• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I started my final road towards my gastric sleeve today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so cool to hear so many good stories. Day 3 is not as bad as the first two. I don't feel as light headed and my stomach isn't knotting with hunger quite as much. I'm sure working from home today is helping but still, I'm glad my body is not torturing me quite so much.

Like I stated previously, my eating habits are pretty good overall. I don't have a sweet tooth or anything. My biggest weakness is probably noodles. I love noodles of all types. Sacrifices must be made for the greater good.

If you love noodles so much, than eat Shiratake noodles! They have ZERO calories, are high in fiber, and soak up the flavor of anything you pair them with. I learned about them in a weight management group I'm in. Hopefully I can avoid surgery as its a year long program and I'm down over 30 pounds in six weeks. Though I am using those awful meal replacement drink for breakfast and lunch for a few months.

geomon

I heard the walking is to help keep clots from forming. I also have to inject myself for two weeks with a blood thinner. That will be so much fun.

It's for that and to help the gas they pump into you to come out. The gas is what causes the most discomfort after surgery.

I had to inject myself too for 2 weeks. It sucked ass.

Kumquat

It's for that and to help the gas they pump into you to come out. The gas is what causes the most discomfort after surgery.

Did you have to do it in the stomach or just wherever?

geomon

Did you have to do it in the stomach or just wherever?

They tell you it's best on the lower/fatty part of the belly, away from the incisions. I did mine under belly button area. Make sure to spread the skin apart, otherwise putting the needle in is going to hurt like a mofo.

They didn't mention gas to me at least for my surgeon, but they did say no food at all for two weeks before surgery "nothing but clear liquids and whey for calories." At least that's my recollection. I'll get reeducated again before my surgery date. I know it's going to suck ass though.

geomon

They didn't mention gas to me at least for my surgeon, but they did say no food at all for two weeks before surgery "nothing but clear liquids and whey for calories." At least that's my recollection. I'll get reeducated again before my surgery date. I know it's going to suck ass though.
Gas is pumped into the stomach cavity to make it easier to operate. It isn't pumped out so it sits in there until it naturally dissipates. Walking helps with this.

Kumquat

2 days out and there is a part of me that is scared shitless for this. This is the part of me that fears any kind of change happening and wants everything to be the same forever. I won't let it stop me but it is causing all sorts of anxiety. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Nothing to do but keep moving on this journey though.

geomon

That's not bad then. Hope I can get up after surgery and walk home. Or at less walk a day later. They said some people go back to work a day or two after surgery.

I was out of the hospital the next day. They're not going to let you walk home though probably.

2 days out and there is a part of me that is scared shitless for this. This is the part of me that fears any kind of change happening and wants everything to be the same forever. I won't let it stop me but it is causing all sorts of anxiety. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Nothing to do but keep moving on this journey though.

It really doesn't hit home until they give you power of attorney options at the hospital, next of kin all of that. Don't worry though, it'll be over before you know it and you'll wake up wondering who just kicked the shit out of you. Oh and you'll be thirsty as hell and they won't give you any water for the rest of the day. Be prepared to suck on sweetened wet q tips.

Kumquat

I was out of the hospital the next day. They're not going to let you walk home though probably.

It really doesn't hit home until they give you power of attorney options at the hospital, next of kin all of that. Don't worry though, it'll be over before you know it and you'll wake up wondering who just kicked the shit out of you. Oh and you'll be thirsty as hell and they won't give you any water for the rest of the day. Be prepared to suck on sweetened wet q tips.

Actually, my doc said she does the leak test right after the surgery so I can have some water when I wake up.

Kumquat

Tomorrow is the big day and the butterflies in my stomach are going overtime. I am freaking out so much right now. I'm sure I'll be fine but still. I suppose everyone gets jitters before something like this.

Girlfriend here. I just wanted to chime in on this because it's been stressful for me as well. I've been trying to come up with recipes for his diet afterwards, and what will be suitable to puree. I bought jelly size canning jars for portion control. I pureed a safe version of chicken pot sans-pie and it's in the freezer. I have a pot of beanless chili ready to be jarred. I bought chicken feet for making broth. And I was going to get a couple knuckle bones for beef broth. His diet for the first month is very restrictive and no carbs or starches for at least six months. I know each doctor has their own rules, but I'm not going to play the everyone else is doing it game.

Food is really my only control over all this, so I've dug my heels in it and don't know what else to do. I want to see him lose some weight and be able to keep it off. He's yoyo'd within about 50lbs for as long as we've been together. But I'm also afraid of seeing him too skinny and not the person he is today.

geomon

Tomorrow is the big day and the butterflies in my stomach are going overtime. I am freaking out so much right now. I'm sure I'll be fine but still. I suppose everyone gets jitters before something like this.

You're going to do great man, don't even sweat it. I wasn't nervous at all on the day I had mine, I just wanted to get it over with.

Girlfriend here. I just wanted to chime in on this because it's been stressful for me as well. I've been trying to come up with recipes for his diet afterwards, and what will be suitable to puree. I bought jelly size canning jars for portion control. I pureed a safe version of chicken pot sans-pie and it's in the freezer. I have a pot of beanless chili ready to be jarred. I bought chicken feet for making broth. And I was going to get a couple knuckle bones for beef broth. His diet for the first month is very restrictive and no carbs or starches for at least six months. I know each doctor has their own rules, but I'm not going to play the everyone else is doing it game.

Food is really my only control over all this, so I've dug my heels in it and don't know what else to do. I want to see him lose some weight and be able to keep it off. He's yoyo'd within about 50lbs for as long as we've been together. But I'm also afraid of seeing him too skinny and not the person he is today.

Do not let him cheat. Do not let him drink too much, too soon. He'll get dumping syndrome and while he'll feel like he's dying, he won't be. It really sucks and it lasts for hours. As for his eating schedule, everyone is different. I know people who couldn't handle solids for over a month. Myself, I actually managed to skip the puree stage almost entirely. Just stick to the schedule and he'll let you know what he can handle. Don't push anything, just let it go naturally.

Ultimately, he's doing this because he feels he needs the change in his life. He's doing this to better himself. Just keep that in mind.

Kumquat

Sorry it's been a few days but I have not had the energy or focus to even get on computer until now.

The gastric sleeve portion of my surgery went absolutely fine. There were some complications with my gallbladder though. According to my surgeon it was inflamed really badly and got stuck to something which made taking it out hard.

So I was pretty much medicated out of it that first day. My back was killing me for some reason, the nurse blamed the operating table. Took me about 3 hours because of the gallbladder issue.

I came home the next day and all those wonderful drugs they were pumping into my IV were gone and it was the absolute worst. No matter how much I walked there were gas pockets just ripping me up. Felt like I was being stabbed over and over. It made for a very restless night and while I am normally a back sleeper I ended up sleeping on my left side as that seemed to relieve at least some of the pressure. I think I was finally passing gas on both ends and by the time morning came around I was feeling better. Still in a lot of pain but mostly from the actual operation and not the gas. I've been trying to drink a protein shake today. Think it has taken me like 3 hours to drink half of it. I don't think I will ever forget this experience heh.

And here is a wonderful view of my incisions.

Updudq1.jpg

Now I need to walk around. The gas never rests.

geomon

Congrats on the successful operation. I know that pain well. I had to sleep sitting up in bed for a week because the pain was unbelievable if I laid down.

Sorry it's been a few days but I have not had the energy or focus to even get on computer until now.

The gastric sleeve portion of my surgery went absolutely fine. There were some complications with my gallbladder though. According to my surgeon it was inflamed really badly and got stuck to something which made taking it out hard.

So I was pretty much medicated out of it that first day. My back was killing me for some reason, the nurse blamed the operating table. Took me about 3 hours because of the gallbladder issue.

I came home the next day and all those wonderful drugs they were pumping into my IV were gone and it was the absolute worst. No matter how much I walked there were gas pockets just ripping me up. Felt like I was being stabbed over and over. It made for a very restless night and while I am normally a back sleeper I ended up sleeping on my left side as that seemed to relieve at least some of the pressure. I think I was finally passing gas on both ends and by the time morning came around I was feeling better. Still in a lot of pain but mostly from the actual operation and not the gas. I've been trying to drink a protein shake today. Think it has taken me like 3 hours to drink half of it. I don't think I will ever forget this experience heh.

And here is a wonderful view of my incisions.

Updudq1.jpg

Now I need to walk around. The gas never rests.

How bad does it hurt to walk right now? Is this pain from the complication itself or is this about average pain par the course for the surgery? This is some helpful information. Though it does make me feel just a touch squeamish.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah you're going to have to tough it out for a bit until it all heals. It's not to be taken lightly.

Good that everything went well though.Take good care of yourself the coming weeks.

geomon

How bad does it hurt to walk right now? Is this pain from the complication itself or is this about average pain par the course for the surgery? This is some helpful information. Though it does make me feel just a touch squeamish.

The pain is par for the course. I can't speak for him but as for myself the pain was excruciating and made it very difficult to move. That's just for me though, it's different for everyone. Some people are back at work the next day with no issue other than some slight discomfort.

Kumquat

Sorry I have been so quiet. Been mostly spending time quietly recovering with family and friends.

The pain while walking isn't really a thing. As long as I dont make sudden movements, twist, or bend down I am fine. The real pain points are coughing, laughing, getting up from a chair or bed, etc. Let me correct, that is the pain in the incision port and it has been really painful at some points.

The real pain is gas. Like OMG. It loves to get stuck in this pocket right under my left side just below where the chest meets the belly and it is the worst. Doesn't matter if I take Gas-X or walking hither and yon or whatever, the only thing that relieves the knife like sensation is laying on my left side.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night since my surgery. I'm hoping that will calm down as I heal.

Just gotta keep my eye on the prize.

Also, screw these cravings for chicken fajitas.

oneils

I'm confused - why do you need to ask him over GAF if you're his girlfriend?

Kumquat and douche are two different guys getting the same surgery. Douche's girlfriend was asking kumquat those questions.

Kumquat. Good to hear that you recovering. Good luck!

kendrid

Banned
He's yoyo'd within about 50lbs for as long as we've been together. But I'm also afraid of seeing him too skinny and not the person he is today.

He will always be the person he is today. Do not worry about that.

I was never extremely overweight but I lost 40 pounds and I am currently at 170 pounds. When I got to 210 and my pants were all getting too tight and internally I said "that is enough" and changed my life. I was heading down the road to 300lbs. I hated my job which made me lazy and gave me excuses to leave the office to eat out a lot.

I hear from family and coworkers all the time 'You are too skinny. Eat something!' That pisses me off so much. I worked out and ate less for years to get into a healthy weight and having people tell me I'm 'too skinny', ugh, god it pisses me off. I mention how I purposely lost weight and most people treat it like 'whatever'. It is hard as sometimes for a few weeks I slip on the workouts and eating out because in my head I hear "you are too skinny." I am disciplined enough to say F them and get back to 170.

My wife lost similar weight to her proportions and of course no one would dare say the same to her.

OP - I have a family member that went through the surgery, lost a ton of weight, began running and working out, and he was in shape and healthy. A few years later he met a girl (overweight) and quickly slipped back into his old habits. He is now back where he started. Once you get there (and you WILL) don't let anyone make you lazy or fall back into old patterns.

geomon

Sorry I have been so quiet. Been mostly spending time quietly recovering with family and friends.

The pain while walking isn't really a thing. As long as I dont make sudden movements, twist, or bend down I am fine. The real pain points are coughing, laughing, getting up from a chair or bed, etc. Let me correct, that is the pain in the incision port and it has been really painful at some points.

The real pain is gas. Like OMG. It loves to get stuck in this pocket right under my left side just below where the chest meets the belly and it is the worst. Doesn't matter if I take Gas-X or walking hither and yon or whatever, the only thing that relieves the knife like sensation is laying on my left side.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night since my surgery. I'm hoping that will calm down as I heal.

Just gotta keep my eye on the prize.

Also, screw these cravings for chicken fajitas.

I lost my cravings after the 4 week liquid diet. I probably didn't have another craving until about 6 months later.

Wag

I was 275. I lost 80lbs by changing my lifestyle, diet and exercise.

Good luck to you OP, I hope it works out for you.

I was 275. I lost 80lbs by changing my lifestyle, diet and exercise.

Good luck to you OP, I hope it works out for you.

How long it take you? It took me about eight months or so to lose 70 lbs. Then I got progressively worse and the progress started to slowly reverse. Though I'm fighting it to make sure I don't get back past 400 again.

Kumquat

So, update.

It's been a really tough time lately.

First, the good news. I was weighed on Wednesday and I am down to 360. I lost about 15 pounds in the two weeks leading up to the surgery and I dropped another 15 my first week.

The bad news, I started having a searing pain in my lower left abdomen and I was rushed in for an emergency CT scan. Fortunately my sleeve appears to be fine. On the negative side some bacteria are taking advantage of my bodies weakened state and the CT scan confirmed a diagnoses of diverticulitis.

I have mostly been trying my best not to throw up which could really mess everything up. The nausea is horrendous though and my nausea meds can only do so much. I'm supposed to be drinking three protein drinks a day and I am barely getting one right now. This on top of everything else is just the absolute worst. I'm just doing my best to stay hydrated at this point but I may have to check into an ER just to get some fluids and nutrition into my system. It's brutal.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Good luck man. Sucks to hear that you've been trying to be healthy and still haven't met your weight goals. I sincerely hope this works out for you and improves your QOL.

Edit: Oof, ^^ that sounds awful. Don't hesitate to go to an ER if you have to. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, for whatever that's worth.

halfbeast

Banned
So, update.

It's been a really tough time lately.

First, the good news. I was weighed on Wednesday and I am down to 360. I lost about 15 pounds in the two weeks leading up to the surgery and I dropped another 15 my first week.

The bad news, I started having a searing pain in my lower left abdomen and I was rushed in for an emergency CT scan. Fortunately my sleeve appears to be fine. On the negative side some bacteria are taking advantage of my bodies weakened state and the CT scan confirmed a diagnoses of diverticulitis.

I have mostly been trying my best not to throw up which could really mess everything up. The nausea is horrendous though and my nausea meds can only do so much. I'm supposed to be drinking three protein drinks a day and I am barely getting one right now. This on top of everything else is just the absolute worst. I'm just doing my best to stay hydrated at this point but I may have to check into an ER just to get some fluids and nutrition into my system. It's brutal.

huh, that's exactly what happened to me. did they say that it's common or something? as for food, yeah the first couple of weeks I could barely get one meal down, but it got easier. then I only had to struggle with the occasional puking. :/

Kumquat

huh, that's exactly what happened to me. did they say that it's common or something? as for food, yeah the first couple of weeks I could barely get one meal down, but it got easier. then I only had to struggle with the occasional puking. :/

It's not. Bacteria just took advantage of my body devoting its energy to repairing the surgical damage and went banzai on my colon.

Kumquat

Went in for another checkup yesterday. I am now at 349 pounds so I have lost 41 pounds total.

One of the antibiotics makes everything taste like bitter and metal. It's horrible when trying to consume liquids and I am on the line of dehydration constantly.

On the other hand I feel slightly better and my diet has expanded again. Getting to eat semi real food is nice.The nausea with the antibiotics is crazy bad but I'm picking up a new anti nausea med today. I hope it clears it up better.

Went in for another checkup yesterday. I am now at 349 pounds so I have lost 41 pounds total.

One of the antibiotics makes everything taste like bitter and metal. It's horrible when trying to consume liquids and I am on the line of dehydration constantly.

On the other hand I feel slightly better and my diet has expanded again. Getting to eat semi real food is nice.The nausea with the antibiotics is crazy bad but I'm picking up a new anti nausea med today. I hope it clears it up better.

Just saw this thread with your bump. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time with everything, but keep at it man. You can definitely do this thing.

Megasoum

Banned
I've been thinking more and more about getting the procedure recently.

I'm 33, about 5'4"/5'5" and I'm at 355lbs right now. I was at 380lbs 2 1/2 years ago when I finally decided to do something about it. I signed up for the gym with a trainer (first time in my life I ever set foot in a gym!). Eventually I also started seeing a nutritionist.

Over the next 2 years or so I lost about 90lbs (I was around 287 at the same date last year).

Then life kinda got in the way. I changed job, I changed trainer at the gym (he moved to a different province) and I got a bit of a complicated story going with a girl close to me.

One thing led to another and I started a depression and regained over 60lbs. I started seeing a therapist and taking anti-depressant over the summer. Now my head is much better but the motivation won't come back. This is super frustrating (much more than when I started the whole thing) since I have sampled how is life with almost 100lbs less so I know how much better I could feel right now and I see everyday when I'm at the gym how I can't do the same stuff I was doing last year. So I know what I'm doing wrong and I know how I could fix it but my brain just won't give a shit.

Anyway, I've been thinking more and more about the surgery over the last couple of weeks. I'm in Montréal (Canada) so we have two choices (afaik), we can go through the public system which is free but takes a LONG time or we can go private and then it's much quicker but super expensive.

I filled up the form to get a first appointement at the hospital (public) and I got an automated answer telling me that there's a 1 year waiting period before you can get the first appointement to just talk with the doctor... I've heard from multiple sources that the wait time for the actual surgery is around 5 years and that is if they consider your case a priority...

Now I'm thinking about taking an appointement with the private clinic (funnily enough, the clinic is run by the exact same doctors who work at the public hospital...) to have more information and an idea of the price since I don't want to wait 5 years. I'm not necessarly opposed to going in debts for the procedure since this is a life changing thing but that's still a huge amount of money. The only number I've ever heard was something like 20k but that was a long time ago and I didn't get any details so I have no idea how much it really is these days. Anybody from Québec (or even Canada) knows how much it costs in the private sector?

41 lbs of weight loss already? That's good. I've had around 20 lbs of weight loss just by stopping carbs, but the lowest I've ever been is 320. So I'm still pushing on the procedure, and just waiting for the neurologist to give the ok.

Kumquat

41 lbs of weight loss already? That's good. I've had around 20 lbs of weight loss just by stopping carbs, but the lowest I've ever been is 320. So I'm still pushing on the procedure, and just waiting for the neurologist to give the ok.

Keep in mind I'm losing weight faster than I should be because of the diverticulitis. I was really bad off for while

Megasoum

Banned
Well I finally managed to reach someone at the private clinic that does the surgery here in Montreal. It's 20 800$ CAD for the surgery, 10 nutritionist appointments, one endocrinology appointment and one cardiologist appointment.

Pretty much what I expected. I have a free appointment next week to meet the doctor and get more information.

I'll continue my reflection from there to see if I want to go through with it.

Funny coincidence, there's a Québec TV channel that just started this week a new 10 episode documentary show on bariatric surgery following people who got it and others who will soon. They even interview the doctor I'll be meeting next week. Very interesting stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well I finally managed to reach someone at the private clinic that does the surgery here in Montreal. It's 20 800$ CAD for the surgery, 10 nutritionist appointments, one endocrinology appointment and one cardiologist appointment.

Pretty much what I expected. I have a free appointment next week to meet the doctor and get more information.

I'll continue my reflection from there to see if I want to go through with it.

Funny coincidence, there's a Québec TV channel that just started this week a new 10 episode documentary show on bariatric surgery following people who got it and others who will soon. They even interview the doctor I'll be meeting next week. Very interesting stuff.

It's not covered by health care? It is here in Ontario as long as you're qualified by being over a certain BMI and it sounds like you would be.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just a few posts up you'll see why he is looking at private.

Oops, my bad, I didn't read his whole post.

Still, that's a crazy long wait time. For my wife the entire process from getting a recommendation from the doctor to the actual surgery was about a year. It's less for some people and could have been less for her but she missed one appointment due to an error on their end and it was rescheduled for 2 months later.

Megasoum

Banned
Oops, my bad, I didn't read his whole post.

Still, that's a crazy long wait time. For my wife the entire process from getting a recommendation from the doctor to the actual surgery was about a year. It's less for some people and could have been less for her but she missed one appointment due to an error on their end and it was rescheduled for 2 months later.

Yeah it's crazy long if you go public here. It takes one year just to get the first consultation with the doctor to get information. They can rush them for people with other serious health issue but I doubt I would qualify. I mean, it would be hard to convince the doctor that the dude who still goes to the gym at least 4 times a week needs to be rushed for the surgery lol.

By going the private route I could have it done before Christmas which is crazy! 20k is a huge amount of money for sure but considering, I think it's totally worth it. People buy cars (I don't need one) for twice that price... That surgery would have a positive effect for the rest of my life.

The more time pass the more I want to do it. Basically at this point I'm just waiting to see the doctor next week to learn the last bits of info I need and get answers to my questions before taking my final decision.

I've been thinking more and more about getting the procedure recently.

I'm 33, about 5'4"/5'5" and I'm at 355lbs right now. I was at 380lbs 2 1/2 years ago when I finally decided to do something about it. I signed up for the gym with a trainer (first time in my life I ever set foot in a gym!). Eventually I also started seeing a nutritionist.

Over the next 2 years or so I lost about 90lbs (I was around 287 at the same date last year).

Then life kinda got in the way. I changed job, I changed trainer at the gym (he moved to a different province) and I got a bit of a complicated story going with a girl close to me.

One thing led to another and I started a depression and regained over 60lbs. I started seeing a therapist and taking anti-depressant over the summer. Now my head is much better but the motivation won't come back. This is super frustrating (much more than when I started the whole thing) since I have sampled how is life with almost 100lbs less so I know how much better I could feel right now and I see everyday when I'm at the gym how I can't do the same stuff I was doing last year. So I know what I'm doing wrong and I know how I could fix it but my brain just won't give a shit.

Anyway, I've been thinking more and more about the surgery over the last couple of weeks. I'm in Montréal (Canada) so we have two choices (afaik), we can go through the public system which is free but takes a LONG time or we can go private and then it's much quicker but super expensive.

I filled up the form to get a first appointement at the hospital (public) and I got an automated answer telling me that there's a 1 year waiting period before you can get the first appointement to just talk with the doctor... I've heard from multiple sources that the wait time for the actual surgery is around 5 years and that is if they consider your case a priority...

Now I'm thinking about taking an appointement with the private clinic (funnily enough, the clinic is run by the exact same doctors who work at the public hospital...) to have more information and an idea of the price since I don't want to wait 5 years. I'm not necessarly opposed to going in debts for the procedure since this is a life changing thing but that's still a huge amount of money. The only number I've ever heard was something like 20k but that was a long time ago and I didn't get any details so I have no idea how much it really is these days. Anybody from Québec (or even Canada) knows how much it costs in the private sector?

Wow that kind of blows. I'm on medicare right now, and I'm roughly a foot taller, but about the same weight or near it "closer to 360 now" If I was in your position, I'd probably be delayed just as much as you, or even more since I've had some say that my muscle mass is bigger than most people give credit for.

But jesus, that is a ton of money. It is something that changes your life, but wow. That's an awful big chunk of change. But being under 250 and getting weight under control is a gift and worth almost anything.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow that kind of blows. I'm on medicare right now, and I'm roughly a foot taller, but about the same weight or near it "closer to 360 now" If I was in your position, I'd probably be delayed just as much as you, or even more since I've had some say that my muscle mass is bigger than most people give credit for.

But jesus, that is a ton of money. It is something that changes your life, but wow. That's an awful big chunk of change. But being under 250 and getting weight under control is a gift and worth almost anything.

Yeah for sure. I have a meeting with the doctor on wednesday to get answers to all my questions and then I'll decide.

Honestly I'm pretty much set on doing it already but I just need to clear the last couple of details and see if I can finance it properly.

oneils

How you doing lately? Hopefully the nausea has receeded and you are in less plain.

Megasoum

Banned
Just came back from the clinic.

I'll be getting a gastric sleeve. I just need to finalize the financing before we are officially "Go". Damn thing is so expansive...ugh... so 20 800$ for the surgery itself, around 480$ for the Optifast and potentially 550$ for the Sleep Apnea test.

I might be able to get some of that 20k rembursed through my insurances but that's unlikely.

I might be able to get the Optifast on my insurance but also unlikely (tho more likely than for the surgery).

I already did the Sleep Apnea test years ago at the hospital but never actually heard back from the doctor back then (I assumed that no news is good news back then) so I'll see if I can track down the results and if I can then I might not have to redo the test.

Keep in mind that those are all Canadian prices so that surgery is 15 900$ USD and the Optifast would be 365 USD.

anyway... Still a shit ton of money.

Just came back from the clinic.

I'll be getting a gastric sleeve. I just need to finalize the financing before we are officially "Go". Damn thing is so expansive...ugh... so 20 800$ for the surgery itself, around 480$ for the Optifast and potentially 550$ for the Sleep Apnea test.

I might be able to get some of that 20k rembursed through my insurances but that's unlikely.

I might be able to get the Optifast on my insurance but also unlikely (tho more likely than for the surgery).

I already did the Sleep Apnea test years ago at the hospital but never actually heard back from the doctor back then (I assumed that no news is good news back then) so I'll see if I can track down the results and if I can then I might not have to redo the test.

Keep in mind that those are all Canadian prices so that surgery is 15 900$ USD and the Optifast would be 365 USD.

anyway... Still a shit ton of money.

Damn. I think the actual procedure itself is about 6-8 grand in California. Though that doesn't cover the hospital stay, the nurses, the other people, and all that other stuff.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but they said it's from a tongue that's 50% larger than normal and not as much from weight.

The Cpap machines help a ton though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom