• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Thanks for the replies, I did some hunting around and in the end I went for the evga supernova g2 750w.. It seemed like an absolute beast! I currently have a gs600 corsair and found my boot ssd had died about a week or so back, today I went to over clock my video card and now it seems my dvd drive has died.. Intermittent problems when powering on too, worrying. It's either psu or mb imo, unless anyone else has any thoughts?!

Well you'll soon know seeing as it's already ordered :p

Quality PSU though! My favourite atm.

I have $1100 or so to spend on a build. Recommends please. I'm partial to nvidia btw :) Also is it possible to go to somewhere like microcenter in Philly to buy my parts there rather than pay for shipping? Never been there before.

kharma45

I have $1100 or so to spend on a build. Recommends please. I'm partial to nvidia btw :) Also is it possible to go to somewhere like microcenter in Philly to buy my parts there rather than pay for shipping? Never been there before.

USD I presume? I'll do you up something but the 880 isn't far off fyi.

ThisOne

Maybe a stupid question, but if I have Windows 7 installed on my computer but I'm thinking of building a new computer, do I need to buy Windows again or can I just use my disc/key from the previous computer?

kharma45

How far off are we talking. I just sold my current setup so I have no pc lol. Also yes usd. Also need a new keyboard and wireless card so any recommends there :)

2-3 weeks possibly. If you go EVGA though you could always use the Step Up program, but you'd end up with a reference card.

Instead of a wireless card how do Powerline adapters sound?

Want a mechanical keyboard?

Maybe a stupid question, but if I have Windows 7 installed on my computer but I'm thinking of building a new computer, do I need to buy Windows again or can I just use my disc/key from the previous computer?

If it's not an OEM copy you can transfer it easily. OEM ones can be moved if you get lucky... you have to phone MS and stretch the truth a bit by telling them it's not a new PC, just a new mobo in the same old PC to replacce one that died...

2-3 weeks possibly. If you go EVGA though you could always use the Step Up program, but you'd end up with a reference card.

Instead of a wireless card how do Powerline adapters sound?

Want a mechanical keyboard?

Not familiar with PowerLine and also yes mechanical of course...what else is there :p

The Llama

Just buy from places with free shipping like Amazon or Newegg if you're concerned. I've been to the Microcenter near Philly (since I live there) and it's good, but you can definitely save money by buying online. It's a fun store though.

kharma45

I have no idea my wiring just moved here lol

I'm going to play the devil and say we're going to use them for now :p

Over budget but the 780 is a much better buy than a 770

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($217.25 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($398.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Other: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps ($39.24)
Total: $1190.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:12 EDT-0400

That being said a 770 would get you well within budget and you could have a bigger SSD

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($280.80 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Other: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps ($39.24)
Total: $1108.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:13 EDT-0400

I'm going to play the devil and say we're going to use them for now :p

Over budget but the 780 is a much better buy than a 770

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($398.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1190.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:12 EDT-0400

That being said a 770 would get you well within budget and you could have a bigger SSD

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($280.80 @ Newegg)
Total: $1108.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:13 EDT-0400
Thanks!

smashism

So my current ATI 6850 is definitely starting to show it's age. I have a 300ish dollar budget here in the US for a new GPU.

My current CPU is a i5 2500. I was hoping my current GPU was bottlenecking my performance and an upgrade would hopefully help me make the jump into some of the more graphic intensive games coming out now (i.e. watch_dogs and metro).

Would an upgrade help my performance by a hefty amount? Should I just give in and be a casual console pleb and buy a ps4 instead?

GAF, help me.

kharma45

So my current ATI 6850 is definitely starting to show it's age. I have a 300ish dollar budget here in the US for a new GPU.

My current CPU is a i5 2500. I was hoping my current GPU was bottlenecking my performance and an upgrade would hopefully help me make the jump into some of the more graphic intensive games coming out now (i.e. watch_dogs and metro).

Would an upgrade help my performance by a hefty amount? Should I just give in and be a casual console pleb and buy a ps4 instead?

GAF, help me.

Regular or 2500K?

Anyone know the best way to find the value of what to attempt to sell a graphics card at?

I have a Sapphire HD6870 1GB card laying around, and would like to try to get some value out of it.

Amazon doesn't seem too great.

Ok thanks, I went to PC Part Picker and made a preliminary build, could use some advice. I don't really have any guidelines aside from I want the i7 5820K, and I'll be getting the GTX 900 series (probably 970, but if anyone can help me save anywhere in this build I'll go 980):

CPU: i7 5820K
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133
Video Card: GTX 970 (980 possible)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" SSD (have external HDD already)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750W ATX12V
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray

The goal with this is to be able to play games at high quality, but more importantly, do Oculus Rift DK2 development. However, if there's anything cheaper available within this build I'll also appreciate that. Thoughts?

I think it would be better to do 4x4GB ram sticks instead of 8x2GB to utilize the quad channel support of that motherboard.

I use powerline adapters myself but after buying an AC wireless router I don't find much use for them. I'm in a new build property so my wiring is spot on but even across two floors and using the most basic and tiny USB 1x1 AC adapter, I'm getting far better performance from AC wireless than I ever did from powerlines.

If you got a good 2x2 or 3x3 PCIe card it would wipe the floor with any powerline solution.

Ravijn

I love me some Microcenter. I try to avoid trips there too often because I end up spending more money than I want to. :)

As some people said you may be able to save some money ordering online.

$1100 should net you a really good PC.

Omikron

Ok. Upgraded my PC in May (i7 4771) and everything is going fantastic, but I 'made do' with my old 6970 graphics card temporarily, but I feel it is really struggling, especially when I am trying to play Metro Last Light (among others). I generally play Paradox strategy games more often, so didn't feel the graphics upgrade was warranted.

So question is. What is the the current 'best value' point for cards? ie. best I can get before prices start going crazy. Also, is there expected to be new tech shortly that may be worth waiting for. (~3 month time frame.)

kharma45

Ok. Upgraded my PC in May (i7 4771) and everything is going fantastic, but I 'made do' with my old 6970 graphics card temporarily, but I feel it is really struggling, especially when I am trying to play Metro Last Light (among others). I generally play Paradox strategy games more often, so didn't feel the graphics upgrade was warranted.

So question is. What is the the current 'best value' point for cards? ie. best I can get before prices start going crazy. Also, is there expected to be new tech shortly that may be worth waiting for. (~3 month time frame.)

Nvidia will have new stuff soon, high end though. No solid word on AMD.

For what's on sale now you can get an R9 280 for $200.

I have a really quick question, and I don't really know where else to put it.

If the PC is outputting 1440x900 video, and I run it into a display that goes up to 1080p, will the image look bad?

I realize this probably isn't the place for the question, so I'm sorry if it's a bother to answer

potam

Banned
I have a really quick question, and I don't really know where else to put it.

If the PC is outputting 1440x900 video, and I run it into a display that goes up to 1080p, will the image look bad?

I realize this probably isn't the place for the question, so I'm sorry if it's a bother to answer

yeah, it'll look fuzzy and distorted

Smokey

With 4K monitors and the like becoming more affordable(ish), is it really worth buying a 1440p monitor at this point? I'm tempted to get one but the Asus PB278Q is more than double the price of the 1080p one I'm also considering. I'm not sure if I should just go with the cheaper option for now and upgrade when higher res monitors drop in price.

GPUs have not yet caught up to the 4k resolution. Right now you need to use at minimum something along the levels of a 290/780, and you'll most likely have to turn settings down. SLI or Crossfire is needed for a truly optimum 4k experience, and that can get expensive.

potam

Banned
Not according to the specs page for the MacBook Air. :)

Link

Graphics and Video Support
Intel HD Graphics 5000
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output

Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Ravijn

Intel HD Graphics 5000
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Touche.

Intel HD Graphics 5000

Thanks for this!

Oh, I lied, it is a 2500k.

dh67cl intel mobo.

Good news on the processor, bad news on the mobo. That mobo won't overclock your CPU. 2500k is still good at stock settings, so you'd probably still want a GPU upgrade. If I were you though, I'd look into one of the chipset mobos kharma suggested so you can OC that CPU. Thread title don't lie.

For $300 the R9 280 or GTX 760 is probably what you want. But just wait a few weeks til the Nvidia announcements to upgrade GPU.

JordanN

Banned
Why am I having audio issues?

When I play games, I noticed certain sounds are "muted" compared to the rest of the game (example: When I'm playing Driver Parallel Lines, I can still hear the noises made by the car but it's still very quiet).

I have tried adjusting the ingame audio options but it doesn't fix it. I never had this issue before.

I'm also only using my headphones, so there's no speaker setup.

Blackage

Cross posting from another thread, but the price of the 295X cards has dropped from $1500 to $1000, sometime to consider depending on how high GTX980s hit the market for.

I bought a factory refurb H100i cooler will be here this week Is there a way to test this thing w/o a mobo and psu (because i dont have those 2 parts yet)?

Hi PC GAF. I'm after some advice if I may. Gonna be building a little HTPC in the next month or so. It will be plugged into a 1080p 40" TV via HDMI. It's mostly going to be for my GF to use for watching movies, some light to moderate gaming and some school work. I have about £550 to spend right now but will be buying Windows 8 with student discount for £50. Only other mandatory thing is a Prodigy (Red lol) which she has now seen and cant live without.

Now I have been going through parts lists like a madman and have two options I keep going back and forth on:

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard (£71.80 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£60.46 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£44.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case (£71.42 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£35.28 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Microsoft wirelss keyboard and mouse (£23.99)
Total: £497.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 10:05 BST+0100

Or

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£43.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.15 @ More Computers)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£44.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.50 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£104.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case (£71.42 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£35.28 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £494.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 10:08 BST+0100

I really cant decide which way to go. Is one build better than the other? One more upgradable in the future? Any help or advice is appreciated!

Sarcasm

So I just bought a Zowie AM-GS..its the same thing as a AM? Just older (2012) and glossy? Currently can return it. But its the same description as on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom