• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
snack said:
What's so good about the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 as opposed to the other mobos in the same price range?
Re-Updated the $1000 build.

Simple common errors with the MSI (cycling) and ASUS (Sleep mainly) caused me to go with the ASRock. Their P67 boards have all reviewed well and seem to lack the problems others have. Hopefully it wasn't just because not a lot of people bought ASRocks in the first place... Now ASRock now has both spots in the builds. Didn't think that would happen!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
After watching the past conferences on e3, I hugged my PC before going to sleep.

164n5.jpg

You and me forever buddy, until the very end of man, kinect/move/skynet apocalypse.

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Re-Updated the $1000 build.

Simple common errors with the MSI (cycling) and ASUS (Sleep mainly) caused me to go with the ASRock. Their P67 boards have all reviewed well and seem to lack the problems others have. Hopefully it wasn't just because not a lot of people bought ASRocks in the first place... Now ASRock now has both spots in the builds. Didn't think that would happen!
The Sleep / Hibernation issues have to do with Intel's code and enabling Internal PLL. It affects all brand P67 MBs. Intel needs to provide a fix. Not sure if Z68 boards have the same issue.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
black_vegeta said:
Update???

OEM heatsink/fan, or Noctua? Hmmmmmm...
JWWEI.jpg

Some GPUs can also double as surf boards, or home defense weapons:
mUvBx.jpg

Getting there...
kDiUL.jpg

Had a lot of fun with this build so far, but work keeps intruding. I'm nearly done though.

Yoritomo

knitoe said:
The Sleep / Hibernation issues have to do with Intel's code and enabling Internal PLL. It affects all brand P67 MBs. Intel needs to provide a fix. Not sure if Z68 boards have the same issue.

They have the same issue. My z68 pro won't wake from sleep properly without pll disabled. Thankfully it doesn't affect my overclock at 46 x 100.

The Stealth Fox

Okay, I don't have enough space for the CM Hyper 212+. Does anyone have any smaller solutions for an aftermarket CPU fan for a Phenom II X4 955?

Alright, I am finally ready to pull the trigger on my first custom pc!! Here are the parts I am going with, I am planning on building this weekend. I still need to decided on a case, any suggestions/preferences? Let me know if anything looks of or if you would recommend something different?? Thanks PC-Gaf

1SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

1G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 1

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

1COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

1EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 015-P3-1580-AR Video Card

1CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

1ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) ATX Intel Motherboard

mkenyon

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Okay, I don't have enough space for the CM Hyper 212+. Does anyone have any smaller solutions for an aftermarket CPU fan for a Phenom II X4 955?

I have the Scythe Big Shuriken installed on my itx build. Idles @ 29, load @ 53. When the rig is on, I can barely hear it.

mNMiX.jpg

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I just got all my parts together and will be building tomorrow (first time). From what I heard, BIOS will be the most difficult part of the process, and I was wondering is there anything specific I must do while I am in BIOS?

Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Liquid_015 said:
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I just got all my parts together and will be building tomorrow (first time). From what I heard, BIOS will be the most difficult part of the process, and I was wondering is there anything specific I must do while I am in BIOS?

Thanks!
A host of things. The most important of which is to mess with your disk stuff, like setting it to AHCI. Rather than going through each one here, I'd suggest reading through your mobo guide to read what each setting does. Google it if you're not sure. Knowing your BIOS in and out is really important to knowing what's going on with the system.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
mkenyon said:
A host of things. The most important of which is to mess with your disk stuff, like setting it to AHCI. Rather than going through each one here, I'd suggest reading through your mobo guide to read what each setting does. Google it if you're not sure. Knowing your BIOS in and out is really important to knowing what's going on with the system.

Ah, I see. Let's say the least troublesome way to deal with BIOS as a first time builder? From what I heard, the basic things to do in BIOS is to set the boot order and change the time and date?

mkenyon

Banned
Liquid_015 said:
Ah, I see. Let's say the least troublesome way to deal with BIOS as a first time builder? From what I heard, the basic things to do in BIOS is to set the boot order and change the time and date?
RTFM. I don't mean that condescendingly, it's really important as a first time builder to know what's going on. There could be all sorts of random settings that your motherboard comes with that you'll need to change in order for things to work right.

Eliciel

so I decided for this setup now I am a little bit concerned about the power supply..what do I need. I though about 550w or 600w (Be quiet Straight Power E8 ATX2.3)

Mainboard:
So1155 ASUS P8P67 LE Rev.3.0

CPU:
IB So1155 Intel Core i5 2500K / 3.3
GHz - LGA1155 Socket - L3 6 MB - Box

RAM:
2x 4 GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3
CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 - Memory - 4 GB

Hard Drive:
500 GB WD Caviar Blue
WD5000AAKX - Hard Drive - 500 GB

DVD-Rom
DVW LG GH22NS50 black bulk - SATA + 1

Graphic Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked

CPU Cooler:
Scythe Mugen 2 rev B.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

mkenyon

Banned
Thought I'd post this in here rather than the "Free to a good home" thread. I bought two Zalman VF3000A with the intention of installing them on my 5870s. Unfortunately, the second 5870 I just bought turned out to not be a reference card despite my friend telling me it was. As a result, the holes in the card do not line up properly to install the cooler. I did get it installed on my reference 5870, and it is quite the performer. Idles at just under 30c, maxes around 52c. Just make sure you let it sit overnight without playing on it so all the thermal tape can settle.

Anyway, it's free to a good home if anyone wants it for their reference 5870, 5850, or 5830.

1293143230_150103327_1-Pictures-of--SAPPHIRE-HD5870-1GB-Rev2-Zalman-VF3000A.jpg

Wallach

spicy cho said:
Oh man, I'd love to get my hands on one of those. How is it?

I love it. The layout is great, and the sound of it is really satisfying. The keycaps are probably the best ones I've ever put finger to.

snack

The Teachinator said:
I have this board. It is excellent. Well made with a nice GUI on the BIOS.
Cool. I've never owned an ASRock mobo before so I was a little skeptical of buying them. But since it seems GAF has had pretty good experiences on it, I think I may get one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
I probably should have said something other than sleep, but I wasn't aware since most discussion was about the ASUS board. It seemingly has a slightly higher DOA rate, more 1 star reviews, etc. Feature wise the ASRock does quite well and if it is solid it saves money as well.
Liquid_015 said:
Set HDD to ACHI and set it to boot from CD / USB. That's about it.
AliceInJam said:
Alright, I am finally ready to pull the trigger on my first custom pc!! Here are the parts I am going with, I am planning on building this weekend. I still need to decided on a case, any suggestions/preferences? Let me know if anything looks of or if you would recommend something different?? Thanks PC-Gaf

1SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

1G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 1

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

1COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

1EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 015-P3-1580-AR Video Card

1CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

1ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) ATX Intel Motherboard
You want the V2 Corsair PSU. If you want SLi you want the Silverstone 1000W.
Looks good. Don't know if you need the DELUXE as compared to the PRO / ASRock / Gigabyte offerings. Maybe save $30 or $40 there.
voady said:
so I decided for this setup now I am a little bit concerned about the power supply..what do I need. I though about 550w or 600w (Be quiet Straight Power E8 ATX2.3)
Mainboard:
So1155 ASUS P8P67 LE Rev.3.0

Hard Drive:
500 GB WD Caviar Blue
WD5000AAKX - Hard Drive - 500 GB
LE can't BIOS overclock. Get the MSI C43 P67 or the ASRock board.
If you are going for a faster comp, get a Samsung F3 1TB. It's a better, faster, quieter drive.

Building my rig, but I paused for a quick question. I have an i5 2500k and am attaching a CM Hyper 212+. My case has a large exhaust fan on top and an exhaust fan on the back (at the top, near the CPU). How should I orient my cooler? Currently I have it up/down, thinking I can utilize the large top exhaust fan to help pull out hot air, but I can't decide if the CPU fan should be above the heatpipes or below... I'm attaching a picture to help explain this.

Currently, as you can see, the CPU fan is facing down/towards where the VGA will be; I'm planning on flipping that to the top.

0607111258a.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Soka said:
Building my rig, but I paused for a quick question. I have an i5 2500k and am attaching a CM Hyper 212+. My case has a large exhaust fan on top and an exhaust fan on the back (at the top, near the CPU). How should I orient my cooler? Currently I have it up/down, thinking I can utilize the large top exhaust fan to help pull out hot air, but I can't decide if the CPU fan should be above the heatpipes or below... I'm attaching a picture to help explain this.

Currently, as you can see, the CPU fan is facing down/towards where the VGA will be; I'm planning on flipping that to the top.
You have it right. You want the fan to be pushing air across the HS, not dragging it. Top exhaust is good.

Eliciel

Hazaro said:
LE can't BIOS overclock. Get the MSI C43 P67 or the ASRock board.
If you are going for a faster comp, get a Samsung F3 1TB. It's a better, faster, quieter drive.

Asus P8P67 Rev.3.0 this board can't BIOS overclock? Are you Sure? I thought only the Asus P8H67-M can't overclock (for example the Core I5 2500k), due to the missing feature being able to change the multiplicator..? Now this surprises me

Btw. my question was also, if the power supply: be quiet straight power E8 550w is enough for this setup.

Thank you in advance

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
voady said:
Asus P8P67 Rev.3.0 this board can't BIOS overclock? Are you Sure? I thought only the Asus P8H67-M can't overclock (for example the Core I5 2500k), due to the missing feature being able to change the multiplicator..? Now this surprises me

Btw. my question was also, if the power supply: be quiet straight power E8 550w is enough for this setup.

Thank you in advance
The LE can't. Regular can, but I'd get the ASRock instead at that price.

Yes that 550w will be enough. Runs a bit high on the 12V and seems expensive. Can you get a Seasonic 520w or Corsair at around that price?

Eliciel

Hazaro said:
The LE can't. Regular can, but I'd get the ASRock instead at that price.

Yes that 550w will be enough. Runs a bit high on the 12V and seems expensive. Can you get a Seasonic 520w or Corsair at around that price?

I don't know I need to look it up. Is the Seasonic and the Corsair as quiet as the straight power E8?

Edit: Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W? You mean this one for example?

I haven't heard anything about ASRock. Which boards are comparable to the Asus?

Thanks in Advance

Plasmid

If i know absolutely nothing about building computers how easy could it be for me?

I'm looking for a way to play SWTOR and a majority of other games with around 500-600 later in the year.

Plasmid said:
If i know absolutely nothing about building computers how easy could it be for me?

I'm looking for a way to play SWTOR and a majority of other games with around 500-600 later in the year.
just watch videos on youtube of building one, thats what I did, first build went flawless :), oh and of course ask any questions you may have in this thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
voady said:
I don't know I need to look it up. Is the Seasonic and the Corsair as quiet as the straight power E8?

Edit: Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W? You mean this one for example?

I haven't heard anything about ASRock. Which boards are comparable to the Asus?

Thanks in Advance
The 520w is fairly quiet, and should be a much better quality unit.
The ASRock in the OP in the 1k build.
Plasmid said:

All you need is a screwdriver and some time. Everything slots in 1 way and is labeled. It's very simple.

Yoritomo

Hazaro said:
I probably should have said something other than sleep, but I wasn't aware since most discussion was about the ASUS board. It seemingly has a slightly higher DOA rate, more 1 star reviews, etc. Feature wise the ASRock does quite well and if it is solid it saves money as well.

Part of the issue with some of the Asus boards is even on the lowest easy overclock setting you're greated with on the first bios screen it bumps the BCLK. Even on default settings the bclk is not actually 100 but something like 100.5 or 100.3. This ends up causing the double pump issue. PLL is also enabled for even the lowest overclock setting causing the sleep issue.

Hence bad reviews.

squicken

Hazaro said:
You have it right. You want the fan to be pushing air across the HS, not dragging it. Top exhaust is good.

Wouldn't it be drawing in the heat from the GPU towards the CPU if it's oriented that way. I'm not saying you are wrong, but every install video I have seen has it sucking in air from the front

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yoritomo said:
Part of the issue with some of the Asus boards is even on the lowest easy overclock setting you're greated with on the first bios screen it bumps the BCLK. Even on default settings the bclk is not actually 100 but something like 100.5 or 100.3. This ends up causing the double pump issue. PLL is also enabled for even the lowest overclock setting causing the sleep issue.

Hence bad reviews.
Yeah I noticed that on bootup I wasn't running 100. I think I had 100.3

I have the ASUS P8P67 PRO myself and it's been a champ so far, but obviously I can't base my recommendation solely on my purchase alone. Looking at the board itself, reviews, user reviews, and features, and price I still think it is a good choice for many. I know some people like to stick with a brand and I won't say no to someone going for a PRO if they have picked it.

In the general builds, I want a solid machine that is mostly trouble free and has some upgrade ability.
squicken said:
Wouldn't it be drawing in the heat from the GPU towards the CPU if it's oriented that way. I'm not saying you are wrong, but every install video I have seen has it sucking in air from the front
Most PC cases don't have a top exhaust which is why.
It can depend on your airflow and case, but I don't think the intake from the back of the GPU should make a drastic difference in CPU temp (Could be wrong here).
The reason it may be a good idea is that the hot air is exhausted faster and more easily through the top. In theory. I messed with fans and orientations in my case before and the impacts were pretty negligible. Plus it can give you some extra room for a side fan or RAM.
Either way is fine imo.

Yoritomo

Oh definitely, I'm not disagreeing with the choice in the OP. I Got mine solely for the slightly better overclocking at lower voltages and the warranty. ASRock's only real problem is the terrible warranty and warranty service but you also will save 20 bucks over a comparable asus.

Loxley

Alright, I've decided I'm going to *try* and gather the parts for the "Capable" build in the OP over the next few months, since I'm on a pretty strict budget. This is probably a dumb question, but as someone who has never built my own computer before (the closest I've ever come was upgrading a sound card on my old rig a few years ago), does that build lend itself well to future upgrades down the line?

I figure I'll go for the more powerful CPU's/GPU's further down the line, using this build as sort of a launching pad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Loxley said:
Alright, I've decided I'm going to *try* and gather the parts for the "Capable" build in the OP over the next few months, since I'm on a pretty strict budget. This is probably a dumb question, but as someone who has never built my own computer before (the closest I've ever come was upgrading a sound card on my old rig a few years ago), does that build lend itself well to future upgrades down the line?

I figure I'll go for the more powerful CPU's/GPU's further down the line, using this build as sort of a launching pad.
Absolutely. You can upgrade to a quadcore/hexacore Sandy/Ivy Bridge down the line and if you get that MSI P67 board you will be able to overclock as well.
3.1Ghz Dual-Core to a 3.6Ghz (4.4Ghz OC) Quad is a nice upgrade for sure.

The CX430w will also support either a 560 or 6950 so higher end cards are covered as well. (Though you should keep a GPU OC in check)

clip

Can anyone walk me through overclocking an i7-860?

I followed a guide on YouTube, but the end results weren't very stable.

So I'm currently using an i5 2500k. Today mother called me and told me that her work gave her an i7 2600k (she works at Intel and this very rarely happens). Could I just swap out my processor easily, or do I have to do something extra?

ithorien

Stabby McSter said:
So I'm currently using an i5 2500k. Today mother called me and told me that her work gave her an i7 2600k (she works at Intel and this very rarely happens). Could I just swap out my processor easily, or do I have to do something extra?

Swap out easily. Same architecture, no issues.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Syphon Filter said:
With BF3 coming you guys think i should switch the i5-2500k to the 2600?
I would think a 2500K would be sufficient. The 2600 only adds HT so if its optimized for 4 cores anyway...
clip said:
Can anyone walk me through overclocking an i7-860?

I followed a guide on YouTube, but the end results weren't very stable.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-overclock,2438.html
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=324998
Stabby McSter said:
You can swap CPU's freely. Might have to redo some BIOS settings, but no reinstalls or anything.

TheKurgan

Just got my P8P67PRO Rev 3 in the mail through an NCIX RMA. Can someone give me some quick tips to overclock this board again. I had my old one running at 4.5, but forget how I did it =)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheKurgan said:
Just got my P8P67PRO Rev 3 in the mail through an NCIX RMA. Can someone give me some quick tips to overclock this board again. I had my old one running at 4.5, but forget how I did it =)
OC guide in the OP

Manual voltage: ~1.30V
Multi * 45

n0n44m

Hazaro said:
OC guide in the OP

Manual voltage: ~1.30V
Multi * 45

my 2600k does 4.5 at auto voltage =] ... just set clock to 100 and multi to 45 and there it goes (not so much luck with 4.5+ frequencies)

manual voltage is fine but it won't lower voltage when idling (at 1600 mhz) with the manual setting, you need to do auto voltage or use the offset function for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom