• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for you folks. I just bought a new Samsung 840 EVO to replace my old six year old HDD. I'm trying to clone it over, but it just won't work. 'Turns out my old HDD has bad sectors, which just kill the cloning regardless of the program I use. Not even Clonezilla works.

Am I borked? Will I just need to install windows and everything from scratch on this new SSD? I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

EDIT: If it helps, my SSD is being hooked into a USB adapter until we got the old HDD cloned onto it. It's not hooked into my computer. 'Not sure if that would cause any problems, but there's that.

USB to sata adapter should work fine, that's exactly what I used to clone my laptop hdd to my samsung 840 evo. You tried the samsung data migration software right? I'm not sure what else you can do other than fresh install. Maybe try defragmenting the hdd or run ccleaner.

So, I've been on Reddit's HardwareSwap looking for sold GPU deals and there are quite a few good GTX 770 sales around.

However, I've been seeing some stuff about Kepler performance downgrades or degradation around here in the last couple of weeks.

Anyone know exactly what that's about?

gdt

All set. All parts ordered and all but 1 confirmation email in (SuperBiiz has yet to send a confirmation email, but I have the confirmation page saved).

Is there an easy way to deal with the rebates some of these parts have? I don't have a printer -_-

Edit: well, SuperBiiz declined my card. Guess I put it in wrong.

But now I'm not sure if I make another order or what....

Edit2: when I make a separate order I can't use the coupon code again. Goddamit

USB to sata adapter should work fine, that's exactly what I used to clone my laptop hdd to my samsung 840 evo. You tried the samsung data migration software right? I'm not sure what else you can do other than fresh install. Maybe try defragmenting the hdd or run ccleaner.

Defragged it, used CCleaner, used the Samsung Data Migration software(and three others), but they all failed. The bad sectors are what's holding the cloning back.

Oh well. Time to move everything to a portable drive and install Windows from scratch. I think that's my only option at this point. :[

mm04

So are most of you folks who are using pcpartpicker, buying from multiple vendors or are you trying to stick to one or two trusted vendors? I'm going to be making my purchase this weekend as my bonus was in today's paycheck! This new build has been a long time coming and has been derailed many times by other things coming up.

That link doesn't work for me, but fair enough, I don't need convincing that the 960 draws significantly fewer watts than the 280 series. Hopefully the 2GB of VRAM doesn't bottleneck your stopgap gaming.

If you plan to OC your CPU though (and with liquid, I think you should) don't forget that's basically adding another video card to your system.

index.php

What kind of overclock is shown in that image? A 190 watt increase for only the CPU overclocked would have to be some insane overclocking, sth. like from 3.3 to 5 Ghz with huge voltage increases.
For the average OC (say: ~3.5 -> ~4.5 with ~0.1v additional voltage) you'll be looking at an extra of like 50W max. Often less actually, because the default voltage will be unnecessarily high.

gdt

All set. All parts ordered and all but 1 confirmation email in (SuperBiiz has yet to send a confirmation email, but I have the confirmation page saved).

Is there an easy way to deal with the rebates some of these parts have? I don't have a printer -_-

Edit: well, SuperBiiz declined my card. Guess I put it in wrong.

But now I'm not sure if I make another order or what....

Edit2: when I make a separate order I can't use the coupon code again. Goddamit

My bank put a hold on the purchase. All good now though.

Now comes the waiting game -_-

Thanks a lot Gaf.

silentQ

Looking to buy a new monitor for my Macbook Pro and Work PC to use is there any suggestion for a reasonably priced Monitor where the speakers on it don't sound like crap? I am looking to save desk space by not having speakers.

Baleoce

A friend of mine purchased an ASUS VG248QE recently, and learned about the possible g-sync upgrade kit for it. He says that they are no longer manufacturing the kits though, is this correct? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of an external seller or something similar who still has them? Want to help him out with it if at all possible. Preferably UK/EU based.

kennah

A friend of mine purchased an ASUS VG248QE recently, and learned about the possible g-sync upgrade kit for it. He says that they are no longer manufacturing the kits though, is this correct? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of an external seller or something similar who still has them? Want to help him out with it if at all possible. Preferably UK/EU based.

Pretty much impossible to find anywhere.

Crisium

What kind of overclock is shown in that image? A 190 watt increase for only the CPU overclocked would have to be some insane overclocking, sth. like from 3.3 to 5 Ghz with huge voltage increases.
For the average OC (say: ~3.5 -> ~4.5 with ~0.1v additional voltage) you'll be looking at an extra of like 50W max. Often less actually, because the default voltage will be unnecessarily high.

4.4GHz. Doable with liquid - definitely with a H110. Not sure if the H105 though.

NoRéN;152965880 said:
Got my first Cougar Vortex fan.

DAMN! Pure quality!

I guess I'm replacing the rest of them.
Oh yeah, I got one on sale to replace my Hyper 212 Evo's stock fan and it was a massive improvement.

so, is buying a GTX 970 at this point really just a dumb idea? i'm getting ready to do a completely new build, but the 980 is just a little too spicy for me right now.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So despite saying earlier that I wasn't looking for a new system, I ended up with a new system anyway as I detailed earlier. It's just a Dell Inspiron 660, but since I don't really go for all the newer games, it should be enough. Specs are as follows.

CPU: Intel i5-4460
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Mobo: Whatever nonsense Dell put in there.
GPU: Intel Integrated
PSU: 300W
HDD: 1TB

I'm pretty set on a GTX 750Ti as it's supposed to be the most efficient in regards to performance to watt ratio, as well as not requiring an extra 6-pin connector, which the included PSU doesn't have. As most of the articles I've read are from early to mid 2014, I'm not sure if it has been supplanted in the efficiency category. Again, I'm not looking for the top of the line, just something that can run stuff like Star Trek Online, Battlefield 3, Saint's Row 3&4 really nicely, and maybe the newest stuff passably. The 560Ti I had that died did this pretty well, albeit bottlenecked by the E8400 and 4GB of RAM my current system has. I'm hoping the 750Ti, though slightly less powerful than the 560Ti, will perform better given the new system's better backbone.

I'm aware there are numerous models of the 750Ti, such as the basic ones, manufacturer OC'ed ones, to the bigger ones like EVGA's FTW version. Which brand is the most well-reputed? I've never had a problem with the several different EVGA cards I've owned, and my dead 560Ti was actually an ASUS. Are the OC/SC'd or FTW versions worth the extra expense?

Many 750Ti product pages indicate that only a 300W PSU is required, and as someone mentioned here, various OEM systems of various brands were tested to work with the card without a PSU upgrade. I'd also be adding a second 3.5" HDD and maybe a Firewire PCI card eventually, so I'm not sure if that would push it past the breaking point. Will PSUs really ignite if pushed too hard?

Edit: Not my photo, but here's one somebody took of a similar model with similar space constraints:

The motherboard in mine only has two PCI slots, one above and below the PCI-e slot, which of course means that one will be blocked completely by any GPU with a cooling unit.

The Llama

so, is buying a GTX 970 at this point really just a dumb idea? i'm getting ready to do a completely new build, but the 980 is just a little too spicy for me right now.

Dumb in what way? Because of the VRAM thing? Not really. Since AMD dropped the prices of the 290 and 290x a lot, those are still a better value, but there's nothing really wrong with the 970.

Rafy

So I am having issues with advanced warfare. I downloaded the MP due to the free weekend to try it out but I keep getting "Unable to connect to online services. Try again later." error when I click to play Online in the menu.

Anyone know why this is happening? I googled and found no real solution.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have any experience with the X 99 dual intelligent processors 5? I watched several extended videos on how it works and I came away pretty impressed given I spent about 4 hours today with really know results to show in terms of overclocking. I think I'm going to try this tomorrow based on the settings that Asus recommends to try to get probably 4.7ghz.

RGM79

Would there be any issues running an R9 290+i5 4690 on 600w?

Nope. At most a regular R9 290 consumes somewhere around 275 watts or less by itself so 600 watts is perfectly fine unless you're running a lot of other hardware and doing heavy processor and graphics card overclocking.

So despite saying earlier that I wasn't looking for a new system, I ended up with a new system anyway as I detailed earlier. It's just a Dell Inspiron 660, but since I don't really go for all the newer games, it should be enough. Specs are as follows.

CPU: Intel i5-4460
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Mobo: Whatever nonsense Dell put in there.
GPU: Intel Integrated
PSU: 300W
HDD: 1TB

I'm pretty set on a GTX 750Ti as it's supposed to be the most efficient in regards to performance to watt ratio, as well as not requiring an extra 6-pin connector, which the included PSU doesn't have. As most of the articles I've read are from early to mid 2014, I'm not sure if it has been supplanted in the efficiency category. Again, I'm not looking for the top of the line, just something that can run stuff like Star Trek Online, Battlefield 3, Saint's Row 3&4 really nicely, and maybe the newest stuff passably. The 560Ti I had that died did this pretty well, albeit bottlenecked by the E8400 and 4GB of RAM my current system has. I'm hoping the 750Ti, though slightly less powerful than the 560Ti, will perform better given the new system's better backbone.

I'm aware there are numerous models of the 750Ti, such as the basic ones, manufacturer OC'ed ones, to the bigger ones like EVGA's FTW version. Which brand is the most well-reputed? I've never had a problem with the several different EVGA cards I've owned, and my dead 560Ti was actually an ASUS. Are the OC/SC'd or FTW versions worth the extra expense?

Many 750Ti product pages indicate that only a 300W PSU is required, and as someone mentioned here, various OEM systems of various brands were tested to work with the card without a PSU upgrade. I'd also be adding a second 3.5" HDD and maybe a Firewire PCI card eventually, so I'm not sure if that would push it past the breaking point. Will PSUs really ignite if pushed too hard?

Edit: Not my photo, but here's one somebody took of a similar model with similar space constraints:

The motherboard in mine only has two PCI slots, one above and below the PCI-e slot, which of course means that one will be blocked completely by any GPU with a cooling unit.

It's hard to go wrong with most models of the GTX 750 Ti. There isn't one that's so low quality or poorly designed that you should avoid it. That said, if you're worried about graphics card size, then you should be considering a shorter single fan model rather than a dual fan model. This EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked model for $125 after $20 rebate should be perfect for you. It's one of the least expensive models available but is still factory overclocked to 1.18GHz and should be more than compact enough to fit.

Cheaper low quality power supplies can break down if pushed to their limit, whereas higher quality models can sometimes actually provide a little more than their rated specs comfortably. That said, I don't expect an extra hard drive and firewire card to actually push system wattage consumption over 300 watts. In the article I linked you, the system with the i5 4440 and GTX 750 Ti only consumed about 120 watts while gaming. The extra hard drive and expansion card should still amount to less than 200 watts for the entire system load.

What Firewire expansion card are you looking for? A PCI model will only do Firewire 400 at best, I think.

For 1080p definitely not. The recent R9 290 and 290X price cuts and the 3.5GB effective memory just make it easier to recommend AMD for about the same level of performance.

derek212

I need help finding parts for my very first build. I've never done this before but lurking in this thread for over a year I feel like I can do it.

I want a gaming pc that can give me 60 fps 1080p.
I don't need a monitor or keyboard because I have chosen those already and buying a win 8 key from reddit.

The games I play are : Gta 4, Cs:Go, Day Z, H1z1, W.o.W, Arma 3, Iracing, Battlefield 4, Many more steam games. Soon Gta 5, Witcher 3.

Budget is $1,000-$1,200

I don't plan on overclocking or doing any other tweaking. I just want to put together and start using. I'm planing on building/buying the minute I see a build I like.

RGM79

I need help finding parts for my very first build. I've never done this before but lurking in this thread for over a year I feel like I can do it.

I want a gaming pc that can give me 60 fps 1080p.
I don't need a monitor or keyboard because I have chosen those already and buying a win 8 key from reddit.

The games I play are : Gta 4, Cs:Go, Day Z, H1z1, W.o.W, Arma 3, Iracing, Battlefield 4, Many more steam games. Soon Gta 5, Witcher 3.

Budget is $1,000-$1,200

I don't plan on overclocking or doing any other tweaking. I just want to put together and start using. I'm planing on building/buying the minute I see a build I like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($269.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1062.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-20 23:02 EST-0500

This is the best bang for your buck. If you're only interested in higher framerate performance, then it might be possible to fit a GTX 980 or a second R9 290 in there instead by dropping down to 8GB RAM (still enough for just about any game) and to a smaller or no SSD at all, and maybe changing the power supply.

As it is, the SSD gives you a more comfortable user experience with faster loading times, and the single R9 290 should meet most of those PC requirements for decently high graphics settings. The 850 watt PSU has the capacity to accomodate a second R9 290 comfortably in the future.

belmonkey

It seems like every time I fix one PC problem another pops up. A TP-link N900 wifi card ended up being a lot better for online gaming than whatever Dell put in my pre-built.

So, question: today my 750 ti's clock speed locked at 405 MHz even after restarting. It only seemed to be fixed after setting the clocks to default (memory had been OC'd 300 MHz). Should I not OC the thing anymore? It was OC'd for like two weeks before this happened.

RGM79

It seems like every time I fix one PC problem another pops up. A TP-link N900 wifi card ended up being a lot better for online gaming than whatever Dell put in my pre-built.

So, question: today my 750 ti's clock speed locked at 405 MHz even after restarting. It only seemed to be fixed after setting the clocks to default (memory had been OC'd 300 MHz). Should I not OC the thing anymore? It was OC'd for like two weeks before this happened.

What settings did you put for the overclock? What program did you use? What power supply do you have? What exact model card do you have and does your GTX 750 Ti have the extra 6 pin power connector?

belmonkey

What settings did you put for the overclock? What program did you use? What power supply do you have? What exact model card do you have and does your GTX 750 Ti have the extra 6 pin power connector?

It's a half-sized EVGA 750 ti with one fan and no 6-pin. I used EVGA precision X to bump up the mem 300+ and underclock the core 25 MHz (for the heck of it). The power supply is a 500W EVGA 80+.

RGM79

It's a half-sized EVGA 750 ti with one fan and no 6-pin. I used EVGA precision X to bump up the mem 300+ and underclock the core 25 MHz (for the heck of it). The power supply is a 500W EVGA 80+.
I see, I was wondering if it was power supply issues since you mentioned a Dell prebuilt, but apparently not.

That said, not really sure why you decided to underclock the core and overclock the memory. In any case, underclocking the core is safe, but perhaps try a more moderate memory overclock.

Not sure why your graphics card decided to lock itself at 405MHz, though.

derek212

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($269.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1062.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-20 23:02 EST-0500

This is the best bang for your buck. If you're only interested in higher framerate performance, then it might be possible to fit a GTX 980 or a second R9 290 in there instead by dropping down to 8GB RAM (still enough for just about any game) and to a smaller or no SSD at all, and maybe changing the power supply.

As it is, the SSD gives you a more comfortable user experience with faster loading times, and the single R9 290 should meet most of those PC requirements for decently high graphics settings. The 850 watt PSU has the capacity to accomodate a second R9 290 comfortably in the future.

I've read some reviews of the gpu and I have one question will it fit the case ? Many say it's large and don't fit. There are many complaints about drivers. Also what's an nvidia option ?

On the SSD is the 256 enough ? I'm just gonna put windows 8 on it and nothing else. The games etc.. Are going on the 2tb hard drive. I just need windows 8 fast that's all.

Also I don't have tools but just a screw drivers is that enough. Also does the cpu come with the thermal paste ? I don't have any and need one. Could someone pick me a good one.

Thank you all !!!!

Mozendo

derek212;153013790]I've read some reviews of the gpu and I have one question will it fit the case ? Many say it's large and don't fit
If you're okay with a 550w PSU meaning you'll only have 1 GPU option, I put a bigger case
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MxwxP6

There are many complaints about drivers. Also what's an nvidia option ?
I have seen my friends or others complaining about AMD drivers in a long time, whenever AMD drivers are brought up it's just Nvidia fanboys. Also the GTX 970 is the Nvidia equivalent.

On the SSD is the 256 enough ? I'm just gonna put windows 8 on it and nothing else. The games etc.. Are going on the 2tb hard drive. I just need windows 8 fast that's all.
If you're going to just put windows 8 on it than it's more than enough, but I'd keep it regardless because there are games right now like Natural Selection 2 that pretty much require an SSD due to it's humongous load times, and since games are getting bigger and bigger you're going to need the extra space.

Also I don't have tools but just a screw drivers is that enough. Also does the cpu come with the thermal paste ? I don't have any and need one. Could someone pick me a good one.
A screw driver is just fine, and the hyper 212 comes with thermal paste.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I used to rock a 60 gig and I had a couple games on there. I have a 256 now and have a lot of games on here. Unless you never uninstall games and want 8 AssCreeds installed at once you're fine.

RGM79

I've read some reviews of the gpu and I have one question will it fit the case ? Many say it's large and don't fit. There are many complaints about drivers. Also what's an nvidia option ?

Thank you all !!!!

The graphics card will fit. The Corsair 230T accommodates graphics cards up to 320mm long according to the Corsair website, while the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X is 305mm long according to the Sapphire website. You still have the budget to choose another case if you like. Mozendo's suggestion of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a very good large case for the price, larger than most people need but roomy and well-featured.

The Nvidia option would be a GTX 970 like this MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G for $348. It does cost about $80 more for slightly better performance though, and there is the 3.5GB effective VRAM issue which makes the GTX 970 a bit less futureproof. It does fit in your budget though, and if you went with a GTX 970 you could also choose a cheaper power supply. If you only want to run a single GTX 970 you would only need 550 watts at the minimum, 650 watts to accommodate possible future upgrades, and 750 watts if you want the option to run two GTX 970 cards in SLI.

Windows 8.1 install sizes seem to vary, but it should be somewhere less than 30GB. You could just go with "just" a 64GB SSD (if they still make them), but why not also install some programs and games on a larger SSD to have them load faster as well?

A screwdriver is the minimum you need but other tools are nice. I usually have a flashlight, long tweezers/pliers for picking up small parts, plastic zip ties and wire cutters/scissors, and a screw tray.

A tube of thermal paste comes with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink with enough for 3 or 4 applications, and some thermal paste is also pre-applied to the stock Intel heatsink bundled with the processor. You shouldn't need to buy any yourself, and if you wanted some for better cooling performance you could also just buy a better cooler instead of the 212 Evo.

RGM79

I was looking into a budget build for my girlfriend. Is this a decent combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1808688

I would prefer to avoid mail in rebates even though this has one $15 rebate.

The price isn't bad, but if you're willing to assemble a PC yourself, you could do a better build with a more compact PC and a better quality power supply. I'm not really sure about the quality of that Stallion PSU. Is a 120GB SSD enough for her needs?

Do you live near a Microcenter store? Are you willing to order from retailers other than Newegg if they have lower prices?

Kyne

So I just put together a new PC..

So far everything was running fine, but suddenly it started turning off on its own. I don't think it's a heating problem because these are the temps it's constantly running off;

problemss_zps98bfd7e8.png

Other than overheating, what would make a computer just instantly turn off? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

So far everything was running fine, but suddenly it started turning off on its own. I don't think it's a heating problem because these are the temps it's constantly running off;

Other than overheating, what would make a computer just instantly turn off? Any insight would be appreciated.
Use the monitoring tools in the OP and load test tools. Don't use speed fan.

Want under 70C CPU and your GPU should throttle at 90C

RGM79

Is it always shutting down after a certain period of time, or does it appear to be random?

Something could be shorting the motherboard, or it may be a faulty power supply. I remember a Pentium 4 system doing that, and it was because too many motherboard standoffs were installed. If the motherboard flexed or the case was shaken or moved just slightly, one of the standoffs would short circuit and cause it to turn off.

The funny thing about that system was that if I pushed down on the motherboard to flex it when the computer was off, it would actually turn on, and as soon as I stopped pushing down it would turn off again.

Make sure it's not a faulty case power button, or if there's a extra standoff or loose metal screw under the motherboard. You can also test the power supply with the paper clip trick and see if it shuts down after a certain period of time. Even if it doesn't, it may be that the power supply is faulty and not delivering proper power - that's harder to check, you would have to swap a different power supply into the PC and see how well it runs on the different one.

Kyne

Is it always shutting down after a certain period of time, or does it appear to be random?

Something could be shorting the motherboard, or it may be a faulty power supply. I remember a Pentium 4 system doing that, and it was because too many motherboard standoffs were installed. If the motherboard flexed or the case was shaken or moved just slightly, one of the standoffs would short circuit and cause it to turn off.

The funny thing about that system was that if I pushed down on the motherboard to flex it when the computer was off, it would actually turn on, and as soon as I stopped pushing down it would turn off again.

Make sure it's not a faulty case power button, or if there's a extra standoff or loose metal screw under the motherboard. You can also test the power supply with the paper clip trick and see if it shuts down after a certain period of time. Even if it doesn't, it may be that the power supply is faulty and not delivering proper power - that's harder to check, you would have to swap a different power supply into the PC and see how well it runs on the different one.

It's a little random?

So far I've updated my DirectX and unplugged my second monitor. I'll run a few test from the stuff on the first page but what exactly am I looking for? Thanks for the help guys.

edit: so I just started up netflix and a loud panicking noise comes from the case. Turns out the GPU goes apeshit and the fan kicks into overdrive? The screen goes black and I have to hard reset. What do you think happen?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless

Thank you all !!!!

Skyrim with lots of mods benefits greatly from SSD speeds also.

RGM79

It's a little random?

So far I've updated my DirectX and unplugged my second monitor. I'll run a few test from the stuff on the first page but what exactly am I looking for? Thanks for the help guys.

edit: so I just started up netflix and a loud panicking noise comes from the case. Turns out the GPU goes apeshit and the fan kicks into overdrive? The screen goes black and I have to hard reset. What do you think happen?

Panicking? Sorry, but what sort of noise is that? Do you mean it's running very fast or that it's abnormal because something is interfering with the fan?

So it's both shutting down and/or the screen goes black and unresponsive but still on?

So I have an XFX R7 260X Double D, have had it for about 1.5 years, and I just got Dying Light. Now, I know that the game is shittily optimized, but even on medium settings there are framerate drops. Is it my card's fault, or the poor optimization? Should I consider getting a newer card?

RGM79

So I have an XFX R7 260X Double D, have had it for about 1.5 years, and I just got Dying Light. Now, I know that the game is shittily optimized, but even on medium settings there are framerate drops. Is it my card's fault, or the poor optimization? Should I consider getting a newer card?

What are your complete system specs? Are you getting predictable framerate drops when you do certain things? The R7 260X is more or less roughly equal to the 6870 which just meets minimum specs for Dying Light.

It ran like complete arse on my 7950 which is more or less the R9 280. It is a terribly optimised game.

RGM79

If it makes you feel any better, the game ran like shit for me on the lowest settings with my i7 875K (overclocked to 4.0GHz, same generation as your i5 750) and R9 270X (in crossfire, didn't work very well). There's nothing wrong with what you have, I think, the game just doesn't run very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom