• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

I've been having a weird problem with the audio jack on my new motherboard.
There is a very slight sort of high pitched noise coming out of it at desktop. When I mouse over things like the tabs on chrome I hear a bit of static. When I play CS:GO, the noise is a lot louder and straight up noticeable. The noise changes a bit whenever I move my mouse.
My setup is I have my headphones plugged into the rear (mobo) audio jack on my PC. The front audio port on my computer case doesn't seem to have the noise.
Anyone have any idea how I might solve this problem? I'm guessing it's some kind of interference issue but I have no idea where to begin.

demolitio

It's probably better to try some troubleshooting first. Try removing the GTX 970 and see if it still acts up. Maybe put the old graphics card back. If you still have issues, then it's not the graphics card.

You will not be able to find a new P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard for less than about $100 which already costs as much as a new Z97 motherboard, and I don't recommend buying used socket 1155 motherboards unless it's really cheap and you don't plan to use it for a long time. If it turns out to be a broken motherboard but you don't have $100, then there are compatible budget H61 motherboards for $40 and less brand new, although I can't vouch for reliability nor quality.

Thanks, going to try it tomorrow but if USB ports are failing too, I figured it'd be the motherboard. Will check tomorrow to make sure.

My current motherboard is an MSI Z68-G45-B3.

RGM79

Going by the prices you mentioned earlier, the R9 280 is the best deal. It's generally better than or at least equal to the GTX 760, has more VRAM, and even costs less than all of the other GTX 760 models. Both Tom's Hardware and Legit Reviews liked the Sapphire R9 280, they considered it a solid graphics card, but Legit Reviews' testing sample died when it was overclocked a bit too far, something to be wary about if you intend to overclock the graphics card.

kharma45

The R9 285 is worth looking at too. 1GB less VRAM than the 280 but uses a fair bit less power and supports AMDs new features like their version of downsampling.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Friends, help me decide on one of these three drives? (prices are in Canadian $)

SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB $190
or
Crucial MX100 512GB $225
or
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB $260

Currently I'm using an Intel 320series 120GB drive and I do like the idea of stepping up to 500GBs. But also, from one of the benchmarks I have seen the crucial drives seem to have a significant drop in performance after the drive has been filled to the 50% mark. Any idea if these new Samsung 850series have similar issues? And if I'm completely off the mark then please suggest a drive I should be looking at. Thanks.
If you want the space, the MX100 is a no btsiner but I would recommend the 850 Pro. It's stellar and 256gb is more than ample SSD storage. That and it has great longevity. More than any other SSD they've offered.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys, taking a shot in the dark here but i've been having problem with my HTPC..

I put together a rig few months ago and maybe someone else has experienced something similar

CPU: Intel G358
Mainbord: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H
Memory: G Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1600
HDD: Sandisk Extreme II
PSU: Corsair 430W

In short, I've been getting a shit ton of blue screens. It's usually different errors every time and when I google them its usually related to bad drivers or something. One of them that I remember was "page fault in nonpaged error" but the errors are different every time.

The weird thing is that I never get blue screened when I'm watching a movie or TV show, which is pretty much all I do on the computer. It usually blue screens (or sometimes it has just frozen up and I must hard reset) when I've left the computer go idle or when I'm doing something in windows, such as updating drivers/windows, configuring stuff,watching youtube etc.

The computer was overclocked but I set it back to default settings and the blue screens still occur, possibly even more frequently now?

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. All the drivers are installed and up to date. Do you guys think it could be a faulty SSD? I've heard lots of bad things about SSD's going bad, but my sandisk has very good reviews. I'm also scared of reformatting because I've spent hours configuring XBMC and other things that I'm afraid I don't how to do anymore..

thanks for any advice.. really at the end of my wit here

Repo Man

There is a very slight sort of high pitched noise coming out of it at desktop. When I mouse over things like the tabs on chrome I hear a bit of static. When I play CS:GO, the noise is a lot louder and straight up noticeable. The noise changes a bit whenever I move my mouse.
My setup is I have my headphones plugged into the rear (mobo) audio jack on my PC. The front audio port on my computer case doesn't seem to have the noise.
Anyone have any idea how I might solve this problem? I'm guessing it's some kind of interference issue but I have no idea where to begin.

What mouse is it ? I had a slightly similar issue with my G9 causing faint "whining" but the sound seemed to come from somewhere in the mobo. Turned out that I had the polling rate set to 1000mhz ( or was it 1000hz ? ) whereas the standard polling rate for usb ports is 125mhz i think, i could be wrong on that. In any case, the noise went away when i lowered the rate to 500 or 250 or something along those lines.

Flandy

I think this is what I use and it gets the job done. Play games, netflix, etc.

Are you getting your full speed?
I'm using this powerline and I'm only getting about half my full speed
4019666206.png

laptop test via wifi
4019668354.png

bbd23

Classic fedex just said I wasn't home when I attempted delivery but I've been here all day. looks like I wont be getting those headphones a day early :p

garath

Are you getting your full speed?
I'm using this powerline and I'm only getting about half my full speed
4019666206.png

laptop test via wifi
4019668354.png

You should double check to see if your ethernet adapter is set to full duplex. It will likely be set to auto but it might only be doing half from the powerline adapter. I'd try setting it to full manually before writing off the powerline. Exactly half speed is suspicious.

Flandy

You should double check to see if your ethernet adapter is set to full duplex. It will likely be set to auto but it might only be doing half from the powerline adapter. I'd try setting it to full manually before writing off the powerline. Exactly half speed is suspicious.

I have no idea what any of this means or how I would go about changing it :x
I did try using the old router our ISP gave us and I was getting the full 50/50 speed and then some. However, this seemed to cause issues with the cable box and the internet connection elsewhere in the house suffered so I had to stop. That is why i'm currently using the power line

Hellish

Building my dad a HTPC using 2 old parts rest new let me know if you would change anything, the mobo listed has wireless which is needed

CPU Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz 69.99

Mobo MSI H97I AC LGA 1150 119.99

Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin 51.99

GPU GTX 650 Already Have

SSD 500GB WD Blue Already Have

PSU SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W 79.99

CASE Silverstone Sugo SST-SG06BB 59.99

Total: 381.95

Prices are CDN$

Building my dad a HTPC using 2 old parts rest new let me know if you would change anything, the mobo listed has wireless which is needed

GPU GTX 650 Already Have

Prices are CDN$

I would definitely go for a cheaper PSU. Sorry I don't have a recommendation.

Verder

Ended up on the very last parts of my pc shopping spree.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0 ($559.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

I may tweak some things before i finish. but i really love the Corsair Case

Friends, help me decide on one of these three drives? (prices are in Canadian $)

SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB $190
or
Crucial MX100 512GB $225
or
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB $260

Currently I'm using an Intel 320series 120GB drive and I do like the idea of stepping up to 500GBs. But also, from one of the benchmarks I have seen the crucial drives seem to have a significant drop in performance after the drive has been filled to the 50% mark. Any idea if these new Samsung 850series have similar issues? And if I'm completely off the mark then please suggest a drive I should be looking at. Thanks.

Sequential read and write speeds on all three of those drives at those sizes are almost identical. I myself will be picking up a 512GB MX100. The price to size and performance is just unbeatable. I have not seen any statements of the crucial drive performance drops, so I'd like to see the link if you have it. The 850 Pro will outperform it, no doubt, but the extra space is just too good a deal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8066/crucial-mx100-256gb-512gb-review/6

LilJoka

It's interference from poor grounding usually, try getting an insulated copper wire and connecting the outside metal shroud of the rear Audio jacks to an unpainted point of the case, or better yet into the ground pin of the 24Pin ATX connector.

Also why not use the front audio jacks?

kharma45

Ended up on the very last parts of my pc shopping spree.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0 ($559.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

I may tweak some things before i finish. but i really love the Corsair Case

Very nice.

Blearth

Banned
Soooo G Skill isn't responding to my RMA requests.

I had to submit it twice after they ignored me the first time.

Should I submit another one? I feel like an ass for stealing the RAM out of my little brother's PC until I get this fixed.

PC bros, i just got these:

500x605px-LL-33bb0175__BAY1188.jpeg

and i'll be using them on my Asus Maximus Formular VI Mobo. It has a whole bunch of stuff for headphones (bottom left in the pic)

line.jpg

Is there anything i should know / buy to get the best out of these?

Will the DAC and AMP on my mobo be good enough or do i absolutely need to get an external dac (like the Audioengine D1) to make them shine?

Help is always appreciated guys :)

Helmholtz

It's interference from poor grounding usually, try getting an insulated copper wire and connecting the outside metal shroud of the rear Audio jacks to an unpainted point of the case, or better yet into the ground pin of the 24Pin ATX connector.
Also why not use the front audio jacks?
Thanks for the suggestion, I might give this a go. The front audio jack is fine, but I have both headphones and speakers and I usually put one device in each port so I can easily switch between them.

What mouse is it ? I had a slightly similar issue with my G9 causing faint "whining" but the sound seemed to come from somewhere in the mobo. Turned out that I had the polling rate set to 1000mhz ( or was it 1000hz ? ) whereas the standard polling rate for usb ports is 125mhz i think, i could be wrong on that. In any case, the noise went away when i lowered the rate to 500 or 250 or something along those lines.
I actually have a logitech G400s. I'll try what you suggested but I feel like this is more internal hardware related.

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
Hi - I'm in the process of planning an upgrade and I wanted your advice. I currently have the following:

Case: NZXT Apollo Gaming Case
Processor: i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Memory: 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE
Power Supply: 800 Watt
Drive: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

I think that I am getting CPU limited in some games and I'm considering a full motherboard / CPU upgrade. Money is not a huge issue (no problem spending $750 - $1000 in upgrades if necessary). Any thoughts? Should I also get another 780 Ti in SLI? Should I sell my 780 Ti and get a 980? I'm confused. Thanks!

rtcn63

Will the DAC and AMP on my mobo be good enough or do i absolutely need to get an external dac (like the Audioengine D1) to make them shine?

I have an Asus Z77, and never found the integrated audio particularly terrible. If you want something better, maybe consider a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber combo (the amp even has outputs to connect powered monitors):

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

If you just want a cheap all-in-one http://schiit.com/products/fulla

cyen

Hi - I'm in the process of planning an upgrade and I wanted your advice. I currently have the following:

I think that I am getting CPU limited in some games and I'm considering a full motherboard / CPU upgrade. Money is not a huge issue (no problem spending $750 - $1000 in upgrades if necessary). Any thoughts? Should I also get another 780 Ti in SLI? Should I sell my 780 Ti and get a 980? I'm confused. Thanks!

That´s still a very capable processor, specially if overclocked. In your case i would probably just switch to X99 and wait for GM200\390X. Upgrading from a 780TI to a 980 would be a relatively small upgrade, and 780sli would be cpu limited (and VRAM limited for the horsepower of two 780ti) IMO.

Reg

Banned
If you want the space, the MX100 is a no btsiner but I would recommend the 850 Pro. It's stellar and 256gb is more than ample SSD storage. That and it has great longevity. More than any other SSD they've offered.

Sequential read and write speeds on all three of those drives at those sizes are almost identical. I myself will be picking up a 512GB MX100. The price to size and performance is just unbeatable. I have not seen any statements of the crucial drive performance drops, so I'd like to see the link if you have it. The 850 Pro will outperform it, no doubt, but the extra space is just too good a deal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8066/crucial-mx100-256gb-512gb-review/6

Thanks for the replies. It's a tough decision. I do like the idea of having a solid 512GBs of space.

Anyways this was the benchmark I was looking at. Definitely not a deal breaker but maybe something to consider.

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
That´s still a very capable processor, specially if overclocked. In your case i would probably just switch to X99 and wait for GM200\390X. Upgrading from a 780TI to a 980 would be a relatively small upgrade, and 780sli would be cpu limited (and VRAM limited for the horsepower of two 780ti) IMO.

Thanks Cyen - I don't have it overclocked. Maybe that's what I should do first before worrying about getting a new one.

Thanks for the replies. It's a tough decision. I do like the idea of having a solid 512GBs of space.

Anyways this was the benchmark I was looking at. Definitely not a deal breaker but maybe something to consider.

Yeah, that is a considerable reduction from the Samsung Pro, almost a 20% drop at 50% utilization. The question is is it worth $150 more or the loss of 256 GB? I guess it depends on how much stuff you want to put on there.

RGM79

What version of Windows would you most recommend for a desktop that will mainly be used for gaming? Is 8.1 the best way to go?

Windows 8.1 has proper DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 support, and I've read that Windows 7 doesn't properly fully support DirectX 11.1, so in theory Windows 8.1 is better, but I don't know if the differences in things like framerate is really that much. If you don't like the Windows 8.1 UI, it is possible to install start menu replacements and skip the tile UI on startup - you'll barely ever see it again.

GPU GTX 650 Already Have

Prices are CDN$
If you don't mind going up to mATX, I think you could save a bit of money going with a larger case that can take a non-SFF power supply.

What will you be using this computer for? What are your needs?

Honestly the performance of even a budget ssd like the mx100 is so strong that I would go for the 512GB drive versus having the absolute best of the best. Also you should be able to find it cheaper... I've seen it at $199 (I bought at $204) in Canada.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
PC bros, i just got these:

500x605px-LL-33bb0175__BAY1188.jpeg

and i'll be using them on my Asus Maximus Formular VI Mobo. It has a whole bunch of stuff for headphones (bottom left in the pic)

line.jpg

Is there anything i should know / buy to get the best out of these?

Yooooooo!

Didn't know the X2s were a thing! I've had the X1 on my wish list for like six months. I want the best gaming headset I can get. Went from wanting 598s to AKG 701 and then the X1. Heard the Phillips are the absolute best gaming headphones you can get under $500.

What's improved with the X2?

May have to splurge with Christmas money. Those and a Soundblast ZX is high on my want list right now.

Yooooooo!

Didn't know the X2s were a thing! I've had the X1 on my wish list for like six months. I want the best gaming headset I can get. Went from wanting 598s to AKG 701 and then the X1. Heard the Phillips are the absolute best gaming headphones you can get under $500.

What's improved with the X2?

May have to splurge with Christmas money. Those and a Soundblast ZX is high on my want list right now.

hey dude,

Yeah i was all about the X1's and then these popped up. They came out a few months ago.

The main differences are :

They now have removable ear pads
The sound has been refined so they are more balanced sounding and not basy like the X1
Different head band so they are better for larger heads
low impedance cable
Angled 50 MM Driver

This guy in a very very horrible shirt gives a great run down of what's new and how they sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RJ3M_v8is

Wallach

My ASUS MX279H just got here a bit ago... my god. It's beautiful. Goodbye my trusty TN panel.

Edit - Side note, nice timing nVidia finally implementing the fuckin' full/limited toggle over HDMI. Hard to believe that was a problem as long as it was.

Windows 8.1 has proper DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 support, and I've read that Windows 7 doesn't properly fully support DirectX 11.1, so in theory Windows 8.1 is better, but I don't know if the differences in things like framerate is really that much. If you don't like the Windows 8.1 UI, it is possible to install start menu replacements and skip the tile UI on startup - you'll barely ever see it again.

Perfect, thanks RGM79.

Was playing around with my bios and it made me wonder if I would gain anything from updating windows to UEFI.
Specs: msi Z87-G45, intel i5 4670k, 250 gb samy evo ssd, windows 8.1 64.

My understanding of these things is limited, and searching the net hasn't really tought me much. So....is moving to uefi windows worth anything for an average joe like me?

Okay friends, building a comp for the parents

Already have a case, HDD, and peripherals. What is the best cheap mobo and ram to match with a pentium pentium g3258?

And what program can I use to remove desktop/tunnel into theirs so I can always fix their computer from my house?

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
What will you be using this computer for? What are your needs?

I would use it primarily for AAA gaming. I'm at a point in my life (namely my mid-thirties... yuck) where I feel like should be done with worrying if I can max out of a game. I want to be able to max out most titles for a few years to come.

This would be exclusively a gaming PC - nothing else.

Thanks!!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gaf. Help me out. I need the best gaming mid tower you can recommend.

I'd love something optimized for silence and cooling.

Nanoxia Deep Silence line has gotten favorable reviews in being nice and quiet. I plan on getting one for myself with my upcomming build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom