• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me if this is a good price for a good monitor?

I'm always hearing things about contrast... and that curved monitors are bad. But 699 for 34 inches high rez seems good to me.

Anyone know the best resource to learn about overclocking a CPU, preferably a video? I finally got my Evo 212 fan installed and I want to overclock my 4690k.

Hi thanks and all others,

Is this because of the motherboard? So I should go for a different motherboard with the right socket and that can hold DDR3?

Maybe it would be easier if you filled out the survey from the OP and we could make specific suggestions. I'm not sure about european prices much, but any reason you weren't considering the i7-7700(k)?

For skylake and kaby lake you want DDR4 ram. Technically some old boards will support DDR3L but there's no point in buying one of those.

Kito

To my own surprise I prefer Apple desktop keyboards, or anything with low profile keys. A mechanical one (Razer BlackWidow) that I tried was obnoxiously loud and I couldn't type as fast. Felt like a typewriter. I'm surprised they're targeted at gamers.

finalflame

To my own surprise I prefer Apple desktop keyboards, or anything with low profile keys. A mechanical one (Razer BlackWidow) that I tried was obnoxiously loud and I couldn't type as fast. Felt like a typewriter. I'm surprised they're targeted at gamers.

Depends on the switch. Mechanical keyboards are not one size fits all. There are multiple lower weight/higher actuation/faster action switches out there, usually marketed towards gamers as well. Also people vary on what they like -- I use MX Greens for gaming which are about as heavy a switch as you can reasonably get out of the box, and I love it.

The clicky blue/green/white switches are no good for gaming, I cannot live without my blues as a programmer though.
You should go with topres or linear switches (reds).

Seronei

I've been looking at getting a new case for my PC and hopefully keeping it for future builds as well. I want one where I can fit a AIO liquid cooler in the top,a 5,25 for my blu-ray drive and it needs room for a Hyper 212 Evo. Don't care about windows, I'd prefer quieter over RGB and windows. Budget is max ~$100. I'm hoping can reuse it for a Ryzen/Kaby Lake build later this year.

The 2 cases I've found that seem the best so far is Zalman Z9 Neo and Thermaltake Core V41. Has anyone here experience with any of these cases or maybe with some other case that fits my criteria? I'm open for any and all suggestions, thanks.

LegendX48

Got a quick question along with a semi-long story. My little brother does a lot of video editing on his computer, which has an AMD phenom II quad core cpu at somewhere around 2ghz and 4gb of ram, and I've got an old AM3+ mobo that's no longer in use. Would it be worth it to throw an FX-8350 in there and/or would that bottleneck a Radeon HD 7950?

I've been looking at getting a new case for my PC and hopefully keeping it for future builds as well. I want one where I can fit a AIO liquid cooler in the top,a 5,25 for my blu-ray drive and it needs room for a Hyper 212 Evo. Don't care about windows, I'd prefer quieter over RGB and windows. Budget is max ~$100. I'm hoping can reuse it for a Ryzen/Kaby Lake build later this year.

The 2 cases I've found that seem the best so far is Zalman Z9 Neo and Thermaltake Core V41. Has anyone here experience with any of these cases or maybe with some other case that fits my criteria? I'm open for any and all suggestions, thanks.

Fractal Design Define R5

made to be quiet (has thick sound absorbing material on the sides and top vent covers)
can hold many different water cooler set-ups
has 2 drive bays
will fit the 212 EVO with no issues
they have windowed and non-windowed versions
usually around $90-$100 (give or take a few dollars)...can catch sales for a lower price

StoneFox

I've built several computers using both those cases. The Zalman is rather annoying with its dedicated SSD slots, the holes simply aren't big enough for the cables unless you put in the SSD upside down, which depending on your tastes on whether that is tolerable or not. The thermaltake is rather easy to build in, but the zalman has more space for cable management and looks nicer because the cables hide under a plastic casing. You will need to remove the fans to make space for the cooler in either case, but the main difference in the two is that the zalman has that PSU cover which can be a bitch to build around if you do not have a modular PSU, while the thermaltake does not have this cover. Both are about the same loudness level.

cwistofu

Guh. Just got my Dell S2716DG in the mail...and it's got a dead pixel.

I ordered it through Best Buy, am I better off getting a replacement through them or should I contact Dell directly?

Guh. Just got my Dell S2716DG in the mail...and it's got a dead pixel.

I ordered it through Best Buy, am I better off getting a replacement through them or should I contact Dell directly?

BB for sure. Especially because you can just drop it off at a local store, presumably.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If you were trying to get a rare / hard to find computer part like a Samsung 960 Pro, would you feel comfortable buying from a 3rd party seller on Amazon with high feedback or only directly from amazon?

longdi

Banned
If you were trying to get a rare / hard to find computer part like a Samsung 960 Pro, would you feel comfortable buying from a 3rd party seller on Amazon with high feedback or only directly from amazon?

Only Amazon.
But i will probably wait for more stocks and for it come down in prices.
SSD getting cheaper and it is not like you can feel the difference between 960Pro and a lower end but larger and cheaper sata3/Nvme drives.

MetalDeer

If it's not way overpriced, then sure. I've never had an issue with getting a refund from third party sellers for items I've had to return for whatever reason. You can get a refund directly from Amazon if the seller happens to be uncooperative, as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They've all really marked up the price, plus I'd rather deal directly with amazon anyway. (or newegg since they don't charge me tax, but they don't take preorders - only orders for stuff in stock)
I've just placed 2 separate orders for both a 1tb and a 512gb (and overnight shipping), so whichever one ships first I'll just cancel the other.
Now to continue waiting while my pc sits there unused...

Zel3

Finally finished my first water cooled build, posted on the first try. :D

Going from a X58 build to X99 has been mind blowing, I was previously using a GTX 470 that would reach 95c while playing TF2, now I idle at 24c and reach 33c under load. :O

4uDBC8I.jpg

Now the fun part that is cable management begins.

dcx4610

How noticable is the difference between 1440p GSync IPS vs 1440p GSync TN?

Noticeable but not mind blowing. Better and brighter colors on IPS and better contrast but at the expensive of IPS glow and light bleed.

I love my IPS but a good and properly calibrated TN panel can look close.

Seronei

Fractal Design Define R5

made to be quiet (has thick sound absorbing material on the sides and top vent covers)
can hold many different water cooler set-ups
has 2 drive bays
will fit the 212 EVO with no issues
they have windowed and non-windowed versions
usually around $90-$100 (give or take a few dollars)...can catch sales for a lower price

Thanks for the answer. I really want that case but it's slightly above what I feel I want to spend. Love it though. It's unfortunately considerably more expensive than that in Europe from what I can see. Cheapest in Europe is about 110€ from what I can see, and it feels like a bad deal compared to the other alternatives.

I've built several computers using both those cases. The Zalman is rather annoying with its dedicated SSD slots, the holes simply aren't big enough for the cables unless you put in the SSD upside down, which depending on your tastes on whether that is tolerable or not. The thermaltake is rather easy to build in, but the zalman has more space for cable management and looks nicer because the cables hide under a plastic casing. You will need to remove the fans to make space for the cooler in either case, but the main difference in the two is that the zalman has that PSU cover which can be a bitch to build around if you do not have a modular PSU, while the thermaltake does not have this cover. Both are about the same loudness level.

Thanks for all this info, nice to hear from someone who has used both. Overall which do you prefer? Worth paying 10€ more for the Thermaltake Core V41? I have a semi-modular PSU so shouldn't be an issue.

Ludono

Deciding on a new monitor, wondering if it's worth buying a 24" with G-Sync over a 27" without. The rest of the specs are pretty much equal. (1440p, 144+ hz, TN Panels)

How badly do you need those extra 3 inches ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Depending on your usage, will you be playing a lot of games that would benefit from G-sync or wil you be doing more that would benefit from a larger screen.

Enlil

Maybe it would be easier if you filled out the survey from the OP and we could make specific suggestions. I'm not sure about european prices much, but any reason you weren't considering the i7-7700(k)?

For skylake and kaby lake you want DDR4 ram. Technically some old boards will support DDR3L but there's no point in buying one of those.

thanks, didn't do any proper research, cause Iam really busy. I really appreciatie your help. Didnt know 7th generation is out. I will definitely go for that one. +change the motherboard + I will add DDR4 and will go for a power supply 600+wat.

thanks

Virzeth

It appears my Sabertooth Z77 has finally entered the golden halls of Asgaard, matte and black, and so I come to you asking... Is there such a thing as a decent ATX LGA1151 DDR3 motherboard?
Haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for it (LGA1155 was a mistake), so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and dish out 500€+ on a CPU&mobo, but if at all possible I'd like to at least avoid spending an additional 150€ on RAM.

I'm from Italy, btw, where the 6700k I'm looking at will run me a nice and round 350€.

that CPU would only accept DDR4 memory AFAIK

Edit: browsing from an hellishly slow iPad 3, just noticed the post above, guess that answers my question. ._."

Gandie

Thanks for the answer. I really want that case but it's slightly above what I feel I want to spend. Love it though. It's unfortunately considerably more expensive than that in Europe from what I can see. Cheapest in Europe is about 110€ from what I can see, and it feels like a bad deal compared to the other alternatives.

Thanks for all this info, nice to hear from someone who has used both. Overall which do you prefer? Worth paying 10€ more for the Thermaltake Core V41? I have a semi-modular PSU so shouldn't be an issue.

I can recommend the Fractal Design Define S, which is a bit more affordable and is very similar to the R5.

No drive bay though, sorry, misread your original post.

Enlil

Is it worth it getting an AMD graphics card? youtube is full of conflicting reports on power usage, fps drops, value, fan noise. the gtx 1080 is just to expensive, but If I can get a card from AMD thats between 1070 and 1080 I think its worth the price.

(another thing, their website is so bad, I just can't figure out what their latest graphics card series are)

It appears my Sabertooth Z77 has finally entered the golden halls of Asgaard, matte and black, and so I come to you asking... Is there such a thing as a decent ATX LGA1151 DDR3 motherboard?
Haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for it (LGA1155 was a mistake), so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and dish out 500€+ on a CPU&mobo, but if at all possible I'd like to at least avoid spending an additional 150€ on RAM.

I'm from Italy, btw, where the 6700k I'm looking at will run me a nice and round 350€.

Edit: browsing from an hellishly slow iPad 3, just noticed the post above, guess that answers my question. ._."

Yeah unfortunately for you, LGA 1151 is built to be compatible to with DDR4. If you want to balance the spend a little better, you could get an i5-7600k, a very good CPU in its own right. The sheer price gap should help give you the room in which to grab at least one or two sticks of DDR4.

Is it worth it getting an AMD graphics card? youtube is full of conflicting reports on power usage, fps drops, value, fan noise. the gtx 1080 is just to expensive, but If I can get a card from AMD thats between 1070 and 1080 I think its worth the price.

(another thing, their website is so bad, I just can't figure out what their latest graphics card series are)

AMD doesn't really have a 1070-1080 competitor out yet - with the Pro Duo above them in both performance and price - though they should do... soon-ish? The release date on Vega GPUs hasn't been revealed yet, and the best, sorta mainstream card AMD have out right now is the RX 480, which is more of a GTX 1060 competitor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jesus. After a few weeks without my PC and hours trying to fix the damn MBR, I look to have resolved it. I was trying all the bootrec commands but kept getting 'element not found' errors. In the end I had to select and assign as active the drive partition using diskpart from a command prompt, which then allowed me to fix the MBR and boot up.

Looks to have happened in the middle of a windows update as when it finally booted up it has to finish off configuring the update. Bloody windows. Still, a relief not to have to reinstall windows - all my files are backend up in various places, it's more the time taken to get everything sorted and especially steam back to how it was.

Am now making a system image, although I did just notice I had that scheduled to happen once a week to another of my internal drives, so I could have restored before now.

How badly do you need those extra 3 inches ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Depending on your usage, will you be playing a lot of games that would benefit from G-sync or wil you be doing more that would benefit from a larger screen.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It'll mostly be used for gaming and watching series, I'm not really sure what kinds of games benefit more from G-sync though.

Dave_6

Finally finished my first water cooled build, posted on the first try. :D

Going from a X58 build to X99 has been mind blowing, I was previously using a GTX 470 that would reach 95c while playing TF2, now I idle at 24c and reach 33c under load. :O

Now the fun part that is cable management begins.

Amazing looking build! Is that the Xforma case? Also, which motherboard is that?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

their newest cards are the RX 460/470/480. these are mostly low/mid range cards. they don't have anything competing with a 1070 or higher. that's what VEGA is for i imagine. the 480 i think is similar to a 1060. i was looking at it but it would be more of a side step to an upgrade from my old R9 290. i ended up getting a 1070. the difference is huge.

i liked my 290 but it was really loud and HOT. fans were spinning constantly no matter what and would hit 90-95C. i do think the polaris cards don't spin their fans until a certain temp, like the GTX 900/1000 series of cards,is reached but i can't speak about temperatures.

i would only look at AMD if it is considerably cheaper and you are looking for a low/mid range card. if not then wait for VEGA. we should get RX 490/490X and more soon i think. if you really want the best performance then nvidia is the only choice right now.

anybody else order a "Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD" in early January, which has been put on back-order? Why the heck are we all waiting, why are they out of stock everywhere? When will they be in stock again...

AbaFadi

Banned
My friend is looking to build a pc. He will mainly be playing overwatch on it. I don't really know too much about building a pc but after some research this was the best budget pc I could put together that shouldn't need to be upgraded anytime soon.

The goal here is 1080p 60+fps on low settings. If it could reach 144 fps for an eventual 144Hz monitor upgrade that would be nice as well. Should the ram be upgraded to 16gb or is it not worth it?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bg78zM

The parts will be purchased at amazon since he has a gift card there. The shipping doesn't actually cost that much. $700 is around the budget used for this build

Zel3

anybody else order a "Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD" in early January, which has been put on back-order? Why the heck are we all waiting, why are they out of stock everywhere? When will they be in stock again...
I ordered mine on the 9th and got it in 2 days. Are they sold out?

Seronei

My friend is looking to build a pc. He will mainly be playing overwatch on it. I don't really know too much about building a pc but after some research this was the best budget pc I could put together that shouldn't need to be upgraded anytime soon.

The goal here is 1080p 60+fps on low settings. If it could reach 144 fps for an eventual 144Hz monitor upgrade that would be nice as well. Should the ram be upgraded to 16gb or is it not worth it?

The parts will be purchased at amazon since he has a gift card there. The shipping doesn't actually cost that much. $700 is around the budget used for this build

8GB ram is fine for the most part, I'd upgrade the GPU to a RX470/1060 3gb if anything. The difference between 1050ti and the next step up is massive. Getting a 6500 and a RX470/470 or a GTX1060 will have significantly better performance than a 1050ti.

If the aim is low settings at 60 FPS, you could probably change that to an i3-7100 (with a newer motherboard), or an i5-6500 (with the current motherboard you've picked). The 6600k is more for high and ultra settings, especially on CPU intensive games, and would be poorly paired with that motherboard - the K in the name signifies overclocking. Hell, the GPU would be something of a bottleneck, so the money saved by going with a cheaper CPU could be put towards a better GPU, like the GTX 1060. Hell, with that pairing he'd be able to achieve high settings on a lot of stuff, and have some longevity to the build.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I mean air cooling exclusively, for people who don't care about liquid cooling.

all cases are built for air cooling. if you wanted to do water cooling you'd look for a case that has enough room for an AIO radiator and/or reservoir. for example i have a fractal design define s and i'm only on air but it has plenty of room for radiators/reservoirs and whatever else you need for water cooling.

AbaFadi

Banned
If the aim is low settings at 60 FPS, you could probably change that to an i3-7100 (with a newer motherboard), or an i5-6500 (with the current motherboard you've picked). The 6600k is more for high and ultra settings, especially on CPU intensive games, and would be poorly paired with that motherboard - the K in the name signifies overclocking. Hell, the GPU would be something of a bottleneck, so the money saved by going with a cheaper CPU could be put towards a better GPU, like the GTX 1060. Hell, with that pairing he'd be able to achieve high settings on a lot of stuff, and have some longevity to the build.

Would it be better to go with an i5-6500, GTX 1060, and a better motherboard then?

all cases are built for air cooling. if you wanted to do water cooling you'd look for a case that has enough room for an AIO radiator and/or reservoir. for example i have a fractal design define s and i'm only on air but it has plenty of room for radiators/reservoirs and whatever else you need for water cooling.

Right, but it seems like every case is designed to support radiators and such as well. I'm just curious if something that supported air cooling only would be advantageous in any way, like maybe a smaller form factor or lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom