• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Messing around with overclocking for the first time, i5 4690K - all I did was boost the clock ratio from 3.5 GHz to 4.2 GHz without touching voltage or anything like that. Ran Cinebench and went from 522 cb to 604 cb.

Do these temps look acceptable?

Those temps seem OK. How did you achieve those temps? I mean, what program did you use to stress test; was it Cinebench?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
1. Yes
2. The difference in performance is actually not big, and r5 1600 is the best bang for your buck, specially since you can overclock with stock cooler from 3.2 to 3.9 hz, even 4hz with. O issues

Thank you for this answer (and later clarifications). It looks like the 1600X is going to be my CPU. Now I just need to wait for the GPU market to settle down.

rtcn63

Sonic Generations may not be a great port. I couldn't even get the buttons to map to a controller correctly. And the Bioshock remasters (last I checked) crash. A lot. I played through Bio 2.

Seik

Banned
Sonic Generations may not be a great port. I couldn't even get the buttons to map to a controller correctly.

It's a solid port to me, performance wise, I can run it in 4K/60fps on a GTX 1060.

The configurator tool sucks though, I often switch between my monitor and my tv and it seems to have problem saving the setups and does not want to start the game until I chose all my outputs correctly.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hype for building systems is real. Best of luck to Booker.DeWitt, Dr.Acula and Darkslayer 101 on your builds.

Thanks! Got all my stuff in the mail, ready to start building tomorrow. I briefly considered starting at 10 o'clock at night after getting back from the movies with some friends, but dashed that idea after realising I'd end up just staying up 'til four-in-the-morning tweaking, lol.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic Generations may not be a great port. I couldn't even get the buttons to map to a controller correctly. And the Bioshock remasters (last I checked) crash. A lot. I played through Bio 2.

If I play the Bioshock games, I think I'd likely play the originals (assuming I still can; I bought them before the remasters released).

My fingers are crossed that Sonic Generations works and that I can play with my Switch Pro Controller. Sonic Generations and the original Mirror's Edge are the two older games I probably want to play most.

FINALLY

Excuse the pic quality due to tempered glass and poor lightning from my part
AAA56NU.jpg

1nv8kKt.png
Edit:
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB + 960 Pro M.2 250GB
Video Card: MSI Duke GTX 1080
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Red)
Power Supply: Seasonic 750W Gold +
Total: $1700 (Bought parts separately much earlier so was able to save a lot!)

Completed my first rig after months of planning (years of wishing) and I'm quite excited that it turned out the way it did.
The actual installation went by super fast, even with me trying to fix the gpu sag that comes with the 1080 duke.

My only gripe is the poor RGB options for the M7 board and running into corsair link issues.
Sometimes my ram reverts to a static color and stays that way and is not recognized by corsair link or msi gaming app...
Reinstalling corsair link or multiple restarts fixes it but I hope I can resolve the problem for good. Maybe y'all ran into something similar and has a solution as always.

But It all payed off when I ran witcher 3 max settings...
especially with the rig being silent AF

I still have to put some rgb lighting inside the case down the road but overall really satisfied with the build. Having played witcher 3 on ps4, then on my alpha that barely kept 45fps on med settings,
Seeing it on ultra was surely a reward.....
Now to get a 4k monitor
tenor.gif

btw any recommendations on quality wifi adaptors to go on my rig?
As always could not have done with with PC Gaf's help, y'all rock

Have any pcparts with ram (vid card/ ram..) really shot up over the past year? I was pricing out a replacement for my GTX 760 and pretty much every card has risen base price by 50/60$.

Should I just go back to the waiting game?

Have any pcparts with ram (vid card/ ram..) really shot up over the past year? I was pricing out a replacement for my GTX 760 and pretty much every card has risen base price by 50/60$.

Should I just go back to the waiting game?

RAM has gone up since shifts to DDR4 by phone companies has eaten into supply, while graphics cards above like, a GTX 1050 Ti have been affected by the cryptocurrency boom of late.

Dr.Acula

Banned
AMD RYZEN 5 1600: $305.09
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: $1028.29
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15): $214.68
after shipping :(
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4: $144.49
Samsung EVO 960 m.2 500GB: $344.15
Fractal Design Define R5: $135.59
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold: (scavenged from old build)

Total in CAD after taxes: $2172.29
Oh God, what have I done?

fghGXNd.jpg

FINALLY

Edit:
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB + 960 Pro M.2 250GB
Video Card: MSI Duke GTX 1080
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Red)
Power Supply: Seasonic 750W Gold +
Total: $1700 (Bought parts separately much earlier so was able to save a lot!)

Completed my first rig after months of planning (years of wishing) and I'm quite excited that it turned out the way it did.
The actual installation went by super fast, even with me trying to fix the gpu sag that comes with the 1080 duke.

My only gripe is the poor RGB options for the M7 board and running into corsair link issues.
Sometimes my ram reverts to a static color and stays that way and is not recognized by corsair link or msi gaming app...
Reinstalling corsair link or multiple restarts fixes it but I hope I can resolve the problem for good. Maybe y'all ran into something similar and has a solution as always.

But It all payed off when I ran witcher 3 max settings...

especially with the rig being silent AF

I still have to put some rgb lighting inside the case down the road but overall really satisfied with the build. Having played witcher 3 on ps4, then on my alpha that barely kept 45fps on med settings,
Seeing it on ultra was surely a reward.....
Now to get a 4k monitor
tenor.gif

Awesome, welcome to PC master race

tenor.gif

I would just get a power line adaptor instead of wifi adaptor. This is what I did

RAM has gone up since shifts to DDR4 by phone companies has eaten into supply, while graphics cards above like, a GTX 1050 Ti have been affected by the cryptocurrency boom of late.

Ugh I figured, should have just jumped originally, my 760 is failing, what would the best 1050 ti stop gap be?

I have a huge case, but also have a BitFenix prodigy mini itx I want to transfer it to after prices or next round of cards come out. Any help welcome:

Will be paired with

i7 4770k with slight OC
16gb ram
Asus Pro mobo

Really aiming for 1080p Med-High if possible settings.

Sorry just a low level plebe PC player...

Quick question, who has overclocked the ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler ? The settings most used that I found is 3.8 to 3.9 hz with CPU copy of 1.3 to 1.35. What do you guys use ?

Panzon

AMD RYZEN 5 1600: $305.09
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: $1028.29
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15): $214.68
after shipping :(
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4: $144.49
Samsung EVO 960 m.2 500GB: $344.15
Fractal Design Define R5: $135.59
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold: (scavenged from old build)

Total in CAD after taxes: $2172.29
Oh God, what have I done?

fghGXNd.jpg
DAYUUUM that's quite the beast right there. Congrats!

I wanna build my second one asap but not sure if I should wait for Nvidia's next big announcement or just go for a 1080 ti. Part of me wants to give AMD a chance though since the bang seems much better for the buck. Also would like to try SLI/Crossfire for the first time but not sure if that's a good idea either lol

kuYuri

Ugh I figured, should have just jumped originally, my 760 is failing, what would the best 1050 ti stop gap be?

I have a huge case, but also have a BitFenix prodigy mini itx I want to transfer it to after prices or next round of cards come out. Any help welcome:

Will be paired with

i7 4770k with slight OC
16gb ram
Asus Pro mobo

Really aiming for 1080p Med-High if possible settings.

Sorry just a low level plebe PC player...

Lol, i7 is not plebe sir.

What GPU is the one you actually want?

If you want a 1050 Ti as a stopgap, just grab any since it's a stopgap anyway. Or consider going with a used GPU as a stopgap such as a 970 or above.

Lol, i7 is not plebe sir.

What GPU is the one you actually want?

If you want a 1050 Ti as a stopgap, just grab any since it's a stopgap anyway. Or consider going with a used GPU as a stopgap such as a 970 or above.

I was looking at the Rx580 or Gtx 1060, I don't want to go below 4gb if possible of vram.

And I want to reuse the 1050 if possible too as a htpc box once I scoop up the replacement.

Anyone have any negative experiences with A non-activated copy of Windows 10? I've been reading that it's mostly cosmetic issues but wanna be sure.

Edit: you can use any Windows 7/8 key to Activate, thankfully. Wish I knew this sooner.

kuYuri

I was looking at the Rx580 or Gtx 1060, I don't want to go below 4gb if possible of vram.

And I want to reuse the 1050 if possible too as a htpc box once I scoop up the replacement.

In that case, depending on the size of your HTPC, pretty much any from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, and EVGA will be fine. I've always been partial to the MSI Gaming X myself.

Draginite

Neo Member
Hey y'all! Posted yesterday and didn't get any replies. I ended up getting help from someone who put together this build list for me. I'm not a fan of the open-windows on cases, though, so could I get some help finding alternate cases? And besides that, how does this build look in general? Anything I can improve on or cut down costs in?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD8v9W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD8v9W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.22 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.64 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1018.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-05 10:54 EDT-0400

I wanna build my second one asap but not sure if I should wait for Nvidia's next big announcement or just go for a 1080 ti. Part of me wants to give AMD a chance though since the bang seems much better for the buck. Also would like to try SLI/Crossfire for the first time but not sure if that's a good idea either lol

I really feel like it's slowly but surely dying. There is just not enough support anymore in modern games.

Hey y'all! Posted yesterday and didn't get any replies. I ended up getting help from someone who put together this build list for me. I'm not a fan of the open-windows on cases, though, so could I get some help finding alternate cases? And besides that, how does this build look in general? Anything I can improve on or cut down costs in?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD8v9W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD8v9W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.22 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.64 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1018.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-05 10:54 EDT-0400

In this price range, I'd swap the i5 for a Ryzen R5 1600. You don't need an aftermarket cooler for the R5 1600, the one that comes with it is pretty good and can also be used to overclock the CPU. Of course for Ryzen you need a different mainboard, too. B350 chipsets are just fine (also for OC), just look at what you need in terms of features. A common choice is the Asus Prime B350-Plus (~$100ish).
For cases, there are hundred of good ones out there. Maybe take a look at the Define S. Should be ~$80.
I'd definitely go for faster RAM (especially with Ryzen, but also with Intel CPUs). ~3000 Mhz seems to be sweet spot. Look for example for the Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000.
The PSU has too much wattage. I'd go with ~500W, but a more efficient one (Gold efficiency, Seasonic or other known brands).

lethial

Reeeeeeee
My R9 390 died a few weeks ago and wow just nothing in stock in my area aside from a Zoltac 1070 gtx mini. Is it a decent card? It's $579.99 CDN, seems like a lot of coin for a mini card.

Jarnet87

@ Darkslayer what cooler are you using and how are your temps?

Do games push the hardware for benchmarking/temps as much as programs like Cinebench, 3DMark, AIDA64, etc?

Draginite

Neo Member
In this price range, I'd swap the i5 for a Ryzen R5 1600. You don't need an aftermarket cooler for the R5 1600, the one that comes with it is pretty good and can also be used to overclock the CPU. Of course for Ryzen you need a different mainboard, too. B350 chipsets are just fine (also for OC), just look at what you need in terms of features. A common choice is the Asus Prime B350-Plus (~$100ish).
For cases, there are hundred of good ones out there. Maybe take a look at the Define S. Should be ~$80.
I'd definitely go for faster RAM (especially with Ryzen, but also with Intel CPUs). ~3000 Mhz seems to be sweet spot. Look for example for the Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000.
The PSU has too much wattage. I'd go with ~500W, but a more efficient one (Gold efficiency, Seasonic or other known brands).

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking up all these parts and updating the build right now.

What are some of the differences between going with a Ryzen processor versus an Intel? I've only ever been using Intel-based computers, from my old measly desktop HP to my current 7 year old gaming laptop that I got as a gift back when I didn't know much about PCs. Honestly, my only experience with specifically Intel-branded stuff when I actually USE the computer is like, the Intel screen-management tool I use when the image on my 2nd monitor is cut off, haha.

Tmac

Virtually no one is going to agree with me, but yes it -was- worth upgrading from 7 to 8.1 when it came out. There's no reason to use 8.1 over 10 now though (so use Windows 10).

Hmmm i'm considering the 8.1 only because i have an unused key.

Does anyone knows if that offer to upgrade from windows 8 to 10 still avaible?

Do games push the hardware for benchmarking/temps as much as programs like Cinebench, 3DMark, AIDA64, etc?

No not at all. These softwares are meant to stress your system to its brink, thats not the case with games.

Games can be very intensive but it depends on what goes on inside the game at any given moment. Ever noticed while moving around while playing a game how much the FPS can spike up and down?
While it's a simplification of a more nuanced tech problem, you can think of your system having to work harder with lots going on.

So in the more quiet places while playing, with fewer effects, characters and such going on, the system will be much less stressed than in the most intense moments with lots of objects, particle effects.
Everything that goes on in the game needs to be computationally offloaded and calculated to the CPU and GPU.

In some games you have a FPS limiter- So if you have really nice performance with like 200+ fps in a older title, you can set a FPS limit to 60 FPS. This makes the computer have to work less hard and makes it less stressed. You wont see benefits to have a game that runs at 250 FPS, so everything will run cooler and better if you set the limiter.

The reason why people use stress test software is to make sure the computer runs ok. The cooling, the performance, the temperature and thermals. The system is supposed to reduce its clockspeed and protect itself and that is why its pushed to its absolute max.

But it would not be advisable to run your test bench software every day like it was a game. You should run it to test your system- Some people like to do a 24 hour non-stop test. I think that is excessive. I just let it run for an hour, and if I see no problems I don't do any more tests.

Draginite

Neo Member
Alright, with the feedback I got from Frankfurter, I put together a new build, and also found a case that I freaking LOVE. How does this all look?

I'm trying to stick to $1000, but I don't mind upgrading the CPU or graphics card or RAM later down the line. I'm using this for 3D modeling and 2-screen multi-tasking more than triple-A gaming, tbh.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zFHKtJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zFHKtJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1001.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-05 11:53 EDT-0400

Alright, with the feedback I got from Frankfurter, I put together a new build, and also found a case that I freaking LOVE. How does this all look?

I'm trying to stick to $1000, but I don't mind upgrading the CPU or graphics card or RAM later down the line. I'm using this for 3D modeling and 2-screen multi-tasking more than triple-A gaming, tbh.

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)

This looks pretty solid.
Re difference between Ryzen R5 and Intels i5: the Ryzen R5 1600 offers 6 cores and 12 threads, while the Intel i5 is a 4 Core / 4 thread CPU. In gaming, right now they are neck and neck, but Ryzen may very well pull ahead significantly in the future once games start using more cores and threads. In pretty much anything multimedia (for example encoding or simply doing lots of stuff at the same time), Ryzen is miles ahead of the Intel CPU.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My Win 7 setup CD isn't recognising my USB perifs...

edit: got it!

Now it can't see my m.2 drive :(

edit edit: trying to make a bootable flash :/

Draginite

Neo Member
This looks pretty solid.
Re difference between Ryzen R5 and Intels i5: the Ryzen R5 1600 offers 6 cores and 12 threads, while the Intel i5 is a 4 Core / 4 thread CPU. In gaming, right now they are neck and neck, but Ryzen may very well pull ahead significantly in the future once games start using more cores and threads. In pretty much anything multimedia (for example encoding or simply doing lots of stuff at the same time), Ryzen is miles ahead of the Intel CPU.

Sweet, sounds like I definitely wanna stuck with the Ryzen. If I wanna upgrade later on, though, should I move up the Ryzen chain, or go to an Intel i7?

Also, does this build need a sound card or an ethernet card/adapter? Or are those functons covered already?

Arex

Maybe you are interested, Fractal Design just launched tempered glass version of the C (and mATX mini C).
If you're not gonna use 5.25" slots or a lot of hard drives, you can consider the C, it's smaller in length and height by 12cm and 5cm, which is quite a lot imo lol

Sweet, sounds like I definitely wanna stuck with the Ryzen. If I wanna upgrade later on, though, should I move up the Ryzen chain, or go to an Intel i7?

Also, does this build need a sound card or an ethernet card/adapter? Or are those functons covered already?

Most motherboard nowadays have integrated sound chip and LAN. That Asus has realtek LAN and sound it seems.

Smokey

These are past their primes, so I'd say no.

Sou Da

Damn, Western Digital gave me a 20% off code for buying an SSD from them like 3 days after I already bought a HDD from somewhere else.

How long is this good for?

@ Darkslayer what cooler are you using and how are your temps?

I have the corsair h100i v2 and while running witcher 3 max 1080p the temps were around 60-65C. On idle it fluctuates 35-40C

I haven't run it through benchmark programs, will let you know the results as soon as I can but I think those should push it further than real-world settings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just put in an order for these parts:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC)
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit
MSI CPU Cooler, Silver/Black (Core Frozr L)

It's going to be replacing an old i5 2500k build that I've been using alongside my 1080p G-Sync gaming machine (6700k, GTX 1080) mainly for photo and video editing and such.

I'll be using it with a GTX 970 until the Vega cards come out. Going with Vega since I'm using a Viewsonic 60hz 4K FreeSync monitor with it.

Gotta say, I'm kind of excited about being back in the AMD camp. I haven't used an AMD processor since like 2006.

Sami+

So I got a GTX 1080 from Best Buy I'm planning on returning in a few days - my whole PC upgrade adventure all started because I was getting HDMI audio sound crackle and I got booted off FFXIV mid-dungeon twice, so I wanted to make absolutely sure that the problem was my GTX 760 and not my mobo or something (and also get an idea of what kind of upgrade I'll be getting, I won't lie ;)). What was gonna be only updating to a GTX 1060 or 1070 ended up being:

GPU: GTX 1080 Windforce that I'm buying off a GAFfer ��
CPU: i5 4690K from my 2013 setup, but now overclocked for the first time ever to 4.2 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3, upgraded from 4GB
Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 AXE over stock intel fan lol
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H (old)
Storage: Crucial 525GB Internal SSD + SeaGate 2TB Firecuda SSHD

And the biggest, thanks to adding funds from selling my mirrorless camera:

AOC Agon AG352UGC 3440*1440 Ultrawide G-Sync monitor, upgraded from a 32" Samsung Smart TV I bought in 2013. Excited for everything to come in.

Thoughts?

FHIZ

Okay I'm in the middle of my build, I need to reroute my USB 3.0 cable that I've already plugged into the mobo,

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THIS THING OFF?!

I'm going to fucking break something. I'm doing everything I can that the internet has suggested and if I wiggle it up and down more I feel like everything is going to break off.

Sami+

Okay I'm in the middle of my build, I need to reroute my USB 3.0 cable that I've already plugged into the mobo,

I'm going to fucking break something. I'm doing everything I can that the internet has suggested and if I wiggle it up and down more I feel like everything is going to break off.

This and cable management are so hard for me lmao

bomblord1

Banned

I don't know if you just can't get in at the right angle but if should just pull straight out. If something is preventing you from getting your hand around it properly you may have to remove it.

BqXJYkp.jpg

It looks like that right?

Yeah, it should just come free in general. Try and hold the motherboard just beneath it?

FHIZ

This and cable management are so hard for me lmao

Yeah well... I broke it. This is fun. The whole plastic housing of the god damn thing came off the motherboard. I still can't even pull the fucker off. Hopefully I can get it back on.

Yeah well... I broke it. This is fun. The whole plastic housing of the god damn thing came off the motherboard. I still can't even pull the fucker off. Hopefully I can get it back on.

Oh geez. Sounds like a basic issue of a tight fit in that case - rather unusual.

Wozzer

Purpose: Looking to do a new build in time for Destiny 2, and games going on from there. I mostly use it for gaming (all kinds) at 1440p and typically heavily multi-task across multiple monitors but the only taxing activity would be casual streaming.

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2DVynn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2DVynn/by_merchant/

XJJ5bpd.png

I'll be keeping the following parts from my current build;

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro (128GB)
SSD: Ocz Vertex2 (64GB)
HDD: WD10EZEX (1TB)
HDD: Samsung HD204 (2TB)
Monitor #1: Acer XB270HU IPS
Monitor #2: Dell U2311H IPS
Monitor #3: Dell U2311H IPS

I'll be upgrading from an i5-3570k, so will be the first full re-build in 5 years. Hoping the bump will be significantly noticable.

Based on the above I'll be relying on the 970 to get me through until the new wave of GPUs roll around (assuming a 1170/1170Ti so far at least). I'll also be looking to jump on the Ultrawide hype (currently looking at the Acer x34) around the same time as a GPU upgrade.

Q1. I'm aware the Ryzen isn't as capable for gaming currently, but am I right in the assumption that it'll be better in the long term thanks to motherboard lifespan, potential performance improvements to be had and in general multi-tasking benefits?

Q2. I'm aware there's memory support issues with the Ryzen (though lessened by recent updates). Is the selected memory a good supported choice?

Q3. With a GPU upgrade to the next hardware series to come, will my spec list be well rounded in terms of bottlenecks?

Top Bottom