• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the v-moda boompro mic to attach to my HD 558s after a bit of modding.

Wow, I love the headphones + 3rd party mic combo...I can't go back to gaming headsets now.

Yea, I did the same thing with my ATH-M50x's. I was worried about voice monitoring as I can't go without it. No problem at all though, great voice monitoring on the mod mic.

Lethal

Neo Member
So I just upgraded to a 7700k and a gigabyte z270 gaming k5. Added a corsair h80 to keep things cool. But I think I got a bum chip. Oc got me to 4.9 @ 1.33v. real bench temps ranging from 84 to 91 per core during testing. Idles at around 34 in ambients of sub 20 but if I start a single program, it jumps to 50/60 degrees.

All of this delidding talk has me curious...

So I just upgraded to a 7700k and a gigabyte z270 gaming k5. Added a corsair h80 to keep things cool. But I think I got a bum chip. Oc got me to 4.9 @ 1.33v. real bench temps ranging from 84 to 91 per core during testing. Idles at around 34 in ambients of sub 20 but if I start a single program, it jumps to 50/60 degrees.

All of this delidding talk has me curious...

Do it.

I just delidded a 7700k. Easy peasy.

dcx4610

I decided to go ahead and pick up the Asus PG279Q 165hz 1440p monitor since it looks like the 4k monitors are going to be $2000.

I'm happy with it overall. No dead pixels and just a small bit of IPS glow in the corners as expected. One thing that I didn't expect though is how tiny everything is in Windows and my apps. I've been on 1080p for so long, I haven't had a resolution jump since the CRT days so its a bit jarring.

For those of you with 27" screens and 1440p, did you adjust to the smaller scale or did you use the Windows scaling option to bump it to 125% or larger? 125% looks like the scale that my 1080p display had and makes everything easier to look at and read but part of me doesn't like the idea of scaling and since it's "fake" and I'm missing out on the extra screen real estate.

Any pros and cons to scaling? Does it effect games or only Windows? It's bothering me bad that I don't know which way to go.

That was actually my next question, upgrade paths. Is a 1080 too much power, would I be better off with the 1070?

I was using Valley Benchmark 1.0 for the stress tests by the way.

Too much power? Shirley, you can't be serious. ;)

I have a new 1080 and I already wish I had even more power so I could run everything in 4K at the highest settings.

I have windows installed on C: and my games are on another two drives, one a mechanical HDD the other a SSD.

When I upgrade, I will need to format my c drive, but do I need to format the other drives with my games on them?

Were the benefits as insane as reported? 30 degree drops at load?

Tbh I would do it for 10 degree drops

do you have before/after temperatures from benchmarks? :D

I don't even bother benchmarking before delidding anymore. My 3570k dropped 20C at load, then my 4790k dropped 22C at load. I delidded the 6700k and 7700k as soon as I got them.

I used the Rockit88 delid tool for Skylake and Kaby. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between the die and heatsink, Kryonaut between heatsink and cooler. If you need any help with the process, let me know.

Does anyone here have mismatching monitors?

I'm looking into getting a 144Hz monitor, but buying two of them is out of the question so I'll just keep my regular 60Hz one. Both are 1080p. Is it bothersome on the eyes? Is the difference in refresh rates handled well? Eg I'm gonna game on the 144Hz monitor, basic desktop stuff relegated to the 60Hz one.

If it's relevant, I'll be getting an RX480 or whatever new equivalent come that'll come out later this year. Don't care about graphics fidelity as much as image quality / native framerates, so I always drop my settings till I get them.

Bloodember

Does anyone here have mismatching monitors?

I'm looking into getting a 144Hz monitor, but buying two of them is out of the question so I'll just keep my regular 60Hz one. Both are 1080p. Is it bothersome on the eyes? Is the difference in refresh rates handled well? Eg I'm gonna game on the 144Hz monitor, basic desktop stuff relegated to the 60Hz one.

If it's relevant, I'll be getting an RX480 or whatever new equivalent come that'll come out later this year. Don't care about graphics fidelity as much as image quality / native framerates, so I always drop my settings till I get them.

I use two different monitors and have no issues. But both of mine are 60hz.

I would like to build a pc for my livingroom tv and I have no idea where to begin. I will be gaming on 55" 1080p tv so I don't need something super powerful (I don't think?), but I have no clue of the type of specs I should targeting?
Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Bloodember

I would like to build a pc for my livingroom tv and I have no idea where to begin. I will be gaming on 55" 1080p tv so I don't need something super powerful (I don't think?), but I have no clue of the type of specs I should targeting?
Any help at all would be much appreciated.

What's your budget? What type of games do you want to play? Do you need a copy of Windows and keyboard and mouse?

chrislowe

The new Kaby Lake Pentium with hyperthreading is a really great cpu for a low cost actually.

I would not buy a i3 kaby lake if I was buying a new cpu today on a budget.

battlefield 1 in 1080P it differs 3 fps from a pentium 4600 to a i3 7100.
But the pricedifference is $50

Crysis 3 - 2 fps
GTA V - 3fps
Witcher 3 - 2fps

Not worth the extra $50 if you ask me to get a i3 kaby lake.

LilJoka

The new Kaby Lake Pentium with hyperthreading is a really great cpu for a low cost actually.

I would not buy a i3 kaby lake if I was buying a new cpu today on a budget.

battlefield 1 in 1080P it differs 3 fps from a pentium 4600 to a i3 7100.
But the pricedifference is $50

Crysis 3 - 2 fps
GTA V - 3fps
Witcher 3 - 2fps

Not worth the extra $50 if you ask me to get a i3 kaby lake.

The pentium is a good choice now that it has hyperthreading.

Vipu

Banned
I use two different monitors and have no issues. But both of mine are 60hz.

I have 144hz 24" 1080p and 60hz 26" 1200p screens and no problems.
I dont even know what would be the problem? Maybe if you play or do anything with both screens at same time in 1 program I guess that would be annoying to have smooth and laggy screen in same.

But other than that I dont know why would it matter to have different hz screens etc.

What's your budget? What type of games do you want to play? Do you need a copy of Windows and keyboard and mouse?

I was thinking around $1500ish(CAD) and I play just about everything. I am really looking forward start playing games with mods (gtav, skyrim, ect).
I will need a copy of windows and have to get a kb/m for some comfy couch gaming, but I am not factoring those purchases into the price.

chrislowe

I was thinking around $1500ish(CAD) and I play just about everything. I am really looking forward start playing games with mods (gtav, skyrim, ect).
I will need a copy of windows and have to get a kb/m for some comfy couch gaming, but I am not factoring those purchases into the price.

For that kind of money you get a i7 7700k with Z270 motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000MHz memory, and a GTX1080, aswell a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD + case and psu if you search around a little.

So way overkill budget if you only wanted 1080P gaming in the couch as you said earlier :)

Kito

For that kind of money you get a i7 7700k with Z270 motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000MHz memory, and a GTX1080, aswell a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD + case and psu if you search around a little.

1500CAD not 1500USD. Those components would set him back 2000CAD.

Bloodember

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.00 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1416.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-15 12:55 EST-0500

This is CAD. If you can push your budget to $1600 you can get a 1070.

Then get your Windows Key from here it's $25, not sure what that would be in CAD though.

Going today to build a new PC. I'll be playing at 1080p.

Already decided on a RX470 due to a crazy deal at Microcenter.

I can't decide on a CPU though. I've looked at benchmarks and the difference between a i3 6100 and a i5 6500/6600k isn't that big. But its a difference of $100 between the cpu and motherboard.

Is it worth the extra $100? I'm not going to be playing anything super extensive. I would like to use dolphin and emulate some of the gamecube and wii games I missed.

If not I'm gonna use that $100 towards a new desk.

I am thinking of getting a mini ITX case and motherboard to carry around my PC instead of paying another 2000$. The NZXT Manta looks tempting, but it is large compared to the Bitfenix cases.

Any suggestions for the case? I am worried about transporting the PC in my car every week. I might also reinstall the old motherboard+case when I don't have to travel.

Anybody have thoughts on this monitor? I was looking to get a new monitor and this one seems like a good deal with the Visa checkout offer going on.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2...=8544005&productCategoryId=pcmcat200900050014

I am thinking of getting a mini ITX case and motherboard to carry around my PC instead of paying another 2000$. The NZXT Manta looks tempting, but it is large compared to the Bitfenix cases.

Any suggestions for the case? I am worried about transporting the PC in my car every week. I might also reinstall the old motherboard+case when I don't have to travel.
If you like the style of the case than there isn't much to say, but personally I think it is a terrible "ITX" case. It weighs nearly 16lbs which means it is heavier than some ATX cases like the S340 and it is overall a huge bulging case. I honestly do not think it would be very fun carting that thing around place to place.

Anybody have thoughts on this monitor? I was looking to get a new monitor and this one seems like a good deal with the Visa checkout offer going on.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2...=8544005&productCategoryId=pcmcat200900050014

If you like the style of the case than there isn't much to say, but personally I think it is a terrible "ITX" case. It weighs nearly 16lbs which means it is heavier than some ATX cases like the S340 and it is overall a huge bulging case. I honestly do not think it would be very fun carting that thing around place to place.

Yeah the Manta is a large case. The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case looks ideal. The Bitfenix looks nice, but there is something wrong with compatibility (probably PSU compatibility).

Now I have to decide on a damn monitor. I do want 2k and G-sync, but I will probably stick with a cheaper model--2k isn't always ideal for me because of performance. Ironically, there is a 2k G-sync monitor next room that isn't mine.
Yeah I will use it from time to time when the owner isn't around.

Bloodember

Yeah the Manta is a large case. The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case looks ideal. The Bitfenix looks nice, but there is something wrong with compatibility (probably PSU compatibility).

Now I have to decide on a damn monitor. I do want 2k and G-sync, but I will probably stick with a cheaper model--2k isn't always ideal for me because of performance. Ironically, there is a 2k G-sync monitor next room that isn't mine.
Yeah I will use it from time to time when the owner isn't around.

The Manta is practically the same size as the Enthoo Evolv ITX, I have both of them. For me the Manta is a nicer case, but you won't go wrong with either of them.

rrs

I'm unable to select Windows 10 Pro in the Media Creation Tool - will that key work if I just select Windows 10 instead?
yeah, the OS comes with every version's features inside (except maybe enterprise but that's another story)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Corsair Air 240? I've been looking around for small form-factor cases and it looks like a nice one.

So I need to make sure I get an "active" adapter? I have a bunch of hdmi cables, all labeled high speed, and all with varying degrees of success when it comes to my ps3, ps4 and 4k bluray player lol (despite all being the same cable). I'll try those first before getting a new cable
I'm using the same one to connect my 290x in my HTPC/couch gaming rig.

Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD (CAC-1070) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BQ8I54/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any cat2 HDMI cable will work for HDMI 2.0. The only thing that changed between HDMI1.4 high speed (cat2) and HDMI 2.0 cables were the packaging. The cables are exactly the same.

Also, Displayport can push an HDMI 2.0 signal if it detects an HDMI 2.0 receiver on the other end.

SickBoy

Just finished the majority of my build yesterday... held off on the video card because I wanted to do a bit more research on which specific model of card I wanted (almost certainly going to be 1060 6GB... but which manufacturer? Which model? So looking into prices and user reviews).

All went fairly well. Had some fun with the pre-installed standoffs in my case (didn't realize the screw-looking thing NZXT included with the case was a removal tool -- thought there was only one user-installable standoff) and after installing the board, working on it for a bit and thinking "wow, I'm not comfortable with how much this could probably flex," I did my research and eventually realized I was screwing up. Needless to say, though, today's cases (or at least the S340) are much better than the typical case I worked with last time I built a PC (more than a decade ago), as is the general process of connecting everything (also, that case makes you look like a cable management genius, even though it's really a mess behind the shroud thingy). The only other thing that tripped me up was attaching my SSD. Every SATA drive I've installed (ever) has had an all-in-one connector, so I was wondering what was wrong when the drive wasn't working. Of course there are two connectors, but it stupidly took me a few minutes to realize I wasn't giving the drive any power.

Frustration: As someone who has only dealt with Windows as a troubleshooter for relatives' store-bought systems for a looong time (my last personal system ran XP), I'm not particularly enjoying some of the driver/software fun I'm experiencing right now.

YouTube videos will not play on any browser, hardware acceleration checked or no. I ran Portal 2 because I was curious how it would look and run on the new Kaby Lake integrated graphics.... it closed to a black screen and I had to reset. No audio, at present, to the HDMI port (there was before -- might have to do with the RealTek drivers I installed from MSI's driver disc). Running the updater for the motherboard and its related drivers right now... hoping that fixes things. Also, MSI wants to install a shitload of software on your machine. There were a few things I thought would be interesting (i.e: CPU-Z) and some of their utilities... but wow.

LilJoka

Just finished the majority of my build yesterday... held off on the video card because I wanted to do a bit more research on which specific model of card I wanted (almost certainly going to be 1060 6GB... but which manufacturer? Which model? So looking into prices and user reviews).

All went fairly well. Had some fun with the pre-installed standoffs in my case (didn't realize the screw-looking thing NZXT included with the case was a removal tool -- thought there was only one user-installable standoff) and after installing the board, working on it for a bit and thinking "wow, I'm not comfortable with how much this could probably flex," I did my research and eventually realized I was screwing up. Needless to say, though, today's cases (or at least the S340) are much better than the typical case I worked with last time I built a PC (more than a decade ago), as is the general process of connecting everything (also, that case makes you look like a cable management genius, even though it's really a mess behind the shroud thingy). The only other thing that tripped me up was attaching my SSD. Every SATA drive I've installed (ever) has had an all-in-one connector, so I was wondering what was wrong when the drive wasn't working. Of course there are two connectors, but it stupidly took me a few minutes to realize I wasn't giving the drive any power.

Frustration: As someone who has only dealt with Windows as a troubleshooter for relatives' store-bought systems for a looong time (my last personal system ran XP), I'm not particularly enjoying some of the driver/software fun I'm experiencing right now.

YouTube videos will not play on any browser, hardware acceleration checked or no. I ran Portal 2 because I was curious how it would look and run on the new Kaby Lake integrated graphics.... it closed to a black screen and I had to reset. No audio, at present, to the HDMI port (there was before -- might have to do with the RealTek drivers I installed from MSI's driver disc). Running the updater for the motherboard and its related drivers right now... hoping that fixes things. Also, MSI wants to install a shitload of software on your machine. There were a few things I thought would be interesting (i.e: CPU-Z) and some of their utilities... but wow.

Never use a cd to install drivers.
Get the latest drives from the manufacturers web page.
The only software required is:
Chipset driver
Management engine
Lan
Wifi/Bluetooth if your board has it
Non Intel USB 3
GPU driver

Do not install the junk from the cd! Especially do not install ALL of it.
Do not trust auto-updater. Whatever the hell that even is.

You do not need Realtek audio driver.
You do not need Intel SATA/RAID driver unless you are running RAID.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.00 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1416.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-15 12:55 EST-0500

This is CAD. If you can push your budget to $1600 you can get a 1070.

Then get your Windows Key from here it's $25, not sure what that would be in CAD though.

Thanks for this, I originally had an i7 in the system I put together and that's what got me thinking I might be building something way overpowered for my usage. I don't mind having something powerful, but I don't want to put the money out for gains I'll never see by gaming on my tv.
Thanks again, I really have no idea what I should look for lol.

Just picked up some new parts from Microcenter and I still need to pick up ram, but am unsure of which way to go: speed or quantity.

Re-using:
2x GTX 980 4gb sli
Fractal Design R5 case
Corsair H110i cooler
DVD-Drive
3xHDD (1tb, 4tb,4tb)
2xSSD (256gb, 1tb)
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 power supply

New parts so far:
i7 7700k (329.99)
Asus Maximus IX Code (269.99)
Samsung 960 EVO 500gb M.2 (249.99)

I will be looking to OC the processor. Can't say I have any specific need for 32gb of ram (mostly gaming), but it does fit into my budget (200-250).

What I'm looking at:
214.99 2x16gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 [Cas: 16] [16-18-18-38]
219.99 2x8gb Corsair Dominator DDR4 3733 [Cas: 17] [17-19-19-39]
249.99 2x8gb G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4000 [Cas: 18] [18-19-19-39]
194.99 2x8gb G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4000 [Cas: 19] [19-21-21-41]

Mostly I understand computer stuff, but ram in particular escapes me. Any help would be appreciated.

SickBoy

Never use a cd to install drivers.
Get the latest drives from the manufacturers web page.
The only software required is:
Chipset driver
Management engine
Lan
Wifi/Bluetooth if your board has it
Non Intel USB 3
GPU driver

Do not install the junk from the cd! Especially do not install ALL of it.
Do not trust auto-updater. Whatever the hell that even is.

You do not need Realtek audio driver.
You do not need Intel SATA/RAID driver unless you are running RAID.

Yeah, MSI has an updater for its drivers and other software. I might just reinstall Windows and get a fresh start, although I'd rather not let Windows redownload all its various cumulative updates and what not.

(And I definitely didn't install all the software from the CD, FWIW)

Still, I don't know the genesis of these little issues, so that might be the easiest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom