• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

larvi

Got tired of waiting for a deal on a 2500K so I could start my new build and ordered a I7 2600K instead. Newegg has a $20 gift card promotion with the purchase of the 2600K today. Still not worth the $70 over the 2500K from a cost benefit stand point but the way I look at it the CPUs rarely drop in price and tends to be the component that is the hardest to do an incremental upgrade to. So I'll stick with my radeon 5850 for now and put the $$$ towards a processor and wait for video card prices to drop.

jwhit28

Got tired of waiting for a deal on a 2500K so I could start my new build and ordered a I7 2600K instead. Newegg has a $20 gift card promotion with the purchase of the 2600K today. Still not worth the $70 over the 2500K from a cost benefit stand point but the way I look at it the CPUs rarely drop in price and tends to be the component that is the hardest to do an incremental upgrade to. So I'll stick with my radeon 5850 for now and put the $$$ towards a processor and wait for video card prices to drop.

I don't understand the logic. You were waiting to get the 2500K for less than $229 but then you paid $319 for a small upgrade over the 2500K because it gave $20 back?

After looking around I bit I think I will wait a couple of months. By then I think I'll be looking at that Lian Li case, a 7850, 2500k and the rest for about 900 euros hopefully.

I should really buy a mac to be able to do iOS development, but I just can't bring myself to it. Plus I want to game. It's going to be a difficult few months with just my netbook.

larvi

I don't understand the logic. You were waiting to get the 2500K for less than $229 but then you paid $319 for a small upgrade over the 2500K because it gave $20 back?

Yep, it's like going to the car dealer to buy the base model car but they won't budge off the sticker price becuase it's a hot seller, so instead I buy the upgraded version of the same model where they are offering incentives. I may not need the extra features but they are always nice to have and I figured I got a deal on them. I tend to go more than 2 years between CPU uprades so over the life of the processor the extra $70 isn't that much.

Edit - make that closer to 4 years between cpu upgrades, just looked back through my newegg history and I bought my Q6600 on 5/11/2008. Hopefully will get close to the same service life out of the 2600k

Question:

If I am willing to spend $450 on a GTX580 would it make more sense to just buy the 7970 for the extra $100 or whatever and fullproof my system for the next 2-3 years?

Man, paying $160 for the i5 2500k is making me feel better and better.

Question:

If I am willing to spend $450 on a GTX580 would it make more sense to just buy the 7970 for the extra $100 or whatever and fullproof my system for the next 2-3 years?

I would wait to see what Nvidias offerings will be for this year. IF you can't I'd go with the Radeon. Either way you'll be pretty good for the next 3 years I'm guessing, probably even longer.

larvi

I wish. Was that a Microcenter deal or did you get it online? You can still get one for $179 from them but it would mean another $12.50 in tax plus about the same in gas and a couple of hours of my time which pretty much kills the savings.

mkenyon

Banned
Question:

If you want to, sure. Thing is a breeze to overclock even at stock volts putting up some really impressive numbers.

What are you upgrading from currently? I'm a big fan of Exodu5's ratio of performance gain:price to see if it is a worthy upgrade.

If you want to, sure. Thing is a breeze to overclock even at stock volts putting up some really impressive numbers.

What are you upgrading from currently? I'm a big fan of Exodu5's ratio of performance gain:price to see if it is a worthy upgrade.

You don't even want to know lol. I haven't upgraded my PC in almost 5 years. I currently have a 8800GTS 325.

As of now my upgraded system will be
8 gigs of ram
MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA1155 Intel P67 B3 DDR3 SATA3 and USB 3.0
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black

I wish. Was that a Microcenter deal or did you get it online? You can still get one for $179 from them but it would mean another $12.50 in tax plus about the same in gas and a couple of hours of my time which pretty much kills the savings.

Yea, Microcenter deal near black friday. Had a friend mail it to me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I got my new PC today, and yeah it's a bit of a hassle.

Dell is usually good about not loading on bloatware, but this PC now has McAffee and and some Roxio burning garbage on it. Is it easy to remove this stuff? Or should I just look into doing a clean install of Windows 7?
Just Run CCleaner, remove the entries from startup and uninstall them.
Hey Gaf, I need to buy a new PC. I know this thread is primarily for building your own PC, but do you guys have any recommendations for buying a straight desktop off newegg or tigerdirect? It's primarily going to be used for school, music, and some moderate gaming.

I'm pretty much flying blind in terms of what I'm looking for. I'm not tech savvy in any sense of the word, so is there anything you guys would recommend? My budget is around $750. I already have a monitor and an excellent keyboard/mouse.

Thanks for your help.
Read OP. Fill out section.
The OP recommends a 6870 for both the standard and the budget builds, yet also recommends a 430 Watt PSU. Every 6870 I've come across says it requires a 500 Watt PSU -- some even demand a 550W unit. Is this an error in the builds, or can I realistically run a 6870 on a 430-460 Watt PSU?
The 430W in the OP is more like a 380W, but yes it will run a stock 6870 setup with no issues. You are looking about 300W average load for that system. It's GPU makers covering them selves if you buy a $20 '550W' Logsis or Raidmax PSU that actually only delivers a dirty 300W.

You'll get a better and more efficient PSU if you spend more though.

Smokey

Question:

If you willing to spend $450 I'm assuming it was a 3GB variant of the 580?

While the 580 is still a hell of a card...it did come out in 2010. At this point I'd wait it out for Nvidia's next flagship cards before dropping that kind of money. Or you could go with the AMD 7970 for the extra money like you mentioned. It truly is a beast.

If you willing to spend $450 I'm assuming it was a 3GB variant of the 580?

While the 580 is still a hell of a card...it did come out in 2010. At this point I'd wait it out for Nvidia's next flagship cards before dropping that kind of money. Or you could go with the AMD 7970 for the extra money like you mentioned. It truly is a beast.

Yea, it was going to be for the 580 3GB. Originally I didn't want to go over $400 but if it means being able to not worry about upgrading for 2-3 years, the extra dollars seem worth it.

Smokey

Yea, it was going to be for the 580 3GB. Originally I didn't want to go over $400 but if it means being able to not worry about upgrading for 2-3 years, the extra dollars seem worth it.

The 7970 is the faster card for sure. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a high-end card, IMO it would serve you better to go the AMD route (at this point in time). That is of course depending on your personal situation if you can swing the extra $100.

If the complete machine won't be built for a few months then I'd just wait and see what Nvidia has to offer.

The 7970 is the faster card for sure. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a high-end card, IMO it would serve you better to go the AMD route (at this point in time). That is of course depending on your personal situation if you can swing the extra $100.

If the complete machine won't be built for a few months then I'd just wait and see what Nvidia has to offer.

The GPU is basically the last major part I need, that and disc drive, HDD. So its pretty much just waiting on the GPU.

larvi

The GPU is basically the last major part I need, that and disc drive, HDD. So its pretty much just waiting on the GPU.

Another option would be to just reuse your 8800 or pick up a cheaper ~$100 video card to use in the interim until the new nvidia or ATI models come out or come down in price a bit. At least you can assemble and test what you have now that way. A video card swap is really simple to do later on.

larvi

So I asked earlier about this and didn't get an answer, which is cool, but are motherboards now a days integrated with 5.1 sound?

Just ordered this one for my new comp:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781

I'm not that versed in sound standards but if you look at the details page for that MB it says it has a Realtek ALC887 sound chip, if I look up the specs for that chip it says it is 7.1 compliant which I believe means it should be 5.1 compliant as well:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=44

Branson

Yes but I wouldn't use them unless you don't really care about sound quality or your using coax/spidf out to a dac or receiver.

Ok thanks, so they are, but the quality isn't as good as a dedicated card? I'm going to be hooking up to a 5.1 home theater. It has both hdmi inputs as well as optical.

Oh ok thanks larvi. I see it now. Looks good then. That's what I was missing with my current pc. Gah bf3 will sound much better now.

Fezan

So i have anew problem with my pc.Whenever i start playing a game my lcd starts blinking after every other minute.Game is playing in the background and sounds do come out.but after min or so it goes blank and automatically display image again for a min then again blank.
when i press ctrl+alt+del the screen is visible again

larvi

So i have anew problem with my pc.Whenever i start playing a game my lcd starts blinking after every other minute.Game is playing in the background and sounds do come out.but after min or so it goes blank and automatically display image again for a min then again blank.
when i press ctrl+alt+del the screen is visible again

It could be an overheating issue, what graphics card do you have and do you have any utilities to check system and graphics card temps?

foladar

My current PC is a e6400 + 8600gt with 4gb of ram. I'm looking to upgrade for Diablo 3 basically.

I've already got my 1155 motherboard in hand, going to reuse most parts, except the obvious CPU/GPU combo. Is it worth waiting for the Ivy Bridge, which I've heard is about 2.5 months away, if I was looking at the i5 2400? I saw there's an equiv 2400 coming out, but not sure what the differences are, and the prices should be nearly the same.

Same question I suppose for the $100 range graphics cards, which seems to be mostly the GTX460.

Hey GAF PC folks,

Is there any specific advice for picking out a new graphics card when most of the gaming that I'm going to be doing is at 1366 x 768? It's such a low res that most comparisons don't even both to go close to that low, as they are assuming monitor instead of big screen gaming. My budget is around $150 so I'm guessing that just rolling with a 6850 would be the easiest call. I'm just not sure if that is the right amount of power when I'm pushing so few pixels. My thought was that I could still use the power to just bump up AA and run more post processing effects on a low res to get good IQ. But I don't want to buy wasted power that I don't have to.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
FML! Like a dumbass I didn't bother to do some research before buying the 7970. It doesn't fit into my CM scout unless I cut out the HDD bay. Fuck that... Any Mid-Tower suggestions that will fit a large video card around for around 100 bucks.

njean777

My current PC is a e6400 + 8600gt with 4gb of ram. I'm looking to upgrade for Diablo 3 basically.

I've already got my 1155 motherboard in hand, going to reuse most parts, except the obvious CPU/GPU combo. Is it worth waiting for the Ivy Bridge, which I've heard is about 2.5 months away, if I was looking at the i5 2400? I saw there's an equiv 2400 coming out, but not sure what the differences are, and the prices should be nearly the same.

Same question I suppose for the $100 range graphics cards, which seems to be mostly the GTX460.

If you can wait, just wait. But if you want it now the current processors will be more then enough to handle a gtx460. But you may want to up your budget a bit and pick up a 560ti or 6950 in order to future proof a bit. What resolution are you gonna be gaming at?

Hey GAF PC folks,

Is there any specific advice for picking out a new graphics card when most of the gaming that I'm going to be doing is at 1366 x 768? It's such a low res that most comparisons don't even both to go close to that low, as they are assuming monitor instead of big screen gaming. My budget is around $150 so I'm guessing that just rolling with a 6850 would be the easiest call. I'm just not sure if that is the right amount of power when I'm pushing so few pixels. My thought was that I could still use the power to just bump up AA and run more post processing effects on a low res to get good IQ. But I don't want to buy wasted power that I don't have to.

I got a used 6870 that you can buy for 100$ even. Works perfectly and only been used rarely. But other then that a 6850 or 6870 is more then enough for that resolution.

Fezan

It could be an overheating issue, what graphics card do you have and do you have any utilities to check system and graphics card temps?

nope no over heating issues...cpus around 70c idle and 90 c on load and gpu around 70c on load..
using xfx 6790

foladar

If you can wait, just wait. But if you want it now the current processors will be more then enough to handle a gtx460. But you may want to up your budget a bit and pick up a 560ti or 6950 in order to future proof a bit. What resolution are you gonna be gaming at?

I'm running a 22" and 19" but my main gaming is on the 22" which is 1680x1050 apparently.

larvi

nope no over heating issues...cpus around 70c idle and 90 c on load and gpu around 70c on load..
using xfx 6790

70/90c for the CPU doesn't sound good to me unless this is an original pentium p66 :) Are your fans working, is the heat sink mounted ok? Are you overclocking?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question:

Where are they selling 3gb gtx 580's for $450?

Basic Desktop Questions:

Current Specs:

AMD Athlon Dual Core X2 Processor 5000+
2.6GHZ
3GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4770
Windows XP

(Computer is about 4 years old)

Budget:
$750

Main Use:
Gaming 3/5
general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) -- 5/5.

Monitor Resolution:

1280/1024. For now, I'm just going to use my current monitor.

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play:

Team Fortress 2
World of Warcraft
Half Life 2: Episode 3
The Witcher 2

Are reusing any parts?:
No.

When will you build?:

I plan on purchasing it within a week or two.

Will you be overclocking?:

No.

--------------------

Some general thoughts. I'm not tech savvy in any sense of the word, so I've been looking at using AVA Direct to build the PC for me. Does anyone have experience with them? I've got an excellent keyboard and mouse so I really just need the tower. Also, how much of an increase in performance am I looking at over my previous computer? Thanks for your help.

Fezan

70/90c for the CPU doesn't sound good to me unless this is an original pentium p66 :) Are your fans working, is the heat sink mounted ok? Are you overclocking?

ita q6600 and everything is on stock...i havent opened a case in quite some time so everything should be as before but i will clean and reassemble it.in the meantime i have asked my frnd to bring his monitor so i could check if its not the problem of my lcd

larvi

ita q6600 and everything is on stock...i havent opened a case in quite some time so everything should be as before but i will clean and reassemble it.in the meantime i have asked my frnd to bring his monitor so i could check if its not the problem of my lcd

Yeah, sounds like you just may need a good cleaning or one of your fans may have died. As a point of reference my overclocked Q6600 is running at 29C as I type this.

I got a used 6870 that you can buy for 100$ even. Works perfectly and only been used rarely. But other then that a 6850 or 6870 is more then enough for that resolution.

$100 for a 6870 is a steal. Good price.

FML! Like a dumbass I didn't bother to do some research before buying the 7970. It doesn't fit into my CM scout unless I cut out the HDD bay. Fuck that... Any Mid-Tower suggestions that will fit a large video card around for around 100 bucks.

haf 922 should be plenty big for it. Hell even my smaller haf 912 can fit a 5970 which is a couple inches longer than the 7970

Weenerz

Banned
I'm sure it's my GPU that I need to RMA but I'll ask anyways since I'm stuck at work for another 30 minutes. Sometimes, completely randomly, I'll boot up a game (Skyrim, Magicka, even The Binding of Isaac) and my card will set the fans at max speed and the screen will turn blank.

i5 2500k
gtx 570
8gb ram
generic 500 watt psu

phinious

I'm sure it's my GPU that I need to RMA but I'll ask anyways since I'm stuck at work for another 30 minutes. Sometimes, completely randomly, I'll boot up a game (Skyrim, Magicka, even The Binding of Isaac) and my card will set the fans at max speed and the screen will turn blank.

i5 2500k
gtx 570
8gb ram
generic 500 watt psu

Im no expert, but maybe you need more power?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some general thoughts. I'm not tech savvy in any sense of the word, so I've been looking at using AVA Direct to build the PC for me. Does anyone have experience with them? I've got an excellent keyboard and mouse so I really just need the tower. Also, how much of an increase in performance am I looking at over my previous computer? Thanks for your help.
Something similar to the Enhanced Build. Should be able to get something nearly the same, but with a 6870, might have to step down to a 550Ti, you that's something you can upgrade later along with your monitor size. I'd still get a K CPU because the resale is higher (It's the overclocking version).

i5 2500k
gtx 570
8gb ram
generic 500 watt psu
Need more info, power off? screen black? Does it recover? Hang? BSOD? How often? Other games?

Dr.Acula

Banned
My buddy wants a ~1000 build.

P3QnT.gif

Grand total after tax+shipping = 894.99

The only real problem is the HDD. He might just take one from his old PC for now.

(note, Canadian prices)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm sure the budget cases in the OP are better than that, unless he picked it out himself.
2500K for resale value and possible OC
6950 much better value than 560Ti

Jarmel

Banned
I have a 1600p monitor and two 5870s and I'm wondering if I could run Witcher 2 at near-max settings for the most part and get 30FPS.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a Saitek X52 Pro but I'd recommend that Thrustmasters based on the reviews there. While my Saitek has a lot of features, the mechanics/sensors are not great, and I regret going with Saitek over something less flashy but more precise like the CH Fightstick.

Hi guys, PWEASE HELP!

I've only just recently found out about unRAID and my data storage in my PC has exceeded 10TB.

I've recently moved back home with my parents to save for a house to buy for myself for a while, so we've got two WDTVLive's (my brother and my parents have one). My brother and I live in the garage while my parents are away from us. Anyway, I need to share the media full time because I go to bed early (9pm) and get up early (5am) so they rarely get to use the WDTVLive and I want to make my data secure - it's time to do so.

I think unRAID seems like this perfect solution to me, also seems like the kind of project I can really see myself getting in to.

I've read through the thread and I seem to think I know what I think I need to know, is there anything that people think I should know about before I get started?

I want to use my current drives for the set up - I'm going to pick up a couple more 2TB drives and perhaps a 3TB drive for Parity, but I think it's going to be a slow going process because I'm going to have to set up the unRAID server, transfer the files across to the drives to empty out a drive on my system, then put that drive in the array to expand it's size, then continue the process.

Has anyone else done anything similar?

I currently have 6x WD 2TB Green.

Do I need a DVD drive in the NAS? I don't believe I do. Also, is the USB Flash Drive important or is it not so important? Is it okay to use the SATA ports on the Motherboard or should I use the RAID card?

Is the amount of RAM in a NAS server important? I was thinking of getting 8TB but I'm not sure if that's needed or not, is that too much? Should I just save money and go 4TB?

Here is the setup that I'm expecting to build ATM, please provide any feedback you feel is appropriate:

CPU: Intel i3-2100T
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V-LX
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 1600 DDR3 2x4GB
Parity HDD: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM
Extra HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Green 5900RPM
PSU: Seasonic X-660 660W GOLD PSU
Case: Corsair Graphite 600TM
RAID Card: Adaptec 6805E KIT
USB Flash: Corsair CMFUSBMINI-4GB

I already have 5x2TB WD Green HDD's and 2x1TB WD Green so it will be 14TB all up as I will be keeping one of the 2TB's in my PC for local storage.

I really don't know anything about RAID controllers and that one is $299, is that overkill? I don't know if that's the right Mobo for this purpose either, I know I want an integrated gfx board.

I'm also not 100% sure which case I want to take either. I have loved the Corsair cases all along, I run a 700D as my main PC's case and I've loved the 600T and have always wanted an excuse to buy one for ages so this is a perfect opportunity to add it to my group of ownership It has the potential to hold 11 HDD's.

Other case options I've been looking at include, Fractal R3, Fractal XL, Cosair 650D, Corsair 500R, Corsair 400R, Coolermaster Silencio, Lian-Li V354, Silverston Raven RVO2-E - but they're all so good, it's so damn hard to choose. I'll probably end up with the 600TM though, however it's not square so that is what might make me go towards the Fractal XL or the 650D depending on where I'm going to be putting it. The Lian Li is also nice because it's like a box. 650D is a cool choice because it's like a small 700D and it would go well with the 700D, although it might be overly nerdy to have two cases in the same range that look the same, and also a wee bit boring. The Fractal XL is a perfectly 'plain' and hidden server / NAS style case IMO as it's just blank and so is the Silencio which is also a very quiet case, the Silencio is also the cheapest which is a big bonus. Damnit, so hard to CHOSE. I suck at this.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Is AsRock a good brand in anyones opinion? i've never purchased them before so I got no idea... just the specs on an AsRock Mobo are so superior to the ASUS and Gigabyte board at the same price that I'm considering switching to that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
WTF removing Dell's pre-installed McAfee did something where Windows 7 seems to crash right after start up.

It takes a while for it to connect to wireless and all the icons reload.

Seems like it takes longer for windows to load up in general.

Is AsRock a good brand in anyones opinion? i've never purchased them before so I got no idea... just the specs on an AsRock Mobo are so superior to the ASUS and Gigabyte board at the same price that I'm considering switching to that.

I've had three AsRock motherboards now. No problem whatsoever, and they were all the cheapest ones they offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom