• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
SLI question.

Just installed 2 780's, SLI bridge power etc. Boot into BIOS only the top card will output video, if I move the DVI connector to the bottom card it won't display anything. Is this normal behaviour?
Make sure all pci ports are on in the bios (asus it's x4 or x1) and enable SLi in the nvidia cp

Got some cash laying around. Tempting to go SLI GTX 670 :/. Never SLI'd before though, and I'm running at 1080p, so the investment probably won't be worth it. Battlefield 3 seems to benefit massively from SLI if benchmarks are anything to go by, so SLI could be awesome for all Frostbite 3 games.
Pointless, you'll be limited by that 2GB VRAM for the next round of games. Better to save the money and pick up a 4+GB Maxwell next year.

kharma45

Screw intel burn test, that pushes your CPU beyond the point ever possible. Prime95 max temps 60-65. IBT 75+ for me

That's why I like it ha.

Is the FX-8350 the best thing I can get at $185 or would I be just better off with the 8320? I can't- and won't spend more than $200 on the CPU, so I'm looking for the best I can get at his pricerange.

I'd go with the 8350 if you can afford it. Are you located close to a Micro Center by any chance?

senahorse

Make sure all pci ports are on in the bios (asus it's x4 or x1) and enable SLi in the nvidia cp

Thanks mate, that fixed it up :). For some reason I expected output from both displays, even in NV control panel when I plug into the second card it tells me I can't do that while SLI is enabled.

Roulette

I'd suggest 7950 for value, but all those are nVidia so just pick whatever fits your price budget. I'm not sure how far AUS is behind on releases, but the 760 should be coming out this week at roughly 670 levels (and cheaper).

Apart from that everything looks good. I'd also suggest an XFX or Seasonic PSU as iirc those prices a tad closer in AUS.

Zero problems running dual monitors.

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I chose nVidia mainly because I've had issues with combining AMD and intel in the past (admittedly this was a few years back). The same store has the 7950 from $AUD308-345, so it may be worth looking at.

As for PSU (and waiting for the 670, for that matter), I'm making the trip to Sydney on the weekend, so I'm planning to make all my parts purchases while I'm there (no shipping that way), but I won't have time to shop around too much, so I'm looking to pick it all up at one place, and they don't have any XFX/seasonic PSU's listed (just the ones on page 2 of this parts list: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf). I might ask about the 670, to see whether it's worth holding off, but I need to get the wife's pc up and running this week or I will get stabbed.

Thanks again!

kharma45

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I chose nVidia mainly because I've had issues with combining AMD and intel in the past (admittedly this was a few years back). The same store has the 7950 from $AUD308-345, so it may be worth looking at.

As for PSU (and waiting for the 670, for that matter), I'm making the trip to Sydney on the weekend, so I'm planning to make all my parts purchases while I'm there (no shipping that way), but I won't have time to shop around too much, so I'm looking to pick it all up at one place, and they don't have any XFX/seasonic PSU's listed (just the ones on page 2 of this parts list: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf). I might ask about the 670, to see whether it's worth holding off, but I need to get the wife's pc up and running this week or I will get stabbed.

Thanks again!

From that list the Corsair HX would be a great buy if it is in budget. It is a Seasonic unit just rebadged.

Paradicia

Anyone here have the Gainward 770 Phantom 4Gb? My brother is interested in buying it. Just curious to see if there are any other benefits besides the card allowing for more monitors.

He's looking to future proof so he hopes the extra 2gb of VRAM will help future down the road. Will there be much difference in buying 4gb over 2gb in the long term?!

Kurdel

Banned
Got my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card working last night. I barely got to try it out because I had issues plugging my headphones in, but now they work.

I can't wait to try them with BF3.

owasog

He's looking to future proof so he hopes the extra 2gb of VRAM will help future down the road. Will there be much difference in buying 4gb over 2gb in the long term?!
That's what I would like to know... Right now 2gb is more than enough, and I'm guessing it will still be enough in 2014, because early multiplatform games were designed for a 4GB PS4 anyway, am I right?

kharma45

Anyone here have the Gainward 770 Phantom 4Gb? My brother is interested in buying it. Just curious to see if there are any other benefits besides the card allowing for more monitors.

We don't know, I'd lean towards saying maybe.

For someone who intends to get a new rig before the end of the year, should I just go ahead and get it over with now, or does anybody know if the next wave of RAM/GPUs are likely to hit before the year's out?

kharma45

I'm no graphics card expert by any means but I'm inclined to believe that at 1080p, 4GB on a card might be overkill.

It is at present.

For someone who intends to get a new rig before the end of the year, should I just go ahead and get it over with now, or does anybody know if the next wave of RAM/GPUs are likely to hit before the year's out?

AMD will have news stuff out in Q4 for both CPU and GPU fields. RAM won't be changing though. AMDs new processors won't be anything faster than intel has out now.

Flaxh

Your planned build: i5 3570k (210€) / 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz DDR3 (68€) / Asus p8z77-v lk (131€) / asus 770 directcu 2 oc (400€) / xfx 650 (85€) / fractal define r4 (108€) / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB 7200 3.5 (60€) -> 1065€
Budget: 1100€ (without display) / Portugal
Main Use: Gaming - 5,General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5, Streaming games in HD - 2, programming - 3
Monitor Resolution: I wanna play at 1080p and I need a new display. I'm moving my tv which I use to play Xbox to another room and I currently have a laptop
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'd like to run current games and 1st nextgen ones at 1080p with 60fps at least
When will you build? I'll order the parts today or next monday
Will you be overclocking?: Yes I guess, but this is all new to me

I would like to buy the SSD now but I think that spending those 100€ on the GPU is better in the long run, while I wait for the SSD to get cheaper. The hyper 212 evo is cheap but I dont know a thing about OC, so I was planning on buying him later with the SSD.

About the display, I like the Benq X2411T and the Asus VG23AH, 2 really different options. I'd like to use the display with both the PC and my console but I saw that the Benq has no speakers, so what would be a good solution? I have headphones but I dont like to wear them 24/7.

Quoted to see if I can get feedback.

It's here!

*770 Pic*

Anything I need to know before installing? I've taken out my GPU before but never installed a new one.
Ok, 770 is up and running. I'm getting some nasty stuttering in Batman AC. Loaded my optimized CPU defaults for the time being as I was having OC issues. Any idea as to what this stuttering is all about? Latest drivers, yadda yadda.
Nice! Got mine yesterday, too. Got it installed, replacing my 660Ti and the 320 drivers installed, no problem.

The front headphone jack on my computer case that runs to my soundcard decided to stop working immediately after the upgrade, but after a couple of reboots, and plugging and unplugging directly into the sound card, everything seems to be working for absolutely no reason!

I fired up Bioshock Infinite and man, is the frame rate smoother at 1440p maxed out than with the 660Ti! Definitely a needed upgrade. It's amazing how much framerate actually makes the game look prettier.

Either the upgrade process or the newer drivers made the game a little bit buggier than the 314 drivers on the 660Ti, but I'm assuming it's just the new GPU-driver combo that's causing the issue.

Plan is, subject to change, of course, to run with the 4GB 770 for a year, and then sell it and hop on to an 880 for hopefully only a $100. I'm running at 1440p and 96Hz, so with the goal of eventually hitting my refresh rate, even a 770 isn't enough, though plenty for now.

kharma45

Canada, so NCIX. Also the 8350 sale is over but at least it's still $199...

Both are good, but with the 8350 you're more likely to achieve better speed if you're wanting to overclock it, as the starting point is higher and they're likely higher binned chips.

You're right, I'm sorry. This is the build I'm planning to buy.

In that case your build looks good.

Monitor wise I'd go for the BenQ as it's 144Hz. With regards to speakers just get a cheap pair of Logitech's or something like that.

GPU wise you could get a 7950 or a 7970 which should be cheaper than the 770, might help work in an SSD for you. As for overclocking it is extremely easy to do, and since the Hyper 212 is so cheap you might as well get it now and have it fitted.

Tomas

Banned

There is no point in getting a 4GB 770. It is not made to run with this amount of memory therefore it barely gives any performance benefit even in triple monitor setups.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/

Also, even if you are getting a 4GB model, Gigabyte is a better brand and I believe cheaper. Phantom takes 3 slots, you should keep that in mind if your brother is interested in ever going SLI.

Another option is to get 780 which should be as close to future proof as you need to get. It should be 150-200$ more than Phatom 4GB Edition.

hwy_61

Banned
Hello everyone! I'm sorta clueless on PC customization. I mean, I know how to install things and run drivers, but kinda lost when it comes to upgrading parts. My friend originally helped me pick out parts for my current PC. I'm running with a budget GPU, and I wanted to know if I could upgrade to a much more expensive one ($300-$500).

These are my current specs. Any advice is much appreciated.

Core i7 920 Bloomfield
6GB DDR3 RAM
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GTX 550ti
Corsair modular 620watt
Lian Li PC-K62 Case

If I'm missing anything, I'm sorry. Kind of an amateur here!

kharma45

Hello everyone! I'm sorta clueless on PC customization. I mean, I know how to install things and run drivers, but kinda lost when it comes to upgrading parts. My friend originally helped me pick out parts for my current PC. I'm running with a budget GPU, and I wanted to know if I could upgrade to a much more expensive one ($300-$500).

These are my current specs. Any advice is much appreciated.

Core i7 920 Bloomfield
6GB DDR3 RAM
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GTX 550ti
Corsair modular 620watt
Lian Li PC-K62 Case

If I'm missing anything, I'm sorry. Kind of an amateur here!

For $260 you can get a Sapphire 7950 at the minute plus 4 free games, it's a fucking steal tbh http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=. Of course too with that budget you could get a 7970 or a 770 but that 7950 is imo incredible value for money, and that plus a Hyper 212 would still come in under your lower end budget.

What I would also do is look into overclocking your i7 920 if you haven't already. You should hopefully be able to take it up to around 3.8GHz, here's a couple of links that might be of use

http://www.overclock.net/t/968356/overclocking-i7-920-on-asus-p6t-deluxe-v2

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252776-29-asus-deluxe-overclocking-questions

To get a good OC you'll need a third party cooler if you don't already have one, Hyper 212 is a good one for not much outlay http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=hyper+212&N=-1&isNodeId=1

hwy_61

Banned
For $260 you can get a Sapphire 7950 at the minute plus 4 free games, it's a fucking steal tbh http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=. Of course too with that budget you could get a 7970 or a 770 but that 7950 is imo incredible value for money, and that plus a Hyper 212 would still come in under your lower end budget.

What I would also do is look into overclocking your i7 920 if you haven't already. You should hopefully be able to take it up to around 3.8GHz, here's a couple of links that might be of use

http://www.overclock.net/t/968356/overclocking-i7-920-on-asus-p6t-deluxe-v2

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252776-29-asus-deluxe-overclocking-questions

To get a good OC you'll need a third party cooler if you don't already have one, Hyper 212 is a good one for not much outlay http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=hyper+212&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Thanks for the OC links! I have this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Is that one alright, or should I grab the one you recommended?

kharma45

It should be ok that one, try it first and see what sort of level you can get to with clock speed, voltage and temperatures before considering anything else. 4GHz is pretty much the very top end you can expect for an i7 920, 3.8GHz is probably a realistic target.

diehard

Fleer
Anyone have a corsair hx series? My hx850 will sit there silent and then all of a sudden go to 100% fan speed to cool it back down, its pretty annoying.

Got all my parts in and had a horrible time trying to get my ASUS P8Z77-V LK to book, with just memory/cpu it booted very inconsistently, with my GPU added on I was only able to get it to boot once..

Looking at the newegg feedback there's a shitload of DOA claims for this board, but I think I'm gonna return my RAM and purchase QVL RAM first before trying to replace the board.

kennah

Got all my parts in and had a horrible time trying to get my ASUS P8Z77-V LK to book, with just memory/cpu it booted very inconsistently, with my GPU added on I was only able to get it to boot once..

Looking at the newegg feedback there's a shitload of DOA claims for this board, but I think I'm gonna return my RAM and purchase QVL RAM first before trying to replace the board.

What's your powersupply?

kennah

It's a GTX 560 1GB

OH, my questions might be moot anyway, I misread your original post - I thought it booted consistently with the CPU in and stopped working with GPU. Yeah. RMA that board after doing all the standard 'why won't this boot checks'

Reseat everything (video card, ram)
Make sure your fans are plugged in and intot he right ports (cpu fan into cpu fan header)
make sure your heat sink has a good contact and isn't loose
Unplug everything from the motherboard (USB, SATA, lan, et cetera) except for keyboard, boot drive and video.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Another tweak to my build, decided that sacrificing a 7950 down to a 7870 OC (1100Mhz model) will allow me to stick a better motherboard in from the start. I also figured that when you're upgrading from a lowly 7750, the difference between the 7870 OC and a 7950 is relatively small :p

Also stepping down as advised by mkenyon from a H100i to a H80i, not going down as far as the H60 2013 though as I want some headroom for possibly higher OC's in the future.

So:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Cooler: Corsair H80i Extreme Water Cooler
M'board:Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Memory:16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
HDD: 1TB WD10EZEX
DVD: 24x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: 650W Corsair TX V2

16GB Ram is going to make my desktop & two VM set-up much much sweeter, My current split of 4GB Host / 2 x 2GB Guests will sing with 8GB Host / 2 x 4GB Guests instead :D (Honestly, with a 3 Monitor set-up, having a Hackintosh guest on left, Windows Host centre and a Linux Mint guest on the right is seriously awesome! :D)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got some cash laying around. Tempting to go SLI GTX 670 :/. Never SLI'd before though, and I'm running at 1080p, so the investment probably won't be worth it. Battlefield 3 seems to benefit massively from SLI if benchmarks are anything to go by, so SLI could be awesome for all Frostbite 3 games.

Yes. They are 2GB GPU's as noted but I have no issued running most of BF3 at 60fps or higher through anything the game throws at me during MP. I have MSI 670's and there are absolutely 0 regrets for gaming at 1980p resolutions all the way up to 1800p res.

kennah

Another tweak to my build, decided that sacrificing a 7950 down to a 7870 OC (1100Mhz model) will allow me to stick a better motherboard in from the start. I also figured that when you're upgrading from a lowly 7750, the difference between the 7870 OC and a 7950 is relatively small :p

Also stepping down as advised by mkenyon from a H100i to a H80i, not going down as far as the H60 2013 though as I want some headroom for possibly higher OC's in the future.

So:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Cooler: Corsair H80i Extreme Water Cooler
M'board:Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Memory:16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
HDD: 1TB WD10EZEX
DVD: 24x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: 650W Corsair TX V2

16GB Ram is going to make my desktop & two VM set-up much much sweeter, My current split of 4GB Host / 2 x 2GB Guests will sing with 8GB Host / 2 x 4GB Guests instead :D (Honestly, with a 3 Monitor set-up, having a Hackintosh guest on left, Windows Host centre and a Linux Mint guest on the right is seriously awesome! :D)

I don't see an SSD in there ;)

Okay. Very simple set of questions.
1. Is a 780 significantly better than a 670, considering it's almost twice the price? (I'm assuming yes)
2. Will a 12v single rail with 53amps be enough for a 780, considering there is one SDD, one 2TB HDD, one Bluray/DVD drive and a few fans? (Again I'm assuming yes).

Thanks in advance.

Flaxh

In that case your build looks good.

Monitor wise I'd go for the BenQ as it's 144Hz. With regards to speakers just get a cheap pair of Logitech's or something like that.

GPU wise you could get a 7950 or a 7970 which should be cheaper than the 770, might help work in an SSD for you. As for overclocking it is extremely easy to do, and since the Hyper 212 is so cheap you might as well get it now and have it fitted.

Im trying to spend as much as possible on the gpu so that it is future proof for a while because I dont know if i can buy a new one next year or so. The problem is that the 7970 costs almost the same here as the 770 and the 7970ghz is 35€ more expensive. Also, I saw that this version of the 770 is easily overclockable and thats is good for me :D

that cooler costs 27€, I might go for it then. What would be a good oc easily achievable?

I dont know where you're from but let me tell you Ill buy you a few drinks if we ever met because you've helped a lot so far, thank you.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I don't see an SSD in there ;)

Capacity / Price just isn't quite there for me yet, I'd need a MLC drive of 256GB minimum to feel comfortable as a System / App drive and even with juggling budget / components the best I could manage would be a 128GB, which really won't work for me.

Besides, any route to upgrade and add that kind of performance in time is a good thing right?... :p

kennah

Capacity / Price just isn't quite there for me yet, I'd need a MLC drive of 256GB minimum to feel comfortable as a System / App drive and even with juggling budget / components the best I could manage would be a 128GB, which really won't work for me.

Besides, any route to upgrade and add that kind of performance in time is a good thing right?... :p

True, for your needs you'd probably need 2 - 3 128gig drives. I was mostly giving you a hard time, looks like you planned this out pretty well.

I'm also a little interested in learning how you VM the hackintosh stuff. I'm just straight up building a second computer for mine.

kharma45

Im trying to spend as much as possible on the gpu so that it is future proof for a while because I dont know if i can buy a new one next year or so. The problem is that the 7970 costs almost the same here as the 770 and the 7970ghz is 35€ more expensive. Also, I saw that this version of the 770 is easily overclockable and thats is good for me :D

that cooler costs 27€, I might go for it then. What would be a good oc easily achievable?

I dont know where you're from but let me tell you Ill buy you a few drinks if we ever met because you've helped a lot so far, thank you.

If you want longevity the 7970 (forget about the GHz editions, you can overclock a standard one to that speed yourself, and beyond) is I feel a good buy. 3GB VRAM on a nice wide bus with good overclocking headroom itself, and http://www.niposom.pt/ are listed as doing the Never Settle reloaded bundled. 770 is still a great card though.

Overclocking wise you'd be hopefully looking around 4.5GHz.

Ashes

Banned
Well that's a bother. Just got a new PSU (corsair 430). And muddled up something, as everything seems to be on but nothing comes up on screen.
Edit: changed 4pin atx. Boots up now. Patience is a virtue.

Wallach

My new i5-3570k cores are reporting kind of funny. 0 and 3 seem to be idling around what I expected (30c), core 1 is about 25c and core 2 claims 20c (which is obviously bullshit). Under load, core 1 moves up indicating it is just getting turned off at idle which is what I expected, but core 2 remains about 4-5c cooler than the other cores under load. I've heard about a lot of inconsistency with SB/Ivy chips reporting, so for now I don't think I'm going to do anything but it's kind of annoying.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My new i5-3570k cores are reporting kind of funny. 0 and 3 seem to be idling around what I expected (30c), core 1 is about 25c and core 2 claims 20c (which is obviously bullshit). Under load, core 1 moves up indicating it is just getting turned off at idle which is what I expected, but core 2 remains about 4-5c cooler than the other cores under load. I've heard about a lot of inconsistency with SB/Ivy chips reporting, so for now I don't think I'm going to do anything but it's kind of annoying.
Idle sensors are crap on Ivy. Load differences are normal.

sFyY39r.png

RoKKeR

For the time being I'm going to use the beta 320.08 that came with the 770, as they should at least be not as risky as 320.18. This is quite a bummer, but hopefully the new drivers will be out soon.

scogoth

For the time being I'm going to use the beta 320.08 that came with the 770, as they should at least be not as risky as 320.18. This is quite a bummer, but hopefully the new drivers will be out soon.

I was under the impression that that keplar cards were fine with 320.18.

Are you sure you are running it at 4.7ghz? And is that a 4770k or just a 4770?

Are you on watercooled? What are your temps?
4770k, and im using a phanteck fan for cooling.

Why was your Q6600 at stock?

Also what mobo, voltage, temps are you getting under load? 4.7Ghz is actually on the luckier side of OC results and it should be a volcano at that speed.

It was stock because I really didn't feel like buying a new fan and doing the install, was lazy lol, so I decided to get a new build and just do everything with it.

Using a Asus z87-Pro, load it gets to 65c-68c, idles at 40c.

Im super lucky with it to be honest, I was reading only 20% of the 4770k can get at that speed and be cool enough to be stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom