• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Dries said:
Wondering.. how much impact to the graphics settings in the Catalyst Control Center really have? For instance, you can choose between Multi-sample AA, Adaptive MSAA, or Super Sample AA. Say for instance if I play Crysis with 8x AA and also choose for SSAA (which goes for quality instead of performance) how much will it make a big difference if I choose a different mode?

So my main question is: Do the CCC (gaming) graphics settings really make a difference or do they not really matter a whole lot?

CCCs settings don't work all the time its better to set the AA in game. Generally the true AA methods don't apply correctly in DX10/11 but the other post processing AA methods work correctly. In terms of difference SSAA is will degrade performance a lot, MSAA gets best picture for performance and anything less will be more performance, less visual quality.

RADEON%20Driver%20sucess.jpg

Linkup

Win7 64 SP1
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz
4GB Ram
2x HDD 250GB
Geforce 9600 GT
EA500W EarthSeries Antec
1680 x 1050

I want to put a GTX 560,460 or HD 6870,6790

I have some worries about the power supply and those cards. The EVGA 560 SC was what i was going for, but at that resolution it may be pointless with these older parts. GAF?

Dennis

Banned
Just popping in to encourage people to get an SSD for their new rig.

Amazing, amazing development for PCs. Huuuuuge difference to have apps like Photoshop and After Effects installed on a fast SSD.

I swear, next rig I am going to get some insane PCI-based SSD card with like 2 GB/s Read/Write speeds.

theSlacker said:
Really wish those things had another row or two of keys on the top.

Maybe the razer nostromo suits your needs. I only bought the g13 because I got it for 50 percent off with a coupon code.

razer-nostromo-gallery4.jpg

I just needed something to give me a break from the keyboard while playing fps. Insane wrist pain and forearm pain part of it is due to my small desk.

Marco1

DennisK4 said:
Just popping in to encourage people to get an SSD for their new rig.

Amazing, amazing development for PCs. Huuuuuge difference to have apps like Photoshop and After Effects installed on a fast SSD.

I swear, next rig I am going to get some insane PCI-based SSD card with like 2 GB/s Read/Write speeds.
I agree Dennis.
My PC now boots to windows in less than 10 seconds. Also games such as fallout NV and arma pplay brilliantly off one.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone know what the return/replacement policy is like for video cards after sending out the rebate form already?

In my case, it's XFX.

Marco1

gibon3z said:
What improvements did you see in Arma ?
A lot less pop-in from textures which reduced the stutter effect and made the game feel like it was running at the fps it should be.
Any game that suffers from loading massive textures from a mech HDD will greatly improve from a SSD.
Even WoW loads new areas instantly.

Smokey

datamage said:
So I'm sending back the Asus 580 GTX and in its place I installed the MSI Lightning.

I currently have it running @ 950 MHz (1.14v)- seems to be stable but I haven't done enough testing. I also need to tweak this a little more since leaving the fan on auto makes it louder than I'd like, and manually setting the fan to 55% (the highest I tolerate) gets the temps a little hotter than I'd like.

Try it with the Heaven benchmark. I can't get it to stay stable when clocked at or over 950mhz.

DSN2K

awesome my 5770 going for more then I expected on ebay, at £65 with 9mins to go, looks like Im only going to have invest about 60 quid on a 6850 :D

DSN2K

Linkup said:
Win7 64 SP1
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz
4GB Ram
2x HDD 250GB
Geforce 9600 GT
EA500W EarthSeries Antec
1680 x 1050

I want to put a GTX 560,460 or HD 6870,6790

I have some worries about the power supply and those cards. The EVGA 560 SC was what i was going for, but at that resolution it may be pointless with these older parts. GAF?

My advice, upgrade you CPU first, Core2Duo going to hold back those cards.

abuC

demigod said:
Which ram did u get abuC? Their Corsairs are expensive and i dont know
If b&m pricematches newegg.
I was going to order 16gb G. Skill ripjaws X from newegg, the ram at microcenter is expensive like you said.

datamage

Smokey said:
Try it with the Heaven benchmark. I can't get it to stay stable when clocked at or over 950mhz.

I have tested Heaven @ 950, 3DMark 11 (on a loop) for a bit, as well as Crysis for a short while. 950 seems to be stable so far, but I'm going to start lowering the voltage to see if I can lower the temps some.

Heck, I was able to run Heaven successfully @ 975, but 3DMark would crash after the first test.

Hawk269

JJBro One said:
I wouldnt know wether to buy single gpu or sli. Which one do u recommend? This is my first build.

Well some people do not like SLI/Crossfire because not EVERY single game utilizes it very well or drivers are not up to snuff with certain games. When I build my first rig, I went with a single GPU solution, then adopted the SLI solution about 2 months later. While I did have some issues, I quickly learned how to deal with them and now, I really cant imagine going back to a single GPU due to the performance you gain.

Now granted as the next gen of GPU's come out, we may see a very powerfull single GPU and anyone can tell you that if there was a choice of single or SLI/Crossfire setup most would go with a single GPU, but that is if *ONLY* that single GPU can get the results you want.

For me, there is not a single GPU available that can max everygame that is out or at least the ones that I am interested. When you start adding 8xaa, 16AF, long draw distances etc. that all takes horsepower. Right now the best single GPU you can get is a GTX-580 in my opinion.

Here is what you need to ask yourself:

1) What resolution am I going to be playing at?
2) Is 30 FPS good enough or do you demand 60FPS?
3) Is turning on all the bells and whistles in the graphics options something that you want to be able to do?
4) How much do you want to spend?

To me, being a fucking demanding prick that I am, I want to be able to max out my frame rate at 60 and have every option under the sun turned on to get the most pristine image quality out of my games. The only way to do that was for me to go with a SLI setup with 2 580's. Hell, I've thought of 3xSLI, but as it stands, my current rig has been able to handle everything with very few exceptions (Witcher 2 in Ubersampling).

At the end of the day, if there was a single GPU solution that could do Withcher 2 at 1080p, 60fps rock solid and in Uber Sampling mode, I would be all over it like flies on shit, white on rice etc. You get the picture.

Sorry if I caused you to think about more shit, but that is what this thread is here for. If I did not listen to some of the guys/girls here, I would of ended up with a much less powerful rig than I have now and alot of it has been doing alot of reading, asking questions and getting feedback.

There is alot to consider when building a new rig, alot of questions that you may not know of because it is your first time. I would take it slow, read everything you can and then begin to build what you want on Newegg, save it or email it to your box and then just tweak the hell out of your shopping cart until you are happy with what you will have.

Hawk269

datamage said:
I have tested Heaven @ 950, 3DMark 11 (on a loop) for a bit, as well as Crysis for a short while. 950 seems to be stable so far, but I'm going to start lowering the voltage to see if I can lower the temps some.

Heck, I was able to run Heaven successfully @ 975, but 3DMark would crash after the first test.

Really...WoW that is pretty good. I have been messing with my lightnings all day and cannot get it be stable any where above 930. I even had the voltage up to 1.25 *my max* and I could not get 950 stable in Unigine. I could of saved myself alot of time however by running Unigine fullscreen. I noticed that in Window mode, which I was using so I could have Afterburner graphs still showing that one of the GPU's would fluctuate alot, but when I went full screen both cards were pretty much solid 99% usage.

One of the reasons I am not reaching the clocks I want is the fact that I am in a SLI configuration and one lightning can and does overclock differently from another lightning. For Smokey, he is having a hard time at 950, I am having a hard time at 940, it is just the luck of the draw on how your GPU overclocks. It sounds like you got a good one though.

Just make sure you are testing Unigine at fullscreen with everything set to max to get a real idea of how you are doing stable wise.

BTW..Post your FPS, Score from Unigine when you get a chance and also your scores from 3dMark. I will post my stuff when I am done stress testing. I am currenlyt about 1 1/2 hour into letting Unigine run and so far I am rock solid with a 930mhz OC to both cards with memory OC to 2250.

datamage

Hawk269 said:
Really...WoW that is pretty good. I have been messing with my lightnings all day and cannot get it be stable any where above 930. I even had the voltage up to 1.25 *my max* and I could not get 950 stable in Unigine. I could of saved myself alot of time however by running Unigine fullscreen. I noticed that in Window mode, which I was using so I could have Afterburner graphs still showing that one of the GPU's would fluctuate alot, but when I went full screen both cards were pretty much solid 99% usage.

One of the reasons I am not reaching the clocks I want is the fact that I am in a SLI configuration and one lightning can and does overclock differently from another lightning. For Smokey, he is having a hard time at 950, I am having a hard time at 940, it is just the luck of the draw on how your GPU overclocks. It sounds like you got a good one though.

Just make sure you are testing Unigine at fullscreen with everything set to max to get a real idea of how you are doing stable wise.

BTW..Post your FPS, Score from Unigine when you get a chance and also your scores from 3dMark. I will post my stuff when I am done stress testing. I am currenlyt about 1 1/2 hour into letting Unigine run and so far I am rock solid with a 930mhz OC to both cards with memory OC to 2250.

Indeed, I am quite pleased with this card. The Asus Matrix it replaced would crash @ 875 MHz (on stock voltage though.)

I run the Unigine (full screen) @ 1080p, all settings on/high (tesselation on normal however.) I've tested with 4xAA, and with none as well. I'll post screens once I'm confident it's 100% stable.

Smokey

Yeah. I started my OC process over again. Right now I'm at 919mhz @ 1.050v. Temps in mid 60s when I run the benchmark. I was able to get it to 940mhz stable as Hawk said, but 950+ was crash city.

datamage how long have you had your Matrix? Seems like I'm seeing more and more having issues with OCing or performance with the ASUS 580s, including my own experience...

Hawk269

datamage said:
Indeed, I am quite pleased with this card. The Asus Matrix it replaced would crash @ 875 MHz (on stock voltage though.)

I run the Unigine (full screen) @ 1080p, all settings on/high (tesselation on normal however.) I've tested with 4xAA, and with none as well. I'll post screens once I'm confident it's 100% stable.

I would run everything in Unigine at max. Put AA@8x, Tess at Extreme AF @16. This is basically a way to torture test your card and ensure it is stable. It will put more stress on the card, but that is what you want so that you can be sure it is stable. I just completed my 2 hours Unigine run, I did 3 Benchmarks and I am solid at 930mhz, memory at 2220, v-core at 1.168. The V-core is a little high, but my max temp on the top card only hit 82c, which for a 930mhz card sitting in a SLI configuration that is pretty good. My 2ng GPU maxed out at 70c.

Now the thing is, this is in Unigine, both cards running at 99% effectiveness with every graphic feature turned on. There is no gaming scenario that would apply that much tess and being utilzing 2 cards at 99%. However, I do it this way so I know that it is stable and in those occurances where some gams do spike up on the GPU usage, I know it is good and wont crash.

But again, I highly suggest you run Unigine at full throttle to really test your overclock.

Hawk269

Smokey said:
Yeah. I started my OC process over again. Right now I'm at 919mhz @ 1.050v. Temps in mid 60s when I run the benchmark. I was able to get it to 940mhz stable as Hawk said, but 950+ was crash city.

datamage how long have you had your Matrix? Seems like I'm seeing more and more having issues with OCing or performance with the ASUS 580s, including my own experience...

lol...Smokey, you sound as bad as I am when it comes to this stuff. I would say try 930 with voltage at 1.100 and see what happens. The card has the components to run very high voltage and not damage it...I would not worry about the temps too much with this card. Threshold for them is 95c and they would need to be running at 95c for a while to cause damage. For me, as long as my top GPU can stay below 85c I am more than happy (and this is just with benching). In real game enviroment such as Witcher 2 in *NON UBER* I am rock solid 60 with all bells and whisltes and my cards are only running at 65-70 usage, which mean the temps are a nice cool 65-70c for the top card.

Remember Unigine at max power is something that the majority of games wont push, so even though your heat may be higher with Unigine, your real world use (gaming) wont hit that high....well unless you go Witcher 2 Uber sampling, then it would! lol

LordCanti

MrOogieBoogie said:
Anyone know what the return/replacement policy is like for video cards after sending out the rebate form already?

In my case, it's XFX.

I'm pretty sure you can't return it. If it's broken, it would be covered under warranty though.

I believe this was answered a few pages back, but if I buy another 6950 identical to the one I just bought two weeks ago for Crossfire, I don't need to do the whole driver song and dance right?

Shit! Toxic OOS again!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
XiaNaphryz said:
I'm planning to OC as much as possible, and want the flexibility to SLI down the road as well.
Alright. The $250 board is still overkill, but I'm fairly certain it is still solid.
PSU is good too so you are all set. Just make sure the RAM fits under the Noctua and get an Intel or Crucial M4 SSD.
Freyjadour said:
I believe this was answered a few pages back, but if I buy another 6950 identical to the one I just bought two weeks ago for Crossfire, I don't need to do the whole driver song and dance right?

Shit! Toxic OOS again!
Just drop it in.

knitoe

Freyjadour said:

Shit! Toxic OOS again!
Correct. No need to reinstall drivers if it's already supported by the one already installed. You might have to go into CCC and enable Crossfire.

Niblet

gibon3z said:
Just bought one of these for half off.

Hope it solves my wrist pain that I have been getting lately on my left hand.

17680.png

Going to chime in on this. I have a g13 myself. I was putting in A LOT of hours in TF2 last month for about 2 straight weeks. My hand had developed a pronounced strain from using my keyboard. I was scared I was going to develop a condition in my hand. I decided to try using my g13 (which I hadn't used in many moons) and it completely alleviated my hand strain problems. I'm sticking with my g13 for WASD like movement from now on.

RaoulDuke

odd issue with updating drivers for my 5770.

Steam says that there are updated drivers available, so i click yes. the drivers download and catalyst launches and starts updating the drivers. the progress bar gets about 70% through and then just sits there. its been like this for at least 20 minutes. Did the same thing last night.

has anyone else had this happen?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
RaoulDuke said:
odd issue with updating drivers for my 5770.

Steam says that there are updated drivers available, so i click yes. the drivers download and catalyst launches and starts updating the drivers. the progress bar gets about 70% through and then just sits there. its been like this for at least 20 minutes. Did the same thing last night.

has anyone else had this happen?

Yeah, have had the same problem. Uninstall the old drivers and then try it, should work then. I used driversweeper to remove the old drivers.

Niblet said:
Going to chime in on this. I have a g13 myself. I was putting in A LOT of hours in TF2 last month for about 2 straight weeks. My hand had developed a pronounced strain from using my keyboard. I was scared I was going to develop a condition in my hand. I decided to try using my g13 (which I hadn't used in many moons) and it completely alleviated my hand strain problems. I'm sticking with my g13 for WASD like movement from now on.

Glad to hear that.

Keyboard for RTS games.

G13 for fps.

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
lol...Smokey, you sound as bad as I am when it comes to this stuff. I would say try 930 with voltage at 1.100 and see what happens. The card has the components to run very high voltage and not damage it...I would not worry about the temps too much with this card. Threshold for them is 95c and they would need to be running at 95c for a while to cause damage. For me, as long as my top GPU can stay below 85c I am more than happy (and this is just with benching). In real game enviroment such as Witcher 2 in *NON UBER* I am rock solid 60 with all bells and whisltes and my cards are only running at 65-70 usage, which mean the temps are a nice cool 65-70c for the top card.

Remember Unigine at max power is something that the majority of games wont push, so even though your heat may be higher with Unigine, your real world use (gaming) wont hit that high....well unless you go Witcher 2 Uber sampling, then it would! lol

Oh I'm not worried. They are meant for this :)

Just trying to find a happy medium for a OC and not too high of temps as it makes my area warm after a certain point.

datamage

Hawk269 said:
I would run everything in Unigine at max. Put AA@8x, Tess at Extreme AF @16. This is basically a way to torture test your card and ensure it is stable. It will put more stress on the card, but that is what you want so that you can be sure it is stable. I just completed my 2 hours Unigine run, I did 3 Benchmarks and I am solid at 930mhz, memory at 2220, v-core at 1.168. The V-core is a little high, but my max temp on the top card only hit 82c, which for a 930mhz card sitting in a SLI configuration that is pretty good. My 2ng GPU maxed out at 70c.

Now the thing is, this is in Unigine, both cards running at 99% effectiveness with every graphic feature turned on. There is no gaming scenario that would apply that much tess and being utilzing 2 cards at 99%. However, I do it this way so I know that it is stable and in those occurances where some gams do spike up on the GPU usage, I know it is good and wont crash.

But again, I highly suggest you run Unigine at full throttle to really test your overclock.

All right, been doing some more testing, and I am pleased with the results so far. I'm still @ 950, but I appear to be stable with 1.056v. At that voltage and with the fan on auto, I now get to about 56% fan speed and load temps ~70-72.

Mind you, all this time I haven't touched the memory clock, it's my understanding that oc'ing the memory doesn't net much improvement, so I've left it alone. Just now I bumped it to 2150 and things still seem ok. Back to testing I go..

Can you guys post what kind of performance you are getting in the Heaven benchmark? Just want to make sure I'm in the same neighborhood. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jae-F8L said:
Gtx 580 Sli + i5 2500k oc'd powered by a corsair TX850.

Yay or nay?
TX? Nay. It will probably run fine, but ehhhhhh. You have wear on the PSU, caps, running near max capacity, extra heat, not top components, etc.
AX I'd feel more comfortable with.
Or you can just buy a CM Gold 1000W for the same price.

datamage

All right, need to get some sleep, tired of seeing this freaking benchmark.

Current setup- 950 MHz / 2200 Memory / 1.056v (though the OSD shows 1.10?)

Here are a couple of screens:

DMczaf

MrOogieBoogie said:

In my case, it's XFX.

Welcome to the club. I bought a XFX Radeon HD 6870 card a couple of weeks ago, I sent the rebate a week ago, and of course my card craps out on me this week. I sent a support ticket, got a generic reply asking for more info, and now they haven't responded for 2 days.

Good stuff. :\

Smokey

datamage said:

I get 31.5-32 fps on heaven max everything and that's at anything in the 900+mhz range. So I guess it doesn't really matter if I hit 950 or not, still getting crazy performance.

Hawk269

datamage said:

lol. I see you went to 2200 on the memory now as well. I went to 2250 on the memory and added 10 points to the memory voltage just in case. I am rock stable at 930mhz, but I had to apply alot more voltage than what you both had too, so I am not too happy about that, but I am also running 30mhz faster and about 8-10c lower than my older cards, so it is not too bad. I think I might be able to lower the voltage a little more, it just takes a long time to do the Unigine runs properly, then I do 3Dmark and Metro2033 Benches when it passes the Unigine 2 hour test I put it through.

You numbers are in-line with mine. I do run in SLI so my numbers are higher, but here is where I am....sorry, don't know how to post a pic...lol.

Unigine 1080p, Full Screen, Shaders High, Textures High, Filter Tri, Anis 16x, Tess Extreme: FPS: 63.6, Score: 1601, Min FPS: 35.3, Max FPS:160.5. What is interesting is that I had saved a test when I was running at 940mhz and my frame rate was lower, score was lower and minfps was way lower. The only difference between the tests was that I dropped to 930mhz on the core and raised memory to 2250.

Max Temp is 82c...which based on my experience with SLI is normal for the high (top) card to be much warmer than the bottom card..Bottom card tops out at 71c.

So looking at my scores against yours, we are both pretty close, you are running 20mhz faster, with lower voltage and -50 less on the memory. But since SLI is not exactly double performance, if you take that into consideration we are pretty close to each other. And reading Smokey's comments above, his numbers are in the same ballpark so it does look like all of our cards are running pretty close to each other..with yours having the better stability at that voltage and my needing alot more voltage for a bit less core speed.

But like I said, I am happy with the net results and that is also running Unigine which maxes out the cards which in the real world when playing games, they wont be running at 99% capacity.

Do you guys have 3dMark as well? Would be interesting to see your "P" and "X" scores.

Hawk269

Smokey said:
I get 31.5-32 fps on heaven max everything and that's at anything in the 900+mhz range. So I guess it doesn't really matter if I hit 950 or not, still getting crazy performance.

You know, I was reading some reviews when they did othe OC to the card and in some circumstances the high core was actually not giving them much in return. I know Guru3d got a lightining to 960mhz with a 1.2volt and the graphs showed good scalling from the stock speed.

For me, I think I am done at 930, while I would love to hit 950, I dont want to add more heat than what I have and with running 2 of them, it can get toasting and I dont like burnt toast.

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
You know, I was reading some reviews when they did othe OC to the card and in some circumstances the high core was actually not giving them much in return. I know Guru3d got a lightining to 960mhz with a 1.2volt and the graphs showed good scalling from the stock speed.

For me, I think I am done at 930, while I would love to hit 950, I dont want to add more heat than what I have and with running 2 of them, it can get toasting and I dont like burnt toast.

Yep they are great performing cards, albeit expensive. Like mine a lot!

Hawk269

Smokey said:
Yep they are great performing cards, albeit expensive. Like mine a lot!

I just love how they are made. Seperate power just for the memory, which allows you to voltage tweak the memory as well if you want to crank that up. I gave a modest 10 points increase and took the memory to 2250, I did notice that the min-fps in some of my tests improved, not sure if the memory speed boost was the help in it, but it did imrpove only after I bumped up the speed of the memory. I am going to next remove the extra voltage from the memory, but keep it at 2250 to see if it stays stable. To me the less voltage you add the better for overall heat.

Looking at newegg right now, the lowest price for 3Gig 580 is $549.99, the highest is $599 for our lightnings...well outside of the water cooled card. So for $50.00 more, to me the Lightning cant be beat. Evga's 3gb is the second highest price at 589.99 and that comes at stock speeds of 772mhz. So for anyone looking for a 3gig card, I cant say enough about the Lightnings. While expensive, it is a quality product and it is worth the slight $50.00 cost from the lowest price card.

Rezbit

Hey guys!

Some of you might remember that monitor issue I was having, with a sort of banding/pulsating lines thing going on in most games. Sort of solved it but didn't with a friends help. Narrowed it down to pretty much a VGA issue. With my mates monitor and my rig with DVI there was no flickering. With the same but the VGA plug instead there was some banding on his monitor. Then with his (powerful) rig and my monitor with VGA, the banding was crazy and moved up and down the screen. So kind of thinking it's a mixture of VGA being shit and the VGA on my monitor being particularly shit. Likely?

Might need to invest in a DVI/HMDI one me thinks!

coopolon

Niblet said:

Is it because you are using the analogue stick that is reduces the strain? And if so, I assume that means the analogue stick works well? I have the earlier type thing from razr/logitech and the analogue stick was a joke but it looks like the real deal with the g13. I signed up for logitech's email thing so I'm hoping to get a 50% off sometime soon.

Anyone have any suggestions for mice?

I was thinking of getting the Razer Deathadder ReSpawn.
1085807-b.jpg

Main usage; Gaming, Lots of Photoshop and Illustrator work and some modeling.

datamage

Smokey said:

Yeah, I would be happy as long as I was in the 900 range. I don't think the higher clockspeeds are worth the extra heat/fan speeds. (On air anyway.)

Hawk269 said:
Lots of text.

I agree, it's not worth the extra voltage/heat just for 20 MHz.

I decided to mess around a little with the memory clocks, 2200 appears to be ok with no voltage adjustment. I think I'll just leave it there. I don't think there was much improvement going from 2100 -> 2200, but I'd have to double-check.

As for 3DMark 11, my P score was 7782 (Graphics 7567). Don't remember the Extreme score, would have to run that again.

Is there a thread for PC tweaking/benchmarks/etc? Don't want to clutter up this one if it's meant for just purchasing/build advice.

(And hell, I still need to oc my 2600k- it's still sitting @ stock.)

Edit: Oh, and I have the 1.5GB card, not the Lightning Extreme.

WarMacheen

I need some advice

Should I go:

560 sli
560Ti sli
570 sli

Is the price/performance difference between those enough to warrant the extra price of the 570sli and is there a huge difference between 560ti sli and 560 sli?

Also I've been using a Gtx295

also I don't mind sli issues, I've run almost all popular games and never had a deal breaker.

also resolution is 1920/1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom