• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
Nope, my 360 red ringed a while ago and I don't have another wireless 360 controller. You said I can solder or something inside the receiver? I changed USB ports in case that was the issue and Windows recognized it without any problem, but then tried to install the drivers I already have installed so of course it failed. The light still flashes just as it should when I press the button on it, so I'm not sure if it's actually broken or just having an issue syncing up in W7 which I know is a pretty big issue from my internet research I have done on this fucking thing.

I wanted to make sure I could get this working before I bought Trackmania 2, but looks like I won't be able to do that...
Try uninstalling the drivers, remove Xbox 360 receiver update from Windows update, and then, reboot the computer. After restart, run Windows update, install the receiver update again, reboot, install drivers and test.

And, just wondering, does anyone have 7.9 WEI? What are your CPU(6 core?) and memory(triple channel?)? Those two are 7.8 for me and the rest 7.9.

InertiaXr

knitoe said:
Try uninstalling the drivers, remove Xbox 360 receiver update from Windows update, and then, reboot the computer. After restart, run Windows update, install the receiver update again, reboot, install drivers and test.

And, just wondering, does anyone have 7.9 WEI? What are your CPU(6 core?) and memory(triple channel?)? Those two are 7.8 for me and the rest 7.9.

Didn't work either, the controller still recognizes the receiver in some way but refuses to sync.

Does anybody know the level of quality of the knock-off controllers on Ebay? I had such a poor experience with my 360 red ringing and this thing only working for a few months I'd rather not give Microsoft any of my money, plus the knock-offs on Ebay are under $20. I have a wired controller I will borrow in the meantime from my friend, but I'd like to get another one if possible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Giriath_89 said:
What's your opinion on the Corsair Force GT series Hazaro? I only ever see Intel 310/510 or Crucial M4 be recommended here.

It's a stupid fast drive for sure. Cost is decently in line with a lot of other options.
My initial impression is that I'd like to see it around a bit longer. SSD's are super tempting, but along with them comes a lot of issues revolving about controllers, memory, NAND size, Sandforce, firmware, and company experience.

It's Sandforce + 25nm NAND being sold fast and cheap. It's been under 2 months and I'd like to give it more time. The M4 felt built on the C300 which had a reset problem, but seems ok now and was a fast drive. Intel has followed its frist drives that broke the market and are more conservative that the rest.

Since an SSD is still part storage to me, I don't want to outright recommend products that I don't feel have a solid background behind them.

It's the same scenario with people who bought the Vertex 3. If you feel you can handle problems with it for the absurd speed it gives you, then go for it. It's an enthusiast drive for sure.

Once the dust settles and more people move into 25nm NAND (and especially Intel's High Endurance MLC, making MLC more like SLC (30x write capacity) I'll feel better about recommending newer drives.

*Also, real world differences besides copying whole drives are pretty minimal imo.
Cystm said:
1299297901239s.jpg

Should I go for a GeForce GTX 570 HD for a rather low $230.00?

Or should I wait until the 7xxx cards are unleashed in a few months? Will they likely drive down the prices of the gtx 500 cards?

This will be a one shot deal for me, once I get one or the other I won't be able to upgrade for a long time.
Nab it if you want a new card now. No GPU leaps are shocking anymore.
Conceptor said:
Hey PC-GAF, couple of questions;

I've been price watching parts over the last few months and in the process picked up a 2500k processor for a pretty good price. I'm currently on the lookout for a good Mobo/RAM combo, and I've chosem out a few deals on NCIX.ca, but I'm not really sure which is the better one so I'd love to get some advice/insight. I'm hoping to have my rig upgraded by the time the BF3 beta rolls around.

I plan on overclocking, will be reusing my 212+, and have a CM 690 Adv II case with a TX750 PSU. I'm mainly looking for something around $100-150, but don't mind stretching it a little if it means I can get some decent performance/life gains out of it. I'm a student with tuitions to pay off, so I don't have the means to go all out or anything :(.

Combo 1:
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 3PCI-E1 2PCI 2PCI-E16 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3 - $134.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL-9-9-9-24 Memory - $25.10

Combo 2:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3. - $159.99
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - $40.96

so P67+4GB vs. Z68+8GB

The two I pulled up are from the quick bit of browsing I did between classes, so if you can find anything superior, I'm open to that too!

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate the help :>
Z68 and 8GB is the way to go.
If you are tight on money and only mainly do gaming the 1st option + tossing in another 4GB later is fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm interested in playing Skyrim and Old Republic. Will my GTX 260, 500w PSU and i7-920 hold up just fine for this? I got what was a pretty awesome rig when it was all new, but I haven't really ended up playing a ton of GPU intensive games on it...I'd really like to play it in the highest quality possible, but I don't know if the power requirements on cards have gone up or if there's a big enough difference between the 260 and the 5XX series to bother upgrading.

Smash88

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I comfortably made it eight years on a 2.4GHz P4 Northwood without OCing it.

I've had my Q6600 OCed @ 3.2ghz now for almost 4+ years, and it should see a lot more to come. Probably one the best CPU's to hit the market in a long time.

mug said:
New videocard for DX11. Oh and as far as cooling goes, can you specify what's making all the racket? If you're using the oem cpu fan for the phenom, it's known for being loud and I'd suggest a replacement.

Yeah, it looks/sounds like the cpu fan, and I'm using the oem one, so that makes sense.

kitch9 said:
Whack an Antec Kulher on the CPU, get clocking it and a DX11 GPU (560/6950 upwards and you should be set!

*Edit* or wait for AMD's 28nm GPU's as they're not far away.

Thanks! I'll look into it. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to PC cooling systems, so thanks for the tip.

mclaren777 said:
I won the Corsair driving competition at PAX this year and they gave me tons of awesome stuff. In fact, it was much more than I needed and far more than I deserved.

Please send me a PM if you're interested, though I'm unlikely to be flexible on the asking prices unless you make a really compelling argument.

Would that H100 cooler be a good idea for my loud-ass Cessna of a PC? I listed the specs on the last page. If so, I'd be interested. I want this thing to run quietly.

Loto

Hi PC GAF,

I was wondering if there was a $50-$100 (closer to $50 lol) GPU upgrade for me. Here are my current specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200
RAM: 2 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 524 MB
Monitor's Native Res: 1920x1080

Currently I mostly play WoW, Torchlight and Bastion. I would like a GPU that will run these at decent settings (instead of Low settings to get a good frame rate in WoW). I don't need for it to run at 1080P.

My budget is low, but that's because I do plan to build a new PC when Diablo 3 hits. I am just looking for something to get by until then.

Also would it even be worth upgrading just GPU on my current rig considering the older processor and low ram. I am just looking for a cheap upgrade if there is one.

Thanks for reading.

LordCanti

Angry Grimace said:
I'm interested in playing Skyrim and Old Republic. Will my GTX 260, 500w PSU and i7-920 hold up just fine for this? I got what was a pretty awesome rig when it was all new, but I haven't really ended up playing a ton of GPU intensive games on it...I'd really like to play it in the highest quality possible, but I don't know if the power requirements on cards have gone up or if there's a big enough difference between the 260 and the 5XX series to bother upgrading.

You should be fine. There is a pretty large difference between the 2xx series and the 5xx series, if you want to upgrade though. It's up to you. No benchmarks exist for either game yet, as far as I know, so it's hard to say for sure how well your rig will run it. Skyrim was designed for the consoles, so you'll probably be able to turn sliders down a bit and find settings that work for your rig. I'm not sure about KOTOR, but from screenshots I've seen, it doesn't look that graphically intensive.

timetokill said:
Would that H100 cooler be a good idea for my loud-ass Cessna of a PC? I listed the specs on the last page. If so, I'd be interested. I want this thing to run quietly.

Get a Hyper 212+ for $30 instead. Same noise level. As for the rest of your rig, put your fans on a fan controller to cut down as much noise as you can (get an SSD to cut out the annoying HDD noise, if it bothers you). There isn't much you can do about GPU fan noise, if you've already bought a loud one (short of installing an aftermarket cooler, which is expensive).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LordCanti said:
You should be fine. There is a pretty large difference between the 2xx series and the 5xx series, if you want to upgrade though. It's up to you. No benchmarks exist for either game yet, as far as I know, so it's hard to say for sure how well your rig will run it. Skyrim was designed for the consoles, so you'll probably be able to turn sliders down a bit and find settings that work for your rig. I'm not sure about KOTOR, but from screenshots I've seen, it doesn't look that graphically intensive.
I'm pretty anal about running it on the highest settings I can get away with though. I'm just concerned I'd need a more powerful PSU to run a newer card...but maybe they're getting more efficient rather than less efficient? I'm not entirely sure. I only really "keep up" with computer stuff when I'm ready to upgrade. I'm not entirely opposed to upgrading the PSU if needed, but I have no intention at all of running SLI. I suppose I should have gotten a more robust PSU when I built it, but at the time I was wrapped up in the notion that really high PSU values were just marketing hype and that you didn't really need all that much power.

LordCanti

Angry Grimace said:
I'm pretty anal about running it on the highest settings I can get away with though. I'm just concerned I'd need a more powerful PSU to run a newer card...but maybe they're getting more efficient rather than less efficient? I'm not entirely sure. I only really "keep up" with computer stuff when I'm ready to upgrade. I'm not entirely opposed to upgrading the PSU if needed, but I have no intention at all of running SLI. I suppose I should have gotten a more robust PSU when I built it, but at the time I was wrapped up in the notion that really high PSU values were just marketing hype and that you didn't really need all that much power.

If it's a good model, 500w should be fine for a single GTX 5xx. If it's not, you may have issues. List the model and we can tell you more. I think the 5xx series is pretty comparable to the 2xx series in terms of power draw, but I'd have to look up the exact numbers. Unless you are going for a GTX 580 lightning or something, it should work without issue.

I just got all my new parts installed...

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Just OCed to 4.5GHZ)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I decided to load up Borderlands to see how it was with the new hardware. The difference was insane. When I had my E8600 and 8GB DDR2 1066 in, I was getting maybe 20-30 FPS on 1680x1050 with 16xAA. With these new parts, I'm getting high 50s-60 FPS. I had NO CLUE my old CPU was limiting my GPU so damn much. This is incredible! I am still using my 4870x2 that I have had since 2008 and wow... maybe I don't need to throw out $400+ for a 580 just yet.

Angry Grimace

LordCanti said:
If it's a good model, 500w should be fine for a single GTX 5xx. If it's not, you may have issues. List the model and we can tell you more. I think the 5xx series is pretty comparable to the 2xx series in terms of power draw, but I'd have to look up the exact numbers. Unless you are going for a GTX 580 lightning or something, it should work without issue.
It's an Antec Earthwatts 500w. At the time it was one of the few 80plus certified ones I could afford. Seems like that's not that uncommon these days. I was thinking the 560Ti - the 580 (and even 570) looks way too pricey; I could be going SLI for that price.

LordCanti

Angry Grimace said:
It's an Antec Earthwatts 500w. At the time it was one of the few 80plus certified ones I could afford. Seems like that's not that uncommon these days. I was thinking the 560Ti - the 580 (and even 570) looks way too pricey; I could be going SLI for that price.

Think of it this way; To SLI, you'd need to spend the money for a new PSU, and the new graphics card. To go for a single 560ti, you'd only have to buy the card. It may turn out to be about the same amount of money, but the 560ti would probably provide better frames in a lot of games than two 260's (it's hard to find comparison benchmarks for cards from different gens, so I can't say for certain).

I would go single card, personally (and I did: A single 580, instead of crossfiring the 4xxx series card I had before).

It wouldn't hurt to wait until those games are out, and then decide if you want (or need) the extra performance. Swapping out a graphics card takes two seconds, and the 5xx series isn't going anywhere (except down in price, until they are no longer made anymore).

Angry Grimace

LordCanti said:
Think of it this way; To SLI, you'd need to spend the money for a new PSU, and the new graphics card. To go for a single 560ti, you'd only have to buy the card. It may turn out to be about the same amount of money, but the 560ti would probably provide better frames in a lot of games than two 260's (it's hard to find comparison benchmarks for cards from different gens, so I can't say for certain).

I would go single card, personally (and I did: A single 580, instead of crossfiring the 4xxx series card I had before).

It wouldn't hurt to wait until those games are out, and then decide if you want (or need) the extra performance. Swapping out a graphics card takes two seconds, and the 5xx series isn't going anywhere (except down in price, until they are no longer made anymore).
I meant I could be going SLI figuratively. I'm not actually gonna do it; just a reference to teh fact the 580 appears to be more than twice the cost of a 560Ti.

LordCanti

Angry Grimace said:
I meant I could be going SLI figuratively. I'm not actually gonna do it; just a reference to teh fact the 580 appears to be more than twice the cost of a 560Ti.

I misread. I thought you were saying that the 560 ti, 570, and 580 were all overpriced.

If I were to upgrade from a 260, I'd probably go for a 560 ti on sale ($200 or so AR). I upgraded from the same gen (ATI instead of Nvidia) and only went for the 580 because I got it for cheap. I would have gone for a 560 ti otherwise.

Hawk269

Want to hear something insane???

One of the guys from Evga sent a twitter out that they were able to hit 1.4ghz with the new to be released 580 Classified using extreme cooling.

1.4ghz...damn!

Angry Grimace

LordCanti said:
I misread. I thought you were saying that the 560 ti, 570, and 580 were all overpriced.

If I were to upgrade from a 260, I'd probably go for a 560 ti on sale ($200 or so AR). I upgraded from the same gen (ATI instead of Nvidia) and only went for the 580 because I got it for cheap. I would have gone for a 560 ti otherwise.
I'm only committed sticking with nVidia because I don't really want to deal with driver headaches. It's not name loyalty or anything.

Finally! After researching my heart out, I took the plunge and got great deals throughout. I love shopping for deals and so I'm quite proud of what I gathered.

Between a mix of Newegg, MicroCenter and Fry's I feel I got some very good deals.

Case: Haf X. Microcenter. $127.99
SSD: Crucial M4. MC. $179.99
CPU: Intel 2600k. MC $279.99
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3. MC. $134.99
GPU: Zotac GTX580 AMP with new Batman Game. MC $313.99
RAM: Corsair Veng. 1.5v CAS9 8GB DDR 1600. Fry's $44.99
Cooler: Hyper 212+. Fry's. $24.99
PSU: OCZ ZX 850W 80+ Gold. Newegg. $100

Total with tax: $1328.53

I can't believe I was able to get so much power for such little price. I already have a WFP 3008 for my monitor. I have a Sata drive for data and a DVD RW that I'll be using.

I want to thank everyone over the past month for answering my questions and providing feedback to other, in general. It's been a great help and I'm looking forward to relying on the community for OC assistance.

Enough talk. Here is the motherload. Tomorrow in build, test and tune day! Can't wait :)

2qlsrp3.jpg

If there any tips before I start my build tomorrow, please feel free!

Tested components for my non-working build all the way down to the CPU, finally. And lo and behold, when I removed the CPU none of the pins came with it. The die slid off after I removed the lever as if it had never been attached to the case to begin with. Looking down the side it's as smooth as a whistle.

The pins? Sitting comfortably, poking out of the motherboard socket in waves of gold.

arrrrrgh

Not even sure what my options are at this point. I'm probably out at least $200 at this point, maybe the whole $400 between both components. I thought I installed the CPU correctly; followed instructions to the letter, was nervous about the force required to lock the thing in like everyone else.

FML

Hawk269

RukusProvider said:
Finally! After researching my heart out, I finally took the plunge and got great deals throughout. I love shopping for deals and so I'm quite proud of what I gathered.

Between a mix of Newegg, MicroCenter and Fry's I feel I got some very good deals.

I can't believe I was able to get so much power for such little price. I already have a WFP 3008 for my monitor. I have a Sata drive for data and a DVD RW that I'll be using.

I want to thank everyone over the past month for answering my questions and providing feedback to other, in general. It's been a great help and I'm looking forward to relying on the community for OC assistance.

Enough talk. Here is the motherload. Tomorrow in build, test and tune day! Can't wait :)

2qlsrp3.jpg

WoW man. You got some killer deals on your stuff. Good luck with the build. Take it slow and double check your work and have fun man. Enjoy the rig and let us know how it goes.

Soi-Fong

RukusProvider said:
Finally! After researching my heart out, I took the plunge and got great deals throughout. I love shopping for deals and so I'm quite proud of what I gathered.

2qlsrp3.jpg

Sweet mother... You got some amazing deals. I really have to visit Microcenter. A 580 for a bit over 300! That's insane. Along with the processor and PSU as well.

Dang, maybe I should visit my local Microcenter as well..

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
RukusProvider said:

2qlsrp3.jpg

I only ask that you post pics of your build-in-progress.

Giriath_89 said:
Huh. I know people usually say cables don't make a bit of difference (and with HDMI that's certainly true) but apparently that's not true with all cables or all signals.

People usually say that about cables transferring a digital signal (for short length runs, anyway). For anything analog, cables absolutely do make a difference.

LordCanti

JackEtc said:
Best 300-350 GPU is still the GTX 570, correct? Which is the best version of that card? I think it's this one, but not sure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595

Go with a dual slot from EVGA or MSI (I know the one you linked is dual slot; I mean one with a custom cooler instead of stock), or else a three slot from Asus for the same amount. If you want to keep it nearer $300, the stock EVGA card should be closer (and it will OC the same as the one you linked).

Edit: Looking at the pricing on 570's currently, I'm surprised that they have retained their value for so long. I've seen GTX 580's down closer to $400 (with huge rebates sure, but still) yet I can't find a 570 for under $300. I'm guessing that is because the 560ti squeezes in too closely in price on the other side (with the 560 too close to allow them to drop the 560ti) but still. I wonder if Nvidia is waiting for ATI to make a move.

Pins are firmly stuck in the motherboard, so it's probably useless now too. And I doubt I can return either part considering that I ruined both of them myself...

I don't trust myself to mess with the 1155 socket ever again after this. $400 down the drain. Might as well wait on mATX Bulldozer while I recoup my losses. Ugh...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
darkblade77 said:
Pins are firmly stuck in the motherboard, so it's probably useless now too. And I doubt I can return either part considering that I ruined both of them myself...

I don't trust myself to mess with the 1155 socket ever again after this. $400 down the drain. Might as well wait on mATX Bulldozer while I recoup my losses. Ugh...

Wait, what exactly happened? Can you maybe post pics? How'd you set the CPU onto the motherboard?

RukusProvider said:
how did you get a 580 for $313?
is that after a mail in rebate?

if that isn't an error, do you see that smokey?
$313. let's close this deal before the price keeps dropping.

Smokey

viakado said:
where did you get a 580 for $313?
is that after a mail in rebate?

if that isn't an error, do you see that smokey?
$313. let's close this deal before the price keeps dropping.

lol!

that is not the normal price for a 580, nice try skank!

MrOogieBoogie said:
Wait, what exactly happened? Can you maybe post pics? How'd you set the CPU onto the motherboard?

I lined up the notches, closed the bracket, and sealed it in drawing the lever down like the directions indicated. It looked stable enough at the time so I put the CPU cooler on as well and didn't give it a second thought until I attempted to remove it(last, since no other components appeared to be causing the mobo's inability to POST).

When I pulled the lever out from under the bracket this time and raised it, the CPU kinda popped and slid off.

It looks like this now:

http://i55.tinypic.com/fwj0oj.jpg

Pins are in the mobo. There's some bending now from me trying to remove them, but they were all... bent 'uniformly' before.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2jc8r2b.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/14j7zmq.jpg

LordCanti

darkblade77 said:
I lined up the notches, closed the bracket, and sealed it in drawing the lever down like the directions indicated. It looked stable enough at the time so I put the CPU cooler on as well and didn't give it a second thought until I attempted to remove it(last, since no other components appeared to be causing the mobo's inability to POST).

When I pulled the lever out from under the bracket this time and raised it, the CPU kinda popped and slid off.

It looks like this now:

Pins are in the mobo. There's some bending now from me trying to remove them, but they were all... bent 'uniformly' before.

Claim ignorance and try to get an RMA. If you know you didn't do anything wrong, and it broke, it's their problem.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
darkblade77 said:

It looks like this now:

???
Pins poke up from the motherboard. They are bent at an angle to provide better contact.
The CPU is placed in one way (arrow and notch indicated).

If some of your 1155 pins are not uniformly making contact, RMA the motherboard. CPU should be fine.

Alternative you can try moving them into place, but not recommended.

Hazaro said:
???
Pins poke up from the motherboard. They are bent at an angle to provide better contact.
The CPU is placed in one way (arrow and notch indicated).

If some of your 1155 pins are not uniformly making contact, RMA the motherboard. CPU should be fine.

Alternative you can try moving them into place, but not recommended.

Okay, that is thoroughly confusing. Going to give this another shot.

LordCanti

darkblade77 said:
Okay, that is thoroughly confusing. Going to give this another shot.

Wait...what? You purposefully bent the pins from their default position...?

This is why you shouldn't do anything without consulting the manual. If you've bent them, there is a good chance you're SOL.

I probably would have sworn to you up and down that the pins were on the die when I installed the CPU, or at least a few minutes ago I would have. I guess I was so used to AM1/2 sockets I just projected that into my memory. Maybe one or two of the pins on the motherboard itself were bent out of shape when I removed the CPU to inspect it, but I definitely fiddled around more than that under the opposite premise.

Anyway, since the damage is done I'll try to attempt moving them back to where they were and see if I get anything out of it. Being down a motherboard isn't as bad as losing both, so I'm not nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was a few minutes ago.

Although I do feel pretty damn foolish!

EDIT: For reference, the manual for the motherboard and the CPU say pretty much nothing about installation outside of "line up here", "place object here", etc. Pins aren't even mentioned. The CPU manual is largely a picture book. I know well enough to not touch the underside of the die or the pins under normal circumstances, although I'm not debating that I handled this like a moron.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Izayoi said:
It's okay, I payed $500 (technically $550 because of tax) for mine too! ;_;

I was this close the other week on pulling the trigger on a couple of cheap ( cheap here ) msi lightning 580s 3gb for a measly 1500 usd.

If I could get a 580 for 500 I'd buy 4 of them.

If I could get a 580 for 300 I'd buy 8 of them and just stare at the 4 I couldn't use.

Yaska

Eurogaf here ( would jump on that 580 deal otherwise) wondering if I should upgrade my good old 460 gtx to 570gtx or 580gtx or just wait for the 600 series?

syko de4d

viakado said:
oh shit. that 20% coupon ends tomorrow.
$313 is a fantastic deal.
C'mon smokey! make me an offer i cant refuse!

"Buy this NVIDIA GeForce GTX and get Batman: Arkham City for PC FREE"

And a Great 50$ Game for free :O But i live in Euroland :(

Corky

Yaska said:
Eurogaf here ( would jump on that 580 deal otherwise) wondering if I should upgrade my good old 460 gtx to 570gtx or 580gtx or just wait for the 600 series?

Depends, do you really want to play all those AAA games coming this winter at high res and high settings with decent framerate?

No? Then wait for 600 series in q1-q2 ( keep in mind that there's always a risk for delay just look at the poor saps waiting for bulldozer )

Yes? Then buy your ass that 580 if you can afford it, if not an OCed 570 will do wonders aswell.

Corky

viakado said:
there's a microcenter like 5mins away from me.
oh man, so tempting.

For future reference, I wonder how feasible it'll be to have someone send you stuff like a gpu or something overseas.

Corky said:
For future reference, I wonder how feasible it'll be to have someone send you stuff like a gpu or something overseas.
you mean i get a gpu and ship it overseas for a gaffer?

Corky said:
Yes? Then buy your ass that 580 if you can afford it, if not an OCed 570 will do wonders aswell.
is an OC'd 570 comparable to a stock 580?
i might have to go that route to save a few bucks.

Corky

viakado said:

Well not you personally but just in general, how much of a hassle / difference it would be to have someone send something from US to Sweden because as I'm getting deeper and deeper into the whole "gotta buy cool pc parts" stuff I'm realizing that it's waaaay too expensive compared to you guys.

Septimius

viakado said:

i might have to go that route to save a few bucks.

Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC.

You're welcome.

Corky

viakado said:

I think so, barring vram discrepancies, I believe an OCed 570 will definitely be in the realm of a stock 580.

( but then again you could just aswell OC that 580 but that's semantics )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom