• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Just ordered all parts for an all new build.

Coming from a 3570k/HD7950 to.... a g4560 with an RX480 until Ryzen and Vega hit and I re-evaluate the CPU/GPU landscape.

Case: Prodigy M
Power Supply: Seasonic G series 550w
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
Board: Gigabyte B250

I coulda waited but the itch to build something all new got me. And I really wanted to test the performance of the g4560 for myself. I basically bought a budget board and CPU with modern chipsets to use DDR4 and all the new pieces on until the new major pieces drop in a few months.

Ill eventually use the G4560 and budget board for either a hackintosh build if compatible, or TV gaming box

Vipu

Banned
Just leave it at 100% and adapt. Depending on where you're coming from yes it's smaller, but not significantly so compared to a 24" 1080p monitor (109 vs 92 DPI)

Does anyone have a Dell S2716DG? I don't know when I'll be buying a new monitor but I'm having a terrible time deciding what I want. My current monitor is IPS so I'd be worried about a downgrade to TN with inferior viewing angles and colors, but not having any IPS glow/backlight bleed may be worth it if the viewing angles are sufficient enough. It's also significantly cheaper than the IPS G-Sync options would be.

I would never go back to TN in this year and age.
Its just horrible, I have very old IPS and its massively better than my 144hz TN in everything else than smoothness.

I wasn't advocating the purchase of an FE, simply stating that purchasing the FTW for some magical overclocking headroom over the FE isn't wise. I did not share your FE experience and gained nothing moving to the FTW other than a bit less noise and dual BIOS.

In the past FTW opened up the ability to push extra power to yhe card but it doesn't seem to matter with 1080.

I think it's probably because of nvidia neutering their cards by not really allowing meaningful voltage increase with their bios. Dual bios comes in handy in that regard

LilJoka

FE cards are cherry picked. They have better silicon so they can do pretty well with the crap cooler. These will overclock the best underwater.

The non reference cards use lesser quality silicon and don't overclock as far under water.
But the cooling allows them to match the FEs on air, or thereabouts.

And since we don't have voltage control we can't get the non ref cards to shine.

TBiddy

Hello!

My soon-to-be (in 12 days!) 6 year old Crucial C300 64 GB SSD is getting too small for my needs, and I'm tired of the constant cleaning, moving and the general hassle of having such a small SSD.

I'm on the lookout for a ~250GB SSD. Is it still the Samsung Evo 850 that is the best pick of the bunch? The Crucial MX300 is 275GB and a bit cheaper and the Kingston UV400 240GB is even cheaper still. But the price differences are within 10$, so it's not that much of a concern. What about that SK hynix SL308?

I don't think I'll be moving to 500GB, since that's quite a costly jump, after all.

I would never go back to TN in this year and age.
Its just horrible, I have very old IPS and its massively better than my 144hz TN in everything else than smoothness.
Every type of panel has positives and negatives, and even then there's great TN panels and terrible IPS ones where those general panel differences barely apply.

Long story short: don't generalise.

Lom1lo

So I have a problem, currently Im running a Silverstone RVZ01 case. I bought the MSI RX 480 Gaming and it doesnt fit -.- . Is there any good mini itx case, that can fit this card ? I would by the RVZ02, but I dont find any reports if someone uses this card in this case.

enewtabie

So I have a problem, currently Im running a Silverstone RVZ01 case. I bought the MSI RX 480 Gaming and it doesnt fit -.- . Is there any good mini itx case, that can fit this card ? I would by the RVZ02, but I dont find any reports if someone uses this card in this case.

Fractal Design 500 and Nano S will work.

LilJoka

Here's a fun one: I just purchased a second GTX 1070 to go with my LG B6, and I get pretty much perfect 100% performance scaling up to 1440P but above that it's maybe 10-20%. Is it really that bad with the non-pro SLI bridge? Haven't been able to find much data with newer titles regarding this. Got one coming but it's a week off.

For example Watch Dogs 2 runs like 70-80FPS maxed at 1440P but gives dodgy mid 20s at 4K. Which is WTF worthy, would expect just under 60. And no setting change fixes it.

At 4K it matters. There must be some active components in their bridge.

Lom1lo

Fractal Design 500 and Nano S will work.

Thanks, are they better than Thermaltake Suppressor F1 ? I fear that the gpu or cpu will overheat.

If important here are my other components:

500 Watt Silverstone Strider Gold Series Modular 80+ Gold
ASRock B85m-ITX Intel B85 So.1150
Cooltek LP53 Topblow Kühler
Intel Core i5 4460 4x 3.20GHz So.1150
Crucial 16GB Ballistix Tactical

Bloodember

Your case can hold graphics cards up to 13", the RX480 is shorter than 13". It should fit just fine.

Your case can hold graphics cards up to 13", the RX480 is shorter than 13". It should fit just fine.

Could be a height issue. In which case...

Feel you could take a picture of where/how exactly the card gets caught?

Lom1lo

Yep its a height issue, it doesnt fit. Cant take any pictures, because I put my old card in it.
I'll buy a new case, but I dont know whats the best (for heat and so on). I like the looks of the fractal nano s, but I wonder if its the best out of the three already mentioned cases for my parts.

enewtabie

Yep its a height issue, it doesnt fit. Cant take any pictures, because I put my old card in it.
I'll buy a new case, but I dont know whats the best (for heat and so on). I like the looks of the fractal nano s, but I wonder if its the best out of the three already mentioned cases for my parts.

PSU is usually the main issue in that case. SFF will give more GPU clearance. I have one sitting on my front porch right now. If you want some pics or something,let me know.I'm gonna do a video on it as well tonight if I get a chance.

Lom1lo

PSU is usually the main issue in that case. SFF will give more GPU clearance. I have one sitting on my front porch right now. If you want some pics or something,let me know.I'm gonna do a video on it as well tonight if I get a chance.

That would be cool !

My PSU is a SFX-L.
My motherboard has only one port for fans, I currently use a y-cable to connect two fans. Would this be enough to stay cool in the nano s ? I read its recommended to install a third fan on the bottom.
Sorry if this are stupid questions but this whole thing is a bit difficult for me and I dont want that my system throttles because of the temp.

enewtabie

That would be cool !

My PSU is a SFX-L.
My motherboard has only one port for fans, I currently use a y-cable to connect two fans. Would this be enough to stay cool in the nano s ? I read its recommended to install a third fan on the bottom.
Sorry if this are stupid questions but this whole thing is a bit difficult for me and I dont want that my system throttles because of the temp.

You can always buy a fan header adapter and add more if you need more fans. I think it would be fine. You could always go with a bigger boxier itx case like a Corsair 240 as well.

Gandie

So finishing my PC didn't satisfy my need to build, so today I ordered some Bitfenix sleeved cables in white. So excited how they will look in my case.
I only ordered the cables that are clearly visible from the outside (24atx, 8pin PCIe, USB header and Sata data cable).

Will share the results later this week.

mK87gOF.png

Here's what I ordered

Lom1lo

You can always buy a fan header adapter and add more if you need more fans. I think it would be fine. You could always go with a bigger boxier itx case like a Corsair 240 as well.

Okay thanks. I'll try the nano s, its the max size for me and looks great.
If I stay with two fans, whats better: rear outtake and front intake or rear outtake and bottom intake ?

I think Im going with two intake (front and bottom) and one outtake (rear) because I have a silverstone fn123 laying around. I hope this is good

catmincer

Currently have an R7 360 2GB and looking to upgrade to either an RX470 or RX480. Anything special i'll need for either of these? My PSU is 550w so should be fine.

iavi

Currently have an R7 360 2GB and looking to upgrade to either an RX470 or RX480. Anything special i'll need for either of these? My PSU is 550w so should be fine.

Nothing special at all

Most 550w PSUs should have the connections to account for either pin requirment

Bloodember

You can also look at the NZXT Manta and the phanteks evolv itx for great itx cases.

enewtabie

Okay thanks. I'll try the nano s, its the max size for me and looks great.
If I stay with two fans, whats better: rear outtake and front intake or rear outtake and bottom intake ?

I think Im going with two intake (front and bottom) and one outtake (rear) because I have a silverstone fn123 laying around. I hope this is good

Sounds good. The 500 is a good choice too if you ever want to go really compact.

So I installed my Noctua NH-D14 and the temps are great but when I first booted windows crashed and I could no longer boot into windows no matter what. What I believe happened was a bad driver installed when I reconnected all my USB devices to different usb ports. Before it blue screened I could hear the device connect/disconnect sounds going constantly. No repair options worked except reinstalling windows. Good grief. Was not expecting to have to do that today.

Sweet, I checked the manual and it does.

Yup, all good.

Seocnd question, is it even worth it with a crappy APU? (7650k)? Or should I just get a whole new PC.

That... would pretty noticeably bottleneck it, yes. Either wait for Ryzen, or you could pick up some the pieces for a budget Kabylake build.

Mystic654

Sounds good. The 500 is a good choice too if you ever want to go really compact.

I would return those TT Fans as fast as you can. Specially if those are the software controlled ones. Software does not work correctly, It has horrible time detecting the fans. I have some of them and they refuse to work correctly.

TT just ignores you when you start to complain about their product. Their entire forum is filled with people having problems with their fans and zero replies from TT.

enewtabie

I would return those TT Fans as fast as you can. Specially if those are the software controlled ones. Software does not work correctly, It has horrible time detecting the fans. I have some of them and they refuse to work correctly.

TT just ignores you when you start to complain about their product. Their entire forum is filled with people having problems with their fans and zero replies from TT.

Yeah I know. Right as they release a new one.

FLAguy954

Just installed some more fans into my setup. How is my airflow set up do you think?

Wanted to make sure I've set it up properlly

Nice setup. I have my fans in a similar config except I have 2 front intake fans, one bottom intake fan, and 1 top and 1 rear exhaust fans.

Jamaro85

Edit #2: I came across the topic of undervolting a few times last night but it never occurred to me that it might actually help, as I thought it would cause my card to perform even worse. Yet all of these discussions talk about how undervolting can increase the performance of the card. Sure enough, undervolting is allowing the temperatures to come WAY down, while keeping a power level increase of 40%% is keep the card running steady at 1300 MHz.

Bottom line is the card is staying more in the 115W range now while keeping stable 1300 MHz and staying around 70C at load. The card went from looking like a dud to a stud, just like that. /edit

So my RX 480 (ASUS Dual OC Edition) isn't getting anywhere close to the stock clock speed of 1300 MHz when under load. It will hit that in game menus but run closer to 1125 MHz in games/benchmarks. I've read of this being the case for many others with 480s as well, and found out that it is necessary to raise the Power Limit %.

The card will hold steady at 1300 MHz with a power limit increase of 35%, but at that point the card gets way too hot, hitting 90C before the end of a Unigine or Sleeping Dogs benchmark test.

At default settings the card will pull a max of 100W; with the 35% power limit increase it pulls a max of 135W as expected. Strangely, early in my testing I was able to get the card to hold 1300 MHz with a ~120W pull, but now it needs to be closer to 130W.

In any case, I am a bit disappointed with the card not running at the advertised speed out of the box, and with it seeming to be unable to do so at all due to the required power draw causing the card to overheat. The fan is a non factor here as I've tested it in all kinds of speed/temp configurations and it hasn't had much effect. I've done all my testing in WattMan, but I repeated some of the tests in AfterBurner just to see if anything would be different (it wasn't).

I actually just came across this NewEgg review that indicates that it is inherently a problem with this specific card:

The cooling mechanism is terrible when compared to my MSI RX 480 Gaming 4GB (been thinking about applying better thermal compound but that would probably void the warranty). The heat pipes are all aluminum, instead of copper, and their very few of them compared to the MSI. It operates at about 25 degrees Celsius warmer than the MSI at the same load. It also draws on the order of about 20 more watts than the MSI to achieve the same clock speeds and memory speeds. The fan speeds are running at near maximum just to try and keep this thing from melting down during some graphic intensive areas in World of Warcraft. It frequently approaches 90 degrees Celsius at full leaf-blower fan speeds. Frankly, I'm a disappointed in ASUS for allowing their name to be put on a product that is inferior to just about all the other brands.

Hopefully MicroCenter will give a full refund, and thankfully they have the MSI in stock.

Edit: Reading plenty of complaints on the MSI cards that give me pause as well. Not even sure what direction to go now.

So my RX 480 (ASUS Dual OC Edition) isn't getting anywhere close to the stock clock speed of 1300 MHz when under load. It will hit that in game menus but run closer to 1125 MHz in games/benchmarks. I've read of this being the case for many others with 480s as well, and found out that it is necessary to raise the Power Limit %.

The card will hold steady at 1300 MHz with a power limit increase of 35%, but at that point the card gets way too hot, hitting 90C before the end of a Unigine or Sleeping Dogs benchmark test.

At default settings the card will pull a max of 100W; with the 35% power limit increase it pulls a max of 135W as expected. Strangely, early in my testing I was able to get the card to hold 1300 MHz with a ~120W pull, but now it needs to be closer to 130W.

In any case, I am a bit disappointed with the card not running at the advertised speed out of the box, and with it seeming to be unable to do so at all due to the required power draw causing the card to overheat. The fan is a non factor here as I've tested it in all kinds of speed/temp configurations and it hasn't had much effect. I've done all my testing in WattMan, but I repeated some of the tests in AfterBurner just to see if anything would be different (it wasn't).

I actually just came across this NewEgg review that indicates that it is inherently a problem with this specific card:

Hopefully MicroCenter will give a full refund, and thankfully they have the MSI in stock.

Edit: Reading plenty of complaints on the MSI cards that give me pause as well. Not even sure what direction to go now.

Have you got any reference for what GPU utilisation is like, without you increasing the power limit?

teiresias

I really wish we'd get some official word on a 1080Ti. Part of my tax refund is earmarked for a GPU upgrade for my 3440x1440 screen and I'd like to pull the trigger in the next month but depending on its pricing and how it affects regular 1080 pricing I would wait.

Hello, just a quick random question about AIO radiators and motherboard connectors.

So, I am going to be finishing my current build once I finally get my S340 elite delivered. While waiting, I went and bought cable mods white cable package and some cable combs to perfect my build. I tested the combs on my PCIE and the motherboard 24 pin connectors and they look beeeeeaautiful.

Now what I would like to do, is pull the 24 pin connector behind the mobo from the right side of the "cover" instead of from the left side where I and probaply everyone else would normally pull it (here is a picture of the case https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna...t_image/image/1057/large_0ad467ea6919f7b1.png.)

Im not totally sure, but I think there is a small gap between the cover and the x62 radiator from which the connector would fit trought. Now if it indeed fits and is long enough, it will touch the radiator constantly and I am wondering if it could possibly damage the connector. So does anyone have any thoughts or theories about this?

GodofWine

Will there ever be a reason to avoid building 1080/60 beast of a machine? Like, if Im really really happy with those specs, and since those builds are more cost effective either in terms of cost, or being more future proof if you over build it a little...like will 1080/60 ever become an unsupported format? (I can't see why , but with my luck...)

TL:DR, if I spend $1000 on a very very decked out 1080/60 build, , can I expect a build to last for a long time with only a minor (and likely not too expensive) gpu upgrade in 4-5 years.

If i was chasing 1440+/120fps+ at ultra, things would need to be upgrade often, but 1080/60 @ very high to ultra??

(not building till May, so the CPU and GPU landscape could change A lot even by then)

Bloodember

Sändersson;230308937 said:
Hello, just a quick random question about AIO radiators and motherboard connectors.

So, I am going to be finishing my current build once I finally get my S340 elite delivered. While waiting, I went and bought cable mods white cable package and some cable combs to perfect my build. I tested the combs on my PCIE and the motherboard 24 pin connectors and they look beeeeeaautiful.

Now what I would like to do, is pull the 24 pin connector behind the mobo from the right side of the "cover" instead of from the left side where I and probaply everyone else would normally pull it (here is a picture of the case https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna...t_image/image/1057/large_0ad467ea6919f7b1.png.)

Im not totally sure, but I think there is a small gap between the cover and the x62 radiator from which the connector would fit trought. Now if it indeed fits and is long enough, it will touch the radiator constantly and I am wondering if it could possibly damage the connector. So does anyone have any thoughts or theories about this?
If your talking about the cable it's insulated and will be fine. The connector will be fine as well.

LordAlu

Will there ever be a reason to avoid building 1080/60 beast of a machine? Like, if Im really really happy with those specs, and since those builds are more cost effective either in terms of cost, or being more future proof if you over build it a little...like will 1080/60 ever become an unsupported format? (I can't see why , but with my luck...)

TL:DR, if I spend $1000 on a very very decked out 1080/60 build, , can I expect a build to last for a long time with only a minor (and likely not too expensive) gpu upgrade in 4-5 years.

If i was chasing 1440+/120fps+ at ultra, things would need to be upgrade often, but 1080/60 @ very high to ultra??

(not building till May, so the CPU and GPU landscape could change A lot even by then)
So long as you're happy doing 1080p60 at very high settings, sure. That was my aim, and I've had my system since 2012 (i5-3570, 8GB RAM, HD7970). I can still run new titles at 1080p60 on very high, not bad for a four year old system :)

BraXzy

I just grabbed 3D Mark from the recent Humble Bundle and ran a quick basic test, comparing the results to someone else online... something seems way off.

They have overclocked a couple hundred hz but that shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?

LilJoka

I just grabbed 3D Mark from the recent Humble Bundle and ran a quick basic test, comparing the results to someone else online... something seems way off.

They have overclocked a couple hundred hz but that shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?

GPU test seems completely off. My GTX 970 hits 14k.

Did you disable vsync? Check the frame rate when in 3D mark. Also monitor the GPU temps and clock speed.
MSI Afterburner can be used to monitor all this.

Edit: I was referring to Firestrike so ignore my score.

Mystic654

Yeah I know. Right as they release a new one.

The controller in the normal premium edition does not work properly. Instead of admitting fault they just Re-Branded the new SKU with a new controller and called it Premium Plus.

Theirs a reason everything TT makes (Or Should I say Steal) is cheap garbage.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but one of my friend has pulled a prank on me. My wallpaper changes to this one shitty image everyday. And for life of me I can't figure out how to stop this nonsense.

I can't find any software or app that has been downloaded.

Every evening I turn on my PC, I see that shitty image. Only happens once a day and then I have to manually change it.

Using Windows 10

Invis

Got a problem I'm not sure what the issue is.

Upgraded my CPU, mobo, and RAM just now. No issues outside of my RAM speed not being set properly. It's DDR4 3200, yet Windows is reporting it as 2133. BIOS is also reporting it as 2133, even though the XMP Profile lists it as 3200. CPU-Z also listing DRAM frequency as 1066. XMP is also on, BIOS has been updated, and all drivers updated.

Anything else I can check?

Got a problem I'm not sure what the issue is.

Upgraded my CPU, mobo, and RAM just now. No issues outside of my RAM speed not being set properly. It's DDR4 3200, yet Windows is reporting it as 2133. BIOS is also reporting it as 2133, even though the XMP Profile lists it as 3200. CPU-Z also listing DRAM frequency as 1066. XMP is also on, BIOS has been updated, and all drivers updated.

Anything else I can check?

Firstly, what motherboard are you using, and what RAM?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really wish we'd get some official word on a 1080Ti. Part of my tax refund is earmarked for a GPU upgrade for my 3440x1440 screen and I'd like to pull the trigger in the next month but depending on its pricing and how it affects regular 1080 pricing I would wait.

I don't expect the 1080 Ti to affect 1080/1070 pricing if AMD still hasn't committed to releasing a competitor. With the Titan XP carrying a $200 premium versus the launch prices of its two predecessors, Nvidia has given itself plenty of room to price the 1080 Ti such that it's notably more expensive than the 1080 but still much cheaper than the Titan XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom