• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Need some help here gents. I recently installed an H60 and despite low temps (27-30C) I keep seeing thermal shutdown events, turning off my PC.

This isn't making much sense.

kennah

Everything's fine temp wise, it will shutdown without any load and low temps.

Wondering if this old CPU is read for pasture or if the thermal compound didn't set right.

Are you sure it isn't GPU or some errant sensor setting things off?

Also try resetting your BIOS to defaults and see if that helps.

CRS

Cooling loop is running and besides a stupid mistake in the beginning, no leaks so far!

I think it should be up and running by tonight!

TheBear

I recently upgraded to an i5 cpu & mobo, along with a 7970. I was very happy with the performance, however the 7970 just wasn't compatible with my tv so I returned it.
I was going to wait for a non-ref 290, but the prices seem out of whack. Are new cards on the way? My 560ti is still chugging along, should I wait for new cards or just grab a 290 when the market stabilizes?

kharma45

I recently upgraded to an i5 cpu & mobo, along with a 7970. I was very happy with the performance, however the 7970 just wasn't compatible with my tv so I returned it.
I was going to wait for a non-ref 290, but the prices seem out of whack. Are new cards on the way? My 560ti is still chugging along, should I wait for new cards or just grab a 290 when the market stabilizes?

That seems unusual, I can't imagine why it wouldn't have worked.

New cards at the end of 2014 probably.

TheD

The Detective
I love how all these prebuilt pcs come with beastly CPUs and old GPUs :/

My friend's computer came with a 3570k and a 620. It was so bad that I always made fun of it.

Yeah, it is stupid how so many big computer manufactures sell really pricey PCs and claim that they are for gaming, yet put an ultra shit GPU in them.

A few days ago I ran across this horrible turd, note the claims of "extreme gaming" and "supreme graphics performance", yet if you click onto the only model they have listed you will find a PC with a GTX 645 (with "up to" 2GB of VRAM!) and 24GB of main RAM!

Ghostmate

Neo Member
I am in need of GAF's expertise. So, I recently purchased a Samsung Ativ Book 6 and wanted to upgrade the HDD. I already have an 840 EVO that was my default option. However, while shopping around I found this http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/SSDMR.html.

Now, my question is: is it possible to use one of those mSATA slots as a connector for a regular platter drive? That is, through some crazy sequence of adapters, might one be able to run mSATA+HDD in RAID using the controller? Let's set aside the physical logistics of fitting a combination like that into a laptop with only one HDD bay and no optical bay. Am I just playing Frankenstein? Or is this a viable option for two drives using one SATA "connection"?

The reason any of this started was because of this drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GSJ9X4Q, which unfortunately has mediocre performance despite its innovation. I also have no mSATA slots onboard, or this would be a moot discussion.

What sayeth the think-tank?

TL;DR. I want a large traditional HDD + fast SSD in a laptop that has no mSATA slot.

kennah

You wouldn't want to use an SSD+HDD in raid anyway, unless you're doing a Fusion Drive on a hackintosh.

I think you'd be wasting a lot of time and money on something that you wouldn't be happy with the performance of in the end anyway.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
I think at this point I'm more obsessed with trying to make such a thing happen than actually getting any utility out of it. Let me dream, GAF!

kennah

Impressive performance so far on this A4-5300. Runs better than my Core2Duo with GT9600. Which it should I guess :p Running the Witcher pretty nice so far. Slows down a little on Torchlight II and plays Orcs Must Die 2 impressively well. Testing Borderlands 2 later on.

IllumiNate

K I'm wanting to pull the trigger tonight on a new gaming PC. Mines getting old now. Should I wait for March to build or do it now since there are some very nice boxing week deals here in Canada?

kennah

K I'm wanting to pull the trigger tonight on a new gaming PC. Mines getting old now. Should I wait for March to build or do it now since there are some very nice boxing week deals here in Canada?

What are you looking at specifically? I can't think of any deals that can't be found at any other time of the year....

Dennis

Banned
So, my PC is weak as fuck right now so I just checked the temperatures on each of my CPU cores and.........95-98°C using less than 5% of the CPU capacity.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked am I?

I am thinking either
1) Dust in my rig
2) Bitcoin mining virus or something similar draining my resources

Any other suggestions?

Oh gawd, I just looked inside my case. Dust, dust everywhere.

I am a nasty fucker.

IllumiNate

Just ordered a new gaming PC! Oh Gawd the wife's gonna kill me... Well if I had one, I'm sure she would be displeased.
Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 here I come!

Do you recommend adding another GTX 680 4GB, or wait for a better GPU? I have an AX750 PSU.
I'm waiting for a 1440p monitor (possibly G-sync) and I don't think a single 680 will be enough for playing games at ultra settings.
And can someone explain me SLI antialiasing? Is it something to enable or is it just a way to say "the AA workload is splitted"? and how does it compare to other AA solutions?

shoplifter

Here's the list I'm looking at - I'll be shoving a flashed 6950 (which is currently in a LOL Inspiron 530 with a Q6600) in it until later next year. Am I correct in thinking that with the ROG Hero I won't need the Xonar? Looks like the ROG basically has all of the same audio decoders in it.

Haven't done this in aaaages, the Q6600 is starting to show it's age, but by God, that thing has been a workhorse.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shoplifter/saved/3hTc

\/\/ total agreement on the PSU.

kharma45

Here's the list I'm looking at - I'll be shoving a flashed 6950 (which is currently in a LOL Inspiron 530 with a Q6600) in it until later next year. Am I correct in thinking that with the ROG Hero I won't need the Xonar? Looks like the ROG basically has all of the same audio decoders in it.

Haven't done this in aaaages, the Q6600 is starting to show it's age, but by God, that thing has been a workhorse.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shoplifter/saved/3hTc

Mobo is overkill but it's your money at the end of the day. Rest is all good bar I'd change the PSU to this if Amazon gets stock by the time you come to order http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TVQTFE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kharma45

So here's the PC I'm trying to build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2pLVO

But I was thinking about bumping up my video card to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741 since its just a few bucks more and a handful of games come with it. But PCPartPicker is saying that card is incompatible with my build, any reason why that is?

The 770 will work fine but my question I'd put to you is a 10% performance boost worth $70? Especially when that $70 could get you an SSD instead.

If not then change that 760 to one of these fellas, all have better coolers

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...erclocked_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...e_GTX_760_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

If you're just gaming btw you can drop to a 4670K and 8GB RAM. If it's media stuff then stick with what you've got.

IllumiNate

I splurged a bit. But this is the PC I ordered from NCIX.

-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 928MHZ 3GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card (ACIV,Batman Origins) -$680

-ASUS Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 3PCI-E16 SATA3 DP USB3.0 Motherboard -$280

-Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache Retail -$308

-G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Dual Channel Memory Kit

-XFX 1250W PRO1250W Black Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 104A 24PIN ATX Full Modular 80PLUS Gold PSU -$229 will add another 780 Ti within 2 years for 4K gameage so I opted for the big PSU

-Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower Computer Case 4X5.25 6X3.5 INT USB 3.0 Black -$144

-Samsung 840 Evo Series MZ-7TE1T0BW 1TB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD -$560

-Noctua NH-D14 LGA1150/1155/1156/1366 AM3 FM1 FM2 Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm Fan -$69

-Windows 8.1 64-Bit -$77

-Razer Naga 2014 Expert MMO Laser Gaming Mouse Green 19 Button 8200DPI USB Green LED -$79

-PC Assembly And Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased -$50

I already have a monitor plus sound card, keyboard, disk drive ect..
It'll be atleast two weeks before it arrives, but I'll be patient. Happy to be back with PCGaf.

Nicktals

Banned
Alright guys, pretty clueless PC guy looking to buy a new PC in the 700-800 dollar range. I'm in the US. Things I'd like to use the PC for

1.) normal use (web browsing, watching video, word, etc...)
2.) Gaming. I'd like to be able to run new games at medium settings. I'd also like to be able to record/capture gameplay. Most capturing/recording would be of indie games, so if AAA and capturing aren't possible for a PC in my price range, that's okay.
3.) potential HTPC use. If I can fix my 50" HDTV, I'll probably mainly keep the PC connected to that. If I can't, it'll be used with a monitor at a desk.

I used part picker, and this is what I have (again, completely clueless. What can I lose/downgrade without a hit? What am I missing? I'd love to get this down a few hundred, but am feeling a little over my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!

[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2sNMj]PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($160.55 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($192.55 @ Newegg)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($27.70 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1022.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-30 14:32 EST-0500)[/URL]

EDIT: Again, I'd love to be at 700-800 US, and being able to upgrade in a year or two would be nice...Thanks again!

HoosTrax

I don't understand...
...but I'm going to assume they were trying to find any flimsy excuse not to ship by air.
yleo.jpg

liuq.jpg
Or maybe it's special magnetized taco spice mix?!

HoosTrax

NoRéN;95292544 said:
Holy shit!

how much for the taco seasoning?
$4.29 for the bottle, but only because it was an "add-on" item (meaning I had already met some minimal order total). Not a bad price considering those individual packets you can buy at the grocery store are $1 each.

Nicktals

Banned
NoRéN;95292298 said:
get this PSU from the OP for starters
Antec BP550 Plus 550W

cheaper and fully modular. Unless I'm missing something, why do you need a wired network adapter?

Done! I have no idea what fully modular means, but it sounds good..and was cheaper...so thanks!!

Any other suggestions?? Much appreciated!

EDIT: Is there no reason for a wired adapter? Isn't that an ethernet port? Might it be worth it if my desk is right next to the router? Is it easy to add one later? Or is it not necessary/completely redundant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom