• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help understanding M.2 Drives and compatibility for my gaming PC

shandy706

I've always built my gaming PC's since the 90's, but I'm lost on how to read the compatibility of the drives on my new motherboard. This is my first board with a M.2 slot.

It is this motherboard.

It says this..

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32Gb/s)**

** Supports Intel OptaneTM Technology
** Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
** Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

I'm confused on what exactly I need to filter out/buy, and any help would be great. It may also help anyone else that doesn't know about these small SSDs.

Experience, and assumptions, can get me so far...but I'd rather be safe than sorry with this.

For example, what items should I select here:

filter01epphg.png

I'm guessing 2280, but then..are there different form factors of 2280?

Edit* I only plan to use this drive as the boot drive. So small size (GB wise) is fine.

(It's the "SATA3 module" and "PCI Express Module" parts that are throwing me off)

Edit 2** Would this one work?

Bendo

2280 is the card dimensions, so 22mm x 80mm. PCIe vs SATA is a matter of bandwith and whether you want to spare PCIe lanes to your SSD. PCIe has way more bandwith than SATA3 (32GB/s vs 6GB/s), but your drive will consume some PCIe lanes which you could otherwise use for SLI or whatever. Personally I went with PCIe for my last build, mostly for peace of mind. Modern SSDs are actually starting to hit the ceiling of SATA bandwith, though I have no idea if it's actually noticeable in real life.

EDIT: And yes, the one you posted would work. Generally speaking I think most drives will work unless they're wider or longer than 2280.

e90Mark

In addition to what Bendo has said, the drive you have linked would work fine and is a NVMe drive, so would be part of that PCI Express bit. Personally, I don't think it's worth to use an SATA3 drives in there.

Those 600p's are good. Another option is the 960 Evo/Pro for NVMe.

kuYuri

Asking this in the PC thread would have been fine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352338

2280 M.2's are currently the most common M.2 size/form factor that the newest motherboards can accept and it's currently the most common one that the latest M.2s are released as. To make it simple:

SATA3 M.2: Speeds are on par with 2.5' SSDs and are the cheaper M.2 drives.

PCIE 3.0 x4: Leverage NVME technology to make it significantly faster than SATA3 M.2 drives, but are also more expensive.

Damaniel

Banned
Step 1: Buy this:

Samsung 960 EVO 250GB

Step 2: Done

I have the 512GB version and I'm very happy with it. The 2GB/sec+ transfer rates are insane! Also, consider the larger version if budget allows - you'll really want to stuff as many of your games in there as possible.

shandy706

Asking this in the PC thread would have been fine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352338

2280 M.2's are currently the most common M.2 size/form factor that the newest motherboards can accept and it's currently the most common one that the latest M.2s are released as. To make it simple:

SATA3 M.2: Speeds are on par with 2.5' SSDs and are the cheaper M.2 drives.

PCIE 3.0 x4: Leverage NVME technology to make it significantly faster than SATA3 M.2 drives, but are also more expensive.

I've posted in the PC thread (with other questions) and had stuff completely ignored quite a few times...haha. Was hoping a thread would get me answers as I finish ordering things.

I have another question. Does the drive have to be NVMe in order to be a boot drive??

Can I buy a 32GB drive that doesn't say "NVMe" that's much cheaper (but the right form factor) and boot from it?

Step 1: Buy this:

Samsung 960 EVO 250GB

Step 2: Done

I have the 512GB version and I'm very happy with it. The 2GB/sec+ transfer rates are insane! Also, consider the larger version if budget allows - you'll really want to stuff as many of your games in there as possible.

Thanks, I plan on adding other drives for games. I just want a stand alone boot drive.

nubbe

cY63WbT.jpg

I personally use a "slow" SATA3 SSD for my system and the M.2 for games and VMs
Because why would I waste all that bandwidth on something that mostly idle

shandy706

cY63WbT.jpg

I personally use a "slow" SATA3 SSD for my system and the M.2 for games and VMs
Because why would I waste all that bandwidth on something that mostly idle

Ah ok, so I should consider my large drive for the M.2 slot? I have so many games though..haha. My current system has 3.5TB of games installed.

Top Bottom