• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ISee

Thanks!

If you want to check pcdiga.com. It's another option.

Hmm prices are similar there.
You could order from Amazon.de, they deliver to Portugal (thanks EU). If you aren't a prime member you can get a free subscription for a month anytime. Delivery should only cost a flat 5€ more if you tell them to send everything in one package. Of course delivery time will be longer (2 days), but that's fine for 70€ less imo.

amd_3aqsbv.jpg

So, after a few days on my new build, it happens that sometimes the pc won't boot up. Then I restart and it works.

If I had to guess I'd say it's the motherboard...any advice aside from the usual component-by-component troubleshoot?

blacklotus

Hmm prices are similar there.
You could order from Amazon.de, they deliver to Portugal (thanks EU). If you aren't a prime member you can get a free subscription for a month anytime. Delivery should only cost a flat 5€ more if you tell them to send everything in one package. Of course delivery time will be longer (2 days), but that's fine for 70€ less imo.

amd_3aqsbv.jpg

Thanks!
One last question though:
On the first setup using the portuguese site, you switched the mobo from MSI to asus.

Any particular reason? Or was it just budget management?

Vixdean

Been comparing builds for a while and it's honestly still hard to justify a Ryzen 1700/1700X/1800X build over a 7700K. Better gaming performance, less finicky with RAM and less worries about software/driver support. At least until I see evidence that further tweaking will give AMD's extra cores the edge over Intel's IPC.

So it seems I found the issue: apparently it has something to do with displayport, 1080ti/titan xp on a z270 chipset.

This is what it sometimes shows before getting stuck in post:

cmstr.jpg

I've done all the standard troubleshooting, and two (!) friends of mine with different setup but same chipset and gpu have experienced this.

Any idea what could it be? Hardware is fine.

Bloodember

So it seems I found the issue: apparently it has something to do with displayport, 1080ti/titan xp on a z270 chipset.

cmstr.jpg

I've done all the standard troubleshooting, and two (!) friends of mine with different setup but same chipset and gpu have experienced this.

Does this do it every time you boot? If so pretty sure that is normal when booting using display port. Mine has done this with two different builds and two different gpu's. Mine, it takes up most of the screen though. Well, not quite like that, but close.

Does this do it every time you boot? If so pretty sure that is normal when booting using display port. Mine has done this with two different builds and two different gpu's. Mine, it takes up most of the screen though. Well, not quite like that, but close.

Not every time, but when it does it tends to get stuck on post forever.

Without gpu it never happens. And it wasn't happening on my old haswell mobo.

This is gonna be a really weird question, but are you leaving the BIOS setting to Auto or whatever the equivalent for your OEM's setting is where it chooses the onboard then switches to PCIE? It's possible that the DP handshake fails for whatever reason (cable, connector, whatever) when the switch happens during POST.

Bloodember

This is gonna be a really weird question, but are you leaving the BIOS setting to Auto or whatever the equivalent for your OEM's setting is where it chooses the onboard then switches to PCIE? It's possible that the DP handshake fails for whatever reason (cable, connector, whatever) when the switch happens during POST.
No its not on auto, I've used different cables and changed what display port I use. Its not a big deal it posts everytime just gives me snow before it starts to post.

Smokey

Has the rumor that Coffee Lake has been pushed to August release been discussed?

I think it's also been heavily suggested x299 will go on sale in June, but the coffee thing is a hot one. AMD must've really got Intel shook.

Weevilone

cmstr.jpg

I am using DisplayPort with Z270 and the 1080Ti. I've never seen this.

Perhaps it's down to a particular motherboard or display?

cmstr.jpg

Do you have the newest Nvidia driver and the Windows Creator update installed?

Cause that's exactly whats causing it.

AmyS

Posted?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3192...n-pro-duo-is-slower-than-its-predecessor.html

AMD's new Polaris-based Radeon Pro Duo is slower than its predecessor

AMD's new Radeon Pro Duo graphics packs two of the company's fastest GPUs, but surprisingly, is slower than its 2016 predecessor.

The Pro Duo, announced on Monday, is based on the Polaris architecture. It provides 11.45 teraflops of single-precision performance, which is a downgrade from the 16 teraflops of performance offered by last year's Pro Duo, based on the Fiji architecture.

Performance usually goes up with each new GPU generation, but AMD opted to lower the power draw and the number of processing cores in the Pro Duo; as result, the product generates less heat. The Pro Duo draws 250 watts of power, compared to 350 watts by its predecessor.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/radeon-pro/duo

Downgrade me if old.

It happened to me once. It seems this is a documented issue?

There are some threads on Nvidia's forum and Reddit's Nvidia subreddit.

I actually had to reformat my PC because this corrupted my boot drive. Any time i would cold boot it would it always crash. I then read up to shut off fast boot in the bios and so far its done the trick.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have trouble getting my monitors to work at first but then I read that I had to make sure the displayport made a clicking sound when put in. Dual displayport monitors working fine on my 1080 Ti.

Duxxy3

Haven't had a new case in over 6 years. My new S340 comes in tomorrow.

Also replacing my power supply. By far the best I've ever had. Hopefully the replacement lasts just as long.

ss_lemonade

Just pulled the trigger on an EVGA GTX 980 ti 06G-P4-4995-KR for 279 USD. Did I screw up or is this a deal? The 980 to still seems up there in the videocard benchmarks...

To pair with this monitor I just bought:

FPS/RTS Optimized VIOTEK GN34C 34" Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor - 3440x1440p with 100Hz Refresh Rate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1GZHYJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That looks like an awesome price for a 980ti. Still a beast of a gpu

Anyone have an issue with the mouse cursor always showing the loading animation for every little thing you do on chrome? It doesn't happen on Edge.

Izuna

Banned
So, I'm getting Gsync for the first time with my new laptop

Is there anything I should know? Like, times where I should have it disabled?

The screen is also going to be 75Hz, do I keep it that way regardless of performance?

Is there a legitimate way to bring my copy of Windows 10 over to a completely new build? My copy was a free upgrade since I had 8.1 when 10 came out.

Edit: If I build a G4560 build now, how many gens of processors will my equipment be compatible with? Will coffee lake work on current architecture, or is kaby lake the end of this current config?

Currently sitting with a stock 4770k.

Got a 1080ti Gaming X OC on order and have been using a Predator x34 for about half a year. Any suggestions on a CPU upgrade?

I play mostly anything but I'm interested in emulating games so a beefy CPU is my next step.

LilJoka

Got a 1080ti Gaming X OC on order and have been using a Predator x34 for about half a year. Any suggestions on a CPU upgrade?

I play mostly anything but I'm interested in emulating games so a beefy CPU is my next step.

Overclock the CPU if you have a Z series chipset. Otherwise you need new CPU mobo and ram, the only real upgrade there is a 7700k, not really worth it.

laxu

Just pulled the trigger on an EVGA GTX 980 ti 06G-P4-4995-KR for . Did I screw up or is this a deal? The 980 to still seems up there in the videocard benchmarks...

To pair with this monitor I just bought:

FPS/RTS Optimized VIOTEK GN34C 34" Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor - 3440x1440p with 100Hz Refresh Rate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1GZHYJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

980 Ti is still pretty good but the monitor you have chosen only has Freesync and I have never heard of that monitor brand. You could benefit from G-Sync with that GPU so if you can, consider replacing it with a similar G-Sync model.

ISee

Is there a legitimate way to bring my copy of Windows 10 over to a completely new build? My copy was a free upgrade since I had 8.1 when 10 came out.

Edit: If I build a G4560 build now, how many gens of processors will my equipment be compatible with? Will coffee lake work on current architecture, or is kaby lake the end of this current config?

Kabylake will most probably be the end.

Just enter your win 8.1 key after installing win 10 and login with your Microsoft account.

As liljoka said there is no need to upgrade but if you want to do it anyway wait for skylake-X reviews, especially for the 6core variant. It might be what you want and it may arrive in the next months. Or take your time and wait for coffee lake...

GTX 970. I play anything really (Witcher 3 lately), but I got a 4k TV lately and many games don't run that well in 4k. I guess I'm better off upgrading my GPU?

Yep. The 970 is just not capable enough for 4K on games like that without turning a whole bunch of settings down, and even then it struggles.

You'd want to look at the GTX 1070 and up; 1070 if 4K at 30fps is acceptable, up to the 1080 Ti if you want 60fps.

NH Apache

Banned
980 Ti is still pretty good but the monitor you have chosen only has Freesync and I have never heard of that monitor brand. You could benefit from G-Sync with that GPU so if you can, consider replacing it with a similar G-Sync model.

I know the freesync won't work but I'll still get 100 Hertz which is nice. It's a no name that I'm taking a risk on but the price is hundreds less than Sammy or LG. I considered a 480 but I saw the 980 to on eBay and for the price, I dove in.

Any change to be made to this list? I used the US version of PCPartpicker but I'm in Europe,the EU versions have so many missing prices for parts it's kinda useless. Still, relative costs will be somewhat equivalent. Will be buying the TG version of this case once it becomes available for purchase.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($316.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B350M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($123.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($174.46 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card ($539.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($555.52 @ Amazon)
Total: $2222.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 11:32 EDT-0400

Yep. The 970 is just not capable enough for 4K on games like that without turning a whole bunch of settings down, and even then it struggles.

You'd want to look at the GTX 1070 and up; 1070 if 4K at 30fps is acceptable, up to the 1080 Ti if you want 60fps.
Thank you. Is the next generation of Nvidia GPUs likely to release this year? I'd rather wait for a 1170 or whatever it'll be.

Weevilone

Thank you. Is the next generation of Nvidia GPUs likely to release this year? I'd rather wait for a 1170 or whatever it'll be.

Likely.. no. There have been rumors but it doesn't make much sense given that the 1080Ti is currently selling like hotcakes and the Titan Xp just launched.

What do you think of this build:

CPU: Intel Core I7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
Motherboard: MSI Z270M Mortar
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C Black
PSU: Corsair VS550 550W
GPU: Asus Dual GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5

Anything I can improve? Does the power supply has enough power? I mainly used the doc in the OP.

I didn't include a SSD, because I already have one.

Top Bottom