature is high.

Not sure why though, because all of my components are pretty much room temperature anyway, and I've never blue screened during gaming, even when it's for six to eight hours straight.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Finally installed the Heatsink, although I bent a little metal which shouldn't matter quite a lot. Haha, I never knew a heatsink can be such a pain in the ass.

Aselith

Hey guys I need some help diagnosing a problem. I built a computer for my friend, a really, really nice one but he has an audio stutter at startup when it plays the startup chime and when playing internet videos like youtube as far as I know it's not an issue for game playing as he has Crysis 2 and it's fine as far as I know. I was looking into this and apparently it could be caused by a wireless networking issue according to some, can anyone think of alternate stuff besides that that I can try? If disabling the wireless NIC doesn't fix it, I think I might install windows on his backup drive and unplug his SSD to see if it's a drive issue.

What else you got?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Liquid_015 said:
Finally installed the Heatsink, although I bent a little metal which shouldn't matter quite a lot. Haha, I never knew a heatsink can be such a pain in the ass.

Stock 775 coolers are a big PITA. Damn those twisty things to hell.

n0n44m

Wolf Akela said:
They're not as painful as Socket A coolers.

I cry everytime I know I have to take the heatsink off.

how many Thunderbird cores did you irreparably damage ? :D

I had a friend who first broke his own Thunderbird core, he could only afford a Duron after that

then he was installing a sink for another friend and his screwdriver got out of the latch while pushing it down, cutting through several layers of the PCB ....

crazy times <3

jarosh

are there any decent and affordable ips displays out there (under ~$400), 22" to 24"? i'm so sick of tn panels.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
jarosh said:
are there any decent and affordable ips displays out there (under ~$400), 22" to 24"? i'm so sick of tn panels.

I always plug my dell u2311h, granted I haven't owned any other IPS panels but I love it for the gaming I do on it ( and everything else that comes with an IPS panel ), people talk about lag but playing SSF4 on it I personally feel no difference compared other "lag-free" setups.

jarosh

Corky said:
I always plug my dell u2311h, granted I haven't owned any other IPS panels but I love it for the gaming I do on it ( and everything else that comes with an IPS panel ), people talk about lag but playing SSF4 on it I personally feel no difference compared other "lag-free" setups.
that one's shockingly affordable! i can get it for 275 swiss francs. and reviews are really positive. really, that's like the cheapest ips based monitor i've seen around here period. seems like a no-brainer at that price. definitely a major step up from my horrific asus tn panel. thanks for the recommendation!

MedIC86

Well my new installed watercooling dropped the cpu temp idle and under load with 10 degrees, pretty nice compared to my scythe mugen

squicken

bee said:
uh oh, corsair just stopped selling their sandforce 2 based 120GB Force Series 3 SSD

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95688

ocz say their drives aren't affected, then later say they're working with sandforce on a firmware fix, doesn't sound too good

sweclockers google translate

So just the 120 GB? And it doesn't affect their Force GT? This might explain why all the new SF drives have such a performance delta between 120GB and 240GB versions

Beaner said:
Ok looks relatively simple. Would it be easy to do that last method do you think, in terms of ease of making those lines?

Reading the instructions, CM advises to apply the compound directly to the heatsink. Now I'm paranoid about taking the heatsink off my AMD CPU. The Intel SB seem to have a much easier install and removal

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
jarosh said:
that one's shockingly affordable! i can get it for 275 swiss francs. and reviews are really positive. really, that's like the cheapest ips based monitor i've seen around here period. seems like a no-brainer at that price. definitely a major step up from my horrific asus tn panel. thanks for the recommendation!

np mate, I hope you enjoy it :)

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Finally got most of everything together, but does anyone here own or use a Cooler Master Elite 430 Black case (ATX/M-ATX/Mid-Tower)? I'm having a difficult time trying to push out the front panels so I can install the Optical Drive >.<

Wallach

Liquid_015 said:
Hey guys,

Finally got most of everything together, but does anyone here own or use a Cooler Master Elite 430 Black case (ATX/M-ATX/Mid-Tower)? I'm having a difficult time trying to push out the front panels so I can install the Optical Drive >.<

Haha, you are sure getting pushed around by your PC build. :p

POOSH IT HARDER

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Wallach said:
Haha, you are sure getting pushed around by your PC build. :p

POOSH IT HARDER

Haha, talk about it. XD HARDER, FASTER, STRONGER!!!!

But yeah, got mobo, HSF, GFX card, and PSU installed. Only have HDD and ODD but the damn panel won't come off.

Eliciel

I've got some questions concerning the power supply, mainboard, cpu cooler and graphic card.

1) mainboard
ASRock p67 extreme4 vs. Asus p8p67 pro. I would pay some extra money if the Asus pro is better. Nevertheless, I am also concerned about warranty. So what's your opinion about that?

2) power supply
Which one in particular would you recommend? I found the Seasonic S12 II 520 Bronze ATX12V V2.3. Or maybe Corsair TX 650 W? Or would you recommend sth. else? In general I love silent systems .

3) cpu cooler
the question is: Cooler Master 212+ or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B. I am maybe going to overclock the i5 2500k to 3,8ghz. But I also love silence. In general I love silent systems....so keep that in mind if possible. Even if you recommend me sth. completely different.

4) graphic card
I just want to know what you think about evga gtx560 ti fpb? Would you buy this one or tend to buy something else? I thought that the warranty (10 years after reg. is really good to have) But what do you think?

Thank you in advance

Binabik15

I know that I´ve asked questions in this thread and haven´t responded yet (blame E3), but I´ll do so shortly and thanks again.
I´ll continue to bother you until my brother is happy with the pc and my dad won´t kill me for the price (cheapskate, when he goes to fancy restaurants he spends maybe half the price of a decent pc just for food...)

BUT

Emergeny alert! (important bits=bold)

My mother´s pc has been dying over the last few weeks with random shutdowns, not recognizing keyboards and now he won´t go online. That´s a BIG deal for her. Even the network/server IT guy in the family could help via phone conference. My bet is on a dying mobo, thing´s getting old. I made sure she cleans it regularily and the fans are all working and it doesn´t feel hot inside, so it shouldn´t be simple overheating. Still, any ideas?

She´s always wanted a laptop, anyway, and it´s her birthday soon, so I´m looking around amazon.

This Acer TravelMate 5735Z-452G32Mnss with 2 GHz Intel dual core, 2 gig RAM, g/n wifi, Windows 7 and Word/Excel pre-installed looks good enough for a e-mail, browsing and Excel data input machine and gets good customer reviews AND 50€ amazon coupon for buying a Win7 notebook as a student.

Is 340€ (-50) a good enough price to buy or would you recommend something else? It really just has to do e-mails, websites (with flash) and Excel, heck, she´s not even watching youtube vids or anything. Size should be at least 14" so she can see something ;)

[/Emergency Alert]

Thanks.

Ark

Hazaro said:
That's a very good list. If your budget is pretty strict that is about all you are going to get. If you can find some way to get a H61/P67 (Look at the OP) motherboard and an intel i3 you'll have an upgrade path and it will probably be slightly better for gaming. It's really for the upgrade path though.
If you overclock the X4 to 3.6Ghz or so that will help you out.

Only change I'd do is knock the PSU down to the 600W of that OCZ model to save you $10.

Awesome :) I'll check out the intel range for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, I have a quick question and don't know where else I could ask for a quick response.

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. The only requirements I have is that I want the hd to be powered by usb since I will be moving it around constantly and that the price is under $90. Let me know if there is a go-to hard drive at this price, thanks.

MedIC86

rawrr 4.0 ghz on my first o.c with my new cpu (x6 1100T) 35 degrees and 1.35 vcore under load....(prime is running 3 hours now), im curious were im gonna hit the wall

MedIC86

pooptacular said:
Hey guys, I have a quick question and don't know where else I could ask for a quick response.

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. The only requirements I have is that I want the hd to be powered by usb since I will be moving it around constantly and that the price is under $90. Let me know if there is a go-to hard drive at this price, thanks.

I have a Samsung G2, affordable and only need one usb cable, i can recommend it :)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
pooptacular said:

Also, Western Digital dropped the price of their 1TB drive, so its right at around your price range. Free shipping, too.

ElyrionX

Ok guys, it's about time to take the plunge. Planning to build the following system within the next week or two:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 (or 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CL9?)
MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II
Intel 320 Series 120GB
Samsung 2TB F4 5400RPM (or Samsung 1TB F3 7200RPM?)
Seasonic M12II 620W
Corsair 650D

Couple of questions:

1. RAM. GSkill, Corsair or Kingston? CL9 or CL7?

2. Why is the 2TB Samsung slower than the 1TB? I wouldn't mind the smaller amount of space on the 1TB but it doesn't cost much to step up to the 2TB so I'm a little conflicted here.

3. I may overclock eventually but I have no intention of ever doing SLI or CF. Will the Seasonic M12II 620W provide enough power? Is it worth stepping up to the Seasonic X 660W? What would be the difference?

4. Will this setup be relatively quiet?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

MedIC86

ElyrionX said:
1. RAM. GSkill, Corsair or Kingston? CL9 or CL7?

2. Why is the 2TB Samsung slower than the 1TB? I wouldn't mind the smaller amount of space on the 1TB but it doesn't cost much to step up to the 2TB so I'm a little conflicted here.

3. I may overclock eventually but I have no intention of ever doing SLI or CF. Will the Seasonic M12II 620W provide enough power? Is it worth stepping up to the Seasonic X 660W? What would be the difference?

4. Will this setup be relatively quiet?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. does not matter, all those brands are ok, and CL9 or CL7 just go with the cheapest, its not like your gonna notice it.

2. go with the 7200rpm

3. the seasonic m12II 620w will be more then enough power, even with overclocking, the difference ? check review/benchmark sites.

4. Depends, i guess it wont be to loud if you dont add a lot of casefans

R2D4

Banned
I game at 1080p. Have a 2500k and a GTX 460. Should I go SLI with another one or get a better single card? Any recommendations?

spicy cho

R2D4 said:
I game at 1080p. Have a 2500k and a GTX 460. Should I go SLI with another one or get a better single card? Any recommendations?
ALWAYS go with the latter option. Unless a significantly faster card doesn't exist, at which point the hassle of a multi gpu setup is your only option for better performance. But a 460 should still be fine at 1080p, I'd wait a while yet.

Binabik15 said:
I know that I´ve asked questions in this thread and haven´t responded yet (blame E3), but I´ll do so shortly and thanks again.
I´ll continue to bother you until my brother is happy with the pc and my dad won´t kill me for the price (cheapskate, when he goes to fancy restaurants he spends maybe half the price of a decent pc just for food...)

BUT

Emergeny alert! (important bits=bold)

My mother´s pc has been dying over the last few weeks with random shutdowns, not recognizing keyboards and now he won´t go online. That´s a BIG deal for her. Even the network/server IT guy in the family could help via phone conference. My bet is on a dying mobo, thing´s getting old. I made sure she cleans it regularily and the fans are all working and it doesn´t feel hot inside, so it shouldn´t be simple overheating. Still, any ideas?

She´s always wanted a laptop, anyway, and it´s her birthday soon, so I´m looking around amazon.

This Acer TravelMate 5735Z-452G32Mnss with 2 GHz Intel dual core, 2 gig RAM, g/n wifi, Windows 7 and Word/Excel pre-installed looks good enough for a e-mail, browsing and Excel data input machine and gets good customer reviews AND 50€ amazon coupon for buying a Win7 notebook as a student.

Is 340€ (-50) a good enough price to buy or would you recommend something else? It really just has to do e-mails, websites (with flash) and Excel, heck, she´s not even watching youtube vids or anything. Size should be at least 14" so she can see something ;)

[/Emergency Alert]

Thanks.
No offense but have you thought of maybe getting a job? It's your fathers money let him spend it how he pleases. He might not have the same values you do.

ElyrionX

Ok, I'm having a hard time deciding between the following cards (prices not in USD):

MSI R6950 2GB Twin Frozr II $399
MSI GTX 570 1280MB Twin Frozr II $499

Any opinion?

Can this 6950 Twin Frozr be flashed to the 6970?

MedIC86 said:
1. does not matter, all those brands are ok, and CL9 or CL7 just go with the cheapest, its not like your gonna notice it.

2. go with the 7200rpm

3. the seasonic m12II 620w will be more then enough power, even with overclocking, the difference ? check review/benchmark sites.

4. Depends, i guess it wont be to loud if you dont add a lot of casefans

Thanks for this. Will go for the cheapest RAM then.

ithorien

n0n44m said:
how many Thunderbird cores did you irreparably damage ? :D

I had a friend who first broke his own Thunderbird core, he could only afford a Duron after that

then he was installing a sink for another friend and his screwdriver got out of the latch while pushing it down, cutting through several layers of the PCB ....

crazy times <3

I did 9 back in the day (think it was Thunderbird). Luckily the shop we bought from knew about the screw up on AMDs part.

longdi

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Ok, I'm having a hard time deciding between the following cards (prices not in USD):

MSI R6950 2GB Twin Frozr II $399
MSI GTX 570 1280MB Twin Frozr II $499

Any opinion?

Can this 6950 Twin Frozr be flashed to the 6970?

Thanks for this. Will go for the cheapest RAM then.

I will go for stock 6950 and unlock it to 6970 shaders and then overclock with Sapphire Trixx. Advantage being a lower 6950 default vcore of 1.10v and fan profile settings with Trixx. Dont flash with 6970 bios because the vcore becomes 1.175v.

Use the extra money to buy Intel 160gb ssd. 120gb has a bigger capacity but slower random seek (for OS) than Intel older gen X25M. 160gb is overall better and also lower cost per gb.

Get teh cheapest ram with some heatsink.

ElyrionX

longdi said:
I will go for stock 6950 and unlock it to 6970 shaders and then overclock with Sapphire Trixx. Advantage being a lower 6950 default vcore of 1.10v and fan profile settings with Trixx. Dont flash with 6970 bios because the vcore becomes 1.175v.

Use the extra money to buy Intel 160gb ssd. 120gb has a bigger capacity but slower random seek (for OS) than Intel older gen X25M. 160gb is overall better and also lower cost per gb.

Get teh cheapest ram with some heatsink.

The 6950 sounds like a lot of work. Is it really worth the hassle? I'm looking at benchmarks on Anandtech and the GTX 570 consistently outperforms the 6950 1GB though the margin of outperformance is almost negligible in some cases. Not sure what to think here.

So the 320 Series 160GB is the one to go for then? Actually, for the prices here, the 160GB is about the same cost per GB as the 120GB. But since it's faster, I'll go for that then.

voady said:
I've got some questions concerning the power supply, mainboard, cpu cooler and graphic card.

1) mainboard
ASRock p67 extreme4 vs. Asus p8p67 pro. I would pay some extra money if the Asus pro is better. Nevertheless, I am also concerned about warranty. So what's your opinion about that?

2) power supply
Which one in particular would you recommend? I found the Seasonic S12 II 520 Bronze ATX12V V2.3. Or maybe Corsair TX 650 W? Or would you recommend sth. else? In general I love silent systems .

3) cpu cooler
the question is: Cooler Master 212+ or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B. I am maybe going to overclock the i5 2500k to 3,8ghz. But I also love silence. In general I love silent systems....so keep that in mind if possible. Even if you recommend me sth. completely different.

4) graphic card
I just want to know what you think about evga gtx560 ti fpb? Would you buy this one or tend to buy something else? I thought that the warranty (10 years after reg. is really good to have) But what do you think?

Thank you in advance

1) If warranty is a major concern, go with the Asus. They're both solid boards though.
2) Both PSUs are solid (as are the brands). Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are generally well-regarded amongst PSU manufacturers, so nearly anything 80+ certified from them is a plus. If you're looking for silent, you'll need a low temp system, so consider looking at modular power supplies. You'll be able to use less cable = less clutter = better airflow = lower temps.
3) Both solid choices, but I believe the Scythe runs a bit quieter in general. You could probably run a 2500k to 4.0 Ghz on the stock cooler to be honest, but with either of those aftermarket coolers you'll definitely kick 3.8 Ghz's ass.
4) Might want to consider the MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti (they also sell an overclocked edition and a "gold" edition). Warranty is 3? years I think, but it runs much cooler than competitors 560 Ti boards (and also fairly quietly, I believe) thanks to their cooler design. They also make Twin Frozrs for the 6950 and 570 to name a few.

squicken

I have a question about drivers. Asus has chipset drivers that are quit old, but are the most recent ones on their site for my board. AMD has a driver download section, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between different boards. It's just chipset drivers, USB drivers, AHCI drivers, Southbridge drivers.

Which ones to use?

Never installed a CPU but I'm to assume the CPU fan comes accompanying the actual chip in the packaging? Complete noob, but do motherboards come built with their own sound or do I need to buy a sound card?

RS4-

Meus Renaissance said:
Never installed a CPU but I'm to assume the CPU fan comes accompanying the actual chip in the packaging? Complete noob, but do motherboards come built with their own sound or do I need to buy a sound card?
It'll have onboard audio

4s0l0x.jpg

My current Dell E207WFP is several years old but I love it. It goes to 1680x1050. Do higher res monitors provide a noticeably better visual experience? I can sell my current machine for around £350-£400 so it'll go towards directly funding this project. I can't wait to start building it. Will probably be able to get it around October

RS4-

Do you really need the 2600k? And that 2TB drive, don't use that for your OS. If you go for a 2500k, you can use the savings for a faster drive.

That's assuming you're not carrying over a current HDD

Edit - that psu doesn't sound like it supports a lot. Looks like it only has 1 pcie when I think you'd need two for the 570.

I'd go with a corsair or seasonic psu. I think SS still designs and makes the corsair ones

nitric0

nzxt-classic-series-gamma-gaming-casing-fully-black-interior-1006-02-lingloong@7.jpg

Any thoughts on the GammA Classic Series case by NZXT? Bought it for sale and seems to be filled with great features for a budget case.

Slavik81

I'm looking for a wired mouse along the lines of the Logitech Performance Mouse MX for programming. Having at least 2 thumb buttons is really something I'm looking for. And generally just being big (I tend to like Logitech's stuff for that reason).

I'd go with the G500, but a mouse that's not marketed as a gaming mouse might pass on an expense claim with fewer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom