• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Ya I plan on doing some OC on it now. Idle right now is 37c what kind of temps should be safe?

Idle temps mean little. Load temps, while running something like Prime95, are what you should be looking for. You want to keep it under 75C.

diaspora

Is the FX-8350 the best thing I can get at $185 or would I be just better off with the 8320? I can't- and won't spend more than $200 on the CPU, so I'm looking for the best I can get at his pricerange.

etrain911

Should I go with the 3570k or Haswell? I know the general consensus seems to be that the 3570k is just fine. I can't seem to find the best motherboard for it though....

RoKKeR

Ok, 770 is up and running. I'm getting some nasty stuttering in Batman AC. Loaded my optimized CPU defaults for the time being as I was having OC issues. Any idea as to what this stuttering is all about? Latest drivers, yadda yadda.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok, 770 is up and running. I'm getting some nasty stuttering in Batman AC. Loaded my optimized CPU defaults for the time being as I was having OC issues. Any idea as to what this stuttering is all about? Latest drivers, yadda yadda.
Use 314.22 Drivers.

Optimized CPU defaults = ?
Should I go with the 3570k or Haswell? I know the general consensus seems to be that the 3570k is just fine. I can't seem to find the best motherboard for it though....
Depends what your aims are, how value focused you are, how much are you going to overclock if you are going to do that, do you care about any of the Z87 colors or new features?

3570K best gaming value for sure.

solaaire

Neo Member

I'm in the same boat. I don't plan on overclocking though so I'm leaning towards a haswell.

RoKKeR

Use 314.22 Drivers.

Optimized CPU defaults = ?

Just using default CPU clocks because I was having OC issues.

So is there a known issue with 320.18 and stuttering with 700 cards?

I also don't know how to revert to old drivers but I feel like I've seen an explanation here before.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just using default CPU clocks because I was having OC issues.

So is there a known issue with 320.18 and stuttering with 700 cards?

I also don't know how to revert to old drivers but I feel like I've seen an explanation here before.
I think you can just install over them, even if they are older.

See: 1st News post in the OP

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Great, thanks for the heads up.

I get the message "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."
Shoot the 770 is pretty recent isn't it.

Give 320.11 a shot (780 Driver), and if that doesn't solve your issues you'll have to wait it out unfortunately.
Can try replacing some inf file and using 320.27 if you are feeling keen on it.

etrain911

Depends what your aims are, how value focused you are, how much are you going to overclock if you are going to do that, do you care about any of the Z87 colors or new features?

3570K best gaming value for sure.

I plan on OCing a bit and I'm all about the value. I think I'll be going the 3570k and some motherboard....not sure which one yet.

RoKKeR

Shoot the 770 is pretty recent isn't it.

Give 320.11 a shot (780 Driver), and if that doesn't solve your issues you'll have to wait it out unfortunately.
Can try replacing some inf file and using 320.27 if you are feeling keen on it.

Hmm. ETA on new drivers?

Hieberrr

I have a relatively old 2007 (?) Dell XPS 420 which came with an E8400. It runs pretty well, but I was wondering if it could support a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU? I'm not very well versed in PC stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Based on CPU-Z, I have a Dell 0TP406, which according to this site supports LGA775 socket CPUs.

EDIT: Look's like I'm SOL. Can someone confirm?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have a relatively old 2007 (?) Dell XPS 420 which came with an E8400. It runs pretty well, but I was wondering if it could support a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU? I'm not very well versed in PC stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Based on CPU-Z, I have a Dell 0TP406, which according to this site supports LGA775 socket CPUs.

EDIT: Look's like I'm SOL. Can someone confirm?
No go

RoKKeR

June 25th

Shit, what a drag.

In the meantime I might just stick with 320.18 for the time being...

What should I watch out for when it comes to it "killing GPU's"? I can deal with some stuttering but I sure as hell don't want anything to happen to this new card.

diehard

Fleer
Shit, what a drag.

What should I watch out for when it comes to it "killing GPU's"? I can deal with some stuttering but I sure as hell don't want anything to happen to this new card.

On the positive side, we will get the whole "shadowplay" thing which looks pretty dang cool.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm considering an X60 now.
Maybe I should just try to swap chips out first instead. Ugh.

OLR7d9P.jpg

I'm having a really odd problem with my computer. I tried overclocking to 1 GHZ with powertune raised to 20% on my 7950. Apparently, overclocking causes a major performance issue with Metro 2033. Even in the main menu, the framerate falls below 20 FPS once I've raised the clock speed and powertune settings. Strangely, I couldn't fix this by restoring the default settings in Vision Engine Control Center. But when I uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers, performance returned to normal. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Ocho

After weeks of headaches, I finally could get hold of a new PSU and effectively, my old PSU is defective. Tip for the future, guys: If your PC reboots when you open a game instantly, with stable temps, it's the PSU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
After weeks of headaches, I finally could get hold of a new PSU and effectively, my old PSU is defective. Tip for the future, guys: If your PC reboots when you open a game instantly, with stable temps, it's the PSU.
It's one of the things you can check.

I'd go after easily testable things like VRAM, RAM, try different drivers, downclock, check for burst caps, then move to PSU :p

Sober

Looks like most if not all the non-reference GTX 770 designs are out. Are there any standout ones worth getting over another? Or should I just go eVGA for the warranty?

Also is there any point to getting any of them that are OC'd out the gate or could I realistically just crank the stock one they give me up to whatever speeds (it seems more like eVGA is offering those different models at least).

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Shit, what a drag.

I haven't seen a single error report for Kepler GPUs.

My Core 2 Duo -> Haswell upgrade is done. Pics & thoughts later today when I get home from work.
Everything went OK, but I had trouble with POST. Updating BIOS helped that.

I need good torture test software to test my new build.
Memtest went OK, so RAM is good.

Are OCCT and Prime95 still the norm is there something else?

Yup. Some use IBT, but I don't like it.
I'll stick to my good old friend OCCT. ;)

Last night I realized how LONG and tiresome upgrading/building a PC is.
Removing old parts, installing new ones, checking if everything works, BIOS setup, windows install, patches - oh god those fucking patches and service packs - various software & game installs. *sigh*
Every time I do this type of work, I'm excited to start, and then halfway I remember how tedious it is... #getoffmylawn

senahorse

So because of the tanking aussie dollar I decided to play a game of chance and pick up some of my upgrade stuff:

newbies_zpsf45e45b8.jpg~original

2x780's, 16GB Gskill 2400Mhz, 4770K, Samsung Pro SSD 256GB, Asus Maximus VI Hero mb, usb dvd drive (only going to be used for installing windows, office etc), 2TB WD Black HDD for steam. I am going to put a water cooling setup into this sometime in the next month or so but till then I am going to use a D14 and a few corsair case fans, much more cooling stuff to come...

I have already posted my case (Corsair 900D) and PSU (Seasonic 1000W platinum).

P.S. the 770 and other SSD is for my gf's pc

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll stick to my good old friend OCCT. ;)

Last night I realized how LONG and tiresome upgrading/building a PC is.
Removing old parts, installing new ones, checking if everything works, BIOS setup, windows install, patches - oh god those fucking patches and service packs - various software & game installs. *sigh*
Every time I do this type of work, I'm excited to start, and then halfway I remember how tedious it is... #getoffmylawn
Attention to detail over slapping it together!
So because of the tanking aussie dollar I decided to play a game of chance and pick up some of my upgrade stuff:

newbies_zpsf45e45b8.jpg~original

2x780's, 16GB Gskill 2400Mhz, 4770K, Samsung Pro SSD 256GB, Asus Maximus VI Hero mb, usb dvd drive (only going to be used for installing windows, office etc), 2TB WD Black HDD for steam. I am going to put a water cooling setup into this sometime in the next month or so but till then I am going to use a D14 and a few corsair case fans, much more cooling stuff to come...

I have already posted my case (Corsair 900D) and PSU (Seasonic 1000W platinum).
Dos r pretty gud.
Not a fan of the SP120's. Colored rings are nice, but there are much better buys out there. Not terrible for silence on something dense though. The difference between a max SP120 and a CM S-Flow type fan was 5C on my heatsink. 3C at the same RPM.

senahorse

Well there is a story to the fans, they are just a stop-gap. Local computer stores only had 2 GT's between them, my final design is using 16, stay tuned :)

Roulette

Okay.

I need to rebuild my wife's pc. She does some light gaming (Sims 3, MMOs, potentially FFXIV) and a bit of video rendering. Here are the specs I'm thinking of:

D2aYbk6.png

The 2500k CPU/P8H61 mobo/GTX570 are currently in mine, but I thought I'd give her those and put new stuff in mine. For the card, I'll probably get something from this list:

N7AiJ9c.png

Any recommendations?

Already have RAM, storage, dvd drive etc. I'm thinking of putting my GTX 570 in her system, but that still leaves me wondering what to get as a new card for my system. I've been using a 1680x1050 monitor for a few years and will probably be getting a 1080p monitor.

Speaking of which, my wife's second monitor blew up tonight (7 years old, had a good run). I only use the single monitor, but I'll probably be buying a 1080p monitor and giving her my old 1680x1050 one, to go along with hers.

Are there likely to be any issues with her system running 2 monitors (one 1680x1050, one 1280x1024) on a 2500k/GTX570/P8H61 build?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going from a stock q6600 to a i7 4770 @ 4.7ghz is like night and day, thanks to you guys for convincing me to make the upgrade.
Why was your Q6600 at stock?

Also what mobo, voltage, temps are you getting under load? 4.7Ghz is actually on the luckier side of OC results and it should be a volcano at that speed.
Okay.

I need to rebuild my wife's pc. She does some light gaming (Sims 3, MMOs, potentially FFXIV) and a bit of video rendering. Here are the specs I'm thinking of:

D2aYbk6.png

The 2500k CPU/P8H61 mobo/GTX570 are currently in mine, but I thought I'd give her those and put new stuff in mine. For the card, I'll probably get something from this list:

N7AiJ9c.png

Any recommendations?

Already have RAM, storage, dvd drive etc. I'm thinking of putting my GTX 570 in her system, but that still leaves me wondering what to get as a new card for my system. I've been using a 1680x1050 monitor for a few years and will probably be getting a 1080p monitor.

Speaking of which, my wife's second monitor blew up tonight (7 years old, had a good run). I only use the single monitor, but I'll probably be buying a 1080p monitor and giving her my old 1680x1050 one, to go along with hers.

Are there likely to be any issues with her system running 2 monitors (one 1680x1050, one 1280x1024) on a 2500k/GTX570/P8H61 build?
I'd suggest 7950 for value, but all those are nVidia so just pick whatever fits your price budget. I'm not sure how far AUS is behind on releases, but the 760 should be coming out this week at roughly 670 levels (and cheaper).

Apart from that everything looks good. I'd also suggest an XFX or Seasonic PSU as iirc those prices a tad closer in AUS.

Zero problems running dual monitors.

senahorse

SLI question.

Just installed 2 780's, SLI bridge power etc. Boot into BIOS only the top card will output video, if I move the DVI connector to the bottom card it won't display anything. Is this normal behaviour?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got some cash laying around. Tempting to go SLI GTX 670 :/. Never SLI'd before though, and I'm running at 1080p, so the investment probably won't be worth it. Battlefield 3 seems to benefit massively from SLI if benchmarks are anything to go by, so SLI could be awesome for all Frostbite 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom