• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Theoretically even 400W should be enough for an i5 6600/gtx 1060 combo. So, if the PSU is able to hold and deliver 450W you're fine. But in general; going with a good brand instead of a cheap one is the better idea.

If you're going for the h270/b250 chipset instead of the h170/b150 I'd take the 7600. This way you'll get native usb 3.1 support without having to deal with an external mb chip for that (and some other minor new features). You'll also get native support for ddr4 2400 mhz (instead of just 2133mhz). Not an enormous difference on its own, but when paired with the extra 200mhz CPU clock speed you'll get a noticeable boost for gaming. If you, on the other side, plan for the h170/b150 chipset, take the cheaper 6600 and the 2133mhz ddr4 ram (2400 won't work here). Not worth spending extra $50 for just 200mhz more clock speed, imo.

After doing some more research and asking around, it seems that my Enermax PSU from my old PC is good enough.

I'm settling with the 7600 for better future-proofing. As for PSU, I'll get a 'proper' one later in summer or so. Budget is kinda tight right now.

Anyway, is 8gb of RAM enough nowadays? How about 8+4?

ISee

After doing some more research and asking around, it seems that my Enermax PSU from my old PC is good enough.

I'm settling with the 7600 for better future-proofing. As for PSU, I'll get a 'proper' one later in summer or so. Budget is kinda tight right now.

Anyway, is 8gb of RAM enough nowadays? How about 8+4?

8gb is the minimum and all games will run, but games started to use more ran about 1.5 years ago. Going for more than 8gb on a new build is reasonable.
8+4 is surely doable, but far from optimal. Ram modules need to run at the same clock speeds and timings on each stick. Reaching the same values on separate sticks is doable but it can be tricky and it sometimes just won't work. Another problem with a 4+8 configuration: 4gb + 4gb will run just fine in dual channel mode but your memory controller will have trouble to use the remaining 4gb of ram. This can cause stability issues or your performance may be significantly worse. It's always better to use ram in dual channel mode and all modules should have the same clock speeds, timings and capacity. Get 2x8gb of ddr4 2400mhz ram if you are on a h270 board or 2133mhz if you are on a h170 board (faster ram will only work on z270/z170 boards).

2nd hand cards with plenty of warranty left. 1080 is in the 400-450€ bracket, I'm optimistic I could get it for ~400€.

Than go for it. A MSI 1080 Gaming X 8G is a very good card and for 400€ a bargain.

bomblord1

Banned
I am, thanks. (this one from 2015, which is why I thought it might be goodish: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00TR8YL4W/)
I'm a numbers' man, so I'm easily influenced by <100&#8364; things with 8 cores.

Yup personally I would say not worth it. Even with all 8 cores it's as I said i3 level (better in some games). And in games that don't utilize 8 cores the i3 wins handily. On top of it being recently replaced by the Rzyen line and the associated chipset only supports DDR3 RAM.

The cheapest modern chip that you're going to get 8 threads (4 physical cores) from is the Ryzen 5 1400. Which appears to be 180&#8364; on amazon.de

I am, thanks. (this one from 2015, which is why I thought it might be goodish: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00TR8YL4W/)
I'm a numbers' man, so I'm easily influenced by <100€ things with 8 cores.

Are you looking at this for gaming purposes? Because if you are, there's really no point. If you need a cheap option for performance, better to grab a G4560 or i3-7100.

If you would use it as a workbench then I understand the desire for more cores, but ultimately you'd still be better off getting something more recent. Ryzen in particular may prove fruitful.

dr_mario

Yup personally I would say not worth it. Even with all 8 cores it's as I said i3 level (better in some games). And in games that don't utilize 8 cores the i3 wins handily. On top of it being recently replaced by the Rzyen line and the associated chipset only supports DDR3 RAM.
That's why I thought about it. DDR4 is too expensive for me atm, especially if I need 16 GB for gaming

Are you looking at this for gaming purposes? Because if you are, there's really no point. If you need a cheap option for performance, better to grab a G4560 or i3-7100.

If you would use it as a workbench then I understand the desire for more cores, but ultimately you'd still be better off getting something more recent. Ryzen in particular may prove fruitful.

Yup, gaming, and yeah, it will end up being a Ryzen. I just hope to find a compromise of price, performance and at best DDR3 for cheap ram

Mercador

Is it possible to get a VR ready gpu for around 250$ ? I'm aiming best IQ on 1080p (I got limited space for my monitor).

That's why I thought about it. DDR4 is too expensive for me atm, especially if I need 16 GB for gaming

Yup, gaming, and yeah, it will end up being a Ryzen. I just hope to find a compromise of price, performance and at best DDR3 for cheap ram

RAM in general is a bit pricey right now. If you're looking for the cheapest possible there's always secondhand RAM - I got some sticks via ebay personally - but that's if you're willing to embrace the inherent risk.

Is it possible to get a VR ready gpu for around 250$ ? I'm aiming best IQ on 1080p (I got limited space for my monitor).

The GTX 1060 and RX 480/580 are both VR capable, though you might have to turn down a few settings to achieve a stable 60 FPS.

Edit:
is now a good time to buy a PC to play Destiny 2? Or is new stuff coming out before September?

If you're looking at the mid-range, then everything that was gonna come out this year has come out now. So if your imagined build has a 5 on the CPU, and a 1060 or 480/580 on the GPU, then go right ahead.

On the lower end of the market though, there's the wait for Ryzen's R3 CPUs, intended to compete with Intel's own i3 line. On the higher end, there's the much anticipated 'Vega' GPU line from AMD, which is expected to try and compete with Nvidia's GTX 1070 and up.

Mercador

The GTX 1060 and RX 480/580 are both VR capable, though you might have to turn down a few settings to achieve a stable 60 FPS.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I just got my tax return and I think I will allow me to change my old AMD X3 720. I put a gtx650 on it last fall to play Civ 6.

I'm aiming to i5/gtx1060 combo for around 1000$ CDN. I wonder if there's some price drops incoming with the new Vega gpu.

bomblord1

Banned
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I just got my tax return and I think I will allow me to change my old AMD X3 720. I put a gtx650 on it last fall to play Civ 6.

I'm aiming to i5/gtx1060 combo for around 1000$ CDN. I wonder if there's some price drops incoming with the new Vega gpu.

If your looking for sales and want a 1060 Newegg has a 6GB 1060 for $229.99 with a $10 rebate on top of it in the US right now https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487260&ignorebbr=1

Ghazi

Is it normal for motherboards shipped and sold by Amazon to ship without a box? I got mine in the mail today and it was just in the motherboard box (pretty beat up) and had no tape over it. It looked like it'd been opened already, too. The hardware itself looks fine, but I won't be putting it in a PC for another week so I don't know for sure.

Is it normal for motherboards shipped and sold by Amazon to ship without a box? I got mine in the mail today and it was just in the motherboard box (pretty beat up) and had no tape over it. It looked like it'd been opened already, too. The hardware itself looks fine, but I won't be putting it in a PC for another week so I don't know for sure.

That... doesn't seem normal at all. I ordered mine through Amazon (albeit I live in the UK) and got the standard oversized shipping box filled with plastic packing bubbles. Would recommend chasing Amazon up about that, and double checking the board to make sure it's intact. I mean if it works that's fine I suppose, but given the damage to the box I think you have some right to complain (though I suppose they might deflect onto whatever postal service they used).

bomblord1

Banned

Did it come form overseas or out of country? It may have been opened by customs.

Ghazi

That... doesn't seem normal at all. I ordered mine through Amazon (albeit I live in the UK) and got the standard oversized shipping box filled with plastic packing bubbles. Would recommend chasing Amazon up about that, and double checking the board to make sure it's intact. I mean if it works that's fine I suppose, but given the damage to the box I think you have some right to complain (though I suppose they might deflect onto whatever postal service they used).

Did it come form overseas? It may have been opened by customs.

Shipped from and delivered in US. Shipping service shouldn't be an issue, it's Amazon who packages it and gives it to UPS to deliver.

Apparently the gigabyte AB350 gaming 3 isn't compatible with the ryzen 7 CPU? The cooler fan doesn't fit and the instructions don't match the fan that comes with ryzen. Is it only compatible with the 350M?

IC5

I would recommend Hardocp' recent articles on performance and image quality in VR.

VR is still premature and you gotta have a big system to enjoy VR games at full quality.

It also seems like headsets are still improving. You might want to wait awhile for some of this stuff to mature.

Is the AMD 8300 still good? Easy to overclock?
They are still fine with midrange and low range GPU.

if you are on a budget, I would look for someone selling a used 8300/8320/8350 system. Should be able to get CPU+mobo+RAM pretty cheap, as a used combo.

Alternatively, you might be able to get a used Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 system for cheap, as well. And that would be a better choice.

Maybe even be lucky and find a good used deal on a haswell system.

What is the current best option for mATX Ryzen motherboards? I'd like to pay premium to get good quality but all the motherboards are around the same pricepoint. I was looking at the MSI (Mortar, not Bomber) for now.

popo

What is the current best option for mATX Ryzen motherboards? I'd like to pay premium to get good quality but all the motherboards are around the same pricepoint. I was looking at the MSI Bomber for now.

I assume you mean the MSI mortar.

There are next to no x370 (the more premium chipset) mATX boards yet - they are supposed to be coming.

The B350 boards are all pretty similar so go on looks - if you have a case window - or choose your favourite vendor out of Asus, ASrock, MSI and Gigabyte.

th3dude

What's everyone's favorite CPU cooler these days?

My long running H70 just died. Luckily I run Speccy and noticed idling temps of 95c.

I'd like to get something fairly quiet. Any recommendations?

Was the motherboard OEM? I've never bought an OEM motherboard so I can't speak specifically to them, but often times OEM parts will only come in the shipping box.

Latest pics.

Added a led strip and another HDD. Can't really see the latter.

Clean! Liking that purple too!

While I'm still dicking around with bending and cutting tubes, I decided to knock out low-hanging fruit and mount my PS4 to the back of my Thermaltake P5 like I mentioned a while ago. It's part of my concept for a sort of a hybrid station. To play games. Almost like a...play...station?

Got the mount, drilled some holes, replaced screws and studs with nuts and bolts.

Also got controller mounts and have them velcroed here in my preferred spots, but red controller for PC may not be feasible once GPU and tubes go in. We'll see where they end up.

Like the look. Helps me conserve space and should motivate me to use my PS4 again.

_dsc8629e6utm.png

_dsc8632y1ui7.png

311u3u4m.png

_dsc8645b6ubk.png

_dsc864954u5c.png

Celcius

°Temp. member
What's everyone's favorite CPU cooler these days?

My long running H70 just died. Luckily I run Speccy and noticed idling temps of 95c.

I'd like to get something fairly quiet. Any recommendations?
I really like my Noctua NH-D14, but if I was building from scratch and didn't already have it then I'd go for the newer NH-D15. The performance of my cooler has been great, it's not loud and if you want it to run even quieter then you can use the included low noise adapters, it's easy to install, and plus Noctua has great customer service.

Latest pics.

Added a led strip and another HDD. Can't really see the latter.
Looks great! Decided to remove the name plate that was at the top of the case though?

th3dude

I really like my Noctua NH-D14, but if I was building from scratch and didn't already have it then I'd go for the newer NH-D15. The performance of my cooler has been great, it's not loud and if you want it to run even quieter then you can use the included low noise adapters, it's easy to install, and plus Noctua has great customer service.

Looks great!

Just ordered the smaller Noctua U14s to go in my micro case. Looks like it has great reviews.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Looks great! Decided to remove the name plate that was at the top of the case though?

It's actually for my stick. I had it there temporarily just for a watermark thing.

8522331256_93e4659ce7_b.jpg

After I took the pics adhesive for the led seems to not be good. I have to find some way to get it to stay now.

Mercador

I would recommend Hardocp' recent articles on performance and image quality in VR.

VR is still premature and you gotta have a big system to enjoy VR games at full quality.

It also seems like headsets are still improving. You might want to wait awhile for some of this stuff to mature.
Yeah, I don't plan to buy an headset right away. I'll wait for Google. I might wait a bit more for the PC since there's no game that I need badly right now and the PS4 is perfect so far for my needs. Still, my old amd is getting real old.

DylanEno

Does anyone have any recommendations for a gaming monitor that maintains solid color and has a high refresh rate? I recently picked up the ASUS VG278HV and while I like the 1ms 144hz, my god, the colors are washed out and in comparison to my (budget) IPS panels, it's REALLY noticeable to the point where I'm thinking of returning it.

(Also: What causes colors to be washed out? Contrast ratio? I'm not very tech-savvy and trying to figure out what sort of monitor to pick up has proven to be pretty frustrating, lol.)

Bloodember

Does anyone have any recommendations for a gaming monitor that maintains solid color and has a high refresh rate? I recently picked up the ASUS VG278HV and while I like the 1ms 144hz, my god, the colors are washed out and in comparison to my (budget) IPS panels, it's REALLY noticeable to the point where I'm thinking of returning it.

(Also: What causes colors to be washed out? Contrast ratio? I'm not very tech-savvy and trying to figure out what sort of monitor to pick up has proven to be pretty frustrating, lol.)

The monitor probably just needs calibrated, download calibration software and try calibrating it. Every monitor and tv I have purchased is never good out of the box, they always needed calibrated.

Figments

About to go into the summer with a plan to build the first desktop I've had since the last one died about ten or so years ago.

Planned specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz CPU
16GB DDR4 RAM
500GB SSD + 1TB HDD
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU

All nestled inside an NZXT 240 case.

Hopefully the build goes smoothly. Gonna be using it more as a workhorse for gamedev than actually play games with it, though. I mostly play on consoles--don't really have much of an interest in PC gaming.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Each hardware has it's own program. You can also sync it with your phone and control them from there. The Led strip has it's own remote though.

Is there a way to cap fps system wide? I'm having troubles picking a 1080p freesync monitor.

There's the Asus VG245H for $180 at 75hz then the AOC G2460PF at 144hz for $200.

Want to keep it under $200. My computer will be a budget G4560/RX470 system.

ISee

Is there a way to cap fps system wide? I'm having troubles picking a 1080p freesync monitor.

There's the Asus VG245H for $180 at 75hz then the AOC G2460PF at 144hz for $200.

Want to keep it under $200. My computer will be a budget G4560/RX470 system.

You can easily cap fps with certain tools. Personally I'm using RTTS (Riva Tuner Static Server).

I assume you mean the MSI mortar.

There are next to no x370 (the more premium chipset) mATX boards yet - they are supposed to be coming.

The B350 boards are all pretty similar so go on looks - if you have a case window - or choose your favourite vendor out of Asus, ASrock, MSI and Gigabyte.

Oops, yeah I meant the Mortar. I'll keep my eyes open for news on x370 mATX stuff but otherwise I'll just stick with the MSI board, thanks!

DylanEno

Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.

I tested it and nothing really improved - as expected, the contrast was the weakest point - I couldn't see any of the first 10 black squares despite adjusting my contrast to every possible setting, when they all should have been distinctive. :/

Bloodember

I tested it and nothing really improved - as expected, the contrast was the weakest point - I couldn't see any of the first 10 black squares despite adjusting my contrast to every possible setting, when they all should have been distinctive. :/
What are your settings on your monitor? Are you in srgb mode?

Top Bottom