• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel any better, the game ran like shit for me on the lowest settings with my i7 875K (overclocked to 4.0GHz, same generation as your i5 750) and R9 270X (in crossfire, didn't work very well). There's nothing wrong with what you have, I think, the game just doesn't run very well.

Yeah, my specs are adequate, I think, for most modern games at least on medium. A lot of games, like Tomb Raider, I was able to play on Ultra with 30+ FPS. Dying Light is just a shitty port, I guess.

kikonawa

So I have an XFX R7 260X Double D, have had it for about 1.5 years, and I just got Dying Light. Now, I know that the game is shittily optimized, but even on medium settings there are framerate drops. Is it my card's fault, or the poor optimization? Should I consider getting a newer card?
Well your card isnt great eitheR. I run it at 1680x1050 (my screens resolition) pc is i3 with 7870TX .runs at medium anf high mixed fairly Well. ( i do not consider lower then 60fps unplayable like some types here ;) )

Yeah, my specs are adequate, I think, for most modern games at least on medium. A lot of games, like Tomb Raider, I was able to play on Ultra with 30+ FPS. Dying Light is just a shitty port, I guess.

That CPU is old an will suffer in open world games especially when paired with radeon GPUs.

Tomb Rider is previous gen corridor shooter with small maps completly diffrent type of game.

Dying light is bottlenecked by cpu even on overclocked Haswell:

dl_medium_1920.png

The price isn't bad, but if you're willing to assemble a PC yourself, you could do a better build with a more compact PC and a better quality power supply. I'm not really sure about the quality of that Stallion PSU. Is a 120GB SSD enough for her needs?

Do you live near a Microcenter store? Are you willing to order from retailers other than Newegg if they have lower prices?

I unfortunately do not live near a microcenter. I am willing to order from other stores. I prefer amazon due to prime, but I am fine with any reliable retailer. I can increase the hard drive to 256GB, and I was going to add on a 3TB hard drive from an older pc. Thank you for any help.

Cross posting from another thread.

I have my 970 hooked up via dvi to the monitor and through hdmi to my old tv to use as a race sim monitor. Never had any problem until yesterday. The tv screen just stays black. The thing is, nvidia control panel still shows the tv with all its supported resolution. Tho it seems a signal is being received by the card. The tv intermittently goes from 'no signal' to black to 'no signal' again as if it is partially connecting.

Tried:
Update driver
Update bios (msi gaming 5)
WinP of course
Change res options to prevent incompatible image formats being put through
Different hdmi cables. Which did not help.
Other devices like raspberry did show an image on the tv. So this seems to rule out faulty cables or the tv.
Even changed pci-e slot. No go.

My only suggestion would be that the hdmi port on the 970 is broken. But before I send it back to be replaced I would like to hear if there is another solution to the problem.

Alright, everyone. I'm in a predicament.

I rarely use my MacBook lately, so I'm considering selling it and upgrading my GPU. However, I'm not sure that upgrading will give me much of a bump with my current system. Here's what I'm running now:

• Intel Core i3 3220 @3.30 GHz (Stock)
  • 8 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4
  • PNY GeForce 770 GTX
  • 700-Watt Corsair PSU
  • 160GB 7200RPM HDD
What I'm considering is swapping the 770 for a 980. I'm starting to have trouble running newer games smoothly. Ideally I want a machine that could run something like Far Cry 4 on max settings at 1080p/60fps.

I know my CPU is a little lacking, but how much is it holding me back? Should I upgrade that first instead? My primary function is gaming, so that's the only thing I'm worried about it affecting.

One note: I just upgraded the motherboard, so I'm not touching that for probably 2 years at least. That means that if I do upgrade my CPU, I'll have to stick with LGA 1155.

I know I should really also spring for an SSD, but that's currently third on my list of things to upgrade. If you think I need to readjust that priority, please suggest that.

RGM79

I unfortunately do not live near a microcenter. I am willing to order from other stores. I prefer amazon due to prime, but I am fine with any reliable retailer. I can increase the hard drive to 256GB, and I was going to add on a 3TB hard drive from an older pc. Thank you for any help.

Took a bit of searching and checking to narrow it down to Newegg, Amazon, and Superbiiz, but this is the best you can get. I would have liked to keep it to just Newegg and Amazon, but Superbiiz has the best price on the processor, SSD, and case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $460.91 ($480.91 before rebate)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 07:22 EST-0500

Don't worry about the warning that says the motherboard may need a BIOS update to work with the i3 4150 processor. There are comments from verified buyers on Newegg that say it comes with a newer BIOS update that already works with the processor.

Both this and the Newegg bundle are $480 and have the same processor and SSD, but this parts list comes with a slightly better graphics card, a more compact case, and a better quality power supply that should have enough capacity to comfortably support any future mid-to-high range graphics card upgrade. There's a single $20 rebate for the power supply which brings down the total cost to $460, I hope you don't mind that.

Cross posting from another thread.

I have my 970 hooked up via dvi to the monitor and through hdmi to my old tv to use as a race sim monitor. Never had any problem until yesterday. The tv screen just stays black. The thing is, nvidia control panel still shows the tv with all its supported resolution. Tho it seems a signal is being received by the card. The tv intermittently goes from 'no signal' to black to 'no signal' again as if it is partially connecting.

Tried:
Update driver
Update bios (msi gaming 5)
WinP of course
Change res options to prevent incompatible image formats being put through
Different hdmi cables. Which did not help.
Other devices like raspberry did show an image on the tv. So this seems to rule out faulty cables or the tv.
Even changed pci-e slot. No go.

My only suggestion would be that the hdmi port on the 970 is broken. But before I send it back to be replaced I would like to hear if there is another solution to the problem.

Does your monitor or any other monitor you have take HDMI? Try that with the graphics card. Doesn't seem like there's a lot to troubleshoot. If you can get your hands on a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor you could try that, but your GTX 970 is probably still under warranty so the best thing to do would be to invoke warranty and get it RMA'd so you can get a working HDMI port rather than work around it.

Alright, everyone. I'm in a predicament.

I rarely use my MacBook lately, so I'm considering selling it and upgrading my GPU. However, I'm not sure that upgrading will give me much of a bump with my current system. Here's what I'm running now:

• Intel Core i3 3220 @3.30 GHz (Stock)
  • 8 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4
  • PNY GeForce 770 GTX
  • 700-Watt Corsair PSU
  • 160GB 7200RPM HDD
What I'm considering is swapping the 770 for a 980. I'm starting to have trouble running newer games smoothly. Ideally I want a machine that could run something like Far Cry 4 on max settings at 1080p/60fps.

I know my CPU is a little lacking, but how much is it holding me back? Should I upgrade that first instead? My primary function is gaming, so that's the only thing I'm worried about it affecting.

One note: I just upgraded the motherboard, so I'm not touching that for probably 2 years at least. That means that if I do upgrade my CPU, I'll have to stick with LGA 1155.

I know I should really also spring for an SSD, but that's currently third on my list of things to upgrade. If you think I need to readjust that priority, please suggest that.

The GTX 980 costs a lot, it's not very good for price-to-performance. The R9 290, R9 290X, or the GTX 970 are better deals for slightly lower performance.

Whether or not the CPU is a bottleneck depends on the kinds of games you play, but I am inclined to say that a CPU upgrade would help. An i5 quad core would definitely do very well for gaming - people with the earlier generation i5 2500K still don't have too much of a reason to upgrade yet for 1080p and 60FPS. However, the problem is that an i5 3570K costs $225 brand new (unless you live near a Microcenter where it's $170 in-store), that's a lot to spend on a discontinued processor. The 3570K isn't obsolete despite being discontinued. It's actually not too far off from the current generation 4690K in performance, but I wonder if you should really spend that much on discontinued socket 1155 hardware. It's too bad you replaced your motherboard not too long ago - it would have been a good excuse to upgrade to a current generation processor and motherboard.

Any chance you could return the motherboard or sell your current motherboard and CPU? If you were prepared to pay $550~600 for a GTX 980, I should say that in total an i5 4690K + cheap Z97 motherboard + R9 290 would cost just about that much. The R9 290 represents a decent 10~30% performance improvement over the GTX 770. Although the R9 290 does trail behind the GTX 980, it's hard to argue with the R9 290 costing only half as much as the GTX 980.

Leeroy605

Hey can anyone help me with my installation of windows?

Just downsized my computer to a mini itx, which means mostly new parts. Just installed windows 8 on it and the product key I've always used does not work. To be expected I mean its basically another computer right?

Now I did not deactivate windows from my old PC, but called Microsoft activation number and explained the situation, after speaking to them I thought it would work.

Now a different problem occurs, when I go to activate the window says that this key can only be used to upgrade windows (bought the windows 8 key when it came out through the reduced price upgrade path.)

What are my options here? Reinstall windows 7 then upgrade? Not even sure if that key was deactivated before being installed...

Thanks

RGM79

Hey can anyone help me with my installation of windows?

Just downsized my computer to a mini itx, which means mostly new parts. Just installed windows 8 on it and the product key I've always used does not work. To be expected I mean its basically another computer right?

Now I did not deactivate windows from my old PC, but called Microsoft activation number and explained the situation, after speaking to them I thought it would work.

Now a different problem occurs, when I go to activate the window says that this key can only be used to upgrade windows (bought the windows 8 key when it came out through the reduced price upgrade path.)

What are my options here? Reinstall windows 7 then upgrade? Not even sure if that key was deactivated before being installed...

Thanks

Your Windows key is technically only for upgrades - the difference is just pointless Microsoft bureaucracy. Just to clarify, you've already finished installing Windows and you're at the desktop, looking for a way to activate Windows?

It's still possible to activate with an upgrade key after doing a clean install of Windows. Follow this guide. Specifically step 5 or 6, try them in that order.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Figured I'd ask here, since this has me scratching my head. I picked up a 980 recently and was playing Far Cry 4. Well, the game crashed and I had to reboot (I was able to reboot normally, it just wouldn't let me exit the game or whatever) and now when I play the game, I can't get over 20 fps, and it's looking like the game won't clock over 400 Mhz.

Is my card dead, or did some switch get ticked on?

Edit: I think I solved it. Power manage in Nvidia Control Panel was causing it. I'll update if it happens again.

The GTX 980 costs a lot, it's not very good for price-to-performance. The R9 290, R9 290X, or the GTX 970 are better deals for slightly lower performance.

Hmm... my biggest concern is that I buy something just because it's what I can afford and get left in the dust later on. I bought the 770 about a year ago and now I'm already having trouble running games, and I want to avoid the same situation if possible.

I think I can get enough from selling my MacBook, 770, and a few other replaced parts to buy both a 970 and a CPU upgrade. That should put in a pretty good spot, and then I'll upgrade to an SSD in about 9 months.

RGM79

Hmm... my biggest concern is that I buy something just because it's what I can afford and get left in the dust later on. I bought the 770 about a year ago and now I'm already having trouble running games, and I want to avoid the same situation if possible.

I think I can get enough from selling my MacBook, 770, and a few other replaced parts to buy both a 970 and a CPU upgrade. That should put in a pretty good spot, and then I'll upgrade to an SSD in about 9 months.
What games are you having trouble running?

Does your monitor or any other monitor you have take HDMI? Try that with the graphics card. Doesn't seem like there's a lot to troubleshoot. If you can get your hands on a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor you could try that, but your GTX 970 is probably still under warranty so the best thing to do would be to invoke warranty and get it RMA'd so you can get a working HDMI port rather than work around it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing I could still try is hauling the PC downstairs and connect it to the main tv. If that doesn't work it's RMA.

Edit: HDMI works with the main tv. So I guess it's the old tv that's causing problems. Still weird that it does show an image from the PS3 just fine.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
It's hard to go wrong with most models of the GTX 750 Ti. There isn't one that's so low quality or poorly designed that you should avoid it. That said, if you're worried about graphics card size, then you should be considering a shorter single fan model rather than a dual fan model. This EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked model for $125 after $20 rebate should be perfect for you. It's one of the least expensive models available but is still factory overclocked to 1.18GHz and should be more than compact enough to fit.

Cheaper low quality power supplies can break down if pushed to their limit, whereas higher quality models can sometimes actually provide a little more than their rated specs comfortably. That said, I don't expect an extra hard drive and firewire card to actually push system wattage consumption over 300 watts. In the article I linked you, the system with the i5 4440 and GTX 750 Ti only consumed about 120 watts while gaming. The extra hard drive and expansion card should still amount to less than 200 watts for the entire system load.

What Firewire expansion card are you looking for? A PCI model will only do Firewire 400 at best, I think.

Thanks for the advice; I hadn't noticed that PCPartPicker site in the OP, but it's quite helpful. I finally got around to taking a photo of my system's interior, but unfortunately it's on a crappy phone camera.

Can't see the ruler lines obviously, but the two SATA ports are within 9" of the back, and just about on the same level as the lowest PCI port, so I guess that would make getting a double fan model moot anyway. One thing I do like about the included PSU is that since I am just looking to use this as a budget system, it has only the cabling that I actually need, and nothing extra to have to find a place to shove them. (I know about modular PSUs, but any expense I can avoid is quite welcome.)

I just realized after opening up my current system that I never actually had a PCI Firewire card anyway. It was my (quite nice at the time) motherboard that has every option but the kitchen sink, including a Firewire and ESATA connector that ran by wire to a back slot. Looking at the prices of Firewire cards, not really sure it's worth getting one when the only thing I'd use it for is if my mother asks me to copy her old MiniDV tapes to DVD. (Tried that once on my current system, and it seemed far too cumbersome in both time and HDD space.)

AmyS

So, what is the consensus on Nvidia 3D Vision 2.0 ?

Personally, I love stereo 3D, and unlike VR, I believe that 3D is far more mature as a technology.

GTAV is of course going to support triple screen 3D in upto 4K res.

So that's Nvidia Surround + Nvidia 3D Vision + 2160p for those that have the hardware to support it.

belmonkey

I see, I was wondering if it was power supply issues since you mentioned a Dell prebuilt, but apparently not.

That said, not really sure why you decided to underclock the core and overclock the memory. In any case, underclocking the core is safe, but perhaps try a more moderate memory overclock.

Not sure why your graphics card decided to lock itself at 405MHz, though.

I read something about unstable memory overclocks leading to the GPU underclocking iteself to 405 MHz core (and even lower memory speed). That seems about right because getting rid of the memory OC seemed to fix the issue. I didn't know an OC could become unstable though; I thought it was only ever a problem if the video driver crashed from an attempted overclock.

$369.99 after $25.00 rebate card - XFX Radeon R9 290X 8GB Double Dissipation Edition

It seems surprising to me that an 8GB GPU can be had for that price.

Ally1987

Im trying to oc my cpu at 4.5 ghz, but it wont clock over 4ghz, and I dont know why it won't. I thought everything was sett right in BIOS, or am I wrong?

wvob.jpg

xvob.jpg

yvob.jpg

1vob.jpg

What games are you having trouble running?

I cannot run Far Cry 4, Evolve, Wolfenstein, or Ethan Carter at max settings with a decent frame rate, even at sub-1080p resolution. I would like to be able to run these at 1080p and as close to 60fps as possible.

Chinbo37

Ok, as mentioned a couple pages back I am helping my friend put together his first build. He has been purely a console gamer for the past 20 years or so, but prior to that when we were kids we played a lot of PC. He was a big 360 user but wants to skip the XBONE and wants to switch over to PC.

I have helped him to pick some parts already, and now I need to get him the rest of his stuff and keep him within his budget, so any help you could offer would be great. I have trouble cutting back according to budget, cause I often want to recommend teh "Best" which is usually the "most expensive"

His Budget: USD 1800 including tax (he already has a monitor so this will not be included in the budget)

Main Use: Gaming, emulation, movie playback etc.

Monitor Resolution: 1440p @ 60 HZ

When will you build?: ASAP

Will you be overclocking?: Possibly in a year or 2

Parts he already has:

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case - $70.00

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor – $320.00

HDD: WD Blue 1TB – $54.00

Total: $444.00 add say 8% tax (he is in CA) so lets say $480

That gives him $1,320 for the rest including tax

Parts he still needs to order

Motherboard: ASUS GRYPHON Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977
This seems like a good deal, $95 bucks after rebate, its the last gen model but does it even matter? Is this wireless LAN?

RAM: Corsair Vengance Low Profile two 8 gig sticks - $140.00

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 - $550.00

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB - $120.00

Power Supply: Corsair HX 750 PSU - $120.00

Optical Drive: DVD RW Drive $20.00

Heatsink: Coolermaster 212 $35.00

XBOX 360 Wireless receiver: $16.80

Xbox 360 wireless gamepad: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXTX2YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - $52.99

Windows 8.1: $25.00

Extras: Consider he might need some extra cables or something, plus a good surge protector and one additional 120 mm fan: $50.00

Total of the rest without tax - $1,204.79, with tax $1,301.17

That keeps him within his budget. Any comments on parts, specifically the motherboard I chose?

Took a bit of searching and checking to narrow it down to Newegg, Amazon, and Superbiiz, but this is the best you can get. I would have liked to keep it to just Newegg and Amazon, but Superbiiz has the best price on the processor, SSD, and case.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $460.91 ($480.91 before rebate)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 07:22 EST-0500

Don't worry about the warning that says the motherboard may need a BIOS update to work with the i3 4150 processor. There are comments from verified buyers on Newegg that say it comes with a newer BIOS update that already works with the processor.

Both this and the Newegg bundle are $480 and have the same processor and SSD, but this parts list comes with a slightly better graphics card, a more compact case, and a better quality power supply that should have enough capacity to comfortably support any future mid-to-high range graphics card upgrade. There's a single $20 rebate for the power supply which brings down the total cost to $460, I hope you don't mind that.

Whether or not the CPU is a bottleneck depends on the kinds of games you play, but I am inclined to say that a CPU upgrade would help. An i5 quad core would definitely do very well for gaming - people with the earlier generation i5 2500K still don't have too much of a reason to upgrade yet for 1080p and 60FPS. However, the problem is that an i5 3570K costs $225 brand new (unless you live near a Microcenter where it's $170 in-store), that's a lot to spend on a discontinued processor. The 3570K isn't obsolete despite being discontinued. It's actually not too far off from the current generation 4690K in performance, but I wonder if you should really spend that much on discontinued socket 1155 hardware. It's too bad you replaced your motherboard not too long ago - it would have been a good excuse to upgrade to a current generation processor and motherboard.

Any chance you could return the motherboard or sell your current motherboard and CPU? If you were prepared to pay $550~600 for a GTX 980, I should say that in total an i5 4690K + cheap Z97 motherboard + R9 290 would cost just about that much. The R9 290 represents a decent 10~30% performance improvement over the GTX 770. Although the R9 290 does trail behind the GTX 980, it's hard to argue with the R9 290 costing only half as much as the GTX 980.

Thank you! Everything looks great. :)

Leeroy605

Your Windows key is technically only for upgrades - the difference is just pointless Microsoft bureaucracy. Just to clarify, you've already finished installing Windows and you're at the desktop, looking for a way to activate Windows?

It's still possible to activate with an upgrade key after doing a clean install of Windows. Follow this guide. Specifically step 5 or 6, try them in that order.

Thanks for the info, I tried the methods in that guide but unfortunately it did not work. Completely reinstalled windows again and the option to activate through phone appeared again, went through this and it worked fine so all is well. Thanks for the help!

Kyne

Panicking? Sorry, but what sort of noise is that? Do you mean it's running very fast or that it's abnormal because something is interfering with the fan?

So it's both shutting down and/or the screen goes black and unresponsive but still on?

Seems like this. What would cause a fan to just shoot to 100% fan usage, all while crashing the displays?

Edit: also, something that's been irking me. In the past anytime I'd start up my computer all of my usb gadgets (mouse/keyboard) would instantly turn on. Now they just turn on when I'm at the sign in screen. Any known reason for this?

derek212

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MxwxP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MxwxP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($269.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1069.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 09:15 EST-0500

I'm going with mozendo build because of the bigger case. Just another question the monitor I wanted is out of stock and I need one. Can any one recommend one that's a good gaming one up to $300 bigger the screen the better . Could do $350 if needed.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So what does everyone do with their old components, especially if they're far too old to be of use in any current system? I've had my old PC from university just sitting around, as well as a box full of the stuff that came out of previous builds, some of which are over a decade old. I've read that Best Buy does free electronics recycling, but was wondering if there was anything better than just essentially throwing them out.

I figure that even if I do recycle my old parts that way, my old hard drives are also too old and small to be of use. I have a bunch of old PATA drives ranging from 20-150GB. Too small to really consider buying an enclosure when a few thumb drives would do the job better anyway. Should I just take a power drill to them to be on the safe side and then recycle them with everything else?

So I've been having BSOD errors for months now, and after trying different combinations of ram sticks (all 4 of my Corsair 1600) not solving the problem, I think it's time to try another MB.

I have an i5 3470 "overclocked" to 3.8GHz with my current Asus P8Z77-V LX. I want to try another MB model to avoid incompatibility with my Corsair RAM.

Does any of you guys know if a Z75 (Asrock Z75 Pro3) will also allow me to raise the turbo of my 3470 like a Z77 motherboard?

cyen

Personally, I love stereo 3D, and unlike VR, I believe that 3D is far more mature as a technology.

So that's Nvidia Surround + Nvidia 3D Vision + 2160p for those that have the hardware to support it.

3D Vision is almost "abandonware", even in the nvidia website there isnt no new games on the supported list.

I was getting a kit myself when i purchuased the 980 but after investigation a bit it seems like a bad deal.

RGM79

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing I could still try is hauling the PC downstairs and connect it to the main tv. If that doesn't work it's RMA.

Edit: HDMI works with the main tv. So I guess it's the old tv that's causing problems. Still weird that it does show an image from the PS3 just fine.

I guess the problem isn't as clear as it seemed to be. I don't suppose jiggling the cable or connectors does anything, does it? Just to rule out loose connections.

I cannot run Far Cry 4, Evolve, Wolfenstein, or Ethan Carter at max settings with a decent frame rate, even at sub-1080p resolution. I would like to be able to run these at 1080p and as close to 60fps as possible.

What graphics settings have you tried? You may want both a processor and GPU upgrade.

Seems like this. What would cause a fan to just shoot to 100% fan usage, all while crashing the displays?

Edit: also, something that's been irking me. In the past anytime I'd start up my computer all of my usb gadgets (mouse/keyboard) would instantly turn on. Now they just turn on when I'm at the sign in screen. Any known reason for this?

Ugh, that's a lot of issues. The USB thing sounds like it would be a motherboard issue, but I don't know why the graphics card would ramp up fan speed - motherboard wouldn't have control over that, as far as I know.

So what does everyone do with their old components, especially if they're far too old to be of use in any current system? I've had my old PC from university just sitting around, as well as a box full of the stuff that came out of previous builds, some of which are over a decade old. I've read that Best Buy does free electronics recycling, but was wondering if there was anything better than just essentially throwing them out.

I figure that even if I do recycle my old parts that way, my old hard drives are also too old and small to be of use. I have a bunch of old PATA drives ranging from 20-150GB. Too small to really consider buying an enclosure when a few thumb drives would do the job better anyway. Should I just take a power drill to them to be on the safe side and then recycle them with everything else?

How old, and are they still in running order? There are PC reuse/recycle organizations like Freegeek that I'd donate parts to before giving them to Best Buy to be scrapped. If you prefer to keep your privacy and destroy the hard drives that's fine. I took apart a dead hard drive recently for the very strong magnet inside, and the platters make decent mirrors.

Kezen

Banned
I've always been taught that CPU doesn't really matter as long as your GPU is good.

That's true in some games, much less so in others. You really should not trust anything you read on the internet.
Cheaping out on the CPU is one of the worst mistake you can make.

RGM79

So I've been having BSOD errors for months now, and after trying different combinations of ram sticks (all 4 of my Corsair 1600) not solving the problem, I think it's time to try another MB.

I have an i5 3470 "overclocked" to 3.8GHz with my current Asus P8Z77-V LX. I want to try another MB model to avoid incompatibility with my Corsair RAM.

Does any of you guys know if a Z75 (Asrock Z75 Pro3) will also allow me to raise the turbo of my 3470 like a Z77 motherboard?

According to this chart, the only difference between the Z75 and Z77 chipsets is Intel SRT smart response technology, which is the ability to use SSDs for caching files for faster loading. You should be able to use a Z75 motherboard just fine.

I've always been taught that CPU doesn't really matter as long as your GPU is good.

CPU is also required for decent framerate, but it really depends on the game, usually games see a better improvement from a better graphics card than processor, while there's a few that rely more heavily on CPU (like Civilization, other strategy/RTS games heavy on AI, etc).

That said, if the game developers say a certain processor or better is needed, you probably do need to have an equivalent processor or better for the best experience. Yes, there are some companies known for overstating requirements... but your processor is weaker than the recommendations and the game doesn't run well on your PC, so it's very likely that your CPU is the bottleneck.

According to this chart, the only difference between the Z75 and Z77 chipsets is Intel SRT smart response technology, which is the ability to use SSDs for caching files for faster loading. You should be able to use a Z75 motherboard just fine.

Thanks a lot, that's a great comparison, exactly what I wanted.

I do have an SSD for my OS + productivity programs, but I don't think RST will be a big impact. I'll give it a check though.

just want some input on a new system build. i use my current computer for gaming (1080p) and video production, both pretty heavily. there's nothing overly wrong with my machine, other than i suspect my 680 has been on the way out for awhile (i'm regularly encountering BSODs that are in part caused by the NVIDIA drivers) but things can always be faster, better, etc.

i would sooner just upgrade my current machine, but between wanting to go from an i5 to an i7, a larger SSD for my main drive, and some issues with the front USB ports on my tower (namely, they're shot) i'm already looking at replacing over half the components anyway. might as well build new.

Going from:
  • i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (I had this overclocked for a time, but it was unstable and caused issues in games)
  • 16gb DDR3 RAM, 4 x 4gb
  • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
  • EVGA GTX 680 2GB
  • 128gb Crucial SSD
  • 1TB SeaGate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • CoolerMaster 700W PSU

Want to go to:
  • Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
  • Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5"
  • MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
  • Corsair Air 540 Silver
  • Cooler Master VSM 750W

Thoughts? I'd like to stay around $1450 in budget, otherwise I'd go for a 980. At this point I'll probably upgrade the GPU with part of next year's tax return.

Have

I5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5
980 gtx
8gb ram
Gene z iv mb

If I was going to get a new processor which would you recommend? I seem to be fine in gaming but is it bottle necking my rig?

RGM79

just want some input on a new system build. i use my current computer for gaming (1080p) and video production, both pretty heavily. there's nothing overly wrong with my machine, other than i suspect my 680 has been on the way out for awhile (i'm regularly encountering BSODs that are in part caused by the NVIDIA drivers) but things can always be faster, better, etc.

i would sooner just upgrade my current machine, but between wanting to go from an i5 to an i7, a larger SSD for my main drive, and some issues with the front USB ports on my tower (namely, they're shot) i'm already looking at replacing over half the components anyway. might as well build new.

Going from:
  • i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (I had this overclocked for a time, but it was unstable and caused issues in games)
  • 16gb DDR3 RAM, 4 x 4gb
  • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
  • EVGA GTX 680 2GB
  • 128gb Crucial SSD
  • 1TB SeaGate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • CoolerMaster 700W PSU

Want to go to:
  • Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
  • Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5"
  • MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
  • Corsair Air 540 Silver
  • Cooler Master VSM 750W

Thoughts? I'd like to stay around $1450 in budget, otherwise I'd go for a 980. At this point I'll probably upgrade the GPU with part of next year's tax return.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.73 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1462.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 17:25 EST-0500

There's room for a GTX 980, you're pretty much at the limit of your budget, though. If you don't mind dropping down to a GTX 970, it may be possible to go for X99 instead with a 5820K, I think the six cores would help with video production better than a hyperthreading quad core.

Compared to your initial build:
You probably don't need the UD5H unless there's a specific reason you want it, the Z97X-SLI should do just fine for you. For just $2 more, you can get a Toshiba 7200RPM 2TB drive instead. I'm guessing my EVGA 750 watt PSU costs less than the Cooler Master model you were looking at, it also has a great review from Jonny Guru.

Have

I5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5
980 gtx
8gb ram
Gene z iv mb

If I was going to get a new processor which would you recommend? I seem to be fine in gaming but is it bottle necking my rig?
There shouldn't be any bottlenecks. You have limited options for upgrades because socket 1155 is discontinued, you'd probably need to look for used processors for a good deal and the 3570K is barely an upgrade. The 2600K or 3770K are bigger upgrades, but hyperthreading on a quad core does not really add to game performance.

What games are you playing that it seems like you're not getting enough performance in?

Hey all hoping u can help me out. My motherboard/processor just fried on me and I need to replace it. It was a fairly old amd phenom board so I'm not to choked up about it however I need to replace it.

Whats a decent processor/motherboard in the 200-300$ Cad range?
I'm not planning to do much heading gaming... Mostly just PC exclusive alike SC and DOTA

Iorv3th

Im interested as well. Got the ASUS VG248QE and it supports 3D Vision. I don't think there is another way to use 3d on these monitors.

kharma45

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.73 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1462.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 17:25 EST-0500

There's room for a GTX 980, you're pretty much at the limit of your budget, though. If you don't mind dropping down to a GTX 970, it may be possible to go for X99 instead with a 5820K, I think the six cores would help with video production better than a hyperthreading quad core.

Compared to your initial build:
You probably don't need the UD5H unless there's a specific reason you want it, the Z97X-SLI should do just fine for you. For just $2 more, you can get a Toshiba 7200RPM 2TB drive instead. I'm guessing my EVGA 750 watt PSU costs less than the Cooler Master model you were looking at, it also has a great review from Jonny Guru.

There shouldn't be any bottlenecks. You have limited options for upgrades because socket 1155 is discontinued, you'd probably need to look for used processors for a good deal and the 3570K is barely an upgrade. The 2600K or 3770K are bigger upgrades, but hyperthreading on a quad core does not really add to game performance.

What games are you playing that it seems like you're not getting enough performance in?

Yeah I'd say go X99

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1563.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-21 17:48 EST-0500

Lum1n3s

What are people's thoughts on Asrock? Have never used any of their boards and was interested in one of their new Z97 boards.

I think I remember reading an article a while back about some motherboard company revamping their style, maybe it was Asrock that I'm thinking of?

What are people's thoughts on Asrock? Have never used any of their boards and was interested in one of their new Z97 boards.

I think I remember reading an article a while back about some motherboard company revamping their style, maybe it was Asrock that I'm thinking of?
AFAIK, Asrock is shit. Avoid their mobos like the plague.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Want to get a media card bay for my PC, but only have 1 USB 3.0 header. Can you get a 3.0 header splitter, and would it work well at all?

scogoth

Want to get a media card bay for my PC, but only have 1 USB 3.0 header. Can you get a 3.0 header splitter, and would it work well at all?

You would need a usb3 hub. For a media card bay you might as well just use a usb2 header it's not going to be that huge of a difference unless you need to move like thousands of RAW photos back and forth on a daily basis.

Chinbo37

i posted this one page back, but it was a long post and I basically have one main question.

Any reason NOT to recommend this board to a friend doing a mATX and his first build?

ASUS GRYPHON Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131977
This seems like a good deal, $95 bucks after rebate, its the 87 chipset but does it even matter?

The CPU he will pair with it is a i7-4790K

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
If I have a 2500k, have processors improved enough in the past years to warrant an upgrade and notice a significant performance boost? I've been out of the loop.

TGMIII

What's the consensus on standard HHDs for main drive, got a drive failing on a PC and need a drive for windows/software. WD10EZEX alright for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom