• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

[QUOTE="D";230688400]I'm looking at the Asus Strix, isn't that one the card that people have been saying runs loud?[/QUOTE]

I have a Strix 1070 and it's not loud at all. Right now, my fans aren't spinning, and when gaming with the default fan curve temps don't go over 62c when OC'd.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So I got my second Corsair 350D from Amazon and it didn't come with an accessory kit that includes a mobo standoff and a bunch of screws. Are these things universal and would something like this have everything I need?

sono

I was in the same boat. I ended up with an ASUS IX Hero. I think for me it was more brand trust. I had a gigabyte board before and it was junk so its always turned me off from them. The MSI's were cheaper but then i was reading about the M.2 cover causing heat issues (take it off i guess) but that kinda turned me off from them as well. Luckily I have a Microcenter close to me and they had the hero for $199.

Ok thanks, what was your issue with the Gigabyte board ?

I am torn between AORUS GA-Z270X Gaming 7 and The ASUS IX Hero

The AORUS is slightly cheaper and has inbuilt Creative Sound Core 3D, but is from Gigabyte

Have you got your new rig with the Hero running ok please ?

Some of the amazon reviews for the hero are poor, one guy says he need to replace it 3 times, the Auros also has some bad reviews.

As I mentioned above I am having a nightmare picking one.

Needs to take I7700k and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme 8GB GDDR5X graphics card which I have now purchased.

Bloodember

So I got my second Corsair 350D from Amazon and it didn't come with an accessory kit that includes a mobo standoff and a bunch of screws. Are these things universal and would something like this have everything I need?
Just call corsair customer support and they will send you the accessory kit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just call corsair customer support and they will send you the accessory kit.

Yeah, I sent a ticket a few minutes ago. I'm guessing they'll help out but if not, Amazon customer service refunded me 20% on the case and I figured that'd cover a screw kit. I'm not building for a while (probably gonna wait for Ryzen) so it's no rush

got a sweet deal on a Dell S2716DG - gsync monitor. should be a great upgrade from the one i currently have.

dellgamingmonitor71rgv.jpg

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Yo gaf, what's a relativley cheap and worthwhile CPU upgrade coming from a phenom ii x4 945? Or should I just OC until I can afford something decent?

[QUOTE="D";230688400]I'm looking at the Asus Strix, isn't that one the card that people have been saying runs loud?[/QUOTE]

No. I have an Asus STRIX 1070 and it's pretty quiet. You can configure the fans to your hearts content.

derFeef

I just ordered a Corsair K70 LUX with browns witches. Will be my first good mechanical keyboard. Every part of my setup is breaking apart slowly lately... heh.

Sevenfold

I've been leaning towards the G900. Right now I'm using a G502. Nothing specific, I'm just curious how it feels and if you'd recommend it. I've never used a wireless mouse for gaming.

I've come from MX1000 - G700 - G700S so I'm used to that particular Logitech feel and the G900 is slightly different. My recent mice MX1000 especially are large palm filling mice and the 900 is noticeably lighter and lower profile (vertically - it still has a large footprint (and I have have skinny hands and long fingers)) the balance is slightly towards the rear and it took a little getting used to. I don't know how this compares to other brands. It now feels like the perfect mouse in my hand.

It is really responsive even up against my other performance mice, and whilst still nowhere near the length of other battery mice, 20 hours is great after an evening with G700/s before recharge. I've been using the Logi wireless dongles for a few years and can honestly say I've never had an issue. I use the extender and stick the dongle under the PC.

I went through four G700 due to left click recording multiple times on press, and despite frustrations, Logi CS were brilliant each time. I never had an issue with the 'S' and none so far with the 900.

Like I said, not the most balanced opinion but hope it helps.

Milly79

Looking to purchase a prebuilt gaming pc. Hopefully near $1000 or less. Nothing over the top, I mainly play blizzard games. Would prefer a company that doesn't load it up with extra bloat.

Anyone have any suggestions?

gabbo

Hopefully PCHardwareGAF can provide some insight.
Am looking at making an old internal sata hdd into an external that i can use for backup of media (music, gog installers, movies, etc), but have access to at all times. Am wondering if an enclosure or dock is the way to go and if there are recommendations for either choice manufacturer-wise?

BraXzy

re: my red hot CPU, I got in touch with Dell since I realised I have pro support with them and didn't want to void it with my own attempt yet. A technician is hopefully coming to take a look at it and from the looks of the support ticket, possibly replace the mobo and heatsink? This was at the end of the last support ticket comment.

...replace MB and htsnk PilotWE

Clipse

Hey guys, my Logitech MX518 finally kicked the bucket last and I'm going out to buy a new mouse tonight after work, but I can't decide between the Logitech G403 (Wired) and the G900.

Would the G900 be worth the $115 if I'm planning to use it wired all the time? I've read both mice have the same sensor, so I guess the G900's only advantage in my case would be the better build quality?

Vipu

Banned
Hey guys, my Logitech MX518 finally kicked the bucket last and I'm going out to buy a new mouse tonight after work, but I can't decide between the Logitech G403 (Wired) and the G900.

Would the G900 be worth the $115 if I'm planning to use it wired all the time? I've read both mice have the same sensor, so I guess the G900's only advantage in my case would be the better build quality?

I dont know why do you NEED that G900 if you would use it as wired, there must be better wired for cheaper.

But anyway the differences are:
- Different shape
- Free scroll wheel in G900
- Thumb buttons possible to have on both sides on G900

I would still suggest to have some other mouse if it have to be wired, much more to choose from with shape too.

LordAlu

What's the difference between the Asus Z270 motherboards models besides Wi-Fi integrated on one of them?
Generally it will be Aura Sync, overclocking features like LED display or voltage points. You'll might get better audio too (not that most people could tell the difference). Maybe more than one M.2 port. Usually you'll get slightly better overclocking out of the really high-end boards.

When it comes down to it, just choose the one that has the features you need and looks good visually for your build.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Why the hell is ASUS stuff generally expensive? Are they the "top" brand or something?

LilJoka

[QUOTE="D";230746390]Why the hell is ASUS stuff generally expensive? Are they the "top" brand or something?[/QUOTE]

For motherboards they are more refined imo.
You have their staff on forums like overclock.net giving tips on overclocking settings etc.

GPUs - don't know, I always find MSI doing the best balanced cards with their Nvidia Gaming series.

GhostEther

Neo Member
Generally it will be Aura Sync, overclocking features like LED display or voltage points. You'll might get better audio too (not that most people could tell the difference). Maybe more than one M.2 port. Usually you'll get slightly better overclocking out of the really high-end boards.

When it comes down to it, just choose the one that has the features you need and looks good visually for your build.

Thanks, I'll research more into it.

Oh man, there's a 10% off coupon for the Cryorig H7 on Newegg. It only knocks down the price by like $3.50, but not having to deal with its stupid mounting bracket is looking very appealing, and the slight performance boost could help me when I get a Ryzen 1600X.

Should I take the plunge, or just reuse my 212 Evo, since I doubt I'll be able to sell it on eBay (the 212 Evo used market looks dead as shit).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Just a best practices question. I got my 1050 Ti in the mail today. I'm upgrading from a 750 Ti, and noticed that the series of driver I downloaded in preparation is compatible with both, so I'm assuming much of the line uses the same driver. I'm going to install the newer one anyway, as it's two months newer than my previous update. Is it really necessary to uninstall the old driver and power down, then install the card and install the driver after I power back up? It seems like everything would be so similar that it would be a bit superfluous.

Niven

so i'm looking to build a gaming PC and have no clue where to start!
I've been eyeing up the RX 480? don't really want to send more than £800
please help!!

Vipu

Banned
so i'm looking to build a gaming PC and have no clue where to start!
I've been eyeing up the RX 480? don't really want to send more than £800
please help!!

Do you need EVERYTHING? Do you have some parts already? etc
What are you gonna do with the pc? Do you want to have 4k resolution, 144hz etc?
We need to know more to help.

Niven

Do you need EVERYTHING? Do you have some parts already? etc
What are you gonna do with the pc? Do you want to have 4k resolution, 144hz etc?
We need to know more to help.

I need everything, i'm starting from scratch. i'd like 4K but if that is gonna sky rocket the prices then i'm not fussed if it can't always hit 4K. the only thing i plan on using it for is gaming no work related stuff.
thanks

Weevilone

Just a best practices question. I got my 1050 Ti in the mail today. I'm upgrading from a 750 Ti, and noticed that the series of driver I downloaded in preparation is compatible with both, so I'm assuming much of the line uses the same driver. I'm going to install the newer one anyway, as it's two months newer than my previous update. Is it really necessary to uninstall the old driver and power down, then install the card and install the driver after I power back up? It seems like everything would be so similar that it would be a bit superfluous.

I'm sure there are some anal people out there that will disagree, but I can't be bothered. I use Geforce Experience and just let it install the drivers each time. It's been fine.

I need everything, i'm starting from scratch. i'd like 4K but if that is gonna sky rocket the prices then i'm not fussed if it can't always hit 4K. the only thing i plan on using it for is gaming no work related stuff.
thanks
Get at least 16GB of 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM for your rig ASAP. The prices are going to be rising for the rest of the year.

A Cryorig H7 would probably be the best price/perf cooler for you, but that depends on what CPU you get. If the latest Ryzen leak is right, an R5 1600X or more might be in your future.

Niven

Get at least 16GB of 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM for your rig ASAP. The prices are going to be rising for the rest of the year.

A Cryorig H7 would probably be the best price/perf cooler for you, but that depends on what CPU you get. If the latest Ryzen leak is right, an R5 1600X or more might be in your future.

thanks! is it a good idea to get the RAM and GPU now? and wait for Ryzen for the rest??

thanks! is it a good idea to get the RAM and GPU now? and wait for Ryzen for the rest??
Ryzen comes out next week, but the 1600X might not be available until later.

I would get RAM now, before the prices escalate even further. The GPU can wait until you're ready to get the CPU, since there might be deals to be had on bundles or just discounts at retailers.

Niven

Ryzen comes out next week, but the 1600X might not be available until later.

I would get RAM now, before the prices escalate even further. The GPU can wait until you're ready to get the CPU, since there might be deals to be had on bundles or just discounts at retailers.

Thanks. I guess I'll be back next week for more help!

ryan299

So I can get this pc from a guy on craigslist for $450. Worth it?

This is the listing
Specs:
i3 6100 dual core 3.7ghz
Nvidia gtx 1050ti 4gb
8gb ddr4
1tb @ 7200

Whats a good way to test it to make sure everything is working?

Sorry i'm new to gaming on pc.

So I can get this pc from a guy on craigslist for $450. Worth it?

This is the listing
Specs:
i3 6100 dual core 3.7ghz
Nvidia gtx 1050ti 4gb
8gb ddr4
1tb @ 7200

Whats a good way to test it to make sure everything is working?

Sorry i'm new to gaming on pc.

Hrm... it's not bad, though you can put together a fairly comparable machine for a similar price, thus gaining the benefit of warranties and all (unless he can provide the paperwork for all that), so long as you're willing to build it. Also I wouldn't trust being given an unactivated version of windows unless the guy actually offered you the code he supposedly hasn't used. Testing wise, the simplest answer if you'd be collecting it would be to ask him to show it all in action for a bit.

Here's an example I put together, with the bonus of more recent hardware, and an SSD:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($61.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.74 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 400W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $502.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-21 20:00 EST-0500

Since the listed price on Craig's List is 500, that's what I went with for reference. Drop the SSD, and it's roughly the same basic price (though double check on shipping costs, of course). The G4560 performs pretty close to the i3-6100, so it's not too much of a compromise.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So post upgrade everything is working fine, but a quirk from my first GPU is a little exacerbated now. I have my monitor connected via DVI, and a TV via HDMI when I need a second display. Before, whenever I would switch my TV on and off, if I was playing certain games, the monitor would briefly flicker. On some games it would stay black until I alt+tabbed out and back in. Now it flickers briefly no matter what I'm doing, game or just desktop/browser/etc.

Ashhong

Hi guys, some advice needed. My parents PC I built a while ago is failing. It was a budget build as they mainly use it for web streaming. They have an AMD Phenom II X4. I'm not sure what part is failing, so might just upgrade the mobo/cpu and call it a day.

I'm wondering, is there a good/cheap mobo/cpu combo for their use? I'm talking under 200 if including about 8gb of RAM. Or should I give them my parts (i5 4670k, RAM, mobo) and then upgrade myself to the latest Intel? Is now a good time to buy Intel?

Smokey

I've come from MX1000 - G700 - G700S so I'm used to that particular Logitech feel and the G900 is slightly different. My recent mice MX1000 especially are large palm filling mice and the 900 is noticeably lighter and lower profile (vertically - it still has a large footprint (and I have have skinny hands and long fingers)) the balance is slightly towards the rear and it took a little getting used to. I don't know how this compares to other brands. It now feels like the perfect mouse in my hand.

It is really responsive even up against my other performance mice, and whilst still nowhere near the length of other battery mice, 20 hours is great after an evening with G700/s before recharge. I've been using the Logi wireless dongles for a few years and can honestly say I've never had an issue. I use the extender and stick the dongle under the PC.

I went through four G700 due to left click recording multiple times on press, and despite frustrations, Logi CS were brilliant each time. I never had an issue with the 'S' and none so far with the 900.

Like I said, not the most balanced opinion but hope it helps.

I appreciate it, thanks!

Hi guys, some advice needed. My parents PC I built a while ago is failing. It was a budget build as they mainly use it for web streaming. They have an AMD Phenom II X4. I'm not sure what part is failing, so might just upgrade the mobo/cpu and call it a day.

I'm wondering, is there a good/cheap mobo/cpu combo for their use? I'm talking under 200 if including about 8gb of RAM. Or should I give them my parts (i5 4670k, RAM, mobo) and then upgrade myself to the latest Intel? Is now a good time to buy Intel?

See the one above from the list that's a G4560, a B250 motherboard (the other main cheap one is Gigabyte's GA-B250M-DS3H), and a stick of 8GB? Should serve their purposes well, and while Ryzen's on the horyzen, it probably won't affect the budget side of PC building too much.

Or, to put it more visually:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $193.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-21 20:25 EST-0500

Vipu

Banned

Wait for Ryzen.

Ashhong

See the one above from the list that's a G4560, a B250 motherboard (the other main cheap one is Gigabyte's GA-B250M-DS3H), and a stick of 8GB? Should serve their purposes well, and while Ryzen's on the horyzen, it probably won't affect the budget side of PC building too much.

Or, to put it more visually:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $193.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-21 20:25 EST-0500

Much appreciated, 200$ isn't bad at all. But then this guy here says...

Wait for Ryzen.

What to do..

Ashhong

I guess Ryzen doesnt effect so much on that low tier prices and if your parents needs pc fast then its no need to wait.

Within a month preferably. They can't live without their Korean dramas. Looks like Ryzen is coming soon, but since their needs are so basic it probably doesn't matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom