• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

I'm looking for a new mechanical keyboard. My budget is around 100-150, but I can juggle that.

The caveat is that it should be a little more quiet than most mechanical keyboards since my computer is in close proximity to a bedroom and I don't want to disturb them too much.

I was looking at the Razer BlackWidow, is that a good choice? Any suggestions?

vocab

Was playing around with my bios and it made me wonder if I would gain anything from updating windows to UEFI.
Specs: msi Z87-G45, intel i5 4670k, 250 gb samy evo ssd, windows 8.1 64.

My understanding of these things is limited, and searching the net hasn't really tought me much. So....is moving to uefi windows worth anything for an average joe like me?
The hell is uefi windows.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
hey dude,

Yeah i was all about the X1's and then these popped up. They came out a few months ago.

The main differences are :

They now have removable ear pads
The sound has been refined so they are more balanced sounding and not basy like the X1
Different head band so they are better for larger heads
low impedance cable
Angled 50 MM Driver

This guy in a very very horrible shirt gives a great run down of what's new and how they sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RJ3M_v8is

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I have a new pair to lust over.

RGM79

I'm looking for a new mechanical keyboard. My budget is around 100-150, but I can juggle that.

The caveat is that it should be a little more quiet than most mechanical keyboards since my computer is in close proximity to a bedroom and I don't want to disturb them too much.

I was looking at the Razer BlackWidow, is that a good choice? Any suggestions?

Instead of looking for a certain brand, you should be looking for a switch type. Cherry MX brown switches sound like what you want, maybe also with o ring dampeners.

Gaf. Help me out. I need the best gaming mid tower you can recommend.

I'd love something optimized for silence and cooling.

Fractal Define R5.

I would use it primarily for AAA gaming. I'm at a point in my life (namely my mid-thirties... yuck) where I feel like should be done with worrying if I can max out of a game. I want to be able to max out most titles for a few years to come.

This would be exclusively a gaming PC - nothing else.

Thanks!!

The 780 Ti is still a top end graphics card, you should be able to max out most games, depending on the resolution you play at. Are you having any trouble maxing out graphics in certain games? Depending on how much money you can sell your GTX 780 Ti for, it may or may not be worth it to get the GTX 980 - it's just a slight improvement of 10-20% in framerate between the two. It's hard for me to recommend SLI other than anything as a future option. SLI and crossfire aren't perfect, and even though support has gotten better over the years, it's still not perfect, and not all games are optimized for it. Overclocking the CPU is also a good suggestion, it's a cost effective way of getting more performance out of your current parts, what CPU cooler do you have?

Okay friends, building a comp for the parents

Already have a case, HDD, and peripherals. What is the best cheap mobo and ram to match with a pentium pentium g3258?

And what program can I use to remove desktop/tunnel into theirs so I can always fix their computer from my house?

For me at least, whatever the best cheap parts are depends on what the prices are like. How much RAM will they need? What are they using the computer for? Compact mATX/mITX motherboards or normal ATX?

If you have a older socket 1150 processor you can use to update BIOS, then the cheapest you could go with is an H81 or B85 motherboard for $50 or less, update the BIOS, then it'll work with the G3258. Otherwise, stick with H97 for working compatibility out of the box.

I find that Teamviewer works well - set it to run on startup and allow unattended access, and as long as the computer is on, you can connect and interact with their PC without them needing to enable or turn on anything before you do.

Was playing around with my bios and it made me wonder if I would gain anything from updating windows to UEFI.

My understanding of these things is limited, and searching the net hasn't really tought me much. So....is moving to uefi windows worth anything for an average joe like me?

I don't really understand what you mean by upgrading to UEFI? UEFI is a system that replaced BIOS for motherboards, it became more or less standard around 2-3 years ago. Either your motherboard has UEFI or it doesn't.

Hey RGM79, just wanted your insight on this.

I've just seen on Hexus a piece on the Asus X99-A motherboard and how you can currently jump onto the X99 bandwagon with it for £190 or cheaper (Gigabyte X99-UD3 going for £160).

As you know I have bought several parts for my build but have yet to drop the cash on the mobo and CPU. I want the computer to last at least 4 years and I'll be using it for light rendering/heavy photoshop (more CPU intensive) and some gaming so the question is this....

Should I go for a cheaper X99 board, i7 5820K and cheaper DDR4 memory

or

A top X97 board, i7 4970k and good DDR3 memory?

I mean, is it worth spending £100 or so more to future proof the system with the first option or do you not think the price/performance ratio is there yet?

kharma45

I've just seen on Hexus a piece on the Asus X99-A motherboard and how you can currently jump onto the X99 bandwagon with it for £190 or cheaper (Gigabyte X99-UD3 going for £160).

As you know I have bought several parts for my build but have yet to drop the cash on the mobo and CPU. I want the computer to last at least 4 years and I'll be using it for light rendering/heavy photoshop (more CPU intensive) and some gaming so the question is this....

or

I mean, is it worth spending £100 or so more to future proof the system with the first option or do you not think the price/performance ratio is there yet?

I'd go for Haswell-E. You'll get a 6 core, 12 thread unit. There's no real 'cheap' X99 boards either so you'll be fine there.

Edit - Also for the 4790K you'd need a Z97 motherboard, not X97.

kharma45

Sorry RGM79, realized your last post was a few hours ago, and you can't reply on a whim!

Just for anyone interested in a comparison between the two types of boards (X79 V X99) in gaming orientated benchmarks:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...-asus-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-quad-sli/index.html

Just in case you're on the wrong track that's not comparing the two platforms you posted about in your post above mine.

That's comparing Intel's two enthusiast platforms, the older Ivy Bridge-E vs Haswell-E.

What you'll be looking at is Haswell vs Haswell-E.

'd go for Haswell-E. You'll get a 6 core, 12 thread unit. There's no real 'cheap' X99 boards either so you'll be fine there.

Thanks for your opinion, I'm taking in everything I read and hear :)

Yeah and by 'cheaper' I meant comparatively speaking with Z97 boards. I told a little porky above as I did actually place an order on Ebay last night for the Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force Motherboard Intel 1150, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I jumped on this as someone was selling it new for £96! But I can always send it back if I change my mind.

Could Google this but I take it a 5820K is not compatible with the SOC Force? Anyone know a decently priced board for the 5820k?

EDIT:

Just in case you're on the wrong track that's not comparing the two platforms you posted about in your post above mine.

That's comparing Intel's two enthusiast platforms, the older Ivy Bridge-E vs Haswell-E.

What you'll be looking at is Haswell vs Haswell-E.

Thanks ok.

riflen

If you mean install Windows on a GPT disk partition, rather than the legacy MBR partition, then there's very little to gain for someone with an existing install on MBR. If I were you, I'd forget about it until the next time you need to install Windows.

GPT does not have the limitations of MBR (2 Terabyte disk limit for 512 byte disks and maximum of 4 primary partitions).

LilJoka

Yeah and by 'cheaper' I meant comparatively speaking with Z97 boards. I told a little porky above as I did actually place an order on Ebay last night for the Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force Motherboard Intel 1150, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I jumped on this as someone was selling it new for £96! But I can always send it back if I change my mind.

Could Google this but I take it a 5820K is not compatible with the SOC Force? Anyone know a decently priced board for the 5820k?

As kharma said
Z97 Haswell i7 4790k (4c8t)
X79 Sandy bridge E i7 3930k/Ivy bridge E i7 4930k (6c/12t)
X99 Haswell E 5820k (6c12t), 5930k (8c16t)

X79 is still totally viable platform, the Sandy E chips tend to overclock a lot better.
3930k 5Ghz = 4930k 4.8Ghz = 4.6Ghz 5930k.
3930k average overclock about 4.6Ghz
4930k average overclock about 4.4Ghz

Z97 won't see more than 4c8t.

5820k has less PCIE lanes compared to the 5930k. So lot of who go X99 for SLI get a 5930k. But 2 GPUs at PCIE 3.0 should still be fine on a 5820K.

Imo if you aren't going multi GPU go Z97 and save the money for future GPU upgrades. Get a 4790k and overclock the crap outta it.

DDR4 is also very pricey and has negligible fps bonus.

The better the board the more Overclocking potential, but that's about it expect for board physical features such as fan headers and audio components.

kharma45

EDIT:

Thanks ok.

For Z97 you need to go for a 4770K or a 4790K. That's the only two unlocked i7s the Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force will take.

To use the 5820K you need to go X99. I'm not big into X99 but from a quick bit of research the MSI X99S SLI Plus seems to be a good, reasonably priced board for that platform.

As kharma said
Z97 Haswell i7 4790k (4c8t)
X79 Sandy bridge E i7 3930k/Ivy bridge E i7 4930k (6c/12t)
X99 Haswell E 5820k (6c12t), 5930k (8c16t)

X79 is still totally viable platform, the Sandy E chips tend to overclock a lot better.
3930k 5Ghz = 4930k 4.8Ghz = 4.6Ghz 5930k.
3930k average overclock about 4.6Ghz
4930k average overclock about 4.4Ghz

Z97 won't see more than 4c8t.

5820k has less PCIE lanes compared to the 5930k. So lot of who go X99 for SLI get a 5930k. But 2 GPUs at PCIE 3.0 should still be fine on a 5820K.

Imo if you aren't going multi GPU go Z97 and save the money for future GPU upgrades. Get a 4790k and overclock the crap outta it.

DDR4 is also very pricey and has negligible fps bonus.

The better the board the more Overclocking potential, but that's about it expect for board physical features such as fan headers and audio components.

For Z97 you need to go for a 4770K or a 4790K. That's the only two unlocked i7s the Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force will take.

To use the 5820K you need to go X99. I'm not big into X99 but from a quick bit of research the MSI X99S SLI Plus seems to be a good, reasonably priced board for that platform.

Thanks these posts are all really helpful to me. It's more of a dilemma as I'm not going multi-GPU with my build, and don't really plan to, as this PC will be for work.

But at the same time, I'm building this at a real transition period as the X99 boards are dropping in price month by month apparently.

LilJoka

Transition period will be when a motherboard which supports 6cores is at £110, 8GB DDR4 at £50. It's not going to transition though since it's marketed as an enthusiast platform. And I don't see 6c chips hitting mainstream Z97 type boards for atleast another 18months. DDR4 won't drop till it hits mainstream boards either.

If you want to go X99 consider going 2nd hand on board CPU and memory.

Transition period will be when a motherboard which supports 6cores is at £110, 8GB DDR4 at £50. It's not going to transition though since it's marketed as an enthusiast platform. And I don't see 6c chips hitting mainstream Z97 type boards for atleast another 18months. DDR4 won't drop till it hits mainstream boards either.

If you want to go X99 consider going 2nd hand on board CPU and memory.

Ok thanks, makes perfect sense.

Hip Hop

Guys.

I'm selling my GPU to a friend and will fall back on Integrated with my i5 3570k until I get a GTX 970.

Anything special I should do for this (Like uninstalling Nvidia drivers) or do I just simply disconnect my GPU and hook up the HDMI to the motherboard?

Guys.

I'm selling my GPU to a friend and will fall back on Integrated with my i5 3570k until I get a GTX 970.

Anything special I should do for this (Like uninstalling Nvidia drivers) or do I just simply disconnect my GPU and hook up the HDMI to the motherboard?

Not much, just that.

Uninstall Nvidia driver.
Remove GPU.
Plug cable into mobo.
Boot up.

Rizzi

So guys. I keep finding myself looking at 970's. I guess a new gpu is a thing that will be happening soon. Are there any Radeon cards comparable to the 970, or is Nvidia the clear winner in the current video card market?

The hell is uefi windows.
I don't really understand what you mean by upgrading to UEFI? UEFI is a system that replaced BIOS for motherboards, it became more or less standard around 2-3 years ago. Either your motherboard has UEFI or it doesn't.

Sorry I wasn't clear at all.
I noticed that my msi click-bios is booting in bios+uefi, and doesn't allow me to run just uefi mode. My windows 8.1 doesn't have the "uefi firmare options" in advance settings.
Was wondering if I should reinstall the os in uefi.

If you mean install Windows on a GPT disk partition, rather than the legacy MBR partition, then there's very little to gain for someone with an existing install on MBR. If I were you, I'd forget about it until the next time you need to install Windows.
GPT does not have the limitations of MBR (2 Terabyte disk limit for 512 byte disks and maximum of 4 primary partitions).

So it's not faster to boot, or anything?
Thx for your input.

DPB

So guys. I keep finding myself looking at 970's. I guess a new gpu is a thing that will be happening soon. Are there any Radeon cards comparable to the 970, or is Nvidia the clear winner in the current video card market?

There's the R9 290 and 290x, which are both a little slower. If you can't afford a 970 then the non-x version is a good deal, as it's somewhat cheaper and not very far behind the 290x. Keep in mind that they use a lot more power than the 970.

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
The 780 Ti is still a top end graphics card, you should be able to max out most games, depending on the resolution you play at. Are you having any trouble maxing out graphics in certain games? Depending on how much money you can sell your GTX 780 Ti for, it may or may not be worth it to get the GTX 980 - it's just a slight improvement of 10-20% in framerate between the two. It's hard for me to recommend SLI other than anything as a future option. SLI and crossfire aren't perfect, and even though support has gotten better over the years, it's still not perfect, and not all games are optimized for it. Overclocking the CPU is also a good suggestion, it's a cost effective way of getting more performance out of your current parts, what CPU cooler do you have?

Thanks for your reply. I'm able to max out most settings with the exception of antialiasing, post processing, tesselation, ambient occlusion and other super intensive settings in a few games (Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition). I have a liquid cooled cpu but I've never overpacked a cpu before. Do you think I'd see any gains? Regarding the video card, I think you're probably right. My motherboard doesn't support SLI (it supports crossfire though). It probably makes sense for me to wait for a major card iteration prior to any upgrading.

riflen

I noticed that my msi click-bios is booting in bios+uefi, and doesn't allow me to run just uefi mode. My windows 8.1 doesn't have the "uefi firmare options" in advance settings.

Thx for your input.

It's possible boot will be faster, but it's unlikely to be very noticeable. If you're installing a new system, you should be partitioning your OS boot drive with a GPT partition and using your system in UEFI mode.
It's more secure, you don't have to chainload if you use multiple Operating Systems and you gain some nice features like loading the UEFI from within Windows and vice versa (this is probably the firmware feature you're referring to).

Other than that, it wont change your life. If you've got Windows and loads of software installed on an MBR partition already, I'd leave it until you next need to reinstall the OS.

So I'm looking to build a PC for my brother. I have a space MSI Radeon R9 290x that I'm giving him along with case/psu/ram. So he just needs a motherboard/cpu. Preferably a bundle that's pre-built for ease, but what ever is the best deal really.

Any suggestions on one that would work? His ideal budget is £300 max.

Been looking at the bundles on overclockers, but no idea what would be the better one.

kharma45

So I'm looking to build a PC for my brother. I have a space MSI Radeon R9 290x that I'm giving him along with case/psu/ram. So he just needs a motherboard/cpu. Preferably a bundle that's pre-built for ease, but what ever is the best deal really.

Any suggestions on one that would work? His ideal budget is £300 max.

Been looking at the bundles on overclockers, but no idea what would be the better one.

Bundles are usually not great. There's no need for a pre assembled one either. All you're doing is putting the CPU in the socket and attaching the fan. Pointless to pay someone to do that.

I'd look at

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £282.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-30 14:30 GMT+0000

longdi

Banned
Thanks these posts are all really helpful to me. It's more of a dilemma as I'm not going multi-GPU with my build, and don't really plan to, as this PC will be for work.

But at the same time, I'm building this at a real transition period as the X99 boards are dropping in price month by month apparently.

Imo 5820K + Asus X99S + Crucial Sport DDR4 is pretty affordable for something a little better.

Most 5820K can go up to 4.4 - 4.5Ghz easily at 1.18-1.24v. So that is a lot of power and more future proof with six cores.

My old X79 3930K at 4.5Ghz aces the quadcores in latest games.

Asus X99S looks similar to their Deluxe model, just without all the wireless jazz. A cut down model on accessories but otherwise the same innards.

Crucial sport DDR4 is selling really cheap at Amazon US. At least much cheaper than other similar DDR4!

Dont forget to get a better cooler with Haswell-E. Something like Thermalright True 140Power.

benjammin

Hey guys,

Quick question as I haven't built a new pc in quite a while. I have a case, ssd, storage drives, etc., and I'm looking at going with the i5 4690k, 16 gb RAM, a 970, and some kind of aftermarket cpu cooler. I'll be doing mostly gaming, some graphic and web design, but the gaming will be the most hardware intensive task that I'm doing. I'm interested in light overclocking down the road, favoring stability over raw speed, and my first major upgrade next year will likely be a second 970 in sli. My question is about the mobo. I'm looking at the gigabyte ga-z97x-sli right now. It seems to be a good fit based on everything above, but it isn't quite as feature rich as what you get for closer to $200. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it, but I'd appreciate anyone's opinion before I do. Will the ga-z97x-sli fit my needs, and if not can you recommend anything else that would be better? Thanks so much!

Thx for your input.

It's possible boot will be faster, but it's unlikely to be very noticeable. If you're installing a new system, you should be partitioning your OS boot drive with a GPT partition and using your system in UEFI mode.
It's more secure, you don't have to chainload if you use multiple Operating Systems and you gain some nice features like loading the UEFI from within Windows and vice versa (this is probably the firmware feature you're referring to).

Other than that, it wont change your life. If you've got Windows and loads of software installed on an MBR partition already, I'd leave it until you next need to reinstall the OS.
Pretty much. In my rush to get my current build up, I didn't format my install correctly. I've been using it over a year now with no issues (other than niggly win8 issues). I am going to be running into a huge issue soon though since I plan on dual booting my build and it's going to basically require me to reinstall windows with proper partitioning.
Hey guys,

Quick question as I haven't built a new pc in quite a while. I have a case, ssd, storage drives, etc., and I'm looking at going with the i5 4690k, 16 gb RAM, a 970, and some kind of aftermarket cpu cooler. I'll be doing mostly gaming, some graphic and web design, but the gaming will be the most hardware intensive task that I'm doing. I'm interested in light overclocking down the road, favoring stability over raw speed, and my first major upgrade next year will likely be a second 970 in sli. My question is about the mobo. I'm looking at the gigabyte ga-z97x-sli right now. It seems to be a good fit based on everything above, but it isn't quite as feature rich as what you get for closer to $200. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it, but I'd appreciate anyone's opinion before I do. Will the ga-z97x-sli fit my needs, and if not can you recommend anything else that would be better? Thanks so much!

Yes it will fit your needs just fine. Try not to get caught up in features unless it's something you know you'll absolutely be using.

Qwyjibo

My specs posted a couple pages back:

Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
XFX Radeon HD 5850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec Earthwatts 750W Modular Power Supply
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX case

Thanks for the video card suggestions and advice. I've heard GTX 970 in other places as well, even with my CPU. After reading reviews of that and cards like the 280X and 290, I think I like what I've read about the 970 the most even though I've been an AMD user going back to my Radeon x1650. I figure when/if I upgrade further, I would still be reasonably future-proofed with this card.

Now it becomes a question of which 970?. I'm not looking to overclock. I mostly care about reliability (no overheating), price and also something that will actually fit in my case. Incremental performance differences between brands don't mean too much to me.

I'm in Canada and all models seem to be around $370-420. Zotac ones come in cheaper but is that a case of "you get what you pay for"? I've read some good things about the MSI Gaming one in terms of cooling/noise. Any specific one to keep an eye on?

Well my computer is finally dying on me, haven't really done much to it in six years, figured it deserves a rebuild at this point. Will all this work together?

CPU: i7-4790
RAM: Patriot 16 GB Viper III DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X
GPU (Graphics): Gigabyte GTX 970
PSU (Power Supply): Cooler Master V750
Case: Corsair Air 540
HDD (Hard Drive): MX100 512 GB SSD

Haven't done this in forever, any tips are appreciated, though $1600 is my max.

The Llama

Well my computer is finally dying on me, haven't really done much to it in six years, figured it deserves a rebuild at this point. Will all this work together?

Yeah, but get a 4790k if you can. I'd also recommend just getting a 256GB SSD with a 1 or 2TB HDD.

The Llama

Yeah the 4790k is is actually what I have on my Amazon list, so no worries there. Is there a particular reason to go with 256 GB instead of a 512 GB? Cost mostly?

Yeah, I haven't budgeted out those parts but I think its wise to have a 1 or 2TB HDD for extra storage. If you can afford that plus a 512GB SSD, go for it!

Yeah, I haven't budgeted out those parts but I think its wise to have a 1 or 2TB HDD for extra storage. If you can afford that plus a 512GB SSD, go for it!

I actually have a 2 TB HDD in the desktop I'm replacing, probably four years old? Guess I can use that.

I guess my last question is what cases do you guys recommend over the Corsair Air 540? I don't like the look really but I'm not sure what I'd like more. Someone at work got rid of a pretty much brand new Antec 900 that I'm using right now, not sure if I should change though.

RGM79

First, some questions to narrow down your needs and requirements.

- Do you have any parts from your old PC that you may be reusing? You can just list your old PC's specs.
- What resolution is your monitor that you will be using?
- What will you be using the PC for? Gaming? Media production? Workstation?
- Will you be overclocking or doing dual graphics cards in the future? This can tie into the next question.
- Do you want a more compact PC, at the cost of future expandability?
- I assume you're in the US?
- When will you be buying?

The parts you already listed should all be compatible, but I don't know which exact models you're talking about for some parts.

My specs posted a couple pages back:

Thanks for the video card suggestions and advice. I've heard GTX 970 in other places as well, even with my CPU. After reading reviews of that and cards like the 280X and 290, I think I like what I've read about the 970 the most even though I've been an AMD user going back to my Radeon x1650. I figure when/if I upgrade further, I would still be reasonably future-proofed with this card.

Now it becomes a question of which 970?. I'm not looking to overclock. I mostly care about reliability (no overheating), price and also something that will actually fit in my case. Incremental performance differences between brands don't mean too much to me.

I'm in Canada and all models seem to be around $370-420. Zotac ones come in cheaper but is that a case of "you get what you pay for"? I've read some good things about the MSI Gaming one in terms of cooling/noise. Any specific one to keep an eye on?

For your case, the Gigabyte models of the GTX 970 won't fit, they're just a tiny bit too long. In terms of noise level, MSI Gaming 4G and Asus Strix are nice - they both have the ability to turn off fans when at low temperatures for completely silent 2D/idle operation.

If you're looking for a cheaper graphics card, then maybe the R9 290 is more your budget. They start at $270 and offer slightly less performance for a much lower price.

Hey guys,

I'd recommend the GA-Z97X-SLI. The main thing that other motherboards offer at higher price levels is more port for expansion, some arguably unnecessary features like wifi and gimmicky audio addons, and looks.

or

Sorry RGM79, realized your last post was a few hours ago, and you can't reply on a whim!

Just for anyone interested in a comparison between the two types of boards (X79 V X99) in gaming orientated benchmarks:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...-asus-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-quad-sli/index.html

That's all right. The other guys have more than answered what you needed to know.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
about to buy and build my first custom gaming pc! kinda excited and nervous. specs:

CPU: i5-4690K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 250GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W
CASE: NZXT Source 340

i'm just trying to figure out how to install Windows 8.1 on it from USB. i have no clue how to make a bootable USB.

- Do you have any parts from your old PC that you may be reusing? You can just list your old PC's specs.

I honestly can't even tell you the specs, everything except my 2 TB HDD is six years old. Doesn't help much but I hadn't really planned on reusing anything except the HDD.

- What resolution is your monitor that you will be using?

I'm currently using two Dell E248WFP 24" monitors. Can't afford to upgrade them and my PC at the same time, but I'm probably going to look to replace them in the summer with two ASUS VG248QE monitors.

- What will you be using the PC for? Gaming? Media production? Workstation?

Gaming and workstation. My Surface Pro 3 is my take to work computer, this will be more of a toy than anything probably.

- Will you be overclocking or doing dual graphics cards in the future? This can tie into the next question.

Don't plan on overclocking (but can't say I won't), dual graphics cards are not something I'm going to do though.

- Do you want a more compact PC, at the cost of future expandability?

Size factor isn't a concern, but I would lean towards larger just so building feels less cramped.

- I assume you're in the US?

Louisiana, yep.

- When will you be buying?

If there is a reason to hold off I can, but my plan was to start ordering sometime next week.

The parts you already listed should all be compatible, but I don't know which exact models you're talking about for some parts.

Which do I need to be more specific on?

Kayant

about to buy and build my first custom gaming pc! kinda excited and nervous. specs:

i'm just trying to figure out how to install Windows 8.1 on it from USB. i have no clue how to make a bootable USB.

Use this little program no install needed. Once you have the windows iso just click the cd icon and choose the windows iso. Also make sure you have the right usb selected because it you format it(Loss all your current data).

Boss Man

That is super close to what I just built and it runs like a dream. I would advise paying attention to your fans/case because it turns out a high end PC is really easy to make silent these days (did it by accident). With that GPU, PSU, and an SSD you are most of the way there so take advantage.

The Llama

That is super close to what I just built and it runs like a dream. I would advise paying attention to your fans/case because it turns out a high end PC is really easy to make silent these days (did it by accident). With that GPU, PSU, and an SSD you are most of the way there so take advantage.

Hah, ain't that the truth. I have a completely different build than that, but I'm shocked how quiet it is. I sleep with it ~10 feet away from me (studio apartment) and don't even bother turning it off at night or anything because I can't hear it anyway.

RGM79

Are there any hard drive enclosures that can support those new 8 tb HDDs coming out or do I have to wait for that to be a thing?

This article seems to explain exactly what you need.

I honestly can't even tell you the specs, everything except my 2 TB HDD is six years old. Doesn't help much but I hadn't really planned on reusing anything except the HDD.

I'm currently using two Dell E248WFP 24" monitors. Can't afford to upgrade them and my PC at the same time, but I'm probably going to look to replace them in the summer with two ASUS VG248QE monitors.

Gaming and workstation. My Surface Pro 3 is my take to work computer, this will be more of a toy than anything probably.

Don't plan on overclocking (but can't say I won't), dual graphics cards are not something I'm going to do though.

Size factor isn't a concern, but I would lean towards larger just so building feels less cramped.

Louisiana, yep.

If there is a reason to hold off I can, but my plan was to start ordering sometime next week.

Which do I need to be more specific on?
1. Just wondering if there's anything else to save money on. DDR3 RAM has been around for about as long as your old computer, although I suppose you won't need to reuse that, it's probably a slower speed than what you can afford now.

2. For 144Hz monitors if you want a framerate to match that refresh rate, you'll have to consider twin graphics cards or turn down graphics settings, depending on what games you play.. but 1920x1080 at 60Hz won't be too difficult for a single GTX 970.

3. Ok, nothing to comment about.

4. Well, I'd recommend an Intel K series just so you have the option in the future. Overclocking is relatively easy, and for a $30 cost increase it'll either last you longer before upgrading again or give you better resale value if you sell it earlier.

5. If you won't be doing dual graphics for sure, then you could go micro ATX form factor, it won't be that cramped. Is that Antec 900 case you have now a good size? I could recommend something similar, or you could even just use that.

Any preference for style design or maybe sound absorbing cases?

6. I can probably put together a list of parts for you by tonight or someone else here can, I am busy at the moment and putting together a list on my phone isn't ideal.

7. Well, there's two or three different Gigabyte GTX 970 models, and I don't know of which Gigabyte motherboard you meant, pretty much all of the Z97 models have model numbers starting with "GA-Z97X". Same thing with the memory, there's a whole bunch of different speeds and design variations on Patriot Viper 3 RAM.

Razor554

So My old PC died and i'm currently looking to get new one asap.

Most of the parts in this list are in decent discount in my local pc store and i was wondering would this be a decent PC? I'm looking to do some gaming at 1080p and i'm not going to OC.

Already got Win8, DVD drive and good monitor.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER TX3 EVO
Motherboard: ASROCK H97 PRO4 Socket1150 4xDDR3 D-Sub
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V
Storage(SSD): Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5"
Storage: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB
Video Card: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB GDDR5 OC PCI-E 3.0+NSF Space Edition
Power Supply: XFX 550W PRO Core Edition ATX-80+ Bronze Certified
Case: ZALMAN Z9 PLUS 4x120MM FAN CONTROL ATX

RGM79, this is the exact items I'm looking at that I didn't specify. Lemme know what you think, thanks for all the help.

This GPU: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NH5T1MS/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=1TZVGVB1UQKRI&coliid=I38CA7HYCNUQM4

This RAM: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FGNYFF2/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=1TZVGVB1UQKRI&coliid=IG0PEOXPGL76

This motherboard: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K2RQDXY/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_7?colid=1TZVGVB1UQKRI&coliid=I2IXQKKR0M3XTV

Case wise, I'll take any recommendation, big or small.

That's all right. The other guys have more than answered what you needed to know.

Thanks they certainly did.

Imo 5820K + Asus X99S + Crucial Sport DDR4 is pretty affordable for something a little better.

Most 5820K can go up to 4.4 - 4.5Ghz easily at 1.18-1.24v. So that is a lot of power and more future proof with six cores.

My old X79 3930K at 4.5Ghz aces the quadcores in latest games.

Asus X99S looks similar to their Deluxe model, just without all the wireless jazz. A cut down model on accessories but otherwise the same innards.

Crucial sport DDR4 is selling really cheap at Amazon US. At least much cheaper than other similar DDR4!

Dont forget to get a better cooler with Haswell-E. Something like Thermalright True 140Power.

Yeah I read the same sentiments here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/intel-core-i7-5820k-haswell-e-6-core-cpu-review/9/

The author basically says the expense of the 5820k is worth it if the purpose of your build will be CPU-focused. For gaming and everything else, the 4790k is perfect and great value.

Thanks for all that info though, I am leaning more towards your selection atm, and I think I am going to delay buying the parts by a few weeks until next payday so that I can afford the extra expense!

RGM79

So My old PC died and i'm currently looking to get new one asap.

Most of the parts in this list are in decent discount in my local pc store and i was wondering would this be a decent PC? I'm looking to do some gaming at 1080p and i'm not going to OC.

Already got Win8, DVD drive and good monitor.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER TX3 EVO
Motherboard: ASROCK H97 PRO4 Socket1150 4xDDR3 D-Sub
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V
Storage(SSD): Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5"
Storage: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB
Video Card: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB GDDR5 OC PCI-E 3.0+NSF Space Edition
Power Supply: XFX 550W PRO Core Edition ATX-80+ Bronze Certified
Case: ZALMAN Z9 PLUS 4x120MM FAN CONTROL ATX
What are the prices that you will be paying for the parts? Is it a package deal? You may be able to find better RAM for a lower price elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom