• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Ok so I've been out of PC gaming for a while now.... The last card I installed was a voodoo 3. Having said that I have a HP Pavilion desktop with an A85500 APU, 8gb ddr3, 1 tb had 7200rpm, and amd radeon 7560d. Using a benchmarking tool I was able to tell in noob terms that the PC had pretty solid performance with the gpu needing an obvious upgrade.

My question is in you opinion what is the most beefy card this rig can handle, and which would you recommend? Many thanks Sr gaffers

Depends on your PSU.

asdad123

So I dont really use my PC for much except browsing GAF/Excel/Word so Im thinking of selling it, but I dont know what would be a fair asking price. Can anyone here chime in on how much I would possibly be able to sell this for?

-Silverstone FT-03 mini itx Silver
-SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W SFX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
-i7 4770k
-Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI LGA 1150 mini ITX Intel Motehrboard
-Samsung 840 SSD, 500gb
-Slim DVD Drive
-EVGA GTX680 2gb with Warranty until 3/2015
-Seidon 120m CPU Cooler
-8gb Kingston ram (2x4gb)
-no OS

Im not even sure how much these parts are worth anymore since I know new graphics cards came out recently.

Would $900 be a fair asking price?

I just ordered this video card, looks to have a very good cost benefit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202078

it seems a bit unclear what the speed is and how many stream processors; any idea why this video card is cheap? Here is the link to the info from the Sapphire website:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2043&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

It worries me that it says "Up to 1020/Boost: Up to 1070 MHz Core Clock" and "up to 1280 x Stream Processors". Should I be worried?

I have a question about installing a CPU fan/heatsink. I have a Cooler master hyper 212 evo and I'm confused as to which side of the heatsink the fan should be facing.

My case has a fan in the back which is right next to the CPU. Should I mount the CPU fan so that it faces the back of CPU or the front?

ithH0l1ivzUiy.png

Serandur

I know it's the retailers fault and not AMD's. I do find myself hoping that Litecoin is a failure and people trying to make easy money lose a shit ton of it.
Agreed. Litecoin mining is ruining what should be a fantastic performance-per-price gaming GPU line. Messing with market share too. This sucks.

Significantly. The PS4's GPU is around 660 levels.

Depends on the settings and the area, but you should get around 60+ with dips to the 40s.
Cool, thanks.

Is the PS4 really that low spec? I did a little googling and I'm reading gtx 770 levels or a radeon 7970?

Maybe PR lies?

Anyway, the reason why I'm asking is if I should've just got a PS4 instead of buying a pretty expensive gpu. Even though I got a used one for cheaper, I just wanted to feel assured that I didn't waste money now and just should've waited to get a more powerful one later on.

Ah well, can't return it now but still wanted to make sure.

ezekial45

Banned
Whats the name of that cable that plugs the HDD/SDD and Optical drive into the motherboard?

I have to get another one. I only had two and my SSD and Optical drive needed them.

TheD

The Detective
Cool, thanks.

Is the PS4 really that low spec? I did a little googling and I'm reading gtx 770 levels or a radeon 7970?

Maybe PR lies?

Anyway, the reason why I'm asking is if I should've just got a PS4 instead of buying a pretty expensive gpu. Even though I got a used one for cheaper, I just wanted to feel assured that I didn't waste money now and just should've waited to get a more powerful one later on.

Anyone that says that the PS4 is as fast as a GTX 770 or HD7970 is an idiot.

kharma45

Cool, thanks.

Maybe PR lies?

PS4 GPU isn't close to one of those in terms of performance.

diaspora

Cool, thanks.

Maybe PR lies?

LOL. The 7970 and 770 absolutely crush the PS4's GPU in performance with the CPU being built for tablets.

Erebus

CPU-wise, it's similar to what's in the iPad Air or iPhone 5S.
Oh come on now, that can't be right.

Anyways, this is the second time I've come across this weird issue on my PC so any input would be useful. This is what's happening: all running programs are displaying error messages (e.g. "Skype application has encountered an error and needs to close", random Firefox plugins being terminated etc), then Windows is crashing and all I see is a black screen and have to restart the PC manually.

I'm on Windows 7 btw.

The Asus B85M-G is a really nice quality mATX board.

I'd swap the RAM and PSU for these

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81.Amp-UP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($165.67 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($89.99)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($10.77 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech SBF-96 Wired Optical Mouse ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $827.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-13 05:40 EST-0500)

On the GPU front the R9 270 is around $180 as an alternative. A wee bit faster, can make full use of its 2GB VRAM and comes with BF4 for free. 660 is a decent card though still.

It's not just the length of the warranty that is important but also the turnaround time, somewhere EVGA has MSI totally licked. The better cooler is marginal at best, 1 degree cooler under load and makes 0.7dB less noise.

Thanks for the feedback. We will be ordering tonight so hopefully all goes well.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh come on now, that can't be right.

Anyways, this is the second time I've come across this weird issue on my PC so any input would be useful. This is what's happening: all running programs are displaying error messages (e.g. "Skype application has encountered an error and needs to close", random Firefox plugins being terminated etc), then Windows is crashing and all I see is a black screen and have to restart the PC manually.

I'm on Windows 7 btw.
Per the CPU thing, it's definitely correct. The CPU is anemic as hell. That's why they can't emulate backwards compatibility.

The plus side is that it does a perfect job of serving up 33.3ms frames in games, and consumes a very tiny amount of power. It's also forcing a move towards n-threaded applications, which is great.

As per the crash, sounds like a nasty software error. I'd look at removing the plugin in question, and reinstalling it. Maybe reinstall Firefox and Skype as well?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a printer? I don't really know shit about them. Is $100 a good budget for something that maybe does a little picture printing (but will mostly be used for papers and shit).

TheD

The Detective
Per the CPU thing, it's definitely correct. The CPU is anemic as hell. That's why they can't emulate backwards compatibility.

The plus side is that it does a perfect job of serving up 33.3ms frames in games, and consumes a very tiny amount of power. It's also forcing a move towards n-threaded applications, which is great.

As per the crash, sounds like a nasty software error. I'd look at removing the plugin in question, and reinstalling it. Maybe reinstall Firefox and Skype as well?

No, it is not as slow as what is in the ipad or iphone.

They are only low clocked dual core CPUs, for them to be as fast as the 8 cores of the PS4 they would have to have as good or better IPC than a Sandy Bridge, which they do not (not even close).

ScOULaris

Am getting a CM Hyper 212 EVO for Christmas to replace the stock cooler on my AMD FX 6300 Black Edition CPU, and I just noticed that the cutout on my case that gives me access to the back of my mobo is just ever so slightly obstructing the top two screws of the back mounting plate for the cooler. Gonna have to take the whole damn mother board out when it comes time to install the new cooler. :/

PS - If anyone else has had problems getting your PC to reliably recognize a CM Quickfire-line mechanical keyboard, try setting Legacy USB support to Auto in your BIOS. After much hair-pulling, this is what finally fixed my issues with the QM Quickfire Pro (Cherry Browns). Just figured I'd pass this info along since it appears to be a common problem with this particular line of keyboards.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Got a random dispaly crash when playing Crysis 1. 780 is OC and I am using 8.1
I have 30 + hours of BF4, tons of metro last light and I have done multiple firemark extreme tests. Should I conclude its a game issue, possibly with windows? I rebooted the computer and played through fine both non OC and OCed.

Game is 8 years old and made for Vista. What do you guys think?

I had issues with Crysis 1 and Warhead crashing. I believe it is Nvidia driver related as I'm now using AMD and both are stable. They were both stable using a 670 but suddenly after a driver update started crashing and only rolling back the driver worked at the time.

RS4-

We used to or still have PC troubleshooting thread right? I'll ask here just in case there isn't one anymore.

Completely wiped 7 and did a fresh install of 8.1 a few weeks ago an on SSD; just random issues that get annoying.

- lately when I empty the recycling bin, it takes a handful of seconds before it asks me for confirmation.
- file explorer > then access the E drive, or anything but C (SSD), it takes time to actually populate the contents of that specific partition. There's no pattern to it, it just randomly does it.
- random mini lockup/freeze in FF if I open a link from Skype, iRC, etc.

Every single one of these are just completely inconsistent when it happens.

Can't remember what else has been bothering me, but these are off the top of my head.

Any thoughts?

Oh, re: the HDD thing, even after running it through Defraggler, same thing.

edit - ...lol, completely missed the link in OP.

ElementJJ

Banned
- lately when I empty the recycling bin, it takes a handful of seconds before it asks me for confirmation.
- file explorer > then access the E drive, or anything but C (SSD), it takes time to actually populate the contents of that specific partition. There's no pattern to it, it just randomly does it.
- random mini lockup/freeze in FF if I open a link from Skype, iRC, etc.

The slow HDD population in explorer might be because WIndows is putting the drives to sleep, so until the drive spins up it wont load the contents. You can adjust that setting in power saving settings.

Rest of it might be WIn8.1 issues.

Some pics of my Node 304 build

YPV4kRR.jpg

h48hk7n.jpg

ykC1rxk.jpg

Exile550

Guys, I think it's time to upgrade my GTX280. I've been out of the loop last couple of years on the video card front. Can anyone point me to an Nvidia card? Not sure of my budget on this yet.

Thanks!

Guys, I think it's time to upgrade my GTX280. I've been out of the loop last couple of years on the video card front. Can anyone point me to an Nvidia card? Not sure of my budget on this yet.

Thanks!
780 Ti seems to be the new hotness in terms of high end stuff ($600+), 760 is the midrange choice ($250 IIRC).

Thorgal

out of curiosity i decided to take a look at that 780 ti kingpin edition again .

Is it just me or does this things casing look a little flimsy for the beast of a card that it is ?

92yA5b5.jpg

I know outward appearance never tells the whole story but it's just something i noticed .

scogoth

out of curiosity i decided to take a look at that 780 ti kingpin edition again .

Is it just me or does this things casing look a little flimsy for the beast of a card that it is ?

92yA5b5.jpg

I know outward appearance never tells the whole story but it's just something i noticed .

If you are buying this card and keeping that cooler then this card is not for you. The stock cooler is almost a farce as it is nowhere near enough cooling to push this card. This card was only designed for high end water cooling and LN2.

Thorgal

If you are buying this card and keeping that cooler then this card is not for you. The stock cooler is almost a farce as it is nowhere near enough cooling to push this card. This card was only designed for high end water cooling and LN2.

Oh . i know. i was just looking at it .

Think i might finaly go and bite the bullet on that 780 ti ACX cooler.

Iam done waiting .

Hi guys, I’m hoping maybe someone here can help me to decide on which gaming keyboard would be the best one for me to buy. I have been looking at buying the CM Storm QuickFire TK with CHERRY MX Red Switches, because it’s a Fully red LED backlit Mechanical Keyboard, has good reviews, and it will match my CM PC case (As well as the CM Storm Recon mouse that I’m also planning on buying). The only concern I have of this keyboard is that if I will be able to get used to the compact design. Mainly with the arrow keys combine within the number-pad block.

As for the other keyboard, I’ve recently came across the SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard at Best Buy. The major selling point of this keyboard for me is the SteelSeries Engine software. I really like the idea that it will let me change any key to be a different keystroke (which mean I shouldn’t have to deal with ahk scripts as much), and the ability to customize the colors of the backlit LEDs. However my biggest concern with the keyboard is that it is advertise to support anti-ghosting for only 20 keys.
SteelSeries has chosen 20 of the most commonly used keys in games in the anti-ghost key list:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
- Q, W, E, R, A, S, D, F,
- Left-Ctrl,
- Left Shift,
- Space bar
- 4 arrow keys
If I’m to understand it correctly, besides the 20 keys mention above, will all the other keys on the keyboard not have anti-ghosting? If so, that will be a big problem for me since that I’m a left handed gamer, so most of the keys I commonly used are on the right side of the keyboard.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of the two keyboards (or their manufacturers) mention above, which maybe can help me make my mind up on which keyboard to get. :)

Azzurri

Is DDR4 a huge upgrade from DD3? Looking to build a new PC, but don't want to pull the trigger if something new is like a month away.

I really want to wait for Maxwell, but I figured I'll go with a 780ti now and sell it once Maxwell is released and if it's worth the upgrade.

kharma45

Is DDR4 a huge upgrade from DD3? Looking to build a new PC, but don't want to pull the trigger if something new is like a month away.

I really want to wait for Maxwell, but I figured I'll go with a 780ti now and sell it once Maxwell is released and if it's worth the upgrade.

Its not worth worrying about. End of 2014 for enthusiast socket and 2015 for the mainstream.

CRS

All that's left is the tubing and a valve and I'll be ready to water cool.

Unfortunately, I forgot to delete a few fans (the high performance sp120) sp now I have extra fans. Don't want to return since I'll be charged with a restocking fee and shipping charges. So if anybody is water cooling and need a pair of Corsair SP120 High Performance fans, let me know and I'll ship them to you for $25. And if not, I'm sure I can save them or test them out and see how loud they really are compared to the Quiet Editions.

kharma45

Hi guys, Could I get some advice on psu choice?

I've gone for a Powercool ATX 850W Power Supply 80 Plus http://www.cclonline.com/product/42...Supplies/850W-Powercool-Power-Supply/PSU1185/

My spec is
INTEL i5-3570K 3.4GHZ
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
16GB DDR3 memory
GTX 760
120gb ssd
2tb hdd

I may OC the cpu down the road.

It hasn't shipped yet so I could cancel and go for another.

Thanks for any help given.

Cancel asap.

For a single GPU ~550w is plenty, get a quality PSU rather than that like this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/530w...e-87-eff-120mm-silentwings-fan-eps-12v-atx-v2

Potential OP update. Let me know if you have any thoughts:

EHaWm9W.png

cFokePZ.png

Imgur isn't working for me D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom