• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

three_muffins

Gold Member
Im totally out of the loop when it comes to pc gaming. I only own a laptop that is barely able to run the sims.
Before i start looking for a pc and think about what i want, i would like to know if it is a good time to buy a new pc. Are prices down, is new hardware available, or should i wait for a few months before making such an investment?

garath

Btw does ms still have that one copy of windows 8 per machine thing? If so can anyone recommend somewhere to get a copy of windows 8 on the cheap?

Microsoft brought the hammer down on the reddit software swap so that's out but I watch a bunch of streamers and a lot have ******** referral links. I found they have $15-$25 copies of Windows 8. I suspect it's the same type of keys as they used to have on reddit.

I haven't purchased anything from G2A before though so do your own research first but that's a place I've seen it. The little internet research I've seen has been favorable.

Dries

Im totally out of the loop when it comes to pc gaming. I only own a laptop that is barely able to run the sims.
Before i start looking for a pc and think about what i want, i would like to know if it is a good time to buy a new pc. Are prices down, is new hardware available, or should i wait for a few months before making such an investment?

A lot of other people know a lot more than me, but these are my two cents:

- concerning CPU's. You can play the waiting game forever if you're always anticipating the ''next best thing''. Better to just buy whatever CPU's have recently just been released. That said, Broadwell (the die shrink of Haswell) will probably be releasing at the end of this year.
- The new Nvidia GPU's are to be released reeeally shortly. Worth looking out for.

ricki42

I'm new to this myself, but it's my impression that there is always something new just around the corner. At some point you just have to jump in or you'll be waiting forever.
That being said, depending on your budget, the new Nvidia cards are just around the corner, so you might want to wait a bit. :p

I'm going to play the devil and say we're going to use them for now :p

Over budget but the 780 is a much better buy than a 770

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($217.25 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($398.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Other: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps ($39.24)
Total: $1190.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:12 EDT-0400

That being said a 770 would get you well within budget and you could have a bigger SSD

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($217.25 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($280.80 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Other: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps ($39.24)
Total: $1108.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 17:13 EDT-0400

Going to drive to microcenter. Any chance on getting some alternatives for the parts they don't carry? I notice there are some on pc parts picker list you gave me they don't have. No worries going to over my 1100 mark :)

LilJoka

I bought a factory refurb H100i cooler will be here this week Is there a way to test this thing w/o a mobo and psu (because i dont have those 2 parts yet)?

Youll need the PSU to use it since it uses Sata for power.
Just wait till you get the PSU, then use PSU paper clip trick to jump start the PSU, and that will also start the H100i pump. Or use a PSU from a PC you already own? Just hook it up the the Sata power and turn the PC on (keep H100i outside of case).

luffeN

Why am I having audio issues?

When I play games, I noticed certain sounds are "muted" compared to the rest of the game (example: When I'm playing Driver Parallel Lines, I can still hear the noises made by the car but it's still very quiet).

I have tried adjusting the ingame audio options but it doesn't fix it. I never had this issue before.

I'm also only using my headphones, so there's no speaker setup.

Without reading the last sentence I would have said maybe something with the sound setup meaning that your PC is trying to push surround to your headphones but... Can you try different headphones or a different audio port? Maybe on the front panel?

garath

When I play games, I noticed certain sounds are "muted" compared to the rest of the game (example: When I'm playing Driver Parallel Lines, I can still hear the noises made by the car but it's still very quiet).

I have tried adjusting the ingame audio options but it doesn't fix it. I never had this issue before.

Check your sound settings in windows and verify it's set to headphone or two speaker output. If it's set to some sort of 5.1 setup and you're using headphones it might be trying to send sound to channels you don't have.

paskowitz

I have $1100 or so to spend on a build. Recommends please. I'm partial to nvidia btw :) Also is it possible to go to somewhere like microcenter in Philly to buy my parts there rather than pay for shipping? Never been there before.

I got half my parts from the Philly Microcenter and the rest from Newegg and Amazon. It's a good store.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $138.90)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $37.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $25.00)
Monitor: Dell U2413 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $145.00)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $63.00)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 White LED Backlit (Brown Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard (Purchased For $112.00)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones (Purchased For $100.00)
Total: $1189.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 09:29 EDT-0400

This is my build and how much I've spent on it. As you can see, I'm down to the RAM, mobo and CPU as the final parts to purchase.

I will be reusing 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and I'm holding onto my Radeon HD6950 until Witcher 3 comes out to see what I need to get to play that game. Question is, if I downgrade the CPU to an i5 4690K, I will shave off $100. Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 on an i7?

Sarcasm

Is there a way to use all 7 buttons on a Zowie AM-GS mouse?

I can't open to verify incnase I need to return but the box says it only has 5 (7 physical) and you have to choose what side you want to use.

Really whats the point of making 7 buttons and only allowing one side of the side buttons use-able?

garath

Is there a way to use all 7 buttons on a Zowie AM-GS mouse?

I can't open to verify incnase I need to return but the box says it only has 5 (7 physical) and you have to choose what side you want to use.

Really whats the point of making 7 buttons and only allowing one side of the side buttons use-able?

If it's anything like the Sensei raw, it would be REALLY difficult to both sets of side buttons anyways. They are designed to be thumb buttons. You'd have to have a pretty wonky grip and like pinky click it or something.

Sarcasm

If it's anything like the Sensei raw, it would be REALLY difficult to both sets of side buttons anyways. They are designed to be thumb buttons. You'd have to have a pretty wonky grip and like pinky click it or something.

I use the SS diablo 3 mouse...7 buttons can use both sides.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/diablo-iii/steelseries-diablo-iii-mouse

Middle click doesn't work and I even tried fixing it myself (took it apart)..still doesn't work.

Should have the option to use all or some...

sc_b005l38qk2-05call7.jpg

Microsoft brought the hammer down on the reddit software swap so that's out but I watch a bunch of streamers and a lot have ******** referral links. I found they have $15-$25 copies of Windows 8. I suspect it's the same type of keys as they used to have on reddit.

I haven't purchased anything from G2A before though so do your own research first but that's a place I've seen it. The little internet research I've seen has been favorable.

Ah cool thx. So where to find a legit copy of windows 8 pro iso now lol.I know you can use the windows tool but I don't have a pc with windows atm.

So apparently the keyboard I was linked is out of stock. So instead I was thinking of getting a corsair vengeance or razer black widow...what should I get or something different altogether?

Lanark

Would a 650 watt power supply (seasonic G) be enough to supply power for a system with a 980GTX and i7 4790K (planning to overclock)?

Kezen

Banned
I told myself to wait for the imminent 900 series but I was made an offer I couldn't possibly refuse. A brand new MSI Gaming 780 for 280€.

I said yes, I had to. I can't justify 400€ for a slightly faster 970.

Addnan

Would a 650 watt power supply (seasonic G) be enough to supply power for a system with a 980GTX and i7 4790K (planning to overclock)?

Yes it will run unless Nvidia do something seriously wrong with the next set of cards but I am going to put that down as unlikely.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $138.90)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $37.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $25.00)
Monitor: Dell U2413 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $145.00)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $63.00)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 White LED Backlit (Brown Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard (Purchased For $112.00)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones (Purchased For $100.00)
Total: $1189.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 09:29 EDT-0400

This is my build and how much I've spent on it. As you can see, I'm down to the RAM, mobo and CPU as the final parts to purchase.

I will be reusing 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and I'm holding onto my Radeon HD6950 until Witcher 3 comes out to see what I need to get to play that game. Question is, if I downgrade the CPU to an i5 4690K, I will shave off $100. Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 on an i7?
Nice list. If your main purpose is to game and you will overlock get the i5 to money. That i7 has a nice clock speed boost though. Of you don't want to muck around later swapping the i7 is not a bad buy.
I'm still in the market for an HDD

is this a good deal? $125 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338
Personally I don't trust anything over 3TB. I'm old that way. Price is good though.
Those Seagate scare graphs were only for a few models so I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.
I use the SS diablo 3 mouse...7 buttons can use both sides.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/diablo-iii/steelseries-diablo-iii-mouse

Middle click doesn't work and I even tried fixing it myself (took it apart)..still doesn't work.

Should have the option to use all or some...
Windows is still terrible with most buttons so it doesn't surprise me

So apparently the keyboard I was linked is out of stock. So instead I was thinking of getting a corsair vengeance or razer black widow...what should I get or something different altogether?
I like the Cooler Master for pricing and looks. I would not get a BW
Most likely yes unless you put both under water and run FURmark

three_muffins

Gold Member
I'm new to this myself, but it's my impression that there is always something new just around the corner. At some point you just have to jump in or you'll be waiting forever.
That being said, depending on your budget, the new Nvidia cards are just around the corner, so you might want to wait a bit. :p

Maybe you guys are right. I guess i should start looking for a good computer store. ;)

What are some "must-have" cornerstone components to have a powerful and fast gaming computer?

Is 8 GB Ram still ok, or did we reach 16 GB?
What graphic card is recommended?
i5 or i7 processor?

....and yes, im a bloody amateur when it comes to pc gaming. I have no idea what to look out for whatsoever. If any of my questions seems stupid.....please down judge me too hard.;)

ricki42

....and yes, im a bloody amateur when it comes to pc gaming. I have no idea what to look out for whatsoever. If any of my questions seems stupid.....please down judge me too hard.;)

I'm the same, and somehow I still managed. You can do it!
I more or less followed one of the builds in the OP using PCPartpicker.com.

Start by posting your answers to the 'basic desktop questions' in the OP.

garath

If I don't know what type of keyboard cherry switch to pick, what do I go with?

I'd say I do gaming and typing about 50/50.

Brown is probably a safe bet. I went with reds and it was a pretty good learning curve when it came to typing. They are VERY sensitive. But they are great for gaming. Browns seem to fit that middle ground with the little bump when you are typing.

Red Comet

I had this problem and I believe the cause was a faulty onboard sound card. I bought an external usb sound card and that fixed my problem. Not saying your problem is due to faulty hardware, but you can get one of those usb adapters for under $10 if you want to test it. Of course you want to first try updating your audio drivers.

Youll need the PSU to use it since it uses Sata for power.
Just wait till you get the PSU, then use PSU paper clip trick to jump start the PSU, and that will also start the H100i pump. Or use a PSU from a PC you already own? Just hook it up the the Sata power and turn the PC on (keep H100i outside of case).
Thanks! Was about to do the evo 212 route but saw this deal on r/buildapcsales.

Edit R9 290 is $350 over at Newegg

obama.gif

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well my mouse is really old..surprised I didn't lose the side buttons first though.

Can the SENSEI Raw use all buttons?
I think I had to assign mine to other keys and not as MOUSE buttons. Its been a while though and may be different on win8?

thespot84

If I don't know what type of keyboard cherry switch to pick, what do I go with?

I'd say I do gaming and typing about 50/50.

all blues all day. but seriously, I type with a lot of force and I want to make sure everyone in the building knows that i'm typing. If that's your thing, go blues, otherwise, ya, browns are a nice happy medium.

Ravijn

Ordered my new PSU from Newegg Sunday afternoon and picked standard 3-5 day shipping.

It's here today.

Gotta love Newegg and being close to a warehouse.

bro1

Banned
My pc is hanging on cold boots. I have a 3570k on a z77 sabertooth with 780 gtx ti sli and an corsair ax860i. I'm no ocing and I've tried new ram in different slots.

During a cold boot the pc turns on but I don't get USB or video. I'm thinking psu?

bro1

Banned
How old is the psu?
About a year. Worked fine until recently.

Also having trouble doing the windows update from windows 8 prior to the update to 8.1. Downloads 98 updates, tries to install and then reverts.

I have a windows 8.1 install that works fine though.

Also prime95 is stable for 24 hours and memtest runs fine.

I bought a 1200 watt corsair to try out but won't be able until next week as I am away on a business trip.

Ravijn

About a year. Worked fine until recently.

Also having trouble doing the windows update from windows 8 prior to the update to 8.1. Downloads 98 updates, tries to install and then reverts.

I have a windows 8.1 install that works fine though.

Also prime95 is stable for 24 hours and memtest runs fine.

I bought a 1200 watt corsair to try out but won't be able until next week as I am away on a business trip.

I have the same motherboard and it sometimes takes forever from a cold boot to Windows 8.1. It has something to do with my external HDD. If I unplug it, the PC boots up instantly. If I leave it plugged in, it will take a bit before the drive is recognized and I see the bios/boot screen.

JordanN

Banned
Check your sound settings in windows and verify it's set to headphone or two speaker output. If it's set to some sort of 5.1 setup and you're using headphones it might be trying to send sound to channels you don't have.

Yeah, this fixed it. It's set to Stereo now instead of 5.1 Speaker. Can hear all the sounds equally.
Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
I have the same motherboard and it sometimes takes forever from a cold boot to Windows 8.1. It has something to do with my external HDD. If I unplug it, the PC boots up instantly. If I leave it plugged in, it will take a bit before the drive is recognized and I see the bios/boot screen.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, which is why I suggested even the USB headers.

My P67 Sabertooth would have the same cold boot type issue if I had the USB 3.0 header plugged in. Removed, instantly up and running every time.

Got my ASUS VG248QE today. Needless to say, it's kind of blowing my mind. I found a good post on Reddit about making the colors a bit better and it helped a pretty good amount.

Ravijn

Got my ASUS VG248QE today. Needless to say, it's kind of blowing my mind. I found a good post on Reddit about making the colors a bit better and it helped a pretty good amount.

Could you please link those color profiles for me?

Also, G-Sync mod that monitor! :)

bro1

Banned

My P67 Sabertooth would have the same cold boot type issue if I had the USB 3.0 header plugged in. Removed, instantly up and running every time.
I will do that when I get home

Ravijn

Dumb question, why does it do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom