• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

MrOogieBoogie said:
I had the exact same experience with my i3-2100. It was my first time building a PC, so you could imagine how nervous I was when I had to apply so much force to lock the CPU in place. Nearly gave me a heart attack.
I've been building systems for almost a decade now. This was the most force by far required to install a processor that I've had to use.

abuC

So, even though I will do most of my gaming in 1080p, I've come across the chance to get the 3gb Zotac Gtx 580s for $392 before taxes. I might have to jump on that.

Guys, I need help!

I want to upgrade my machine to really run Battlefield 3 nicely. Here's what I've got so far:

- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
- 4.0 GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 260

What do you guys recommend as far as upgrades go?

ALSO, I'd really like to install a new cooling setup. My PC currently sounds like a goddamn jet, it's so loud. Any suggestions? I haven't really delved into cooling systems much with PCs.

Hawk269

abuC said:
So, even though I will do most of my gaming in 1080p, I've come across the chance to get the 3gb Zotac Gtx 580s for $392 before taxes. I might have to jump on that.

I would. Yes, the majority if not all games will not need more that 1.5 today, but that is today. I know that Crysis 2 with the Hi-Res Pack and DX11 will use more that 1.5, I beleive it will use up to 1.7 or so, but it also scales if you dont have more that 1.5. But that is again for games that our today. Who knows what the games coming out later this year will do and you can be one of those that likes to put an insane amount of AA in games and that also eats up some ram.

But if you can get a 3gb card for the price and even lower than a 1.5gb...I guess I need to ask....What are you waiting for?

Ridankulous

Neo Member
hey guys I need some help too!

ok so, I just upgraded my pc

cpu: i5 2500k
mobo: biostar tz68a+
ram: 8gb g.skill ripjaw
gpu: evga gtx 550 ti
psu: ocz 750w
hdd: old seagate 320gb

This is an upgrade over my old system I built ~ 6 years ago.
everything is new except for the hard drive and power supply.

So apparently they stopped putting in IDE slots on motherboards so I can't use my old optical drive to install windows.

Now I already had windows 7 on my previous build so it still loads up in the new system, however its the 32 bit version.

I'm trying to install windows from an external hard drive but I can't get it to work. I dl'd the 64 bit version and extracted the iso onto the external using undisk. I set the external to active and made sure it was formatted in NTFS.

My issue happens when I try to boot from my external. instead of getting the windows setup screen, I just get a black screen with that blinking white line at the top left. and it just sits there. I have no idea what the issue is.

any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

mug

timetokill said:
Guys, I need help!

I want to upgrade my machine to really run Battlefield 3 nicely. Here's what I've got so far:

- 4.0 GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 260

ALSO, I'd really like to install a new cooling setup. My PC currently sounds like a goddamn jet, it's so loud. Any suggestions? I haven't really delved into cooling systems much with PCs.
New videocard for DX11. Oh and as far as cooling goes, can you specify what's making all the racket? If you're using the oem cpu fan for the phenom, it's known for being loud and I'd suggest a replacement.

I didn't notice any posts about this, so here's an update for the OP, thread regulars, and anyone else who would benefit from this bit of news.

NCIX is expanding into the US in a major way, and there are some website changes to go along with that.

icon_cdn.gif
NCIX.com is now NCIX.ca
icon_us.gif
NCIXUS.com is now US.NCIX.com

For US members not only do you now have another option for deals, but one which price matches their competitors, and will no longer charge for shipping from Canada. Have to love competition. Happy hunting.

NCIX IS EXPANDING INTO THE UNITED STATES!!! Linus Tech Tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B23CdQOlQyI

NCIX Opens New Distribution Center in United States!
http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode...id=2407129&pagenumber=1&msgcount=12&subpage=1

It's official! The news many of you have been waiting for... We are pleased to announce that NCIX has a new shipping facility in the States! This new warehouse, located in the heart of sunny California is set to launch Friday, Sept 16th, 2011. We're excited to start servicing the residents of United States, faster and more cost effectively!

Be sure to stay posted for our first U.S. Grand Opening Sale at http://www.ncix.com and/or http://www.facebook.com/NCIXdotCOM, it's one you won't want to miss!

Canadian customers, please note that you can continue to shop at http://www.ncix.ca.

We appreciate the support from all of our loyal customers over the years, we couldn't have done this without you! We're looking forward to all the exciting things to come and hope that you'll continue to choose us as your one-stop, shopping destination when it comes to computer needs

For more details and to see our official Press Release, click here: http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...tribution-center-in-united-states-1561949.htm

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Warehouse in California means CA tax.
Noooooo.

Makes sense since CA will kick in the online tax in a few months anyway though.
Location sounds like the Newegg Cali warehouse too.

Daante

What would be best graphic-upgrade-wise if i already have a gigabyte 6850? , buy another and CF? , what about "Micro stuttering" these days on new games?

Or should i go with a 6950? , games im planning on playing is Skyrim and Batman, in 1080p resolution. My rig is a i5-2500k, 8GB ram and a intel 320, 120GB SSD drive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sethos said:
Random question, would this thread also cover network equipment and setup or is that another thread >.> ?
Probably better off making a thread in OT.
Daante said:
What would be best graphic-upgrade-wise if i already have a gigabyte 6850? , buy another and CF? , what about "Micro stuttering" these days on new games?

Or should i go with a 6950? , games im planning on playing is Skyrim and Batman, in 1080p resolution. My rig is a i5-2500k, 8GB ram and a intel 320, 120GB SSD drive.
Might as well go nVidia if you want Batman since you get it for free.
GTX 560ti or GTX570. Dual fan cooler recommended (MSI/ASUS/eVGA).

Le-mo

So I just bought the sound card that Hazaro recommended and 4GB of ram which brings my desktop total memory to 8GB. Next thing I'm thinking of getting is a SSD. I'm planning to use the SSD to install os/programs(steam, rainmeter, etc) while games, pictures, and photos will be stored on a regular internal harddrive. Is this a good move and will the speed of the SSD be affected?

squicken

Any game you are currently playing should be installed on the SSD. Steam has a very handy backup utility that will archive your game/saves so you don't have to re-download them. Try to get at least a 120/128 GB drive so you've got room to have a few games installed at a time.

But as far as photos/movies/music, definitely keep that on a mechanical HDD. There's no benefit to putting them on an SSD

Le-mo

squicken said:
Any game you are currently playing should be installed on the SSD. Steam has a very handy backup utility that will archive your game/saves so you don't have to re-download them. Try to get at least a 120/128 GB drive so you've got room to have a few games installed at a time.

But as far as photos/movies/music, definitely keep that on a mechanical HDD. There's no benefit to putting them on an SSD
I see. Thanks for the input. What's the best SSD available right now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
squicken said:

Even a lot of games won't benefit that greatly from being on SSD. It's a nice perk though to keep your go to MP game on there for example though.
Helps for MMO's

M4 for speed. Intel 510 also good. So is 320.

squicken

I always recommend the M4. Great value. Great performance. 128 GB for less than $200. Even if you go Sandforce, that's fine. It can be a little buggy and cause BSOD for some people, but it's not as bad as it once was.

BoomBap

Neo Member
First time poster and I am in need of your help Gaf! I recently joined the master race and have been enjoying the great gaming PC has to offer. However my new rig randomly restarts mid game. It only seems to happen with system hog type games. GTA4 and Bad Company 2 are the main culprits.

I should add that this happened more often with my old heat sink. I upgraded to a better unit and now it only happens under high load gaming.This is the new unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

Here are my specs.
GTX 560 ti
Intel i5-2500K 3.3
4gb ddr3 memory
Gigabyte mother board
500 watt power supply

Memory corruption? Over heating? Not enough power? I am lost. Like I said I am new to this PC stuff. Any input would be awesome.

squicken

BoomBap said:
First time poster and I am in need of your help Gaf! I recently joined the master race and have been enjoying the great gaming PC has to offer. However my new rig randomly restarts mid game. It only seems to happen with system hog type games. GTA4 and Bad Company 2 are the main culprits.

I should add that this happened more often with my old heat sink. I upgraded to a better unit and now it only happens under high load gaming.This is the new unit.

Here are my specs.
GTX 560 ti
Intel i5-2500K 3.3
4gb ddr3 memory
Gigabyte mother board
500 watt power supply

Memory corruption? Over heating? Not enough power? I am lost. Like I said I am new to this PC stuff. Any input would be awesome.

Can you post the exact model of your power supply?

BoomBap

Neo Member
The power supply is a Xtreme gear 600 watt atx. Model number psaz cp600. Just realized I put 500 watt in the original post but it is a 600 watt unit.

coopolon

·feist· said:
I didn't notice any posts about this, so here's an update for the OP, thread regulars, and anyone else who would benefit from this bit of news.

NCIX is expanding into the US in a major way, and there are some website changes to go along with that.

icon_cdn.gif
NCIX.com is now NCIX.ca
icon_us.gif
NCIXUS.com is now US.NCIX.com

For US members not only do you now have another option for deals, but one which price matches their competitors, and will no longer charge for shipping from Canada. Have to love competition. Happy hunting.

NCIX IS EXPANDING INTO THE UNITED STATES!!! Linus Tech Tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B23CdQOlQyI

NCIX Opens New Distribution Center in United States!
http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode...id=2407129&pagenumber=1&msgcount=12&subpage=1

Wow, price matching Newegg? How much do they charge to build your PC for you? That might be worth the $50 or so if they really do price match on the components.

Nabs

coopolon said:
Wow, price matching Newegg? How much do they charge to build your PC for you? That might be worth the $50 or so if they really do price match on the components.
50 bucks, but I don't know if the US one supports that yet.

squicken

BoomBap said:
Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll be looking into a new PSU. Slippery slope indeed this PC gaming stuff.

Otherwise you have a great system. Just needs another $50-$60 for a solid PSU. The first page has some recommendations, but there might be deals out there if you shop around.

MrOogieBoogie said:
I had the exact same experience with my i3-2100. It was my first time building a PC, so you could imagine how nervous I was when I had to apply so much force to lock the CPU in place. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

Same here bro, scared the shit out of me. I had read that it involved a fair amount of force, but I didn't expect that it would need that much. I actually stopped mid-way through because I heard a "click", but I figured it was just the locking mechanism.

n0n44m

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Same here bro, scared the shit out of me. I had read that it involved a fair amount of force, but I didn't expect that it would need that much. I actually stopped mid-way through because I heard a "click", but I figured it was just the locking mechanism.

the sound man ... oh god the sound

the metal was just * squealing * because of the pressure lol

ElyrionX

longdi said:
as a former razer user, i vote for logitech g700, the shape, plastic and grip feels better than DA, no more sticky rubberized grip! love the multi buttons espically the left/right scroll wheel for tab browsing.
i would ignore the wireless, too much hassle to plug in and out the cable every 2-3 days.

Agreed. The G700 is an incredible mouse and even more so for anyone looking for a wireless mouse.

Stalfos

Bruiserk said:
Looking for a new keyboard, what do people think about the logitech K750?

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboard/devices/k750-keyboard

I would prefer something with back lit keys, but not having to replace batteries is a very exciting feature.
The K750 is the keyboard I got for my PC build and I'm loving it so far. I like the chiclet style keys and the slim form factor. Plus never having to plug it in or replace batteries is a great feature.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BoomBap said:

Here are my specs.
GTX 560 ti
Intel i5-2500K 3.3
4gb ddr3 memory
Gigabyte mother board
500 watt power supply

Power supply is definitely suspect, but check temps on the GPU and CPU before replacing anything.

OCCT has both a CPU and GPU test so you can run them from the same program to get load temps. Since the PSU is possibly an issue I wouldn't recommend running the PSU test. Not sure what the consequences could be if it fails by "too much."

Stalfos

rhfb said:
Wow, 2500k cpu takes a ton of force to install. And the noise the pins makes made me so nervous. Installing windows now though :)
Yeah I was surprised by that too. The first time I started pushing the bracket lever down I stopped because I thought I must have placed something wrong. Everything looked right so I gave it another go and gave it some nice and firm force. Also the slight grinding/crunching noise as the pins made contact with the cpu was a little unsettling.

Tonner Cyn said:
It is official - I will be picking up my new machine tomorrow. Right now I am using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2 gigs of RAM, an nforce 4 mobo (NF-CK804 per cpu-z), and a 9500 GT. I am going to an i5 2500k, 8 gigs of Kingston Hyper X RAM, a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 mobo, and an EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 with an 80 gig Intel 320 ssd to boot. I also bought a 23.6" 1080p monitor to replace my 19" 1440x900 ViewSonic. I think it would be fair to say I will notice a difference, right? :)

Before I started hanging out and reading this thread, I would never have considered overclocking. Now, I am thinking I want to give it a shot. Earlier today, at a different forum, I actually had the first person tell me to not bother. His explanation was that boosting the i5 wouldn't really change all that much. Another guy told me one of the first things I should do is bump the cpu to 4 ghz. I'm confused :-/. Is it as simple as getting into the bios and changing the core speed to 40? If it is, I don't see why I wouldn't. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I had the machine built by Cyperpower and they are supposed to have put it through quality control, but would it be a good idea to download Prime95 and see how it holds up?

Reposting in the hopes of getting some input. I'll probably head out to get it in about 3 hours and then I'll have to wait until tonight to get it up and running.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You may or may not have to change the voltage for 4GHz, I haven't used one myself.

And for a 24/7 OC you will want to stability test it with Prime/OCCT/whatever, even though you're pretty much guaranteed to be fine at that speed with a decent cooler.

But yeah, unlocked multipliers make overclocking extremely simple since you don't have to deal with stability for other components.

Coldsnap

About once every 14 days i will wake up to see a error screen on my computer saying it detected a power surge and my computer shut down and is on the error screen. Anyone have any idea what this is? Next time I'll write down the full message, i usually just reset and ignore it.

Hi, I'm wondering if I should put money into my slightly aging laptop. It's a Dell Latitude D630.

It has a 1.8ghz core 2 duo (t7100) with 3gb of ram and a (really nice) 14" 1440x900 display. I put an SSD in it which I would transfer to a new computer if I got one.

The battery has gone kaput and it would require about $100 for an OEM replacement for the 9-cell battery (should get around 5 hours when new). Also, it's only running XP and Linux, and I would consider ditching XP for 7 for another $100.

So basically -- is it worth putting $200 into this laptop or should I just wait and put the money towards something a lot faster/newer? I think I would ideally prefer a macbook air or "ultrabook" but I'm not sure right now.

Why don't people OC their Intel chips via the Turbo Boost? You can increase the mutlipliers for each core in the BIOS and benefit from not having the chip run at the OC'd speed constantly.

Or am I missing something?

TheExodu5

Banned
I believe Turbo boost only applies temporary boosts. If you need your overclocked performance over a longer period of time, I don't think it will give it to you. I'm not 100% sure of this, however.

edit: I think I'm wrong.

garath

MadraptorMan said:
Why don't people OC their Intel chips via the Turbo Boost? You can increase the mutlipliers for each core in the BIOS and benefit from not having the chip run at the OC'd speed constantly.

Or am I missing something?

You can let the CPU downclock even locking the multiplier. Either method works. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Should be fine as long as the CPU is under load, right? AKA whenever you need the extra power, it automatically scales up. That seems to be how it's working for me anyway.

kitch9

Banned
timetokill said:
Guys, I need help!

- 4.0 GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 260

Whack an Antec Kulher on the CPU, get clocking it and a DX11 GPU (560/6950 upwards and you should be set!

*Edit* or wait for AMD's 28nm GPU's as they're not far away.

knitoe

MadraptorMan said:
Should be fine as long as the CPU is under load, right? AKA whenever you need the extra power, it automatically scales up. That seems to be how it's working for me anyway.
With manually overclocking, it goes from idle or full overclock speed on all 4 cores. For example, my 2600K@4.5GHz runs at 1.6GHz (idle) or 4.5GHz (load).

With turbo boost, how it overclocks depend on the amount of cores used, highest is 1 core and lowest are with 4 cores. For example, with a 2600K, 4 cores = 3.5GHz, 3 cores = 3.6GHz, 2 cores = 3.7GHz and 1 core = 3.8GHz.

Obviously, manually overclocking is much better here since you can run all 4 cores faster.
MadraptorMan said:
Yea I can't tell if they actually manually set the multiplier or just left it at the default settings. Oh well.
Load up Task Manager Performance tab, run CPUID, and then, run Prime95. You will see CPU speed and see how many cores are under load.

Bruiserk

Stalfos said:
The K750 is the keyboard I got for my PC build and I'm loving it so far. I like the chiclet style keys and the slim form factor. Plus never having to plug it in or replace batteries is a great feature.

Do you have anything little detail that annoys you? Such as the shift button being to small, no notification that caps lock is on, etc?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "chiclet". Does it make a lot of noise, or does it feel like you are pushing down on something squishy? I'd like a little bit of noise and also have that feeling of "oh yea, I just pressed that key and it worked" rather than "I'm pushing down on something soft and don't know how far i have to push it down in order for it to work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom